News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Professortango1

For the love of pixie dust can we please stop the politics.

I understand why it’s important to the conversation but we have been told 4739379 times to not go there.
Didn't this forum have a giant picture of The Queen hovering above for months after she died?

I try and divorce political perspective when discussing worldly events which impact the parks, but its also silly to expect folks to not discuss world events which directly impacted this attraction. I understand not making value statements and arguing if the movements and ideas were right or wrong, but they were as real and far more relevant than a dead monarch (may she rest in peace.).

Midwest Elitist

I find that "fact" to be very suspect. Most people have never even seen the film as it hasn't been legally available in the US since the late 80's. The whole petition thing was a result of some major "perfect storm" factors

• COVID - Everyone was starting to go a little crazy being stuck at home and online movements were big at this time as a result. A lot of unhappy people with nothing to do be online and tied into echo chambers.
  • BLM - A protest that I myself was swept up in and posted/shared probably a bit more than I should have due to reason #1. Getting a major company to "listen" to these protests is difficult, much less to have one implement change. Once Disney showed they were entertaining the idea, the whole movement blew up because everyone knew they were joining a winning fight vs protesting the NFL or other targets at the time.
  • The fan concept video on Twitter - With people glued to their screens and dreaming of getting out of the house, they were shown that Disney could easily make a NEW ride based on characters they knew by making some minor changes to a classic. The solution to turn the attraction into a PatF attraction was integral for this movement to succeed. Now it wouldn't be about tearing down a ride that people love but updating it for a new audience. People who didn't even care about the racial issues of either film were now on board because the Fan-Art looked fun and new. You didn't have to care about the issues, you could just want to ride that new ride.
  • Disney's retheme pushes - We know from Rhode that Disney was pushing to quickly and cheaply retheme older attractions with outdated IP to instead push new IP. This is why Mission BO occurred, a Rhode compromise to avoid a worse retheme of another attraction. Maelstrom for Frozen, Stormrider for Nemo, etc etc etc. Disney has seen the benefit of keeping bones in place and just swapping out the set dressing. Here was the chance to change a major E-Ticket into being based on characters they couldn't fully embrace for characters that they wanted to push more.
I'm not saying that were not people bothered by the ride's inspiration. But I don't remember anyone ever criticizing the ride or saying the ride makes them uncomfortable. At the most, it would be connected in a trial way of "hey, did you know this ride is actually based on this old racist movie? Disney won't even show it it's so bad."

And in regard to BLM, most Black Americans I spoke with were concerned about Police Brutality and our Justice System and theme park ride was so low that it didn't even make the list of things we discussed.
The issues with the source material were solved on the release of the Disneyland ride, Tony Baxter has talked about this. They brought it back at the forefront because it was easy during an awful incident, and people don't want to do research on anything, they just want to be strongly confident in their beliefs.

I think my issue which pretty much any discourse on any social media platform, is that those of us who take the time to do the research know the history and reasons behind such decisions, and because we are informed, we call out BS when we see it. Br'er Rabbit, the figure, is effectively dead because of how massive Disney is in the public sphere. That is unacceptable, and disrespectful.

I have a problem when people use legitimate issues for insidious reasons, for the sole purpose of the almighty dollar. It's genuinely a bad year for those of us who are paying attention to the world, and stuff like this just adds onto it and proves us right.

Figgy1

Didn't this forum have a giant picture of The Queen hovering above for months after she died?

I try and divorce political perspective when discussing worldly events which impact the parks, but its also silly to expect folks to not discuss world events which directly impacted this attraction. I understand not making value statements and arguing if the movements and ideas were right or wrong, but they were as real and far more relevant than a dead monarch (may she rest in peace.).
This site is made in ENGLAND;)

GenChi

Regardless of your opinion on the final ride, I believe we can agree how much of an absolute PR disaster their handling of this ride has been. Starcruiser levels of mismanagement.

Just some of their greatest hits:
  • Announcing both being rethemed at the same time, during a particularly charged period, with this particular theme seeming to be a response to that, and breaking the unity escapism facade the company always built leading to the flame wars this ride is having to this day.
  • Having Splash leave with no ceremony and erasing every evidence it existed (while not truly being able to do so with Tokyo existing).
  • Deciding to have the longer MK version, which this redesign wasn't geared towards be the one that gets renovated first and that empty space which feels like budget cuts be the first impression.
  • The plot announcement that was poorly received by everyone and led to far too late management readjustments alongside potentially lessening the amount of screens used.
  • Openly saying the one character and potential plot point that was universally considered a brilliant inclusion for a log flume ride will not be included.
  • The weird backstory stuff that ultimately meant little to nothing on the actual ride and seemed to flip-flop between who it was trying to appease.
  • Not revealing any of the inside theming except some of the impressive animatronics (which was arguably its only smart move) until now.
  • Having the opening date leaked 12 hours earlier then planned by mistake.
  • Releasing the behind the scenes video to try and jump any negative reviews but just leading to negative online first impressions including with journalists.
  • The ride breaking down so often during previews it's been fully operation only a few hours so far
So many better ways they could have handled this, even if the ride itself would have been the same end result.

Figgy1

Tell them to build one about a rabbit. Getting chased by a bear. Make it a water ride. And throw in a Toad and a Viking for good measure.

Midwest Elitist

Regardless of your opinion on the final ride, I believe we can agree how much of an absolute PR disaster their handling of this ride has been. Starcruiser levels of mismanagement.

• Having Splash leave with no ceremony and erasing every evidence it existed (while not truly being able to do so with Tokyo existing).
The erasure of Zip is one of the biggest tragedies in American cultural history, I truly believe that. It sounds nothing like the ice cream truck song, so the resemblance to that song makes no sense if you think about it longer than a millisecond. What was once a song inspired by kids singing "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" is now tarnished by lies. This will continue with other elements of the company history, since Jim Khorkis, an actual credible Disney historian, is now dead.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

• Announcing both being rethemed at the same time, during a particularly charged period, with this particular theme seeming to be a response to that, and breaking the unity escapism facade the company always built leading to the flame wars this ride is having to this day.
  • Deciding to have the longer MK version, which this redesign wasn't geared towards be the one that gets renovated first and that empty space which feels like budget cuts be the first impression.
  • The plot announcement that was poorly received by everyone and led to far too late management readjustments alongside potentially lessening the amount of screens used.
  • Openly saying the one character and potential plot point that was universally considered a brilliant inclusion for a log flume ride will not be included.
  • The weird backstory stuff that ultimately meant little to nothing on the actual ride and seemed to flip-flop between who it was trying to appease.
  • Not revealing any of the inside theming except some of the impressive animatronics (which was arguably its only smart move) until now.
  • Having the opening date leaked 12 hours earlier then planned by mistake.
  • Releasing the behind the scenes video to try and jump any negative reviews but just leading to negative online first impressions including with journalists.
  • The ride breaking down so often during previews it's been fully operation only a few hours so far
So many better ways they could have handled this, even if the ride itself would have been the same end result.
Perhaps they should rename it "Titanic's Bayou Adventure."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom