News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

_caleb

Considering it’s in cajun country it could be just about anything whether it be from the land, the sea, or even something that flies. If its got meat and doesn't taste horrible even after spices then its on the menu.
The character of Tiana is inspired by Chef Leah Chase, New Orleans’s legendary “Queen of Creole Cuisine.”

celluloid

Now, can anyone tell me if they are there yet with the construction?

The ride dynamic track layout is done, and the ride vehicles are almost finished. The water will have to come back and rest finished up before it can start testing though.

Everything else is just beginning to go under work.

RobWDW1971

Chef Chase was born in 1923, and did not own her own restaurant until the 1950s.
But historically, co-ops were foundational to African American business during the 20s and 30s.

And by “her own” you mean her husband’s parents’ restaurant that her husband and her took over nearly thirty years after this ridiculous story is set.

Also, I’m sure that would come as quite a surprise to her husband that it was “her own” restaurant!

Keep trying, it’s fun to watch the rationalization!

Last edited:

_caleb

And by “her own” you mean her husband’s parents’ restaurant that her husband and her took over nearly thirty years after this ridiculous story is set.

Also, I’m sure that would come as quite a surprise to her husband that it was “her own” restaurant!

Keep trying, it’s fun to watch the rationalization!
I'm not sure what you think is funny about that history. Yes, the restaurant began as a sandwich shop owned by Dooky Chase's parents. What does that have to do with anything?

And because Tiana is inspired by Chef Chase and not intended to actually be her, I'm not sure why it matters that Princess and the Frog is set earlier than Chase's business.

I'm not rationalizing anything, I'm explaining for anyone who may not know who Chef Chase was or that there's a difference between Creole and Cajun.

JoeCamel

The ride dynamic track layout is done, and the ride vehicles are almost finished. The water will have to come back and rest finished up before it can start testing though.

Everything else is just beginning to go under work.
Ummm about that water thing, seems the CMs were so strapped for cash with their low wages they sold it all on Fleabay so there are currently meetings happening around sourcing its replacement

celluloid

Ummm about that water thing, seems the CMs were so strapped for cash with their low wages they sold it all on Fleabay so there are currently meetings happening around sourcing its replacement
Dang. It will be a lot quieter in that cement pool backstage then.

We are going to find it replaced with shifting/ flowing salt.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The apologists are really swinging for the fences. Since there were real female chefs in the 1930s does not make this a good story for an attraction in Frontierland.
The haters are really swinging for the fences thinking this is a historical travelogue that has to have a real life female chef counterpart in the 1930s and thus does not make this a good story for an attraction in evolving Frontierland in which someone was turned into a frog.

_caleb

Since there were real female chefs in the 1930s does not make this a good story for an attraction in Frontierland.
Why the sarcasm? No need to call me an "apologist" and the whole "swinging for the fences" bit. Why not just discuss in good faith?

Regardless of how the ride turns out, I think it's pretty cool that Tiana was inspired by this amazing person with such an interesting history and cultural influence. I'm interested to see how much Chef Chase might inspire other aspects of the attraction.

celluloid

The haters are really swinging for the fences thinking this is a historical travelogue that has to have a real life female chef counterpart in the 1930s and thus does not make this a good story for an attraction in evolving Frontierland in which someone was turned into a frog.

No. It was brought up that Princess Tiana was based on a real person in this case, some Anachronistic nature is fine, but let's not say she was inspired by a woman who owned a business in the 1950s. It is funny as even that is much later than the late 20s/early 30s timeframe of this attraction's setting.
That makes the Frontier fit even worse.

No need for any hater to swing for the fence. Disney is playing for that team just fine.

It does not have to have anything that really happened at all for it to be a good attraction. Disney somehow made it bad storytelling while trying to do both.

No one has claimed it is a historical travelogue. An inspired one through the Lense of the Magic Kingdom sure, hence Disney showcasing and spending money and time on promoting the money and time they spent researching parts of Louisiana on trips and experiencing local culture there. Disney invited themselves to that party, and some here were trying to claim she is inspired by real 1940s/50s businesswomen. The entire thing is just silly as none of it fits.

Tiana's business younger than Disney starting his company in 1923 and Mickey Mouse being a well known cartoon star. After commercial flights.

Now if you will excuse me, I am going to watch my favorite American Frontier movie, Marx Bros. in DUCK SOUP.

Last edited:

celluloid

I said let's not say, not that Disney was not trying to in relation to an attraction about a Co-Op in the 1920s/30s. Hence why it is silly and none of it fits. You presumed it was all about you earlier. This is why I don't want care to try and have a good faith conversation with you, because your reputation of not actually reading and responding to the entire thing, but just quoting bits out of context of the entire conversation.

Last edited:

_caleb

I said let's not say, not that Disney was not trying to. hence why it is silly and none of it fits. You presumed it was all about you ealrier. This is why I don't want care to have good faith conversation with you, because your reputation of not actually reading and responding.
Ooh. I have a reputation? I had no idea! And my reputation is that I don't read and respond? That's fascinating.

I think I was the only one who mentioned Leah Chase, so that's why I assumed you were talking about me when you wrote:
The apologists are really swinging for the fences. Since there were real female chefs in the 1930s does not make this a good story for an attraction in Frontierland.
Sorry if I jumped to conclusions and you were referring to someone else.

It's totally fine if you don't like the retheme or if the ride isn't your cup of tea. I'm here to discuss the new ride, so the story, the backstory, the cultural influences and the history are all interesting to me.

I agree that Leah Chase being an inspiration behind Tiana doesn't automatically mean that the ride will be a guaranteed masterpiece. For me, it just adds a fun layer of interest.

As something of a foodie, I'm excited that they're going to lean into the food aspect of Tiana. I'm hoping they have café au lait with chicory on the menu somewhere nearby.

Come on, let's be friends!

celluloid

Ooh. I have a reputation? I had no idea! And my reputation is that I don't read and respond? That's fascinating.

You did it again. You respond alight, but you do so while omitting other parts that take things out of their complete context. What you quoted from me was not my first post on the matter and it is clear in this context it is about the attraction. I mentioned specifically to the attraction. You are not the only one who has discussed her being based on real figures, as apparent with Disney published videos on the subject. You attempted an evidence piece when it was never debated if Disney said so or not. Let us not say "oh well she is based on real figures from the 50s, as it does not lend itself any better of a fit for the attraction in Frontierland.

It was about the bad fit for the attraction.

You can be excited about the attraction, the food, the merch and anything else, it does not make it a good thematic fit. I am glad you are happy about it. But you don't need to claim it is a good fit.
It is not even mutually exclusive. You could like the attraction and find it a bad fit for the thematic surroundings.

Maybe the queue will have a picture of Tiana seeing King Kong or Frankenstein in theaters. If they don't want to be sol bold, they can stick to a few years earlier and have her giggling at Plane Crazy together on a familiar, slightly aged Main Street.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom