News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

MerlinTheGoat

That 60+ figure includes the 40 Stormtroopers in the large room, most of which just have slight head movements, some of which don’t even have that.
This. Though I wondered if that was a sarcastic comment.

Do the Stormtrooper mannequins in the Hangar really count though?
Nope, the stormtroopers that DO move have a single axis of motion in either the neck an/or the arms to raise/lower the guns. Most of them though seem to be entirely static mannequins and don't even have ANY motion as far as i'm aware. But for the few that do move, even the dolls in Small World have more motion. Heck, a number of the ancient limited motion figures in Peter Pan's Flight have more motion as well.

Are the storm troopers in the AT-AT video or real? I couldn’t remember so I counted them.

I was also giving the probe droid cause the little guy works as hard as he can.
The troopers in the AT-AT window are video projections. The probe droid only swivels its head.

celluloid

Yeah but that troll didn’t send you through a narrow hall of video screens with large snowflakes on them!!!
Dang, breaks my heart even more.

That mural on the mill and other things removed and altered from the exterior in this construction hit very close to the Maelstrom opening being covered up and ruining the best theme park kinetic energy teases of all time.

I think the construction is showing that some Imagineers need to push back a little bit or be happy working for not the prestige of Imagineering, because there are better creative choices going on elsewhere.

I don't like blaming Imagineers individually, but as a whole. Some need to bite back and say when things are bad.

celluloid

I get not liking the new artwork; I don’t really care for it either. But the way it’s sent the thread into a wild spin is a bit surprising to me. A lot more weight is being given to a single flat painting than to the photos of interior scenery that were shared a few weeks ago and generally well received.

Well the photo is more construction progress based and seen in actual conditions.

The photos shared by the company's PR are staged and nothing is really happening in it. So it is hard to tell what is staged.

The guest seen continuation that matches the direction many people has makes sense that it would hold more weight would it not?

Why do you consider it a wild spin? Because you don't agree with the discussion on the construction update?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To all the “the coop is just a backstory” folks, why are you ignoring what Disney’s published regarding the storyline for the ride? The on-ride continuation of the mural corroborates this is what we’re largely going to get:

View attachment 762030

1. We and the community are invited to a thank-you party.

Tiana wants to give a big thanks to her family and friends and the entire community for all the support they’ve given her by throwing an amazing party during Mardi Gras season.

2. Tiana invites us to go with her for the missing ingredient.

When it turns out there’s been a bit of a mix-up with the party preparations, Tiana invites us to meet her at Tiana’s Foods to help with the missing ingredient for the party.

3. We "arrive" at the attraction, i.e., "Tiana's Foods." We see what Tiana has done to the place: decorations, food being prepared for the party. We haven't started the ride yet. This is all presumably just the queue.

When we arrive, we may see that Tiana spruced up the company’s facilities with vibrant art from local artists. Food for the party is being prepared and beignets are being loaded into crates for the celebration.

4. The ride hasn't started yet because we're watching the *preparations* for the journey.

All kinds of preparations are underway for the journey into the bayou with Tiana, along with new and familiar friends from the animated film.

5. The article doesn't continue to talk about the journey/ride. Instead, just more background about what happened after the movie.

Picking up where that story left off, Tiana continues bringing people together with Tiana’s Foods, another treasured meeting place to spend time together and celebrate a diverse community. Tiana is also working with cooperative members to teach gardening and cooking to children of all ages, and inspiring other women to run successful businesses as the brand grows nationwide.

I'll admit it's bad copywriting. But it's not proof that the ride part of the attraction will be a civics course on co-ops.

Ayla

I get not liking the new artwork; I don’t really care for it either. But the way it’s sent the thread into a wild spin is a bit surprising to me. A lot more weight is being given to a single flat painting than to the photos of interior scenery that were shared a few weeks ago and generally well received.
You're seriously surprised? 😂

LittleBuford

Well the photo is more construction progress based and seen in actual conditions.

The photos shared by the company's PR are staged and nothing is really happening in it. So it is hard to tell what is staged.
I don’t understand what you mean. This photo is pretty informative, and most people here liked what they saw:

Tianas-Bayou-Adventure_Full_54428.jpg

Why do you consider it a wild spin? Because you don't agree with the discussion on the construction update?
Because of the amount of tangential discussion it’s generated. Much of it has nothing to do with the painting itself or any sort of construction update; people are rehashing old discontents that were aired ad infinitum months ago.

mickEblu

I don’t understand what you mean. This photo is pretty informative, and most people here liked what they saw:

Tianas-Bayou-Adventure_Full_54428.jpg

Because of the amount of tangential discussion it’s generated. Much of it has nothing to do with the painting itself or any sort of construction update; people are rehashing old discontents that were aired ad infinitum months ago.

It’s very simple. The interior shots they shared with us last week are the bare minimum of what we expect. So our expectations are only being met, not surpassed. Well, as much as they can be met for a scene that’s just showing grass, a tree and an old shack. The mural we saw today falls well below our expectations of imagineers and feeds into some of our fears.

MerlinTheGoat

I DID warn yall a long time ago that some of the co-op backstory would spill over into the exterior as well, not just the queue. I think this is going to continue up until the first drop into the cavern (formerly Slippin Falls).

At least Splash already had some rustic farming equipment, so it wouldn't surprise me if they just leave some of those props alone. I suspect this section of the model for DL is probably a good indication of what the curve atop the mill lift will look like-

1704673152849.jpeg

It's after the first drop (formerly Slippin Falls) where it's supposed to change and become a musical critter dark ride.

That said, this fence mural I was not expecting. It wasn't included as a part of either DL's model or the CG rendering of WDW's. Though to be fair, Disneyland probably won't receive this mural since they never had the fence to begin with. The fence is actually absent in WDW's render though (I assume it functions as some sort of barrier to hide backstage/mechanical elements and the artists simply didn't think to include it in the render). The mural definitely does not look good regardless.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

It’s very simple. The interior shots they shared with us last week are the bare minimum of what we expect. So our expectations are being met. Well, as much as they can be met for a scene that’s just showing grass, a tree and an old shack.
At least some posters seemed pleasantly surprised, relieved almost. I just went back and looked at the posts in question to make sure I wasn't misremembering.

The mural we saw today falls well below our expectations of imagineers and feeds into some of our fears.
Yes, and I suppose it's the extent and immediacy of those fears that I'm taken aback by.

mickEblu

At least some posters seemed pleasantly surprised, relieved almost. I just went back and looked at the posts in question to make sure I wasn't misremembering.

Yes, and I suppose it's the extent and immediacy of those fears that I'm taken aback by.

Well that just shows you that we may not all be as negative as you think if just the smallest reassurance makes one happy.

The new mural in the rustic old mill is pretty egregious though. I don’t trust the people who decided to put that there.

LittleBuford

Well that just shows you that we may not all be as negative as you think if just the smallest reassurance makes one happy.
I was relieved too. What some of you seem not to understand is that this needn't be a binary choice between being for or against the new attraction. I loved Splash Mountain and will miss it terribly, and I am quite nervous about Tiana's Bayou Adventure. At the same time, I'm not sure what there is to gain by assuming it's going to be trash when the updates have been a mixed (and somewhat confusing) bag. It makes more sense in my view to wait for the final product and keep an open mind in the meantime.

LittleBuford

Does either mural give you hope that they are gonna get this right?
I've come around to the larger mural. It doesn't relate to the period in any real way, but it gives off a fun, festive vibe that I hope is there in the ride itself.

I doubt I'll ever like the mural that was revealed today. It'll probably look less bad in the context of the overall ride, which will have much else to see, but it'll never win me over in isolation.

mickEblu

I was relieved too. What some of you seem not to understand is that this needn't be a binary choice between being for or against the new attraction. I loved Splash Mountain and will miss it terribly, and I am quite nervous about Tiana's Bayou Adventure. At the same time, I'm not sure what there is to gain by assuming it's going to be trash when the updates have been a mixed (and somewhat confusing) bag. It makes more sense to me to wait and keep and open mind in the meantime.

It’s really simple. We don’t like what we’re seeing or hearing. This is how things work. The extent of the concern is based on how much we don’t like what we’re seeing or hearing. For example so far all I like is the stone work in the exterior queue and can appreciate the greenery on the mountain even if I believe if it’s a little too much and doesn’t quite fit in Frontierland. Keeping an open mind is a more realistic ask if one likes at least 50% or more of what they’re seeing/ hearing. It also depends on the amount of faith one has in the people doing the work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom