News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Figments Friend

I remember asking one of the imagineers back in the day why the Country Bear Jamboree worked, while the Mickey Mouse Revue never seemed to connect. "Simple" he told me "CBJ was programmed by animators and MMR was programmed by programmers" The then told me to look at how eyes were. Bears moved and looked real. The major of the MMR has eyes that only blinked.

Yep.
Truth.

I have experience with this.
You have to move the figures as characters giving a performance, and not just ‘jiggling’ them around randomly.

There is a difference between a character performance and a figure just going through random motions.

-

SilentWindODoom

Trixie will also change her dress and I still won’t know which one is Trixie vs. Teddi Barra. Doesn’t really matter. They all make me laugh.

I mostly remember because of the line about Teddi Beara being the "last of the old time swayngers".

Liver Lips and the Sunbonnets are obvious. And Big Al is a classic if you're a fan. I'm actually blanking on the MC's name.

But I'm a big fan and never missed it, coming from a place of legitimately thinking the music rocked. When I mention I like more classic country and people ask for me to specify, I say "I unironically love the music of the Country Bear Jamboree."

James Alucobond

Hope this helps! 🤗

A more flattering rendering ...
1717192524938.jpeg

_caleb

More importantly, the song is tied to three major problems with the ride. The first is the absurd definition of “authenticity.” Nobody cares about the current or past residence of the guy who wrote the song or made a weathervane or painted a mural. This isn’t the New Orleans chamber of commerce, it’s a theme park ride. What matters is how the song FEELS. This song feels… fine. Certainly not the equal of an E-ticket finale song.
Because TBA is based on a real place, and people from that real place are qualified to create the art that comprise it, doesn't it make sense to have them do so? And wouldn't this person be better than someone who has no connection whatsoever to the place/culture being represented (even in a stylized, theme park sort of way)?

So much of the criticism Disney gets with cultural/localized content seems to come from people actually from those places saying, "this feels like a stereotype–like you're making fun of us––than an homage or having fun with us."

Of course, you also want theme park experts in the mix. From what I'm seeing, TBA is going to have a unique feel to it because of the collaboration of artists from New Orleans/Louisiana and WDI Imagineers.

James Alucobond

Because TBA is based on a real place, and people from that real place are qualified to create the art that comprise it, doesn't it make sense to have them do so? And wouldn't this person be better than someone who has no connection whatsoever to the place/culture being represented (even in a stylized, theme park sort of way)?
It makes sense if you can hit on the overlap of local craftspeople and people who create things that are reflective of the time period and style being represented. If you cannot find that, the time period and style should take precedence. For instance, someone who makes convincing Moorish Revival facades would be a better option for working on the Tower of Terror than a random architect who happens to live in a city where Moorish Revival was once popular, regardless of where the former lives.

_caleb

It makes sense if you can hit on the overlap of local craftspeople and people who create things that are reflective of the time period and style being represented. If you cannot find that, the time period and style should take precedence.
Right. And some here think they're in a better position than TBA's contributors to determine what's "reflective of the time period and style being represented."
For instance, someone who makes convincing Moorish Revival facades would be a better option for working on the Tower of Terror than a random architect who happens to live in a city where Moorish Revival was once popular, regardless of where the former lives.
I don't think WDI put out an all-call to any artist willing to contribute (and then blindly used whatever was submitted) without any guidance, instruction, or scrutiny. It seems clear to me that they didn't put "authentic" over story, design, or guest experience here.

Ayla

I honestly don’t grasp this level of obliviousness. If I vacation someplace regularly (heck, if I vacation someplace ONCE) I’m going to want to learn something about it. And avoiding a ride for over 50 years? I ride even the attractions I dislike every few years just to see if I still dislike them!

Big Al isn’t obscure. He’s on lots of merch and is featured pretty heavily outside the attraction. It’s only a bit better than not knowing who Figment is. I despise Duffy, but I know all about him… and he never had an attraction!
I have vacationed at WDW frequently the last 18 years...never seen The Country Bears. I am smart enough not to waste time on things that don't interest me.

LittleBuford

For instance, someone who makes convincing Moorish Revival facades would be a better option for working on the Tower of Terror than a random architect who happens to live in a city where Moorish Revival was once popular, regardless of where the former lives.
Beside the point, I know, but the architectural style of the Tower of Terror is not Moorish Revival. I think this idea has gained traction because of the belief that the building was designed to blend in with the Morocco pavilion, but whether or not it was, it’s more fittingly described as Spanish Colonial/Mission Revival, with very little about it that can be called Moorish.

James Alucobond

Right. And some here think they're in a better position than TBA's contributors to determine what's "reflective of the time period and style being represented."

I don't think WDI put out an all-call to any artist willing to contribute (and then blindly used whatever was submitted) without any guidance, instruction, or scrutiny. It seems clear to me that they didn't put "authentic" over story, design, or guest experience here.
The articles about the weather vane, murals, etc. do not mention why the artisans are qualified aside from claiming residence in New Orleans. This is in contrast to their coverage of Terence Blanchard's involvement, where they do at least talk a bit about why his work fits. I think there's a reason for that.

I would also argue that whether or not obscure examples of art from this time period can be found that look a bit like the murals on the barn, a layperson's general impression is still important, because the job of a themed environment is to be effortlessly convincing and transportive. If something feels discordant to the average guest, it's not successful.

Basketbuddy101

Did they remove the drop? No. Is the interior still air conditioned or at least cooler than it is outside? Yes. Then it will be about as enjoyable as before.
This is such a silly oversimplification of why the attraction was successful. The Timber Mountain Log Ride at Knott's has both of the things you just listed: a drop and air conditioning. Is it a better ride than Splash Mountain? Not even close. Most people will obviously enjoy the core log flume experience just fine, but this idea that Disney could've just slapped on any theme on the attraction and have it reach this level of cult status by virtue of its flume alone is absurd. Your money is better spent at Six Flags if theme and story act structure don't concern you.

LittleBuford

I don't know, that initial blast of A/C right as you turned the corner and started coming down the ramp was delightful. ;)
As someone who has never understood the American obsession with air conditioning despite having spent almost half my life living stateside, I can’t say I ever noticed that blast of cold air, much less welcomed it!

pigglewiggle

As someone who has never understood the American obsession with air conditioning despite having spent almost half my life living stateside, I can’t say I ever noticed that blast of cold air, much less welcomed it!

It cools us off when we are hot.
I choose not to be sweating, hot and uncomfortable in temps of 97 with a 73 dew point

I choose air conditioning.

yensidtlaw1969

It's always funny to see people insisting "the most qualified" person be given a creative job - as if that's really quantifiable in any objective way.

This comes up frequently re: Hollywood, Broadway . . . basically any creative endeavor, clearly including theme parks. The idea completely misunderstands how these spaces actually work. These are creative enterprises run by individuals who are making creative decisions, with more or less vision in their head but usually and somewhat necessarily without the whole picture in focus. Who's in charge of the project? It is ultimately their decision who is "the most qualified" for the given role, based on potentially a million different points of interest, most of which are not known to the public and often have to be guessed at by the leaders themselves.

Is the "most qualified" actor for a part the one who gives the best audition? The one who sings the best? The one with the large body of work? The one with the awards? The one whose salary requirements meet the budget? The one whose schedule matches that of filming? The one who has the best odds of selling tickets and justifying the risk of funding the project? The fresh face that audiences will watch without preconcieved notions? The one who's worked with the director and is known to be delightful while you're in the trenches of shooting? The one who "just feels right"? The one who's fourth in line after the first 3 actors say no? The one without any social media scandal? The one with? The one who's had plenty of opportunity to hone their craft? The one who's been wrongfully denied it? Ultimately it's for a small brain trust to decide who best seems to suit their project across the different criteria from the not-actually-unlimited pool of people available, interested, and known to the group of creatives, who are fallible. As are the people being hired. This goes for about any creative role.

I can absolutely agree that it often results in a better product to hire someone who has legitimate talent and not simply name recognition. But even talent is subjective, and every choice comes with a level of risk. Your project could be the one where the old stalwarts stumble. It could be the one where the new talent finds their footing. It could be one where an act of god prevents it all coming together despite everyone delivering on their best intentions. Or, rarely but possibly, it could be one where everyone phones it in for the paycheck. Any of those things could be possible, even when hiring the person who seems to those in charge to be "the most qualified".

The concept seems to imply some divine truth that for any given assignment there is secretly one person who holds the key to ultimate success of a project's component, and anyone outside of them can only fall short of the peak resolution. But there's no higher power who holds the truth that, actually, this other person was more qualified, but got skipped over for reasons that could only be considered unsavory. It's just people, choosing other people based on what they think seems like a good fit for their vision, knowing what they know, which can never be everything, and hoping it all tickles the audience just the way they want to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom