Ticket Price Increase starts this Sunday!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Part of my point was the seasonality of pricing of many industries.
Seems to commonplace for fluctuation in airline/car rental pricing...and getting back to the point of this thread, my price increase comparison REALLY wasn't useful. Airline/car rental pricing are true fluctuations; both increase and DECREASE as demand dictates...too many "like" substitutes of IDENTICAL service. Disney doesn't have a true "like" substitute....and "yes", Universal is not a "like" substitute.

Drifting somewhat off subject here....Our experience has been cheap airline are easy to be had if you are willing to be flexible. The two EXTREME discounters, the Green one and Yellow one, really offer cheap fares. They come with extreme restrictions, and charge for almost everything, but if you travel light (think bookbag only), a round trip ticket from ATL to MCO, flying Tuesday - Friday can be had for sub $75.

The Yellow airline's website says "Lower fares generally available at the airport"......I can tell you that IS true, as business keeps me in airports, and I frequently get quotes from the counter agents. Most prices, round trip Atl to MCO are sub $50 when buying at the Yellow Airline's counter.....

Not just seasonal variations on ticket pricing structure for airlines, but on the same flight. All goes back to the supply/demand curve....

I'm always leary about those extreme discount carriers. What else are they cutting costs on?

BrianV

Part of my point was the seasonality of pricing of many industries.
Seems to commonplace for fluctuation in airline/car rental pricing...and getting back to the point of this thread, my price increase comparison REALLY wasn't useful. Airline/car rental pricing are true fluctuations; both increase and DECREASE as demand dictates...too many "like" substitutes of IDENTICAL service. Disney doesn't have a true "like" substitute....and "yes", Universal is not a "like" substitute.

Drifting somewhat off subject here....Our experience has been cheap airline are easy to be had if you are willing to be flexible. The two EXTREME discounters, the Green one and Yellow one, really offer cheap fares. They come with extreme restrictions, and charge for almost everything, but if you travel light (think bookbag only), a round trip ticket from ATL to MCO, flying Tuesday - Friday can be had for sub $75.

The Yellow airline's website says "Lower fares generally available at the airport"......I can tell you that IS true, as business keeps me in airports, and I frequently get quotes from the counter agents. Most prices, round trip Atl to MCO are sub $50 when buying at the Yellow Airline's counter.....

Well, Disney vs universal is kind of like Hawaii vs Florida. They are comparable to a large extent. When prices from Boston to Florida are high, they are also high to Hawaii. And vice versa.

But I agree to a large extent. We need to look at year over year increases. That is as close as a like for like.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Okay, a few of us (me included) have taken the discussion a little off base....

Given the upward trend of ticket prices (thanks @wdisney9000 for the review of prices...would love to see those figures adjusted for inflation to get a true picture), what can we expect over the next two years? A reasonable 2% - 3% annual increase? Or a huge spike in 2019 as two big projects come on line and that increase in P&R, especially PO&M, must be covered?Or something other than attendance starts to drop. The indicator the BoD cares about. And will make a CEO pay for....

Just thinking.

Well Disneyland price changes are some of the most gentle I can remember in awhile after year after year of brutal ap changes.

My guess is now that Disney has ripped the band aid off with expiration ... and tiered pricing... and a la crate everything... we see smaller price bumps spread more wide

ParentsOf4

Comparing WDW ticket price increases with household income, updated to include today's new pricing:

WDW Ticket Prices.jpg

Some observations (all prices exclude tax):
  • Average one-day ticket price at the Magic Kingdom (MK) is now $116. Last year averaged $113.84.
  • The MK one-day increase of 1.9% is the smallest since 1988.
  • For non-Florida resident tickets, the average increase is 6.9%.
  • Excluding the one-day ticket, the average price increase this time is 7.5%, the second highest increase in the last 11 years.
  • The 7.5% multiday ticket hike is somewhat deceptive. As a whole, 2 and 3-day ticket prices were essentially flat. However, the more popular 4 to 10-day tickets increased by an average 9.6%, the biggest increase since Disney created the Magic Your Way (MYW) ticket in 2005.
  • The two most common annual pass tickets increased by an average of 4.4%.
Disney took some pity on consumers of more moderate means. Those who struggle to afford WDW vacations will find the smallest increases among their least expensive tickets. Those who can afford longer stays really took it on the chin though.

Dad 2 M & M

Well, Disney vs universal is kind of like Hawaii vs Florida. They are comparable to a large extent. When prices from Boston to Florida are high, they are also high to Hawaii. And vice versa.

But I agree to a large extent. We need to look at year over year increases. That is as close as a like for like.
Agreed year to year is the closest we came come...

Dad 2 M & M

I'm always leary about those extreme discount carriers. What else are they cutting costs on?
Look at it as an e-ticket thrill ride with long lines and metal detector .... preparing you for entering the World....at least Fastpass is "free".....you have to pay for Precheck if you aim to lessen the lines

radiorae

That price increase is insane. Something about hitting that $500 mark for a 5 day park hopper is crushing my soul. I know that in reality it's not that huge of an increase... but when it's already so expensive to go it really hits you psychologically. Luckily, by some minor miracle, undercover tourist still had their 4 day parkhopper with 3 days free deal active today. Just locked in a 7-day park hopper for $419. That was a close call.

Dad 2 M & M

Comparing WDW ticket price increases with household income, updated to include today's new pricing:

View attachment 189244

• Average one-day ticket price at the Magic Kingdom (MK) is now $116. Last year averaged $113.84.
  • Excluding the one-day ticket, the average price increase this time is 7.5%, the second highest increase in the last 11 years.
  • The 7.5% multiday ticket hike is somewhat deceptive. As a whole, 2 and 3-day ticket prices were essentially flat. However, the more popular 4 to 10-day tickets increased by an average 9.6%, the biggest increase since Disney created the Magic Your Way (MYW) ticket in 2005.
Disney took some pity on consumers of more moderate means. Those who struggle to afford WDW vacations will find the smallest increases among their least expensive tickets. Those who can afford longer stays really took it on the chin though.
Nice graph, and would point out the cost of the Disney experience would be expected to be steep when comparing it to household income. One might compare the growth in disposable income instead. While disposable income is tougher to measure, most costs to the household income should only grow with inflation, and thus a disposable income line growth line would be well above and much closer to Disney ticket growth line. One point I want to make is the costs I am referring to are the generic "market basket" type to households....not talking about buying a new car, going on vacation, and thus disposable income goes down....I am also aware of the market basket containing none of the essential items that have volatile prices consumers must buy daily ...

To your bullets (sorry for my master of the obvious here):
- 7.5% 2nd highest is 11 years - it would be expected with the times we have been experiencing over the last decade and skews the %
- 9.6% for the most popular - they jumped on the obvious high demand....no surprise there

Well done graph and post....I've been off this grid for awhile...hope all is well with you and your family

BrianV

View attachment 189244

Does this whole analysis take I to account the $20 advanced purchase discount?

ParentsOf4

What do you suppose their strategy is for this? (other than the obvious more money)
It's a smart strategy to maximum revenue and operating margin.

Holding the line on WDW's least-expensive tickets encourages price-sensitive consumers to purchase those higher-margin, short-stay tickets.

Jacking up prices on lower-margin, long-stay tickets is less likely to scare away consumers with more disposable income while improving the margin on those tickets.

ParentsOf4

Does this whole analysis take I to account the $20 advanced purchase discount?
I'm basing my analysis on the current prices listed on the WDW website which, I assume, count as advanced purchase tickets.

I assume those purchasing at the gate will get tagged with the extra $20.

FutureCEO

I have a 6 day ticket that was bought two years ago never used for $325 and will finally use it this May when every else pays about $100 more

When Bob Iger became CEO in 2005, a single day ticket was $60

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This year we get the first new E-ticket since the beginnings of MYW tickets (technically EE was 2006). I wonder how much the tickets will go up when SW Land opens:confused::eek::greedy::hungover:. I guess that's why the tickets expire now too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom