News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

James Alucobond

So the glazers are out in full force now.

Those against it and in the middle:
"Here's a massive list of things why it's bad."

Glazers:
"Lol the general public will ride it."

Like, are y'all actually paid?

The negative comments and dislike bar are still growing. That's not only the "Save Splashers," or what ever excuse you want to make. A legitimate piece of Disney culture is gone, and replaced by a sham that poorly utilizes it's source material. People are upset.
You’re reading a statement of fact as a defense. It’s not meant as such. No one is trying to offend you by pointing out that online sentiment and attendance reality are often mismatched, nor does that mean the quality is what it should be.

rtmachine

Out of all the things to do at WDW this one re theme no matter if it's liked or not by anybody will not change much in the way of people wanting to go there.
Economic forces and Maybe Epic could , no one really knows for sure.

dreamfinding

When I went on Pinocchio's Daring Journey, I was completely jumpscared by that and felt like they should probably address it sooner rather than later.
I visited DLR for the first time in December. Pinocchio’s was definitely a jumpscare.

I think they need to address *that* before they even think about touching Tiki Room. Also - how has Pinocchio’s been untouched but the Country Bears had to go to the chopping block?

James Alucobond

Is it a good sign that your rabid fans overwhelmingly dislike your product?

I don’t get this.
I’m not saying they’re necessarily wrong, but rabid fans are primed to dislike any replacement, especially in a case like this where Disney is obviously trying to curate their back catalogue in hopes that people will forget about what came before. I can’t think of any replacement that wasn’t contentious, though it’s obviously magnified here.

Mr. Sullivan

So the glazers are out in full force now.

Those against it and in the middle:
"Here's a massive list of things why it's bad."

Glazers:
"Lol the general public will ride it."

Like, are y'all actually paid?

The negative comments and dislike bar are still growing. That's not only the "Save Splashers," or what ever excuse you want to make. A legitimate piece of Disney culture is gone, and replaced by a sham that poorly utilizes it's source material. People are upset.
It isn’t glazing to point out that social media more often than not doesn’t equal reality. I’m sure even those who don’t like it can agree that something’s online popularity or unpopularity and it’s real life popularity or unpopularity don’t often align. Online echo chambers aren’t real life and never have been.

The reality is the vast majority of people don’t look at these rides the way Disney fans do. They don’t hold them in as high regard as we do nor do they hate them as much as we do. That just isn’t how most people engage in theme parks. They just ask did I have fun or didn’t I?

Again that isn’t to say there isn’t anything worth being critical of with TBA. There is. We’re just saying that these thumbs up thumbs down things doesn’t mean anything in real life.

Countless movies that make a ton of money at the box office get their trailers downvoted to oblivion. Doesn’t stop the movies from succeeding. And it doesn’t because those votes aren’t real life and don’t reflect how actual every day people engage with the world around them.

Trauma

Out of all the things to do at WDW this one re theme no matter if it's liked or not by anybody will not change much in the way of people wanting to go there.
Economic forces and Maybe Epic could , no one really knows for sure.
I respect your opinion but I think your argument is flawed. This re-theme in isolation won’t affect people’s desire to attend. However it does add to the cumulative effect of all the downgrades coinciding with endless price increases.

How does the song go ?

All in all it’s just another brick in the Wall…

V_L_Raptor

Watched a few ridethrough videos. I think the overall ride idea is cute, and I'm not too concerned about the shrinking plot (if it means giant frogs, I'm fine with it). It does seem that an awful lot of design choices went into the externalities of the barn design, shops, signs, and so forth, and I do wish some more detail work had been done on the inside, but enough people have belabored that already.

There are a bunch of hollows and spaces throughout that could've held interesting props and static vignettes, but instead, they're empty and/or poorly lit at best. (The POV from the front of the boat misses a few of these by not turning to look, but they're especially glaring in the outdoor segments.) I love AA's, but I don't think a ride like this needs to be heavily loaded with animated figures so long as it looks like the designers planned on making full illustrative use of the spaces available by some means or another. Many seem empty, or they're taken up with ambient set pieces (seemed like an awful lot of grass in places...) that don't really draw attention or interest. I don't think it's up to standard, no, but I don't think it's the end of the world, either. (Mind you, I was just Splash-agnostic for its full run.)

Speaking of AA's, while it's nice that the figures are set to trigger on the boat getting close enough for the character to "talk to" the folks in the log, the reset pause in between lines or boats is awfully glaring. (Mama Odie in the finale looks like she goes offline in between lines, even.) That's... yeah, that's some sloppy programming. I don't really have a benefit of the doubt to extend on that one. Looping movements for believable characterization isn't exactly new technology, and even a puppeteer walking around a fairground knows not to let the puppets go dead in front of their audience.

People who think they're incisive and decisive by blaming the final product on DEI aren't anywhere near as witty or urbane as they hope to seem. There's no excuse. My ignore button finger got quite a workout this morning. (People need to go touch some grass after posting in this thread, and I don't mean hub astroturf. Geez.)

The music seems fun, although I wish more of it outside of the finale was instrumental only. I love a nice, evocative instrumental track. Dialogue could use some work, but this is all in the now somehow encouraged "let's go find it!" show writing vein. Plot and dialogue are certainly linked, but between the two, I think the plot could use a lot more fussing than the dialogue. I am truly sick of rides about finding things, and WDI's proclivity for reusing that plot is insidious.

I don't think I'll be charging into the line at the earliest available opportunity, but then, I wasn't too interested in Splash, either. That said, I wouldn't be torn up about it if I found myself in the TBA queue.

CampbellzSoup

I just watched the ride through again it’s really really barren in the frog sequence you’d think that be where the creativity and imagination came out

Professortango1

The fact of the matter is Splash Mountain made a lot of people uncomfortable and has for years, but until that conversation gained traction, they weren't comfortable talking about it for fear of the exact kind of response it ended up getting. I'm much happier knowing that something that actively made people feel uncomfortable is gone from Disney. There's no place for something like that in the parks.
I find that "fact" to be very suspect. Most people have never even seen the film as it hasn't been legally available in the US since the late 80's. The whole petition thing was a result of some major "perfect storm" factors

• COVID - Everyone was starting to go a little crazy being stuck at home and online movements were big at this time as a result. A lot of unhappy people with nothing to do be online and tied into echo chambers.
  • BLM - A protest that I myself was swept up in and posted/shared probably a bit more than I should have due to reason #1. Getting a major company to "listen" to these protests is difficult, much less to have one implement change. Once Disney showed they were entertaining the idea, the whole movement blew up because everyone knew they were joining a winning fight vs protesting the NFL or other targets at the time.
  • The fan concept video on Twitter - With people glued to their screens and dreaming of getting out of the house, they were shown that Disney could easily make a NEW ride based on characters they knew by making some minor changes to a classic. The solution to turn the attraction into a PatF attraction was integral for this movement to succeed. Now it wouldn't be about tearing down a ride that people love but updating it for a new audience. People who didn't even care about the racial issues of either film were now on board because the Fan-Art looked fun and new. You didn't have to care about the issues, you could just want to ride that new ride.
  • Disney's retheme pushes - We know from Rhode that Disney was pushing to quickly and cheaply retheme older attractions with outdated IP to instead push new IP. This is why Mission BO occurred, a Rhode compromise to avoid a worse retheme of another attraction. Maelstrom for Frozen, Stormrider for Nemo, etc etc etc. Disney has seen the benefit of keeping bones in place and just swapping out the set dressing. Here was the chance to change a major E-Ticket into being based on characters they couldn't fully embrace for characters that they wanted to push more.
I'm not saying that were not people bothered by the ride's inspiration. But I don't remember anyone ever criticizing the ride or saying the ride makes them uncomfortable. At the most, it would be connected in a trial way of "hey, did you know this ride is actually based on this old racist movie? Disney won't even show it it's so bad."

And in regard to BLM, most Black Americans I spoke with were concerned about Police Brutality and our Justice System and theme park ride was so low that it didn't even make the list of things we discussed.

BrianLo

Yes, it often strikes me that some of the most relentlessly negative posters on here who often scold other posters for rewarding Disney by expressing more positive opinions seem to casually mention being at WDW an awful lot.

Things I agree with:
-Disney sells an annual product, they should be expected to provide annual value for the product they hawk.
-People who go often certainly should and can hold Disney accountable and to a higher standard.
-Still attending the parks regularly, having a good time, but managing to critique and expect certain levels of standards.
-Bemoaning quality reductions, lack of capital expenditures, pricing above inflation, cuts, quality, maintenance standards, etc.

Things that annoy me:
-Relentlessly maintaining your addiction when the company is poorly meeting your standards (probably rightfully so) and using excuses why you 'have to' (or pretending you are not addicted to achieve some sort of oneupmanship).
-Not being accountable for personal contribution to burnout with a product by relentlessly over-indulging in it.
-Feeling the need to have a grand exit from your fandom instead of self-awareness to withdraw slowly.
-Refusing to seek alternative vacation options and blaming Disney for malcontent from your inability to self-regulate
-Petty jealousy at those who derive enjoyment out of things that perhaps don't encapsulate your own prior time-shot with the company, which are likely nostalgia centred in their judgement. Just as new consumers might be forming their own unrealistic nostalgic centred connections now.

Basically just own your fandom and be critical at the same time.

All of which is to say I have literally no informed opinion on this ride since I haven't watched the POV. 😂

aladdin2007

The Forbes article sure took a stab at D'Amaro,,,Disney is going to have some damage control on its hands to deal with by the sound of things.

davis_unoxx

Are the creatures in the first few scenes the band players even audio animatronics?

They seem like they have same movement as most of the figures as Little Mermaid ride, most of them only move in one direction and eyes don’t close or move…

How is this updated vs splash mountain if they have less charm and more simple design? lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom