News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

RSoxNo1

Such a scoop: They may or they may not do this thing...

...we believe Disney is debating retheming Frontierland at Walt Disney World into a New Orleans Square-style street, featuring a Tiana Restaurant and a completely reimagined Country Bears attraction!​
I mean it's basically the announcement that was made at the D23 Expo with the same level of conviction that D'Amaro made it.

Epcot82Guy

You're right, Adventure, Frontier, Fantasy and Tomorrow are specific terms.

Riverfront Square would have a unifying theme of how our country expanded along the river banks and still very likely tie back to the Mississippi and Colorado Rivers.

Without getting into politics/veracity/etc., I would bet anything about how America expanded would be flagged as potentially problematic. I agree there is a potential theme there. I simply wouldn't anticipate current Disney to use it. (Let alone the usable IP catalogue there is more limited as well. By way of example, I don't see a Pocahontas attraction in this area, even though it is very much part of that story...)

RSoxNo1

Without getting into politics/veracity/etc., I would bet anything about how America expanded would be flagged as potentially problematic. I agree there is a potential theme there. I simply wouldn't anticipate current Disney to use it. (Let alone the usable IP catalogue there is more limited as well. By way of example, I don't see a Pocahontas attraction in this area, even though it is very much part of that story...)
I could see Pocahontas' explorer canoes or an equivalent go along the waterfront, but to your point I believe any representation of Native Americans should be done in a non-cartoonized and 100% historically accurate approach.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Photos from today - some more scaffolding has gone up.

5E8CCA1B-5309-42E2-8968-00CBBEEFC474.jpeg
759282DA-7EB7-4FC1-99C2-5A4FBB8CA444.jpeg
F748DD1A-0615-4123-9798-268A9C8BEF07.jpeg
328202F6-9114-4595-8F8A-A0DE2DEED544.jpeg

FettFan

That would just prove how hypocritical they are. They probably only let Pocahontas stick around because she's part of the princess line-up (and because that film isn't as easy a target as Song of the South).

What gets me is how bad it *could* have been.

As much as I love John Candy….oh lord that would have been 100x worse.

That aside, whenever Disney brings up SotS and claims that uncle Remus’ camp where his family is happy presents “an altered view of history”….I take grim satisfaction in reminding them that Pocahontas was a 14 year old girl who was imprisoned aboard the ship and assaulted multiple times by the crew.

And when she fell pregnant because of said assaults, the one guy who didn’t have a wife back in Europe stepped up as the fall guy…which Disney turned into a love story.

MV5BOWIzOTRiNzItYWIzOS00ZTQwLWE0OWEtYWU0M2ExZjNkYzM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,47,500,281_.jpg

But hey, at least she doesn’t sing ZipADeeDooDah, amirite?

Last edited:

Ghost93

That would just prove how hypocritical they are. They probably only let Pocahontas stick around because she's part of the princess line-up (and because that film isn't as easy a target as Song of the South).
Pocahontas is probably Disney's most controversial fully animated movie, and most Native Americans don't like it. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets removed from the Disney Princess line at some point in the future. Right now, it's still profitable. But Song of the South was profitable for Disney 40 years after it's initial release too and look how that turned out.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What gets me is how bad it *could* have been.

As much as I love John Candy….oh lord that would have been 100x worse.

That aside, whenever Disney brings up SotS and claims that uncle Remus’ camp where his family is happy presents “an altered view of history”….I take grim satisfaction in reminding them that Pocahontas was a 14 year old girl who was imprisoned aboard the ship and assaulted multiple times by the crew.

And when she fell pregnant because of said assaults, the one guy who didn’t have a wife back in Europe stepped up as the fall guy…which Disney turned into a love story.

MV5BOWIzOTRiNzItYWIzOS00ZTQwLWE0OWEtYWU0M2ExZjNkYzM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,47,500,281_.jpg

But hey, at least she doesn’t sing ZipADeeDooDah, amirite?

Step 1: Reduce Pocahontas' roll in Fantasmic!

Step 2: Get ready for the next step.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom