News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm not too sure, but the shack kinda looks like its actually flat and sculpted in a relief style that make it look like it goes further back than it actually is.
Indeed.

Someone posted a video of one of the original Imagineers of Splash going over it's construction and he mentioned many times that the space for the dioramas is surprisingly shallow, especially since they had to leave room for guests to evacuate when the ride goes down or there is an emergency.

So... both the original Imagineers and the current ones have to create illusions of depth.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

The walkway alongside the queue area for Tiana's Bayou Adventure is now open with new flooring and rails​

Tianas-Bayou-Adventure_Full_54443.jpg

Dan Deesnee

You qualified the information as coming from credible reports in the plural, which is misleading at best. You can believe whatever you want, but it should be noted that it’s from one person, corroborated by no one else.

The briar patch looked significantly more synthetic than anything they’ve added thus far for Bayou Adventure.

Of course it did, it was meant to be cartoonish and thus had style over realism. In other words, it was much better than what we've seen so far.

Everything so far in this reboot of the ride just looks cheap and poorly done. That water tower... This is Magic Kingdom, the premier family vacation destination and that's the best they could do?

James Alucobond

Of course it did, it was meant to be cartoonish and thus had style over realism. In other words, it was much better than what we've seen so far.

Everything so far in this reboot of the ride just looks cheap and poorly done. That water tower... This is Magic Kingdom, the premier family vacation destination and that's the best they could do?
If you liked the cartoonish look better, that's cool, but that's not really what you said initially. You just complained that there was vegetation you felt was obviously artificial, which has always been the case (to an even greater extreme in the past). In my opinion, the more realistic look actually blends a bit better with the rest of Frontierland. None of the other RoA-facing attractions or facades have cartoonish plants in them, so the briars always felt a bit like a sore thumb to me.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
1702996177783.png

Nothing says "Frontier Land" like gilded and ornate early 1900's Dixie style iron work and decorative brick work.

But since they put Tianna's Tree filled "Rainforest Cafe" Mountain between Pecos Bill and Thunder Mountain, it's clear they just don't care.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

Nothing says "Frontier Land" like gilded and ornate early 1900's style iron work and decorative brick work.

But since they put Tianna's Tree filled "Rainforest Cafe" Mountain between Pecos Bill and Thunder Mountain, it's clear they just don't care.
They're clearly attempting to used Frontierland Station as something of a portal, with things west of it having the flavor of New Orleans and things east of it having a more rustic look. Not ideal, but at least somewhat considered. And agreed that Pecos Bill needs some help so that the flow is New York > Pennsylvania > Missouri > Tennessee > Louisiana without the disruption of the southwest.

monothingie

Premium Member
They're clearly attempting to used Frontierland Station as something of a portal, with things west of it having the flavor of New Orleans and things east of it having a more rustic look. Not ideal, but at least somewhat considered. And agreed that Pecos Bill needs some help so that the flow is New York > Pennsylvania > Missouri > Tennessee > Louisiana without the disruption of the southwest.
What?

With Splash they were effectively able to blend the theming so that there were no harsh transitions between areas.

Between the observable finished construction and the out or era themed mural, it just looks cobbled together and disjointed.

James Alucobond

Yes, there will be a portion of it fairly clearly out-of-time behind Frontierland Station. Not ideal, as I said, but at least with some attempt at separation. I wasn't comparing anything to how it used to be since your post didn't mention the original attraction, just some of the issues with the current one. I was responding with the manner in which I hope they mitigate it by reworking Pecos Bill.

bmr1591

When you plan to retheme an area, you don't theme the new ride to the old area. You build the ride, then work on everything around it. It'll all fit soon.

Also, I'm looking forward to Tiana's at night. After seeing how World Celebration looks at night, if they've got all the foliage glowing like in the concept art, it's going to be a beautiful area.

TheMaxRebo

With this, I presume Pecos Bill stays. As others have said, we keep Frontierland and transition under the train station.

The upshot is the New Orleans look there could easily and effectively transition into a Shadowland expansion north of Big Thunder.

That would be kinda cool if they made that area on the other side of the tracks going upwards more New Orleans style and that is where Dr Facilier is, and he has come back from the other side and is transporting you to the shadow realm - a.k.a. Villains Land and that is how they do the transition

monothingie

Premium Member
With this, I presume Pecos Bill stays. As others have said, we keep Frontierland and transition under the train station.

The upshot is the New Orleans look there could easily and effectively transition into a Shadowland expansion north of Big Thunder.
Disney is/was good at transitions and melding theming when needed. Adventure/Frontier land is a hard transition that was thoughtfully considered and works very well.

Looking at the photos from the day, maybe they're going with the wooden old timey warehouse motif. I mean if the concept of the ride is a Tiana's Food Commune, mix of crates, iron, bricks, etc would work for the ride and visually blending in with the train station.

But you still have the "Frontier Land" front and center which just clashes terribly with something that is ornate and time period appropriate industrial. Never mind that the main "mountain" is very much not representative of the American south west yet, noticeably sandwiched between two deeply south western themed areas. Yes, Splash was also representative of the south, but great care was given to the exterior theming to not cause conflict. Here it seems like there is very little if any thought given based on what we can see right now.

JoeCamel

Disney is/was good at transitions and melding theming when needed. Adventure/Frontier land is a hard transition that was thoughtfully considered and works very well.

Looking at the photos from the day, maybe they're going with the wooden old timey warehouse motif. I mean if the concept of the ride is a Tiana's Food Commune, mix of crates, iron, bricks, etc would work for the ride and visually blending in with the train station.

But you still have the "Frontier Land" front and center which just clashes terribly with something that is ornate and time period appropriate industrial. Never mind that the main "mountain" is very much not representative of the American south west yet, noticeably sandwiched between two deeply south western themed areas. Yes, Splash was also representative of the south, but great care was given to the exterior theming to not cause conflict. Here it seems like there is very little if any thought given based on what we can see right now.
HM/Liberty Square to Fantasyland comes to mind as an abrupt transition

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom