News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Vegas Disney Fan

If we’re lucky the rides not broken, they’re just taking down banners and adding more static figures to flush out the scenes.

The story is going to be hard to fix but I think the ride itself could be easily improved, the biggest complaint is empty space, add some static characters tucked into the bayou, some huts, etc and that empty space doesn’t feel so empty anymore. Much of what made Splash so engaging was birdhouses, doors to character homes, etc, stuff that could easily be added to TBA.

TheIceBaron

Somewhat unrelated but Disney seems to be pivoting a bit on their media strategy lately. As the Star Wars show The Acolyte comes out tomorrow, the show runner and KK went on offense and knocked a part of fandom that engages in bad faith attacks on the show, characters, actors, etc. I am sure they are going to dismiss what they perceive as bad faith attacks on TBA. I just hope they aren’t going to gaslight themselves into thinking any criticism of TBA is in bad faith.

V_L_Raptor

One thing i've been wondering. I know A1000's are quite expensive. And they're clearly trying to move away from hydraulic and go all electric. But during the hydraulics era of AA's, they seemed to have a better variety for how complex the figures could get.

Mr Bluebird for example was probably the simplest true AA in Splash, as he was somewhat similar to the Tiki Birds in complexity. And yet he still had more dynamic audio-synced motion than the new critter figures (despite their larger size) that just pivot back and forth on a couple of axes in a very repetitive motion. Then you had figures like the squatting frogs which were a little step above him. And then above him were the minor critters such as the geese, chickens, alligators, etc used in the intro and finale scenes (with a lot more like these at Disneyland). And then lastly the main Brers who had a handful of figures that were the most complex in the ride.

With Tiana however, the moving characters seem to occupy two extremes. The 14 legitimate animatronics for the returning film characters are very intricate and complex. However, again all of the remaining critters are very simple moving props. Like the kinds you'd often see in old dark rides such as the old Dwarf cottage band from Snow White and 7DMT. And there's nothing really in between those two extremes. Pretty much all of these new critters should have been proper AA's. They shouldn't all need to have the insane range as an A1000, but something similar to Splash's geese, alligators and chickens would seem reasonable. Do they just not have any less expensive all-electric designs for these?

Moving props have their place as well. Splash also had plenty of those in addition to the 55ish genuine animatronics. These sorts of props are what they could have used to fill out all of the empty dead space people have noted. As yensidtlaw1969 suggested in his mockup with regular storks, spoonbills, turtles, frogs etc etc.

I think my question would be to what extent Disney has command of what they can deploy, or whether the mix is symptomatic of having to draw their cast of figures from outside contractors and vendors.

R&D outside of those extremes may be a consulting expense they don’t want to take on, depending on how reliant WDI is on external shops for the animatronic systems they have on show. (I’d be willing to bet those prop-style figures are from Garner Holt contracts. They’ve certainly made no secret of making such things for Disney parade floats…)

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
Do you think if they went back in and filled in some dead space, with more characters, it would improve things?

Is there a reasonable fix they could make in the coming years, to make the ride just a bit stronger?
Actually, yes! Personally, I would like to see more critters/unique set pieces in the stretch between the 1st and 2nd critter bands, the stretch between the the 2nd band and the dip drop, replace the screen of Tiana and Louis with more animatronics/limited motion figures of the frog band, and add a more dramatic lighting effect to the walls of the final lift hill. I think those changes would do a lot to make the scenes feel significantly fuller and make the ride pack a bigger punch. But, none of that would still change the fact that the ride really lacks tension or emotional variance.

Do I think any of that is likely to happen? Absolutely not.

EagleScout610

Causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Wanna know what's embarrassing? They showed off their brand new attraction and things aren't working. Off the pov posted by the site we do not name:

- Louis' mouth isn't moving in the first inside scene.
- PawPaw's hand isn't moving in the Rara band scene.
- Tiana in that same scene seems to have trouble moving her head and arms (Already pointed out)
- Tiana only talks right when the boat is at or almost past her (Both in the upper level)
- Mama Odie screens seem to have trouble syncing with boats arriving at the dip drop and final lift. I've seen a few cases where she either speaks too early or late
- A few lights are out in the finale leaving Timon the Otter in the dark.

Now, I'm not saying things can't break. They break, it happens. But it seems like these were kinks they should have ironed out before sending guests through.

Midwest Elitist

If we’re lucky the rides not broken, they’re just taking down banners and adding more static figures to flush out the scenes.

The story is going to be hard to fix but I think the ride itself could be easily improved, the biggest complaint is empty space, add some static characters tucked into the bayou, some huts, etc and that empty space doesn’t feel so empty anymore. Much of what made Splash so engaging was birdhouses, doors to character homes, etc, stuff that could easily be added to TBA.
The cohesiveness of the music is something that can't be fixed however. And this is an example of the main problem: at surface level, everything passes with a "meh". But the attention to detail has vanished.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wanna know what's embarrassing? They showed off their brand new attraction and things aren't working. Off the pov posted by the site we do not name:

- Louis' mouth isn't moving in the first inside scene.
- PawPaw's hand isn't moving in the Rara band scene.
- Tiana in that same scene seems to have trouble moving her head and arms (Already pointed out)
- Tiana only talks right when the boat is at or almost past her (Both in the upper level)
- Mama Odie screens seem to have trouble syncing with boats arriving at the dip drop and final lift. I've seen a few cases where she either speaks too early or late
- A few lights are out in the finale leaving Timon the Otter in the dark.

Now, I'm not saying things can't break. They break, it happens. But it seems like these were kinks they should have ironed out before sending guests through.
…employees only at this point

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I genuinely don’t know why people use Twitter for anything other than Sports or niche communities like theme parks.

Any comment string is so overrun with bots, trolls, or toxicity, and that was even before Musk took over. It’s obviously become worse though.
Because it’s designed to be both dumbed down AND completely addictive?

You know what industry spends more on lobbying than any other in the US?

Hint…it’s not oil companies or doctors anymore

Surferboy567

Alright, I have officially ridden the attraction and have a lot of thoughts. Not sure how novel any of this is because the page count of this thread jumped by 70+ pages since I ducked out to avoid spoilers so I apologize for retreading any ground.

Where to begin? Perhaps a goods vs bads to lay everything out and then some final thoughts. I would also like to state that I was coming into the ride with moderate expectations leaning positive and attempted to view the attraction on its own merits separate from its history as Splash Mountain (but then found that harder and harder to commit to).

The queue is nice and I quite enjoy the radio loop playing. The radio in particular gives a vibe that a tiny slice of New Orleans Square has come to WDW and does a good job at establishing Tiana as an important public figure. I absolutely love the lush greenery of the interior sets and dark lighting. The critter bands are very cute and add a great bit of liveliness to the spots they appear. The A1000s of Tiana and Louis are all a treat to see in full motion. Upon first hearing the rumors that there would be a shrinking/transformation portion to the ride I was highly skeptical it would be a good choice, but I think it turned out well and was a fun way to display the animatronic frogs much larger, as well as call back to the film. The primary thing to praise here is the finale scene and original song. The energy in that scene is great and really delivers the most complete part of the experience.

I generally don’t think the screens in this ride are too egregious or overbearing - they are actually quite minimal - but the shot of giant Tiana and Louis looking at the riders in the shrunken portion is the worst visual offender of the ride. It genuinely feels out of place and their dialogue could have been delivered with audio only to convey the same thing. As many have mentioned, there are quite a few empty stretches along the ride between characters. Not every ride has to be filled with animatronics to be good, and not every animated figure has to have complex motion to be effective at conveying what it needs to, but there is still a lot to be desired from the emptier scenes. The space between the 2nd band and the transformation dip drop is particularly empty, so much so that while on the ride you just instinctively look to watch the boat ahead of you complete the dialogue with Tiana right before the dip drop, only to immediately hear it again directed at your own boat. Though the A1000s are lovely, they are mainly used to just look at the ride vehicles and gesture at things. The finale is the only scene where it feels like the any A1000s are actually doing something within the narrative like dancing or playing music. Perhaps the greatest flaw of the ride though is that it lacks any poignant stakes, dramatic tension, or low beats. When designing a linear narrative experience a writer will typically create a graph laying out where the emotional high and low points of a story will be so they can fluctuate in a logical and satisfying manner. It feels to me that if you were to make something like that for this attraction it would be super flat and monotone with a lone spike at the finale. And while it’s true that not every attraction needs a well executed narrative or complex emotional arc to be really good, the issue lies in the nature of the attraction being a replacement.

I really tried to let this ride live on its own merits separate from Splash Mountain, but the positive elements of this ride come at the expense of another attraction, and they extract a heavy toll. Tiana’s Bayou Adventure is by no means a bad attraction and far from the worst retheme in WDW, but it does not live up to the narrative, emotional stakes, and technical feats of its predecessor. It’s very much like Runaway Railway in that sense; it’s quite enjoyable and a decent ride on its own, but it should not have been a replacement in a park desperate for additional ride-through capacity. Even with the social issues surrounding Splash Mountain and Song of the South, there could have been tactful methods of updating the plot and concept with different characters to deliver the same strengths of the experience.

TL;DR: Don’t give in to the hysterics of people saying this is the worst attraction WDI has ever produced because it is a decent ride; but it does not evoke the spectacle of its predecessor, making it hard to enjoy for those that know what came before.
I’m happy to read this, it will be quite a while till I am able to ride in person. Can only go off the POV but I hope I feel differently in person.

JoeCamel

If it’s Imagineering that’s coming up with backstories that emphasize employee owned co-ops and not coming from their DEI department then Disney creative is in bigger trouble than I thought.

DEI isn’t a boogeyman but we know they have an, often unpopular with fans, influence on projects, putting constraints on creative people usually doesn’t produce the best results.
Just because they give them a nametag that says Imagineer on it does not make them one. All they have any more is a wow moment without repeatability. The ride gets boring once you know what happens unless there is wealth of supporting scenery to marvel at. That used to be understood but a wow moment for the guy from Denver is what gets built now, APs get bored with the same gag over and over again.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
If you believe Disney when they say TBA started in earnest in 2019, how is it possible that this uninspired and simplistic fetch quest storyline took 5 years to come to life?

They didn’t have to design the ride system or build the show building, it was a reskin and update of an existing attraction.

So what took them so long? Either it was gross incompetence at WDI and the team running this (believable) or there were so many chefs in the kitchen providing direction on this from multiple places in the company, that the end product turned out to be crap. (Or both)
Serious plans for a Splash replacement go back years before the announcement in 2020.

The ride was pretty much a lock to be replaced at some point this decade regardless of how it ended up being announced, but the execution was always dependent on the direction they chose.

When Disney knee-jerk announced it, it pushed up the timeline from “at some point” to “we’re doing this,” and plans evolved and changed from there, for better or (likely) worse.

At any given time, there are so many projects that have been worked on at Disney just sitting around, but the true product (as it’s actively being tweaked and altered in larger ways than you would expect) really only happens in the install phase. But like I said, the plans evolved from the ones that were lying around. That’s why I sort of think there’s a chance we could see modifications made to Cali’s version if the actual GSTAT scores are actually bad, but there have been no changes made in response to MK’s as of yet.

Last edited:

Trauma

Just checked the Disney video again. The comments are getting even worse if that’s somehow possible.

They need to pull the video, this is going to start to be a massive PR hit.

I notice some bots there also ( you can tell because the comments are all similar followed by a string of emojis ) but they can’t keep up with the outpouring of anger and negativity.

Best thing Disney can do now is pull everything and pretend all is well.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Because it’s designed to be both dumbed down AND completely addictive?

You know what industry spends more on lobbying than any other in the US?

Hint…it’s not oil companies or doctors anymore
Unfortunately that’s the truth. What is more puzzling is despite a large swath of the population understanding that, people still keep logging in. I wish more people would just break the cycle. There are so many communities like this from a wide range of topics that avoids the gamified-nature of the aforementioned social media platforms.

I deleted both Twitter and TikTok because of how much of a genuine waste of time they both are, and besides the annoyance of clicking on posts on this Forum because I don’t have an account, I’m actually living a happier, more productive life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom