News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

TomboyJanet

To me, all the good scenes in FEA occur outside of the original Maelstrom layout (except the snow monster thing). To me, the initial Olaf scenes is one of the best of any dark ride, it’s just gorgeous.

The lift hill, old town area, and backwards travel out of the ice palace is just horrible, especially when compared to what was previously there.

I really hope they retool those scenes in Hong Kong and Paris, and perhaps the hand-holding scene pre-disembark.

Basically everything besides the Olaf, troll, and marshmallow drop scene.

Very intrigued to see how Tokyo handles their mother of all frozen rides attraction.

As for TBA, there will definitely be some scenes that are worse, while others will probably be better. The concept art after the first drop shows more animatronics than before, so perhaps that’s an area that’s better than before (obviously quantity doesn’t necessitate better, but regardless).

A lot of Splash was leisurely strolling around the mountain, which will surely continue. Then you leisurely stroll through the homes and such (now the bayou), then everything hits the fan in the laughing place and then the big drop.

Then once again you leisurely stroll until you have the big boat, which I doubt they will replace.

Really, the only scenes I’m concerned about them ruining are the bee-cave, laughing place, drop, and two post-river boat scenes.

Obviously, they could ruin the whole ride by shoving pointless and ridiculous exposition down our throats instead of delightful music, but regardless, I actually am excited/hopeful for TBA (unlike in previous years), regardless of my agreement with them removing Splash in the first place. It has a lot of potential
Like I said the big thing for me is if this ride has no conflict or scary part around the drop. That would be enough for me to write this off as a complete bust. The drop being nothing but Mama Ode saying "Well down ya go!!!" or something cringy like that would be embarassing, and make me think the imagineers working on this are talentless hacks who wouldn't know a plot if it bit them in the briar patch!

GimpYancIent

Like I said the big thing for me is if this ride has no conflict or scary part around the drop. That would be enough for me to write this off as a complete bust. The drop being nothing but Mama Ode saying "Well down ya go!!!" or something cringy like that would be embarassing, and make me think the imagineers working on this are talentless hacks who wouldn't know a plot if it bit them in the briar patch!
I believe this guy is needed for that extra touch.
1678567401488.png

donaldtoo

They went to great lengths to incorporate the salt mine so that the elevation would have an authentic backstory… I assume it will be about rushing out of the salt mine to get to the celebration using the fastest route possible.

Again, the referenced salt dome/mine is located completely under flat, Louisiana ground. “Salt Dome Mountain” isn’t even a stretch, it’s a friggin’ joke.
And, “Tiana’s Foods” sounds like a generic grocery store…!!!!! :hilarious:

cupofchai

Expect this retheme to include over four dozens new audio-animatronics, around half of which will be models of the latest generation. Three of those will be Tiana. Screens and projections will be utilized to add depth to sets, other than that, the biggest use of screens and projections will be in the final scene which I'm most excited about from everything I've heard. Just be prepared to bid farewell to the steamboat and all the original audio-animatronics!

Midwest Elitist

Expect this retheme to include over four dozens new audio-animatronics, around half of which will be models of the latest generation. Three of those will be Tiana. Screens and projections will be utilized to add depth to sets, other than that, the biggest use of screens and projections will be in the final scene which I'm most excited about from everything I've heard. Just be prepared to bid farewell to the steamboat and all the original audio-animatronics!
I almost threw up.

Ghost93

Over four dozen!?! That's impressive!

I don't mind the steamboat going away. I want this ride not constantly to remind me of the original Splash Mountain, I want it to be its own thing.

TomboyJanet

BOOO!!!!

I don't want a happy sappy drop scene! I want action!!! Not good guys throwing you over cliffs!

And getting rid of ALL the animatronics? Despicable!

My expectations are going down down down the falls!

MerlinTheGoat

I doubt the steamboat is leaving. Not because I heard anything about it, but because it makes very little sense to get rid of an element that fits flawlessly with the new attraction (even better than it did with Song of the South in fact). There's literally no reason to scrap it, so i'm remaining skeptical on that matter. And while I also heard there would be a LOT of new AA's, quite a few of which are state of the art, I was also told that they weren't scrapping all of the old AA's either.

IF that use of video is accurate (and i don't know if it is), it will depend on a couple of things.

1- Whether it's just used as a way to add some movement to things that were going to be flat and stationary anyways, like walls. If they take away from physical scenery, it would become a problem. Most of the digital mapping added to the classic Fantasyland rides at Disneyland prior to the 2020s were quite well done. Mostly because they didn't detract from the physical scenery and just added some motion to what was already a flat and static surface. If it's just used as a crutch so they don't have to design as many characters and detailed physical sets, then we'd have a problem. That didn't sound like the plan though thankfully. Sure as hell don't want another Frozen situation...

2- Lighting. Some uses of video screens brighten the room up too much in a negative way. While I praised a lot of the recent digital mapping effects in Disneyland's old dark rides, the recent Snow White additions were a step down due to the way they overbrightened some of the areas.

Last edited:

TomboyJanet

I doubt the steamboat is leaving. Not because I heard anything about it, but because it makes very little sense to get rid of an element that fits flawlessly with the new attraction. There's literally no reason to scrap it. And while I also heard there would be a lot of new advanced AA's, I was also told that they weren't scrapping all of the old AA's either.
Like I said I think the Possums are staying, as well as any one that's scaled properly. But have I mentioned how much I hate the drop scene? I don't think I have yet lmao

That's the hurdle that's g
I doubt the steamboat is leaving. Not because I heard anything about it, but because it makes very little sense to get rid of an element that fits flawlessly with the new attraction (even better than it did with Song of the South in fact). There's literally no reason to scrap it, so i'm remaining skeptical on that matter. And while I also heard there would be a LOT of new AA's, quite a few of which are state of the art, I was also told that they weren't scrapping all of the old AA's either.

IF that use of video is accurate (and i don't know if it is), it will depend on a couple of things.

1- Whether it's just used as a way to add some movement to things that were going to be flat and stationary anyways, like walls. If they take away from physical scenery, it would become a problem. Most of the digital mapping added to the classic Fantasyland rides at Disneyland prior to the 2020s were quite well done. Mostly because they didn't detract from the physical scenery and just added some motion to what was already a flat and static surface. If it's just used as a crutch so they don't have to design as many characters and detailed physical sets, then we'd have a problem. That didn't sound like the plan though thankfully. Sure as hell don't want another Frozen situation...

2- Lighting. Some uses of video screens brighten the room up too much in a negative way. While I praised a lot of the recent digital mapping effects in Disneyland's old dark rides, the recent Snow White additions were a step down due to the way they overbrightened some of the areas.
There was one particular effect that was noted in a video on Navi River where instead of making a waterfall they projection mapped it...Just WHYYY!!?

How'd you get any of that from his post?
Well he said say goodbye to the animatronics. The Thing about the Drop is just combining it with what I heard previously about the no villain thing. I was just saying how unexcited I am about that part of the ride if they make it all jolly and "The special Part is YOU!!!!"-ish. Otherwise that's my new name for this ride "The special part is you!"

Lol he's still grieving. Just give him some space
She but yeah. Imma go be mad somewhere again. I'm visiting my MADDENIN' place

MerlinTheGoat

There was one particular effect that was noted in a video on Navi River where instead of making a waterfall they projection mapped it...Just WHYYY!!?
I will admit that I have zero clue WHY they made that waterfall a projection effect. It's just a really silly thing to bother with and I can't imagine a pump being significantly more expensive (there's even STILL a physical turbulence effect underwater anyway).

That said, for as confusingly unnecessary as it is, I have to be 100% honest here and admit that I could not tell that was a projection effect until I was told it was. It's ironically probably the most convincing projection i've ever seen and is the only one that has ever fooled me into thinking it was real. Still completely pointless, but also admittedly impressive that I didn't notice. There are a lot of bad looking projection effects that detract from the experience (Frozen), and this isn't one of them.

The Navi River ride in general has some really beautiful sets with mostly well done environmental projections. Not referring to the flat animal and navi projections which 100% should be been animatronics. But the ones that give surfaces extra dimension as well as kinetic motion that would be flat and static otherwise. Or the lighting and shadow effects it uses. If Navi had been 3x longer and had as many animatronics as Splash, then it would stand among some of the greatest rides Disney has ever built.

Based off what i've heard, Tiana should deliver a significant amount of high quality AA's (no face projections either I think). My hope now is that they can do justice to the scenery as well. IF there's going to be projection to aid with environmental detail, then the Navi ride isn't a bad template to follow at all. Far better than the likes of Mickey or Frozen. Layered detailed physical scenery in the foreground, keep the projections restrained to the distant walls to give what would have been static painted flats some extra energy and depth. The way to mess this up would be to copy Frozen and make the rooms empty dark corridors with video projected on a flat wall.

UNCgolf

I will admit that I have zero clue WHY they made that waterfall a projection effect. It's just a really silly thing to bother with and I can't imagine a pump being significantly more expensive (there's even STILL a physical turbulence effect underwater anyway).

That said, for as confusingly unnecessary as it is, I have to be 100% honest here and admit that I could not tell that was a projection effect until I was told it was. It's ironically probably the most convincing projection i've ever seen and is the only one that has ever fooled me into thinking it was real. Still completely pointless, but also admittedly impressive that I didn't notice. There are a lot of bad looking projection effects that detract from the experience (Frozen), and this isn't one of them.

The Navi River ride in general has some really beautiful sets with mostly well done environmental projections. Not referring to the flat animal and navi projections which 100% should be been animatronics. But the ones that give surfaces extra dimension as well as kinetic motion that would be flat and static otherwise. Or the lighting and shadow effects it uses. If Navi had been 3x longer and had as many animatronics as Splash, then it would stand among some of the greatest rides Disney has ever built.

Based off what i've heard, Tiana should deliver a significant amount of high quality AA's (no face projections either I think). My hope now is that they can do justice to the scenery as well. IF there's going to be projection to aid with environmental detail, then the Navi ride isn't a bad template to follow at all. Far better than the likes of Mickey or Frozen. Layered detailed physical scenery in the foreground, keep the projections restrained to the distant walls to give what would have been static painted flats some extra energy and depth. The way to mess this up would be to copy Frozen and make the rooms empty dark corridors with video projected on a flat wall.

Glad to see someone else say this! I think Navi's combination of physical sets with projections/screens to add depth and movement is fantastic. It's exactly the template I'd like to see them follow for future attractions in terms of the place-setting.

Of course Navi has flaws, but I think they are mainly due to it being a C ticket instead of a D or an E. As you mentioned, if it was significantly longer with a bunch of AAs, then it's likely an E ticket masterpiece. Since Tiana is an E, it certainly needs those AAs (and a lot of them), but Navi is an excellent template for the sets.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I have a hard time believing current Disney management would spend the money for that many animatronics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom