Ticket Price Increase

PirateFrank

It will increase the bottom line as well and that's what it's really all about. That's really all they care about.

They're a publicly traded company with shareholders who care about the bottom number on the P&L. There's *nothing* wrong with that....

It boggles my mind how so many people expect Disney to provide these theme parks as a free service to people. Its just not true. Those parks are there to make money...if you can't afford the product disney creates, don't buy it. They seem to have a good idea as to what price the market will bear....

regardless, the more money Disney makes, the better off the company and by extension, the theme parks will be.

wizards8507

Not big on economics are you? They raise prices based on what their forecast of overall costs are for the coming cycle. My post didn't say that they raised their prices solely because of fuel costs, I was pointing out that fuel costs contribute more to Disney's costs than to the general public's cost and that therefore the comparison between the National mean inflation rate and Disney's percentage increase in ticket prices was not a valid one.

Surprisingly for most posters, the world is not black and white. :rolleyes:

They're a publicly traded company with shareholders who care about the bottom number on the P&L. There's *nothing* wrong with that....

It boggles my mind how so many people expect Disney to provide these theme parks as a free service to people. Its just not true. Those parks are there to make money...if you can't afford the product disney creates, don't buy it. They seem to have a good idea as to what price the market will bear....

regardless, the more money Disney makes, the better off the company and by extension, the theme parks will be.

Man, where were you fine gentlemen when I was getting flamed for three pages?

jakeman

I understand what he's saying. All of WDW is basically pure Americana, not to mention the patriotic parades, American celebrations, etc.
Oh that's just silly. That the same as declaring every fortune cookie company is sympathetic to China.

The family that saves up to go to Disney on their vacation is being pushed out. That's Disney's decision.
No it's not. It's the family's decision to either save more or not go.

My argument is that WDW's product doesn't justify the price hikes.
That's an opinion of course.

misterID

Oh that's just silly. That the same as declaring every fortune cookie company is sympathetic to China.

No it's not. It's the family's decision to either save more or not go.

That's an opinion of course.

Disney was built on patriotism. Just google Disney + patriotism. That's why I said I understood what he was saying.

Families have been pushed out. Sorry, they have. They live on a budget, so they don't go. Disney knows that some people can't afford to go when they keep increasing prices, on top of how much money you (over) spend inside the parks, and they're okay with that. Nothing too difficult to understand there.

All of what I said is my opinion, of course. But some people here mistake their opinions as fact.

Um, people were saying the theme parks should be free?? That's news to me :lookaroun

That last part just isn't true. Just because they're making more money doesn't mean that money will benefit the parks, outside simple upkeep. Actually, hasn't TDO been more focused on cost cutting while making more profits?

jakeman

Disney was built on patriotism. Just google Disney + patriotism. That's why I said I understood what he was saying.
Was and is are two different things. While the company may have embraced that in the past, I don't see any current evidence that they still hold those same views.

Families have been pushed out. Sorry, they have. They live on a budget, so they don't go. Disney knows that some people can't afford to go when they keep increasing prices, on top of how much money you (over) spend inside the parks, and they're okay with that. Nothing too difficult to understand there.
I'm not disagreeing with the basic premise, but you can't fault Disney for testing what the market can bear.

If the family can't afford a trip to WDW then that is the family's issue not Disney's until the time comes that their pricing structure starts to adversely affect attendance, and by extension profits.

erasure fan1

except that the parks really are not getting that much better. Just look around the parks and its plain as day. Countless effects and AAs broken down or not working properly for years at a time. Customer service is not even close to what it was.

ABigBrassBand

I think that has a lot of truth to it. I know it does for me, my parents took me when I was a kid and I want to give that same experience to my kids. Disney knows this and feeds off of that nostalgia knowing we will pay whatever price. Again, the only thing that will change anything is people not going. As much as it pains me, after our trip this year, the next year will be shorter and after that maybe every few years a full stay.

We used to stay for over a week, now it's been cut down to a weekend, and on our upcoming DLP trip, to a day :lol:

Rowdy

except that the parks really are not getting that much better. Just look around the parks and its plain as day. Countless effects and AAs broken down or not working properly for years at a time. Customer service is not even close to what it was.

Well, to be fair, I don't think Disney's making as much just because they raise their ticket prices. Granted, I could be mistake as I do not know the actual numbers. But things are a lot more expensive these days. I don't think 3 dollars exactly cuts slack on Disney in today's economy.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Man, where were you fine gentlemen when I was getting flamed for three pages?

I can't be everywhere all the time... :lol:

"Plain as day"? While you're entitled to hold that opinion, it is not shared by all.

I look around the parks and my eyes are still filled with wonder. I thoroughly enjoy the excellent customer service I receive. I'm no pixie-dust-snorting fanboi. I'm quite prepared to be critical when I believe it to be deserved, but sorry... I'm still a fan. :shrug:

wizards8507

I can't be everywhere all the time... :lol:

"Plain as day"? While you're entitled to hold that opinion, it is not shared by all.

I look around the parks and my eyes are still filled with wonder. I thoroughly enjoy the excellent customer service I receive. I'm no pixie-dust-snorting fanboi. I'm quite prepared to be critical when I believe it to be deserved, but sorry... I'm still a fan. :shrug:

Well said, Monty.

One wonders why someone who is utterly disgusted with the state of Walt Disney World would spend significant amounts of time on "An Unofficial Walt Disney World Fan Site."

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
We used to stay for over a week, now it's been cut down to a weekend, and on our upcoming DLP trip, to a day :lol:

Last year I did four trips to WDW and one to Disneyland, this year I'm doing two trips to WDW... Nothing to do with Disney's ticket pricing, just how things worked out. :shrug:

Rowdy

To be honest, I don't see how $3 a day is an entirely big deal. Especially when you're talking $1500 vacation packages.

wizards8507

To be honest, I don't see how $3 a day is an entirely big deal. Especially when you're talking $1500 vacation packages.

Yep... If an extra $60 on your total Walt Disney World vacation bill is going to put you over the edge, you need to seriously reevaluate your family's budget and go on a year when there's a little more wiggle room.

Crockett

Banned
Just let people get it out of their system. It happened when the increase was announced for this year, last year, the year before, the year before, the year before....and will happen again next summer when prices go up yet again. It's the same script: "Shame on Disney!....Okay, now I miss Disney....hey, we're BACK at Disney!" Just let the initial frustration work itself out, and they will be back on Space Mtn before you know it. ;)
And if people threaten to "not go back" because of price hikes (unlikely), Disney still gets record number of foreign visitors to make up for that. (Read the Webmaster's thread on record number of South American tour groups coming this summer).
Despite the initial sound-off against price hikes, Disney will do just fine, and still reel 'em in.

Winning
url

wizards8507

Just let people get it out of their system. It happened when the increase was announced for this year, last year, the year before, the year before, the year before....and will happen again next summer when prices go up yet again. It's the same script: "Shame on Disney!....Okay, now I miss Disney....hey, we're BACK at Disney!" Just let the initial frustration work itself out, and they will be back on Space Mtn before you know it. ;)
And it people threaten to "not go back" because of price hikes (unlikely), Disney still gets record number of foreign visitors to make up for that. (Read the Webmaster's thread on record number South American tour groups coming this summer).
Despite the initial sound-off against price hikes, Disney will do just fine, and still reel 'em in.

Well said, Crockett. We've disagreed in the past but this was a really great post. I'll never understand the people bent on complaining but I suppose they will do so either way and it really doesn't affect me.

P.S. Harry Potter still sucks.

erasure fan1

Being a fan really doesnt mean you have to ignore things and swallow anything they try and feed you. Why is it so wrong to want the best for your favorite vacation spot? If no one holds them to a higher standard, then what reason do they have to do it?

Well said, Monty.

One wonders why someone who is utterly disgusted with the state of Walt Disney World would spend significant amounts of time on "An Unofficial Walt Disney World Fan Site."

Funny, I dont remember ever typing "utterly disgusted" in my post. The point was someone said if Disney makes more money than it will be reflected in the parks. My point was, that hasnt happened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom