News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

doctornick

The Imagineers did amazing work in Fantasy Springs which shows they still have talent, which leads to the question “why did TBA turn out like this?”

Ignoring the rest of your post, I'm not even sure I really agree here. I actually think Fantasy Springs seems to suffer from the exact same issues as TBA - what is there is beautiful, but probably doesn't utilize the space as well as it should and the attractions are pleasant enough but don't reach the heights of the gold standard storytelling/engagement of classic Disney rides.

John park hopper

In true form Disney turns a great attraction into a ho hum attraction
Look at what they did to AE
Because Alien Encounter was considered too scary and intense for kids, officials wanted to make the new attraction less scary and more family-friendly. Two days later, Alien Encounter would close to the public on October 12 and the Lilo & Stitch remodel was underway. Stitch's Great Escape! opened on November 16, 2004.

Last edited:

davis_unoxx

It's straight up gaslighting at this point.

This is what Jenny Nicholson said in her video, that influencers are paid or get to experience stuff by Disney by following strict rules such as using the elaborate names of these attractions, and other strict rules.

I posted earlier Disney is paying for ads for this ride on AI bots. I’m sure they’re behind this too.
IMG_5220.png

Midwest Elitist

This is what Jenny Nicholson said in her video, that influencers are paid or get to experience stuff by Disney by following strict rules such as using the elaborate names of these attractions, and other strict rules.

I posted earlier Disney is paying for ads for this ride on AI bots. I’m sure they’re behind this too. View attachment 789228
Oh, so LLMs are just predicting what the next syllable will be based on the information you give it, and it's thrown into a MASSIVE probability matrix formula.
I don't think they're behind that, it's just predicting the most likely info you would want, and here it's pretty much calling a search engine.

Aside from that, yeah. People are well aware of how fake the Internet is now. I don't understand why they try, it's blatantly obvious.

DisneyHead123

Alright, I have officially ridden the attraction and have a lot of thoughts. Not sure how novel any of this is because the page count of this thread jumped by 70+ pages since I ducked out to avoid spoilers so I apologize for retreading any ground.

Where to begin? Perhaps a goods vs bads to lay everything out and then some final thoughts. I would also like to state that I was coming into the ride with moderate expectations leaning positive and attempted to view the attraction on its own merits separate from its history as Splash Mountain (but then found that harder and harder to commit to).

The queue is nice and I quite enjoy the radio loop playing. The radio in particular gives a vibe that a tiny slice of New Orleans Square has come to WDW and does a good job at establishing Tiana as an important public figure. I absolutely love the lush greenery of the interior sets and dark lighting. The critter bands are very cute and add a great bit of liveliness to the spots they appear. The A1000s of Tiana and Louis are all a treat to see in full motion. Upon first hearing the rumors that there would be a shrinking/transformation portion to the ride I was highly skeptical it would be a good choice, but I think it turned out well and was a fun way to display the animatronic frogs much larger, as well as call back to the film. The primary thing to praise here is the finale scene and original song. The energy in that scene is great and really delivers the most complete part of the experience.

I generally don’t think the screens in this ride are too egregious or overbearing - they are actually quite minimal - but the shot of giant Tiana and Louis looking at the riders in the shrunken portion is the worst visual offender of the ride. It genuinely feels out of place and their dialogue could have been delivered with audio only to convey the same thing. As many have mentioned, there are quite a few empty stretches along the ride between characters. Not every ride has to be filled with animatronics to be good, and not every animated figure has to have complex motion to be effective at conveying what it needs to, but there is still a lot to be desired from the emptier scenes. The space between the 2nd band and the transformation dip drop is particularly empty, so much so that while on the ride you just instinctively look to watch the boat ahead of you complete the dialogue with Tiana right before the dip drop, only to immediately hear it again directed at your own boat. Though the A1000s are lovely, they are mainly used to just look at the ride vehicles and gesture at things. The finale is the only scene where it feels like the any A1000s are actually doing something within the narrative like dancing or playing music. Perhaps the greatest flaw of the ride though is that it lacks any poignant stakes, dramatic tension, or low beats. When designing a linear narrative experience a writer will typically create a graph laying out where the emotional high and low points of a story will be so they can fluctuate in a logical and satisfying manner. It feels to me that if you were to make something like that for this attraction it would be super flat and monotone with a lone spike at the finale. And while it’s true that not every attraction needs a well executed narrative or complex emotional arc to be really good, the issue lies in the nature of the attraction being a replacement.

I really tried to let this ride live on its own merits separate from Splash Mountain, but the positive elements of this ride come at the expense of another attraction, and they extract a heavy toll. Tiana’s Bayou Adventure is by no means a bad attraction and far from the worst retheme in WDW, but it does not live up to the narrative, emotional stakes, and technical feats of its predecessor. It’s very much like Runaway Railway in that sense; it’s quite enjoyable and a decent ride on its own, but it should not have been a replacement in a park desperate for additional ride-through capacity. Even with the social issues surrounding Splash Mountain and Song of the South, there could have been tactful methods of updating the plot and concept with different characters to deliver the same strengths of the experience.

TL;DR: Don’t give in to the hysterics of people saying this is the worst attraction WDI has ever produced because it is a decent ride; but it does not evoke the spectacle of its predecessor, making it hard to enjoy for those that know what came before.
Thanks for the detailed review! Curious - have you watched the Disney POV video now? Do you agree with Drew's assessment that the video doesn't do the ride justice? (Even if your overall assessment obviously wasn't as positive.)

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
The up/down votes on youtube mean nothing more than certain factions are out in full force, directing their followers to these videos.
Or it's not and it's actually a relatively accurate metric of its popularity.

Anytime something is ratio'd on that scale it's way more than a bunch of angry basement dwellers.

Don't believe me, look at the ratios for Indy, Wish, The Marvels, etc. they were very much an accurate reflection of their respective subject matters popularity.

JohnD

This is what happens when tasks are given to the regulators rather than the creators. This attraction was not built to create an impressive story or an immersive environment, but simply to check a bunch of boxes and meet regulations set forth by the HR division, DEI division, and executive division. These departments are not designed to be creative, but simply to reel in and regulate the creativity of other departments. This is when we end up with bland, soulless junk like TBA, because it was created merely to check a list by uncreative people. I’m really starting to wonder how much control imagineering really had over this project, because it feels like a step down even when compared to other recent stateside attractions.
They say "Stories matter". Well, it doesn't appear that way from the attraction. So maybe imagineers had less input after all which could be a reason Baxter left.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
Thanks for the detailed review! Curious - have you watched the Disney POV video now? Do you agree with Drew's assessment that the video doesn't do the ride justice? (Even if your overall assessment obviously wasn't as positive.)
Yes, I’d definitely agree the video is not the best. Videos are never quite the same as an in person experience, especially regarding the lighting and direction of one’s eye, but there’s nothing particularly significant about the ride omitted from the video if that’s what you’re asking.

Disney Analyst

Alright, I have officially ridden the attraction and have a lot of thoughts. Not sure how novel any of this is because the page count of this thread jumped by 70+ pages since I ducked out to avoid spoilers so I apologize for retreading any ground.

Where to begin? Perhaps a goods vs bads to lay everything out and then some final thoughts. I would also like to state that I was coming into the ride with moderate expectations leaning positive and attempted to view the attraction on its own merits separate from its history as Splash Mountain (but then found that harder and harder to commit to).

The queue is nice and I quite enjoy the radio loop playing. The radio in particular gives a vibe that a tiny slice of New Orleans Square has come to WDW and does a good job at establishing Tiana as an important public figure. I absolutely love the lush greenery of the interior sets and dark lighting. The critter bands are very cute and add a great bit of liveliness to the spots they appear. The A1000s of Tiana and Louis are all a treat to see in full motion. Upon first hearing the rumors that there would be a shrinking/transformation portion to the ride I was highly skeptical it would be a good choice, but I think it turned out well and was a fun way to display the animatronic frogs much larger, as well as call back to the film. The primary thing to praise here is the finale scene and original song. The energy in that scene is great and really delivers the most complete part of the experience.

I generally don’t think the screens in this ride are too egregious or overbearing - they are actually quite minimal - but the shot of giant Tiana and Louis looking at the riders in the shrunken portion is the worst visual offender of the ride. It genuinely feels out of place and their dialogue could have been delivered with audio only to convey the same thing. As many have mentioned, there are quite a few empty stretches along the ride between characters. Not every ride has to be filled with animatronics to be good, and not every animated figure has to have complex motion to be effective at conveying what it needs to, but there is still a lot to be desired from the emptier scenes. The space between the 2nd band and the transformation dip drop is particularly empty, so much so that while on the ride you just instinctively look to watch the boat ahead of you complete the dialogue with Tiana right before the dip drop, only to immediately hear it again directed at your own boat. Though the A1000s are lovely, they are mainly used to just look at the ride vehicles and gesture at things. The finale is the only scene where it feels like the any A1000s are actually doing something within the narrative like dancing or playing music. Perhaps the greatest flaw of the ride though is that it lacks any poignant stakes, dramatic tension, or low beats. When designing a linear narrative experience a writer will typically create a graph laying out where the emotional high and low points of a story will be so they can fluctuate in a logical and satisfying manner. It feels to me that if you were to make something like that for this attraction it would be super flat and monotone with a lone spike at the finale. And while it’s true that not every attraction needs a well executed narrative or complex emotional arc to be really good, the issue lies in the nature of the attraction being a replacement.

I really tried to let this ride live on its own merits separate from Splash Mountain, but the positive elements of this ride come at the expense of another attraction, and they extract a heavy toll. Tiana’s Bayou Adventure is by no means a bad attraction and far from the worst retheme in WDW, but it does not live up to the narrative, emotional stakes, and technical feats of its predecessor. It’s very much like Runaway Railway in that sense; it’s quite enjoyable and a decent ride on its own, but it should not have been a replacement in a park desperate for additional ride-through capacity. Even with the social issues surrounding Splash Mountain and Song of the South, there could have been tactful methods of updating the plot and concept with different characters to deliver the same strengths of the experience.

TL;DR: Don’t give in to the hysterics of people saying this is the worst attraction WDI has ever produced because it is a decent ride; but it does not evoke the spectacle of its predecessor, making it hard to enjoy for those that know what came before.

Do you think if they went back in and filled in some dead space, with more characters, it would improve things?

Is there a reasonable fix they could make in the coming years, to make the ride just a bit stronger?

Vegas Disney Fan

If we’re lucky the rides not broken, they’re just taking down banners and adding more static figures to flush out the scenes.

The story is going to be hard to fix but I think the ride itself could be easily improved, the biggest complaint is empty space, add some static characters tucked into the bayou, some huts, etc and that empty space doesn’t feel so empty anymore. Much of what made Splash so engaging was birdhouses, doors to character homes, etc, stuff that could easily be added to TBA.

TheIceBaron

Somewhat unrelated but Disney seems to be pivoting a bit on their media strategy lately. As the Star Wars show The Acolyte comes out tomorrow, the show runner and KK went on offense and knocked a part of fandom that engages in bad faith attacks on the show, characters, actors, etc. I am sure they are going to dismiss what they perceive as bad faith attacks on TBA. I just hope they aren’t going to gaslight themselves into thinking any criticism of TBA is in bad faith.

V_L_Raptor

One thing i've been wondering. I know A1000's are quite expensive. And they're clearly trying to move away from hydraulic and go all electric. But during the hydraulics era of AA's, they seemed to have a better variety for how complex the figures could get.

Mr Bluebird for example was probably the simplest true AA in Splash, as he was somewhat similar to the Tiki Birds in complexity. And yet he still had more dynamic audio-synced motion than the new critter figures (despite their larger size) that just pivot back and forth on a couple of axes in a very repetitive motion. Then you had figures like the squatting frogs which were a little step above him. And then above him were the minor critters such as the geese, chickens, alligators, etc used in the intro and finale scenes (with a lot more like these at Disneyland). And then lastly the main Brers who had a handful of figures that were the most complex in the ride.

With Tiana however, the moving characters seem to occupy two extremes. The 14 legitimate animatronics for the returning film characters are very intricate and complex. However, again all of the remaining critters are very simple moving props. Like the kinds you'd often see in old dark rides such as the old Dwarf cottage band from Snow White and 7DMT. And there's nothing really in between those two extremes. Pretty much all of these new critters should have been proper AA's. They shouldn't all need to have the insane range as an A1000, but something similar to Splash's geese, alligators and chickens would seem reasonable. Do they just not have any less expensive all-electric designs for these?

Moving props have their place as well. Splash also had plenty of those in addition to the 55ish genuine animatronics. These sorts of props are what they could have used to fill out all of the empty dead space people have noted. As yensidtlaw1969 suggested in his mockup with regular storks, spoonbills, turtles, frogs etc etc.

I think my question would be to what extent Disney has command of what they can deploy, or whether the mix is symptomatic of having to draw their cast of figures from outside contractors and vendors.

R&D outside of those extremes may be a consulting expense they don’t want to take on, depending on how reliant WDI is on external shops for the animatronic systems they have on show. (I’d be willing to bet those prop-style figures are from Garner Holt contracts. They’ve certainly made no secret of making such things for Disney parade floats…)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom