News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

MerlinTheGoat

But "can she cook too" is a joke, and a joke made by older guys. They're likely not serious.
Even most older guys (I'm 59) realize that woman haven't done the cooking any more than men since the 1970's.
We were in our teens and twenties in the 80's when most of that gender role specificity went by the wayside.
I do 99.99999% of the cooking, and ALL of the food shopping for that matter - in my house.
Add that to the yard work.
It depends on where you live and what type of environment you grow up in. I can tell you that in a lot of southern and/or rural areas of the US, old school household gender roles are still frequently adhered to. That's the case for much of my family for instance, most of the women still do the bulk of the cooking. My family is also sort of split as to how they treat women as well. There is a significant chunk of my family who still hold the sexist "women belong in the kitchen and are inferior to men" mindset (and it's not going away anytime soon as even the kids are being taught this), that's on my maternal grandmother's side. My maternal grandfather's side is immensely more egalitarian and doesn't generally demand adherence to gender roles, but even there, the women STILL usually gravitate towards cooking.

Restaurants are different however. Even going way back in time, it was common for men to be the cooks. In fact, some restaurants even frowned upon women being involved in cooking (especially the upscale ones requiring a lot of expensive higher education, Ratatouille referenced this in its plot with Colette). If you look at lists of the best and most famous chefs in the world, men vastly outnumber women.

Incomudro

It depends on where you live and what type of environment you grow up in. I can tell you that in a lot of southern and/or rural areas of the US, old school household gender roles are still frequently adhered to. That's the case for much of my family for instance, most of the women still do the bulk of the cooking. My family is also sort of split as to how they treat women as well. There is a significant chunk of my family who still hold the sexist "women belong in the kitchen and are inferior to men" mindset (and it's not going away anytime soon as even the kids are being taught this), that's on my maternal grandmother's side. My maternal grandfather's side is immensely more egalitarian and doesn't generally demand adherence to gender roles, but even there, the women STILL usually gravitate towards cooking.

Restaurants are different however. Even going way back in time, it was common for men to be the cooks. In fact, some restaurants even frowned upon women being involved in cooking (especially the upscale ones requiring a lot of expensive higher education, Ratatouille referenced this in its plot with Colette). If you look at lists of the best and most famous chefs in the world, men vastly outnumber women.

I grew up on Staten Island in a largely Italian American area.
Most of the "woman does the cooking stuff" was going away by the 80's.
Arguably men like myself took on more tasks, while the woman did less.
All of the "man work" yard work, heavy lifting etc., still belongs to the men.
Along with the diaper changes, cooking, cleaning etc.

TomboyJanet

That's true but I thought the thing about Colette was she was still kinda not good at cooking. Or at least she was trying too hard to adhere to the strict by the book way of doing things.

I like her anyway.

I grew up on Staten Island in a largely Italian American area.
Most of the "woman does the cooking stuff" was going away by the 80's.
Arguably men like myself took on more tasks, while the woman did less.
All of the "man work" yard work, heavy lifting etc., still belongs to the men.
Along with the diaper changes, cooking, cleaning etc.
In my area which is the suburbs its kinda the last suburb before the sticks so its half and half. It went for Bush and then It went for Obama in elections.

FettFan

My family was more like “you will learn to cook or you will STARVE”.

To hammer the point home, dad gave me an army surplus mess kit, a flint-and-steel, and three eggs. Then he locked the door to the house.

I learned to cook real quick. 😁

Attachments

• 7F887309-DC43-47AE-8325-DF9131833E68.jpeg
    7F887309-DC43-47AE-8325-DF9131833E68.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 31

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My family was more like “you will learn to cook or you will STARVE”.

To hammer the point home, dad gave me an army surplus mess kit, a flint-and-steel, and three eggs. Then he locked the door to the house.

I learned to cook real quick. 😁
Is it too late to call Child Protective Services?

WorldExplorer

That tree, sitting there on top of a flagship attraction for thirty years, means B'rer Fox arguably had a bigger park presense than a significant amount of the villain line-up villains.

Which is kind of funny and now kind of sad and not really impressive because it's not like he did anything to get his house up there, but still...not bad for the comedic villain from a banned movie.

mergatroid

So many older guys make jokes when I do things at work they say things like "can she cook too?" Also they will ignore me and talk to the men about how to work anything or find anything. This could just be at home depot with their clientele but that's the world I'm inundated with daily.
That's sad to hear and hopefully will be a thing from the past one day soon. There's learning to be done on both sides too as there's still lot's of ladies who say things like "Typical man" and roll their eyes, so it's not completely one way. As a man that really doesn't bother me as I understand the context in which it's said and more often than not it's done as levity in a fun way. I'd happily ask you for help at Home Depot if you worked there, to me I'd realise that by working there that you'd know your stuff.

Whilst some 'sexism' is done in a hurtful or demeaning way, it can also be done in jest especially if it's somebody that you know. I'll often tease my wife by saying stupid stuff like "Would you like some new washing up gloves for Christmas" as between the two of us it's done in a playful way. She'll reply with stuff equally as inappropriate but because we both know neither of us are sexist it's all good. I'll always make sure that people outside my circle don't hear me say it as I wouldn't want to offend anyone who didn't know in what context the comment was made.

FettFan

I think if it being more like that embarrassing lower back tattoo of the ex-wife’s name. Probably better to cut out the memory and change it up a bit. 😉

“Tree never existed, comrade. See? No tree here!”
Image-1.jpeg

Sad thing is that they could have saved a but if time and effort had they simply reshaped it into a cypress stump. Maybe add a few cypress knees.
cypress-stump-1-charlie-day.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom