News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Midwest Elitist

Literally:
This Is Fine GIF

WorldExplorer

View attachment 789279
There is no possible way this wasn’t the original plan to include more advanced critters throughout the attraction and was scrapped into development. I’d imagine they realized some of it would be over budget spending so much of the cost on those A-1000s

I was searching back in this thread to try and get a handle on how much stuff we thought would be in the ride was a rumor and how much was confirmed, and I found this post, in response to a video that includes the otter;

Ted Robledo has also revealed that the Imagineer in the above video, Laura West, created the 17 original characters for Tiana's Bayou Adventure.

Here's what Ted had to say:

I’m SO proud of fellow Imagineer, project teammate, and creator of 17 original characters for TIANA’S BAYOU ADVENTURE. She is now part of an exclusive group of folks who’ve created brand new characters for the Disney parks. I’m absolutely certain the cute and adorable critters she’s created will capture the hearts of fans. GO LAURA!

I was thinking the animals and their personalities being dumped online with no trace of it in the ride was just an example of telling and now showing (and poor priorities), but this made me think they had more planned with them. There's no reason for them to "capture the hearts of fans" in the final ride, where they're just macguffins, unless they think the designs themselves are just that good.

(The video showcased six animals, so I don't know what the other eleven were.)

Mr. Sullivan

ROTR also breaks down, but that ride is infinitely more complex. I have no idea what they're doing, but makes me wonder if they are really going to meet their deadline or not. Having the ride shut down consistently like this is not a great look so far.
I don’t know that its a matter of complexity but rather they’ve done a lot of updates to the ride’s technical system and we know that their modern systems are incredibly sensitive. Not to mention Splash itself was also prone to breaking down a lot. Those two things are likely colliding as they’re starting to properly cycle with full show all day with actual riders (which also introduces another element to mess with the safety systems, even if by accident). These are technical rehearsals so its good this is happening now rather than public opening.

MerlinTheGoat

These drawings are accurate to the figure as built.
From what I can tell in the video, they are not. That diagram shows a set of different facial expressions, including eyebrows, eye blinking, and mouth opening/closing. It would lead to the expectation of something similar to the Rocket Raccoon AA in Mission Breakout. The otter figure they built doesn't appear to have any facial movement whatsoever.

Professortango1

Wasn’t looking for a debate, was just asking a question since you seemed so sure of it’s controversy despite that going against literally everything DL locals have ever told me about it. Was interested in being pointed to the thoughts of the opposite if it’s out there since the DL forum and servers I’ve joined spoke so highly of it.
Spoke highly about Mission BO? I'd say I've seen about 60% favourable to the new attraction. The majority to be sure, but myself and many others do also feel it was a downgrade overall due to issues that all have pointed out (facade, rethemed queue, screens, exposed scenic elements, narrative structure and plot, etc).

Feel free to search the DLR forums or DM if you want to know more.

Homemade Imagineering

These drawings are accurate to the figure as built.
I do see it’s an artist concept only, which would make sense if this was to test different configurations of his design. Beyond that only 2 figures were made for him of the exact pose shown on the diagram, the other 2 motion profiles shown were not used, indicating they may have initially planned on making his character into a more complex AA.

He also appeared in that old boat concept art with some more side critters present which never made it in alongside Naveen. That and Bruno Campos being absent from the final product just makes me wonder how much was cut. This wasn’t a disaster by any means that some make it out to be, but it leaves alot to be desired when those original concept pieces hinted more than what we received in the end.

Mr. Sullivan

Spoke highly about Mission BO? I'd say I've seen about 60% favourable to the new attraction. The majority to be sure, but myself and many others do also feel it was a downgrade overall due to issues that all have pointed out (facade, rethemed queue, screens, exposed scenic elements, narrative structure and plot, etc).

Feel free to search the DLR forums or DM if you want to know more.
Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for

yensidtlaw1969

From what I can tell in the video, they are not. That diagram shows a set of different facial expressions, including eyebrows, eye blinking, and mouth opening/closing. It would lead to the expectation of something similar to the Rocket Raccoon AA in Mission Breakout. The otter figure they built doesn't appear to have any facial movement whatsoever.
Those are options for the character's expression, not indicative of intended movement.

The arrows on the diagram are there to show the intended motion for the character.

Ismael Flores

That lighting package is what should be around Pandora more
exactly, seems like they purposely under lit the whole inside to hide the fact of empty spaces and then brightly lit the clumps of AA's with saturated unnatural lighting. The lighting along with the sound selection also seems to be at odds. If you were going to create a nighttime mood by making it mostly dark to hide the lack of critters at least add to the soundtrack more audio that allows us to hear what the bayou at night sounds like. I have experienced bayous and the amount of life in one is amazing whether they are visible or not. They failed to create a mood for the environment instead they blast the music and kill it.

I am hoping that it is just terrible videos that are making it look and feel this way and that in person it will be much better.

Last edited:

Professortango1

exactly, seems like they purposely under lit the whole inside to hide the fact of empty spaces and then brightly lit the clumps of AA's with saturated unnatural lighting. The lighting along with the sound selection also seems to be at odds. If you were going to create a nighttime mood by making it mostly dark to hide the lack of critters at least add to the soundtrack more audio that allows us to hear what the bayou at night sounds like. I have experienced bayous and the amount of life in one is amazing whether they are visible or not. They failed to create a mood for the environment instead they blast the music and kill it
What's sad is that Disney already created a fantastic bayou experience. It has a gator, southern music, fireflies, and a fun drop. You would think they could easily replicate that experience with a ride that is similar in ride system.

The bayou sequence in Pirates is so simple yet immersive, it's a wonder why they couldn't take cues from their own success.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom