Ticket Price Increase starts this Sunday!

SorcererMC

I agree. Just wanted to point out that it isn't just Disney World...it's the bulk of the entertainment and travel industry. That's an important piece of the "why".
The same thing for the 90s and early 2000s.. yes WDW grew tremendously, but so did every other theme park and amusement park in America..and overseas. It was a huge time for that industry in general.

ETA- it just isn't an accurate comparison to compare to Disney to itself. I see people do it all of the time, but there are so many other factors to consider outside of WDW. Looking at the overall industry is just as important.

Right/ push-pull. Along those same lines, I think it's important to keep in mind that Disney isn't just following the consumer or industry trends, they set them, because they are the market leader and a major (if not 'the' major) tourist destination for the eastern half of the US.

Tom P.

Interesting... as of right now on Disney's web site, if you go to purchase tickets by themselves, the Water Park Fun & More option has been removed and replaced with the Park Hopper Plus option, as previously announced. However, if you go price a package with hotel, tickets, dining, etc., it still offers the Water Park Fun & More option, not the Park Hopper Plus. I wonder why.

21stamps

Right/ push-pull. Along those same lines, I think it's important to keep in mind that Disney isn't just following the consumer or industry trends, they set them, because they are the market leader and a major (if not 'the' major) tourist destination for the eastern half of the US.
Agree to a certain extent. I don't think Cedar Fair and Six Flags are spending $20+ million on roller coasters or setting their pricing to compete with WDW. They're going after a region. These parks don't care if you go to Disney for a week..they want you there on the rest of the weekends when you're in town. They've all had large increases in admission food and drinks over the past several years as well..and they all had huge growth in the 90s and 2000s. Same with Universal on that front.
But it isn't just this segment of the industry. It's entertainment in general that has gone up. Same thing with all of these "upcharge" and "VIP" stuff. It's a trend, outside of Disney as much as inside. Hopefully it will reach its height soon. I don't know how many more large increases can be sustainable.

JoeCamel

Interesting... as of right now on Disney's web site, if you go to purchase tickets by themselves, the Water Park Fun & More option has been removed and replaced with the Park Hopper Plus option, as previously announced. However, if you go price a package with hotel, tickets, dining, etc., it still offers the Water Park Fun & More option, not the Park Hopper Plus. I wonder why.

Left hand right hand?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Magic Your Way tickets came out in 2005. The 5 day MYW ticket with park hopping and water parks was $273. It's $511 in 2017. That's an increase of 87% or 7% per year on average. Under Eisner in 1993 a 5 day Around the World pass was $170. That included admission to all 3 parks plus water parks and PI. The same ticket was $282 in 2004 just before MYW came out. Under Eisner for his last 12 years that's an increase of 66% or 5.5% a year on average. Iger has been increasing the multi-day passes faster than Eisner did.

And yet that 87% increase added NOTHING to WDW and many cuts were made. It did fund billions in buybacks which inflated Igers pay package though

xipetotec

wendysue

Looks like I'm buying an AP today.
We bought our AP on Dec. 31 when they were offering 13 months for price of 12. (Not sure if that is something that is routinely given). We didn't activate it until end of January, so we are good until end of next Feb. With the prices going so high, this will probably be the only time we get one, so plan to use it several times this year if possible.
But paying for 2 AP's looks like it starts paying off by the 2nd trip if you were to buy park hopper tickets each time you go.

Rteetz

Original Poster
Not huge increases?! We tend to go for 8-10 days and we're looking at a 70$ increase per ticket... I'd call that a pretty huge increase...
I said that before the multi-day ticket increases were known. When looking at the AP and single day increases they didn't look that big.

BigHero4

I bought my 3 day (1 park per day) no park-hopper passes (4 total) on Saturday night from Disney's website expecting a huge price increase on Sunday. Turns out, the same package on Sunday was actually $5 cheaper. Interesting... but still going to WDW!!!

BrianV

I bought my 3 day (1 park per day) no park-hopper passes (4 total) on Saturday night from Disney's website expecting a huge price increase on Sunday. Turns out, the same package on Sunday was actually $5 cheaper. Interesting... but still going to WDW!!!
Intriguing. Thanks. I think they are making it intentionally complicated not that it wasn't already pretty confusing.

msteel

I wonder how the expiring tickets affect the discount sellers.

The tickets I bought a year ago for my upcoming trip had been issued several years before I bought them. I suspect that holding tickets has been part of the business model for some sellers.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

The tickets I bought a year ago for my upcoming trip had been issued several years before I bought them. I suspect that holding tickets has been part of the business model for some sellers.
You'd think so, yeah. Disney doesn't like getting those few dollars nipped. Gotta put an end to it.

EOD K9

I usually book-end my cruises with one night at a DVC resort. The day we disembark is a park day. My girls will be three by our next trip and that means we now have to pay. We are looking at 515.00 ish for park tickets. That is truly nuts!! I may not do that this year and just enjoy the Poly.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

At the rates the tickets went up it was a pretty good investment. It's virtually impossible to find a 10% return on a product with no risk of losing value. I'm sure this will hurt some of the resellers with deeper pockets that could afford to stockpile tickets.

BrianV

At the rates the tickets went up it was a pretty good investment. It's virtually impossible to find a 10% return on a product with no risk of losing value. I'm sure this will hurt some of the resellers with deeper pockets that could afford to stockpile tickets.

But they buy in bulk and just trade them in. So at least they won't get stuck with tickets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom