News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Mr. Sullivan

Now the entirety of the internet is an echo chamber.
It is. That’s kinda the whole point.

This forum. Twitter. Reddit. YouTube. All of it is an echo chamber. It is a place devoid of consequences and all pushback is impersonal and inconsequential so it emboldens people to argue and fight and say whatever they want because they’re allowed to be anonymous.

People can blindly hate or blindly love whatever they want because the internet removes the nuances of real life interaction and conversations and allows someone to completely silence any voice that speaks against their beliefs and focus only on hearing what they agree with.

It allows a curation to the experience the user wants exactly. Real life doesn’t.

Homemade Imagineering

the argument that kids will enjoy this and that’s all that matters at the end of the day is incredibly flawed, not only because a younger child isn’t able to formulate more critical/thoughtful opinions of an attraction, but more importantly because if that was the only standard that had to be met then WDI would be rendered useless. WDI is meant to create complex attractions that tell stories with cohesive set design and proper pacing. The very job of an imagineer is to create something that will tell a complex story and will resonate with ALL guests, not just the little ones. If the content being produced is only created for the sake of children’s entertainment, then what is the point of hiring talent at all?? Good attraction design is when both the parents and the children can come away from an experience feeling like they took something away from said experience, and while children will be far more forgiving in this instance, adults are much harder to please. That is why Walt Disney created Disneyland in the first place, to appeal to not only children but adults alike. There needs to be something for everyone, and while I think it’s great that some can ignore the issues with TBA in lieu of their children having good experiences with it, that doesn’t mean that criticism of the attraction is invalid. If you enjoy what Disney has given us, then that’s fantastic, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but there will always be constructive criticism in the entertainment world, whether that’s with television/film or theme parks. Criticism should be welcomed so some of us won’t have to continue to feel underwhelmed. If they can please their most critical fans, then almost 99% of everyone else will be satisfied

davis_unoxx

I'm glad you found it funny that a song ingrained in Disney History, therefore American history since the 70's, is now erased from the public. You win, and did a fantastic job refuting legitimate criticism with what boils down to "nuh uh". I prefaced "cultural" because I wanted to avoid that I was equivocating legitimate harms this country has done, with erasure of art. You fell into the trap and proved my point, now everyone can see it.
I agree with you completely, before I even knew where the song came from I remember singing it in my elementary school choir! It’s special

Inspired Figment

Or.. ‘Tiana’s Bayou Adventure: With Br’er Rabbit’

So the fix for the redo is this (ala Journey Into Your Imagination ‘99 to With Figment ‘02).. Tiana’s planning her critter band party just like the first redo but she discovers a new critter has wanted to join in on the fun, Br’er Rabbit and it happens he’s looking for his laughing place.. so what better way to get a laugh than to hijack/screw up/prank Tiana’s party plans every step of the way, Tiana & Louis getting annoyed with him ala Dr. Channing until the very end when Tiana & Louis finally learn from Br’er Rabbit “Everybody’s Got a Laughin’ Place, it’s just people need to take the time to look for it.” and it ends with her, Louis, her friends, and Br’er Rabbit and some reused AAs from the previous ride laughing altogether at the end/finale

Just a way to rub salt on the wound like With Figment did on the fan complaints surrounding the redo, under the masquerade of a “return/comeback”.
Wow.. I didn’t realize I literally made this comment on the 22nd Anniversary of ‘Journey Into Imagination: With Figment’’s opening… oiii.. quite the “sense-sational” day.. isn’t it?? Ugghh… talk about a massive dissapointment. All the marketing and hype like they were gonna restore it back to it’s former glory only to get.. the same bad redo with empty show scenes full of scenes draped in black curtain, closed doors & test charts but Figment shoehorned in the way he is to mock the fan complaints with a rogue phone call,, a random bad CG animated sing along on an eye chart, skunk farts and a toilet stuck to the ceiling in the “Friends of Figment” upside down room. Just.. what on earth?? Beyond tone-deaf, insulting, & stupid. Especially when you consider Disney was founded upon the very quality of imagination and there they just mock it. “It’s just turning your thinking upside down”. 🙄😑 Sad that we’re pretty much back to that with the Splash redo, just with high tech animatronics shoehorned in. I ‘really’ hope they take the right lesson from the Journey Into Imagination debacle and don’t repeat the same thing whenever they plan to fix Tiana’s Bayou Adventure/Splash Mountain … can’t say my hopes are that high though. (Let alone in restoring Journey Into Imagination back to its former glory with tech & spfx enhancements it should’ve received back in ‘98 instead of the lousy Honey I Shrunk IP retheme we got.. which is LONG overdue). But who knows.. maybe.. just maybe, they might be smart enough to do ‘that’ atleast after this debacle. Not putting much hope in current management though, that’s for sure. Will probably take a change of management to do anything, I gather.
IMG_9813.jpeg

Last edited:

Ghost93

I think they have, wish they were interviewed on the media though.
Frederick Chambers started the idea, but his was based more on the actual Princess and the Frog movie and was much more interesting than what Tiana's Bayou Adventure turned out to be. His concept actually had me hyped for the potential retheme.

davis_unoxx

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but the temporary attraction, The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow is better than Tiana straight up.

At least with that attraction you had the charm and wit of Johnny Depp, people laughing and smiling. No one’s doing that on this Hobby Lobby of a ride.

MrPromey

To me, this video helps highlight everything bad about attraction re-themes where they try to shoehorn in something that the attraction space was not designed around.

In this case, if you're familiar with the original, you get to ride along and point out all the areas shown that make no sense, seem dead or had a purpose in the structure of the original ride and its story but don't now.

I'd even say "maybe it'll be better in person" but this is Disney's own video for it so if this is the impression we're left with from their own marketing effort, what does that say about it?

Also, what's the deal with the wall/fence that has stuff painted on it leading into the mill (first lift hill) near the beginning? What are they covering there with what looks like Six-Flags level effort and why are they focusing the camera right on it in that video?

As for the dead spaces, there are clear cuts in the video, why did they leave these nothing-to-see-here patches in?

I guess if you don't remember the original, this wouldn't look as bad but a lot of people are going to remember the original and it looks like they've replaced a lot of eye candy from the former with shadows to hide the spaces they didn't work on filling in with new stuff.

This is just weird. They knew there was guest controversy over this change. Clearly they thought releasing this video was going to accomplish something. I just can't figure out what.

Last edited:

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
The answer is (sadly) that Disney isn’t as good anymore, as the original designers of these rides were. They now design by committee and the finished products come out looking like exactly what they are, a hodgepodge of too many executives and board meetings and not enough artists making creative decisions. They had better stop messing with their core classic rides. They no longer have the ability to compete with their former selves.
While executive meddling can be a problem, it’s not responsible for ruining everything. There have been fantastic rides to come out of Imagineering’s wheelhouse over the past decade. Shanghai Pirates. Rise. Cosmic Rewind. Flight of Passage. Frozen Journey. Even Mission: Breakout (due in no small part to Joe Rhode).

Now they do have misfires. I’d say Frozen: Ever After, Test Track 2.0, Soarin’ Around the World, Iron Man Experience (Hong Kong), WEB Slingers, and now Tiana’s are all poorly executed for their scale and what they are trying to do. None of them are awful, but they definitely do not have the spark many other attractions or their similar iterations have had.

But they’ve had misfires before too from Nemo and current Figment at EPCOT to Kalli River Rapids and Mermaid. Perhaps misfire isn’t the right word, but it’s like “missing the mark.”

While it’s obviously a much better ride than Fast and Furious: Supercharged, the nature of this retheme really goes back to an executive mandate like TBA is. That’s a mistake Universal has learned from.

It will be interesting to see if Disney will do the same because this ride, well, definitely misses the mark on the humor, conflict, and adventure front the ride should deliver on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom