Ticket Price Increase - Feb 2014

BrianLo

She said each was not much more than a half day park, not much better than AK or Studios.

I agree with what others have already said. TDL is the closest of all the castle parks to Magic Kingdom, except it has Pinocchio, a far superior Pooh, Monsters Inc. Dark ride, Star tours 2.0 and Toontown. They are both packed with people constantly as well. Unless she'd rather spends hours and hours instead on Stitch, Monsters Inc laugh floor and Carousel of Progress, it's literally not possible to think the park is inferior to MK. Let alone the superior upkeep and guests.

TDS is on the same level from a pure attraction standpoint as DCA. If someone doesn't like TDS they clearly don't like theme parks.

Are you sure she actually went to Tokyo and didn't just get turned around in the Japan pavilion at Epcot? :p

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I think a better comparison is OTHER theme parks. I can get an adult one-day adult ticket to Dollywood for $58, a one-day adult ticket to Busch Gardens Williamsburg for $72 (with better deals to be had by buying a Bounce Pass), a one-day adult ticket to Hershey Park for $60, a one-day adult ticket to Holiday World and Splashin' Safari for $45 ($40 if I purchase online), etc., etc., etc. I am just listing places we have visited in the last few years. Even better, most of these places offer ways to get discount tickets which is something that is almost impossible at WDW.

THIS!!!!! I love Cedar Point and tickets right now are $49.95 or $87.99 for the park and waterpark. Yes, you don't get near the "theming" but I'm a thrill ride junkie and they're putting up new rides almost EVERY year at Cedar Point. The food is great too (Famous Daves, Johnny Rockets, TGIFridays, Chick-fil-a, etc).

We also went to the Lost Island Waterpark in Waterloo, IA last summer and it was 50x better than either waterpark at WDW. They have a ton of "thrill" slides, and even DOLE WHIPS (yes I have photo proof!) the only thing that Disney does better was the wave pool. We paid $24 to get in.

TP2000

I've met several families who have stayed offsite who were unaware of this benefit. The worst...a woman who took her family for 8 days. They bought single day tickets each day upon arriving at the parks. She looked sick when I showed her how much she could have saved.

That's just weird. I'm assuming this woman was not blind, right? She had working vision, a basic grasp of the English language, and at least 4th grade math skills?

If the answer is yes to those questions, then I have absolutely no sympathy for her. How on earth do you walk up to a Disney World ticket booth for eight days straight and not see the giant signs touting various multi-day ticketing options and all the associated hype on saving money with them???

Disney-World-Ticket-Booth.jpg

If a woman did in fact purchase single-day tickets from a WDW ticket booth for eight days straight, then she must be profoundly stupid. Or drunk.

Cubfan300

The USA is a capitalist, free-market society and is subject to the economic forces of supply and demand (if the gov't stays out of the way). As long as demand justifies the price, businesses are free to price their products however they wish. If the market chooses not to pay those prices, there will be an adjustment. It may not be a permanent price reduction, but I guarantee that there will be a discount or free product (Memory Maker, Free Dining) to offset the higher price until the market recovers.

TP2000

Great graph there showing the pro sports ticket prices! That's not exclusive to Chicago either, that same graph applies for almost every other big city with multiple pro sports teams.

You could also do similar pricing graphs of tickets vs. inflation for all sorts of entertainment options, and you'd get massive price spikes in the last 25 years for ski resort lift tickets, broadway shows, big city art museums and science centers, etc.

It's not just Disney that's doing this with their theme parks. And you can bet that if Cedar Fair could charge the same prices as Disney for Cedar Point and Knott's Berry Farm, they would. But they don't have a product that the free market of free consumers wants that badly, so they can't. But if they could, they would.

CJR

I hate increases, but I saw it coming, which is why I ordered my AP early. I had a strong feeling they would push prices up ahead of the opening of the Mine Train ride at MK.

They should have just ripped the band-aid off and passed $100, since we all know it's coming. The AP one's the only one I really care about, I hate how it's flying up much faster than the rate of inflation. I'll probably keep mine after the first renewal and then take a year off to recoup from our losses before renewing again... strategy.

EOD K9

The wife and I are taking a quick four day trip to WDW this year and are hitting the parks for one day. The only reason we are doing that is because I have a good CM friend. If it wasn't for him, we'd just enjoy the ambiance of the place. Next year we are heading back to enjoy the jewel of TWDC.....DCL.

TP2000

Universal should lower their ticket prices (now that would make a statement)!

Even if it's just by one dollar, that would be hilarious. And Uni would probably get more publicity out of it. The way the Uni execs seem to enjoy tweaking Disney lately, I wouldn't be surprised if they did this.

JohnD

And, please, stop ... just STOP bringing Obamacare and unions into this. It's an absolute crock of total fetid BS that either are playing ANY role in this.

So, go hate the Prez and unions elsewhere. They have nothing to do with this.

The fact Bob Iger can't deliver results to Wall Street that he guaranteed has everything to do with this.

I won't get political. But you're denying reality if you say that actual laws don't affect business decisions or force businesses to pass costs onto consumers.

ParentsOf4

Great.

I know where my money is going for professional sports.

Consider the average MLB salary:

mlb-salaries-since-1970.jpg

Now if you're telling me WDW Cast Members have received these kinds of raises, or that Disney has invested this kind of money back into WDW, then I think we'd all feel our WDW ticket money was well-spent.

Somehow though, I don't either is the case. :rolleyes:

Especially since nearly all of the really big WDW ticket increases have happened in the last 15 years when, compared to prior years, practically nothing has been added and, in fact, much of what existed 15 years ago has been shuttered. :(

The reason why few complain about prices at Universal is because it's abundantly obvious that money is being reinvested wisely back into the parks.

If only we could say the same for WDW.

JohnD

So the only acceptable reason for a price increase is TDO or TDC leadership ineptness now? Well as far as this discussion is concerned. And I'm not putting this out there to fan flames, that's just the perception I'm getting.

My point. I already indicated there is legitimate discussing MM+ but it can't possibly all be one-sided. New health care legislation is increasing costs to businesses. Probably another reason for the increase. I am stating reality and not making any political representations.

PhotoDave219

The USA is a capitalist, free-market society and is subject to the economic forces of supply and demand (if the gov't stays out of the way). As long as demand justifies the price, businesses are free to price their products however they wish. If the market chooses not to pay those prices, there will be an adjustment. It may not be a permanent price reduction, but I guarantee that there will be a discount or free product (Memory Maker, Free Dining) to offset the higher price until the market recovers.

Thank you captain obvious.

The market been "recovering" since 2004.... Ten years of recovery? More like poor economic & strategic planning.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Great.

I know where my money is going for professional sports.

Consider the average MLB salary:

View attachment 46842

Now if you're telling me WDW Cast Members have received these kinds of raises, or that Disney has invested this kind of money back into WDW, then I think we'd all feel our WDW ticket money was well-spent.

Somehow though, I don't either is the case. :rolleyes:

Especially since nearly all of the really big WDW ticket increases have happened in the last 15 years when, compared to prior years, practically nothing has been added and, in fact, much of what existed 15 years ago has been shuttered. :(

The reason why few complain about prices at Universal is because it's abundantly obvious that money is being reinvested wisely back into the parks.

If only we could say the same for WDW.
True. Player income has skyrocketed. There are also only 25 or so people on the roster of a baseball team.
Taking the Cubs for example. Can we say that the Chicago Cubs have really, in the past 15 years, shown a massive improvement year over year on the field? Yet, their annual revenue and total valuation in that same period of time has skyrocketed.

http://www.forbes.com/teams/chicago-cubs/

I'm no financial wizard, I honestly can't balance my own checkbook, let alone read company financial statements. It's not shocking to me though that Disney is raising their ticket prices when the entertainment industry is doing the same across the board.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom