News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
PATF is very good. Pocahontas isn't. Both have qualities that could make a really good ride (just not at the expense of Splash Mountain).

A movie doesn't even have to be good to make it a good candidate for a ride. And on the inverse, not every good movie should have a ride. Interesting settings are what is so important.

Ratatouille is a fantastic movie but a pretty crappy ride. A restaurant kitchen and the dirty inside of walls are an innately uninteresting setting to travel through for a ride. Avatar is an aggressively bland and boring movie, but the setting made for a quality theme park experience.
I've said it from the start, and I think many share this feeling, I'm not opposed to a PatF ride and would happily ride it, just not at the cost of Splash Mountain.

solidyne

Why do you feel the need to poo poo everyone who doesn't share your opinions and imply there's something morally wrong with them?

I don't like Pocahontas and think it's one of Disney's more problematic movies, but I don't hold it against anyone else for liking it or question their reasons over it. It's not without its good moments. Still has quality animation and great music.
Not sure, but the way he repeated "problematic" in his post led me to believe that @MisterPenguin was being facetious. Sorta.

MerlinTheGoat

Not sure, but the way he repeated "problematic" in his post led me to believe that @MisterPenguin was being facetious. Sorta.
Nothing in that post implied he was joking. A lot of people consider the movie problematic, including MisterPenguin and even myself (though I don't want it banned or anything and don't mind a continued or possibly even expanded presence at the parks). He has a track record of being rude and confrontational towards opposing opinions on matters like these.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

We have a permit for California to do the retheme:
Description: Dlr - Splash Mountain - Bld 4301 - Non-Residential Addition:492 Sq. Ft. For New Electrical Room. Install Platforms, Steel Framing And Structural Supports For Show Elements. Modify Existing Stairs. Construct 155 Sq. Ft. Trellis And (22) Light Poles.

Valuation: $42,000,000.00
It should be noted that $40 million is the amount WDW Pro claimed was allotted for the entire project (which to be fair WAS close to the original plan back in 2020, they even attempted to whittle it down further to near $30 mil before the backlash caused them to reassess the entire project). This $42 million figure listed on the permit is JUST for some of the infrastructure related elements. Not including any of the scenery, figures, etc etc. So in case it needs repeating, Pro's claims are no longer accurate to the current version of the attraction and the budget is a lot higher than it used to be.

Kirby86

It should be noted that $40 million is the amount WDW Pro claimed was allotted for the entire project (which to be fair WAS close to the original plan back in 2020, they even attempted to whittle it down further to near $30 mil before the backlash caused them to reassess the entire project). This $42 million figure listed on the permit is JUST for some of the infrastructure related elements. Not including any of the scenery, figures, etc etc. So in case it needs repeating, Pro's claims are no longer accurate to the current version of the attraction and the budget is a lot higher than it used to be.
It probably was increased but I'm wondering how much of the budget is being taken up by the demolition involved. Those cost add up quickly. Also I'm not saying most of the budget went to demolition but I'm curious.

MerlinTheGoat

It probably was increased but I'm wondering how much of the budget is being taken up by the demolition involved. Those cost add up quickly. Also I'm not saying most of the budget went to demolition but I'm curious.
I don't know the precise budget or how it's being allocated, just that it's sizable. Not as absurd as Cosmic Rewind (which was $500 million), but far greater than the original $30-$40 million. Guessing a lot more than Frozenstrom too, which was around $70 million including the new meet and greet facility next door (that facility also probably chewed through a lot of the budget and left far less for the ride).

There was always going to be demolition with this project, likely just as much as with the original lower budget version.

Kirby86

I don't know the precise budget or how it's being allocated, just that it's sizable. Not as absurd as Cosmic Rewind (which was $500 million), but far greater than the original $30-$40 million. Guessing a lot more than Frozenstrom too, which was around $70 million including the new meet and greet facility next door (that facility also probably chewed through a lot of the budget and left far less for the ride).

There was always going to be demolition with this project, likely just as much as with the original lower budget version.
Oh I know demolition was always going to be part of the budget even for the limited budget version that's what makes the 30-40 million plan seem unrealistic on Disney's part.

Brer Panther

A movie doesn't even have to be good to make it a good candidate for a ride. And on the inverse, not every good movie should have a ride. Interesting settings are what is so important.

Ratatouille is a fantastic movie but a pretty crappy ride. A restaurant kitchen and the dirty inside of walls are an innately uninteresting setting to travel through for a ride. Avatar is an aggressively bland and boring movie, but the setting made for a quality theme park experience.
Even Splash Mountain could qualify as an example of this. Lousy movie (outside of the animated segments), great ride.
I'm not opposed to a PatF ride and would happily ride it, just not at the cost of Splash Mountain.
I fully agree.

TomboyJanet

I just rode the California Splash Mountain and aside from the way too quick pacing of the west coast version, it still held up. Im trying to think about how the new ride could be as fun but, still coming up blank. I saw some of the cast members had Splash Mt Plushies out and one of those knapsack thingies so its good to see some celebration of the old ride

JoeCamel

I just rode the California Splash Mountain and aside from the way too quick pacing of the west coast version, it still held up. Im trying to think about how the new ride could be as fun but, still coming up blank. I saw some of the cast members had Splash Mt Plushies out and one of those knapsack thingies so its good to see some celebration of the old ride
How many were bottling water?

Smiley/OCD

How are the AA’s holding up in California compared to WDW?

TomboyJanet

How are the AA’s holding up in California compared to WDW?
Much better actually. There's no million dollar bunny over there but considering that most of these AAs are from the 70s (America Sings) They are looking as good as Rocket Raccoon in DCA. Except for that one night when the Swamp Boys kinda did a freeze frame but it was immediately fixed. The thing I noticed is that in both Fla and Ca there is something wrong with the last Brer Fox when he's screaming about being bit. In Florida I didn't hear audio in that scene at all (cept for Brer Bear) but in LA I heard it but it was like on low volume. It would be ironic if the soundroom was next to it so they decided to do that just as in Splash's predecessor Tales of the Okeefenokee (look it up if you're in for a deep dive)

Riviera Rita

Great piece on Real Time With Bill Maher this week. I'm not sure if I can use the term he used as I'm not sure if it's an offensive term over the pond - 'Ca*ones'.
Anyway, I wish Disney could have done a Ben Stiller when a minority lost their minds over 'Tropic Thunder'

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom