News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Ayla

No one is gloating.

I personally think TBA is crap, but I have nothing against Drew liking what he likes. I think most people are sympathizing with him because Disney screwed over their biggest TBA fan by not doing their best.
No one is gloating?! You are obviously reading a different thread than I am. This thread has become a 💩 show the last 20 pages.

Incomudro

Splash had the perfect blend of Gen1 DNA- this is a Davis designed character, and didn't Gibson do the animatronic sculpts?

And Gen2 DNA since the project was developed by the second generation of Imagineering.

I've made this point before but when you listen to Baxter or Gordon talk about Splash Mountain or Disneyland in general- there's this huge sense of love for the brand and what Disneyland represents. They genuinely wanted to improve the park and create something wonderful.

I don't get that sense when I listen to Charita talk about Tiana. It doesn't strike me as wanting to improve Disneyland, it strikes me as trying to further a cause. And the end result is telling.
I agree 100%.
This current crop really lacks the creativity, the whimsy and humor that the original people had.
Someone replied to me a while back and said it was because they (the early Imaginears) came from an animation background.
I believe that is spot on.
That ability to show movement, emotion, humor, etc., in a still frame.
You see it in pencil sketches of Disney characters.
I believe the people who worked on this ride simply don't have that ability.
They have concepts - like employee owned food co-op, salt mine, critter band...
All of which means nothing to me, but worse yet is they lack the ability to do anything with that.

Last edited:

Skibum1970

I agree 100%.
This current crop really lacks the creativity, the whimsy and humor that the original people had.
Someone replied to me a while back and said it was because they (the early Imaginears) came from an animation background.
I believe that is spot on.
That ability to show movement, emotion, humor, etc., in a still frame.
You see it in pencil sketches of Disney characters.
I believe the people who worked on this ride simply don't have that ability.
They have concepts - like employee owned food co-op, salt mine, critter band...
All of which means nothing to me, but worse yet is they lack the ability to do anything with that.

Do you think that it is because they are getting so caught up trying to one-up with technology that they don't consider the story or which tech best fits the story? I have assumed that they just don't have imagination or that they are so consumed with making a statement that the ride stories are no good. The Haunted Mansion is not overly reliant on high-tech and most of the AA's are very simple but it's story, tech, and setting are cohesive and simple.

The complaints with Tiana seem to revolve around a story that is either asinine or incomprehensible and that there isn't an antagonist to build the story against. The riders are simply bouncing to and fro while looking for musicians but the selection process makes no sense. The riders are passive observers at best and so there is no buy-in. It looks nice and has some really nice AA's but that is as far as it seems to go.

Incomudro

Do you think that it is because they are getting so caught up trying to one-up with technology that they don't consider the story or which tech best fits the story? I have assumed that they just don't have imagination or that they are so consumed with making a statement that the ride stories are no good. The Haunted Mansion is not overly reliant on high-tech and most of the AA's are very simple but it's story, tech, and setting are cohesive and simple.

The complaints with Tiana seem to revolve around a story that is either asinine or incomprehensible and that there isn't an antagonist to build the story against. The riders are simply bouncing to and fro while looking for musicians but the selection process makes no sense. The riders are passive observers at best and so there is no buy-in. It looks nice and has some really nice AA's but that is as far as it seems to go.
I believe they are too caught up with the tech for sure.
I also believe they lack the talent to know what to do with it.
I believe they all listen to each other and pat each other on their backs over how amazing their concepts are.
In the right hands I suppose that even a employee owned food co-op, salt mine, find a band mess could have been executed in a fun way.
But I don't think enough of the current crop of Imaginears has that talent.

Last edited:

bwr827

No one is saying anything unkind about Drew. If anything, I think a lot of people respect him because of his honesty regarding the state of the ride. It would be much easier for him to just move on to TT or other attractions and let this honest thoughts go unsaid than what he is doing now. No one is being mean or unkind to him.

The broader point is that he has long been (and still is!) a champion of the ride, and if even he is dismayed by the product, that is very telling.

Incidentally, he is a reporter of sorts on these attractions, and seems to have possibly monetized this role, so his posts and views are fair game for discussion.
Drew’s posts are being used disingenuously to imply that he has now changed his mind about loving the new attraction.

In reality, he is at most very disappointed in the technical problems. As are anyone who likes the ride or cares in general about park capacity.

bwr827

I believe they too caught up with the tech for sure.
I also believe they lack the talent to know what to do with it.
I believe they all listen to each other and pat each other on their backs over how amazing their concepts are.
In the right hands I suppose that even a employee owned food co-op, salt mine, find a band mess could have been executed in a fun way.
But I don't think enough of the current crop of Imaginears has that talent.
A few key changes could make the ride a lot better. The ideas are in this thread.

But none of that matters if the ride is broken.

Disstevefan1

In my opinion the story and technology are independent from each other, they just exist together at same time.

The story is bad, because its bad; lack of imagination, or rushed or whatever caused it.

The technology issues could be because its new and just needs debugging or just cant reliably operate in the environment or whatever is causing the issues.

The story will be the story. I think the focus should be to get this attraction to run reliably even if its in a permanent "B" mode.

SamusAranX

I know it’s forum dogma to pile on Runaway Railway, but I find it much more enjoyable than The Great Movie Ride. For what it’s worth, it scores higher in Touring Plans’ survey than its predecessor did.

(And before anyone misunderstands me, this doesn’t mean I think TBA is superior to Splash. It is an unfortunate downgrade in my view.)

I too enjoy the MMRR ride but I think it’s park placement equivalent being a square peg into a round hole and a lot of bare sterile places (a commonality among many trackless rides it seems) knocks it down some. Good? Yes. Could have been better if put in MK and with a higher budget? Yes

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
Could you imagine if WDI had the gall to market each individual character from Splash? Here's Gary the Goose. A relaxed yet refined fellow, Gary can often be seen enjoying an authentically southern beverage. Gary likes instrumental blue grass, or jazz music and long walks on the beach.

View attachment 806845
Actually, that's Gus the Goose. This is Gary Goose.
2jpg.png

LittleBuford

I too enjoy the MMRR ride but I think it’s park placement equivalent being a square peg into a round hole and a lot of bare sterile places (a commonality among many trackless rides it seems) knocks it down some. Good? Yes. Could have been better if put in MK and with a higher budget? Yes
That’s fair. I don’t agree with you in either regard—I love that it’s the park’s centrepiece and think it’s the very opposite of sterile—but I appreciate your view!

Epcot81Fan

MMRR's placement in Disneyland is perfect for the quality of the attraction - at the back of the park, next to a child's play area, in a throwaway location, behind a far better Roger Rabbit attraction.

It's location at Hollywood Studios is a travesty and embarrassment vs. the iconic, park theme supporting attraction that preceded it.

mickEblu

MMRR's placement in Disneyland is perfect for the quality of the attraction - at the back of the park, next to a child's play area, in a throwaway location, behind a far better Roger Rabbit attraction.

It's location at Hollywood Studios is a travesty and embarrassment vs. the iconic, park theme supporting attraction that preceded it.

True and yet even at Disneyland I still wish the execution was better. The concept had so much potential.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom