Ticket Price Increase

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It is unfortunate for some people, I understand. But business is business. And if you start getting a bleeding/sympathetic heart in the U.S. business market, especially when competing for tourist dollars, you will be crushed. Disney knows what it is doing.

I totally agree. I also find it funny that you don't see people demanding that Starbucks drop it's prices so the less fortunate can have designer coffee.

Admiral01

Premium Member
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but when I upgraded my girlfriend's WDW Annual Pass to a Premier Pass yesterday, we were charged the price difference based on $749 instead of $700 as it had been last year. The Disneyland ticket office told me that the Premier Passport increased in price from $700 to $749 on Sunday...which sounds like it coincided with the other ticket price increases. We should have gone to Disneyland on Saturday instead of Monday...

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Speaking of rude, I've spotted a few rude comments in this thread. "Not big on economics?" How does that push the discussion forward. That's a personal attack. I'm a member of Omicron Delta Epsilon, the national honors society in economics. You probably shouldn't be saying things like that.

OK, perhaps it was rude. You chose to take one point from my previous post and denigrate it as though it was the entire crux of my argument. I reacted poorly because you entirely missed the actual point of my post. As I said, the world is not black and white. I referred to fuel costs simply as an example of why comparing the inflation rate to the percentage increase in ticket prices doesn't work. I could have done a complete breakdown of the myriad factors that influence both, but this is a fan forum, not a PHD review panel... My bad. :rolleyes:

menamechris

Original Poster
There's nothing funnier than a college kid behaving as though he is the world's foremost authority on whatever reading assignment he happened to have for class last week.

Do econ classes cover the resulting effects of the long term loss of brand loyalty and goodwill through short term profit motive decisions? How about the effects on a company (or division) when they are no longer viewed as the clear #1 brand in their industry?

Okay - best post of the thread. :p

Seriously though, I agree. I am inclined to not listen to what otherwise could be sound points when they are prefaced with insults and a false sense of superiority. It is a strong indicator of immaturity.

WDWFigment

Okay - best post of the thread. :p

Seriously though, I agree. I am inclined to not listen to what otherwise could be sound points when they are prefaced with insults and a false sense of superiority. It is a strong indicator of immaturity.

Wait, what?! So you're saying I shouldn't preface my posts with, "ALL LISTEN TO MY MIGHTY WORDS, AS I HAVE 13 DEGREES IN THIS SUBJECT (BUT NO USELESS REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE!), AND I WEAR A GOLD MEDALLION AROUND MY NECK THAT WAS AWARDED TO ME BY THE GOV'T FOR MY INFINITE WISDOM ON THIS TOPIC!"

I love to discuss the business side of Disney as much as the next guy, but year-after-year I really don't know why I let myself get dragged into these posts concerning price increases. Whenever something relating to price comes up, only about 10% of posters in the thread discuss the issue rationally and objectively. The rest just seem to respond based upon emotion or invoke what the classic phrase: "Walt would want," or state that, "if you can't afford increases, don't go." Neither types of comments, on either side of the argument/discussion, that proceed in that manner, advance the discussion in any constructive way.

In other words, much like refillable mugs, ECVs, or any topic that comes up in Congress, this discussion always devolves into a meaningless thread of people yelling past one another. Guys, do we really want to be on the same level as Congress?!

jakeman

Wait, what?! So you're saying I shouldn't preface my posts with, "ALL LISTEN TO MY MIGHTY WORDS, AS I HAVE 13 DEGREES IN THIS SUBJECT (BUT NO USELESS REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE!), AND I WEAR A GOLD MEDALLION AROUND MY NECK THAT WAS AWARDED TO ME BY THE GOV'T FOR MY INFINITE WISDOM ON THIS TOPIC!"

I love to discuss the business side of Disney as much as the next guy, but year-after-year I really don't know why I let myself get dragged into these posts concerning price increases. Whenever something relating to price comes up, only about 10% of posters in the thread discuss the issue rationally and objectively. The rest just seem to respond based upon emotion or invoke what the classic phrase: "Walt would want," or state that, "if you can't afford increases, don't go." Neither types of comments, on either side of the argument/discussion, that proceed in that manner, advance the discussion in any constructive way.

In other words, much like refillable mugs, ECVs, or any topic that comes up in Congress, this discussion always devolves into a meaningless thread of people yelling past one another. Guys, do we really want to be on the same level as Congress?!
When it comes down to it, there really isn't much of a discussion though.

Disney will continue to increase prices as much as they feel the market will tolerate. Some people will be priced out of a vacation because of it.

That's really all it is.

The value one gets from the product is a personal opinion and not really a productive debate (which I think is what you are speaking about).

Oh and I'm with you about bringing Remember... to WDW. It was an awesome show! :wave:

hrcollectibles

I'm flipping WDW off right now...wish they could see it. Another year, another increase...and this time 3 bucks more on a single day ticket? Are you kidding me? so basically it's more than $90 after taxes for ONE DAY at a park??? Insane. I have a vacation week in a little over a week and planned to spend three of the days at WDW, two at Universal, and one at Busch Gardens. Now I don't even know if I want to spend the money to go to Disney at all. Maybe I'll just save towards later this year when I go to California again. Good job TDO...once again my money is heading to the other coast since you keep ripping us off. :mad::mad::mad:

The price you are quoting is a non Florida resident ticket. As the Florida Resident tickets are less than the non Florida Resident tickets. It is considerably less per day for a three day. Most guests buy multiple day tickets , meaning the less they pay per day. The price for everything has gone up including on products that are necessary to live.

CJR

Please. Take one Principles of Economics course in your life. Day three or four you should probably cover Price Elasticity.

That's an example of being very rude. That adds nothing to the discussion nor supports your points.

MontyMon, I wasn't meaning to single you out, I was just saying that we need to watch what we write. That goes for me too. My point is that we can argue without resorting to name calling and insulting each other.

Never watched Southwest's reality show "Airline" eh? After seeing how terrible their customer service was and how unsatisfied the customers were in every episode (why Southwest even allowed the show to air is beyond me) I will never fly on that airline.

Don't believe everything you watch. Chances are Southwest allowed it to air because it was a joke and everyone knows it. Southwest is the top selling airline out there and it is for a reason. My experience with Southwest has been incredible and I will go off of my past experience than a movie who's goal is to make you hate the company (and probably filled with actors).

Now, back on topic...
Disney's raising their prices again? Will it stop people from going? Not right now. If they continue to raise them at the same percentage ever year for the next twenty years? Probably. The ticket is at least double of what it was twenty years ago (I don't remember how much it was exactly). Twenty years from now, unless I'm rich, I won't be paying $170 for a day ticket for my family of four to go the parks. At some point between then and now, Disney's going to have to change their strategy. $3-$7 increases over the next twenty years won't work like it does now.

Chewmonkey

AAA Prices have not gone up Yet

I typically buy 10 day hoppers w/WP from AAA at the discounted price, use them to get into a park on the first day, and upgrade them to an AP.

After the increase, I checked AAA, and their prices hadn't gone up yet. I paid 369.35 for the 10 day hopper w/ WP, which when converted to full gate price will give me a credit of 427.07 towards my AP. I still have to pay the new rate for the AP (552.74), but I saved about $58 pp doing it this way.

Tigger1988

Don't believe everything you watch. Chances are Southwest allowed it to air because it was a joke and everyone knows it. Southwest is the top selling airline out there and it is for a reason. My experience with Southwest has been incredible and I will go off of my past experience than a movie who's goal is to make you hate the company (and probably filled with actors).

It wasn't a "movie" it was a television show that aired for several seasons that was sponsored by Southwest themselves. Southwest and their employees were involved in the making of the show, if they wanted to portray themselves as a joke they succeeded.

Maybe you shouldn't comment if you have zero idea what I'm even referencing.

captainkidd

For the record, I'm not renewing my annual pass for the first time in 6 years this year and am not going to WDW next year. Granted, it's basically because we're going to Disneyland. But I see the day of me being an AP holder coming to an end. Over $500. That's a little crazy. Once Disney hits the $100 per day plateau, I'll call it a day.

Disney USED to be a great vacation value in comparison with other destinations. With cruise prices what they are and more Sandals like resorts popping up, Disney is starting to look like a MAJOR rip-off.

CJR

It wasn't a "movie" it was a television show that aired for several seasons that was sponsored by Southwest themselves. Southwest and their employees were involved in the making of the show, if they wanted to portray themselves as a joke they succeeded.

Maybe you shouldn't comment if you have zero idea what I'm even referencing.

I don't really care what you're referencing. I'm talking about MY Southwest experiences. They've all been great. Everyone I know who has flown on Southwest has had a great experience. That's what I was saying. My personal experience > a tv show/movie. It's good to have an opinion of your own based you your experience over the views of a tv show/movie. That's what I'm saying. Being a tv show instead of a movie, being sponsored by Southwest are irrelevant to the point I was making.

Even if Southwest says they're the best, you shouldn't think that unless you had the best experience with them. That is the case for me.

That's off topic though. We're discussing Disney's ticket prices, which are too high, but affordable. At some point though, they won't be unless Disney changes their strategy. I'm not going to go to the parks in 20 years if it's $170 for a one day one park ticket.

Disney USED to be a great vacation value in comparison with other destinations. With cruise prices what they are and more Sandals like resorts popping up, Disney is starting to look like a MAJOR rip-off.

This is what is happening. Disney IS priced higher than the average non-Disney vacation right now. People will be able to handle it just fine. At some point down the road, Disney's going to price themselves out. By the time feedback at the exits starts coming back negative, the price will already be too high. The goal should be to avoid the negative feedback.

DougK

Every year there are all of these posts complaining about Disney's price increases but all throughout the year it seems the parks are fuller than ever. This obviously means Disney has not reached the point of being overpriced just yet, and I imagine they won't reach that point ever, barring a sudden nationwide economic collapse. I am sure they have a ton of economist-type people working on determining the proper price levels all the time.

And they do use prices for crowd control too. Can you imagine if they started a new campaign and advertised heavily saying all admission prices will be lowered say 40% for the next year? Heck let's add room rates to the 40% discount too. Do you think the parks are full NOW? They would be overrun and it would not be a pleasant experience for the staff or the guests.

njDizFan

Nobody is ever thrilled by the annual increase, but honestly this is no suprise.

Will it translate to more rides or better maintenance, probobly not.

But just for the record, where else can you go for less than $275/person for a week?( Besides of course another Disney property) and still get equal value?

I went to Virginia Beach last year instead of WDW. For 1/3 the price I got admission to Williamsburg, Busch Gardens and Water Country($100/person/week). Still wish I spent the extra money to go to WDW.

captainkidd

But just for the record, where else can you go for less than $275/person for a week?( Besides of course another Disney property) and still get equal value?

But it's not just $275 a week. It's $275 for tickets per person. You still need to get there, pay for lodging and food.

RSoxNo1

I think the most legit beef that people can have is the equality amongst the single day tickets.

If Single day tickets are $85 the belief by us fans is that the Magic Kingdom is worth $85 but the Animal Kingdom isn't. I think a better way to look at it would be that the Magic Kingdom is worth $100 and the Animal Kingdom is worth $70. I wouldn't oppose to a breakdown of single day tickets with a comparable model:

Magic Kingdom $100
Epcot $90
Hollywood Studios $80
Animal Kingdom $70

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom