News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Brer Panther

Yup Its because her magic is viewed as good while his is viewed as evil. Evil/ voodoo being associated with a black character for a ride that’s replacing “problematic” Splash Mountain is a No Go…. in their eyes. So they continue to sanitize and dumb down everything for the DEI department.
I think the actual reason why Facilier isn't in the ride is because they want to have it take place after the movie so people won't complain about the black princess being a frog for most of the ride. And that means no Facilier.

Honestly, though, if they had the ride take place after the movie and still had him appear with no explanation, I doubt anyone would complain.

I love how the clip is from the finale of Tokyo's version - the only one that's not being rethemed.

prberk

When you plan to retheme an area, you don't theme the new ride to the old area. You build the ride, then work on everything around it. It'll all fit soon.

Also, I'm looking forward to Tiana's at night. After seeing how World Celebration looks at night, if they've got all the foliage glowing like in the concept art, it's going to be a beautiful area.
As long as you saw it in the first few days. The in-ground lights at Epcot are already broken, as is the plumbing at Moana’s water walk-through.

LittleBuford

It’s still all kind of funny to me. You have this princess fairytale IP and this cutesy green flowery mountain where you go 50 feet down a thrilling drop. I’ll just state the obvious and say a purpose built PatF ride would never end up this way.
The Princess and the Frog had just as many scary moments and thrills as the animated sequences of Song of the South.

TheMaxRebo

The previous version of the ride was literally about a cartoon bunny.

The thrill elements of this attraction have always stood in some contrast with the show elements.

Kinda think that is part of what makes it work - sort of unassuming and fun theme, but then has these thrilling elements

And for the new version unless they fully enclose the big drop or something there is now way people won't understand there is a thrill element/it won't be thrilling

Tha Realest

I don't even mind complaining/defending the ride.

It's the conspiratorial nonsense and the bad faith summaries of what "they" (Disney, WDI, DEI Team, minorities, immigrants, political opponents, etc.) think, want, and are trying to accomplish that seep into every discussion.

It's great that we don't all see eye to eye on everything. We can disagree agreeably!

But when every thread devolves into one of those awkward, off-the-rails conversations with your grumpy uncle and super political sister-in-law, it makes you wonder if it's worth the trouble to participate at all.
The author of many of the Disney blog posts and the woman featured in the recent video clip for this attraction is Carmen Smith. She says she is the lead creative executive on Tiana. Her title is Senior Vice President and Executive Creative Development Product/Content and Inclusive Strategies for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products.

Here are some of her interviews in which she describes her focus on this attraction, and the need to change the one that preceded it.

Hope this clears things up!

MerlinTheGoat

The Princess and the Frog had just as many scary moments and thrills as the animated sequences of Song of the South.
It did indeed, but unfortunately they won't be present in the ride. I actually do think there was a way to make a Tiana ride into a thrilling one story wise. And I believe it was a mistake not to. But the point is that they didn't do that for whatever reason. The big drop seems like it lacks any purpose in the concept they went with. Which is a concern Tony Baxter brought up in that recent interview.

The previous version of the ride was literally about a cartoon bunny.

The thrill elements of this attraction have always stood in some contrast with the show elements.
The previous version of the ride had a very intimidating final lift sequence in terms of tone. The briar patch itself also made the drop even more intimidating. And on some level, even the silliness of Brer Fox following Brer Rabbit throughout the ride attempting to capture and eat him is both funny but also morbid. It serves as a buildup to that final lift and drop sequence. The ride was not all sunshine and roses, a tension existed in the back of your mind even during the scenes that were literal sunshine and roses.

mickEblu

If your issue is with how they’ve interpreted the IP rather than with the IP itself, you could have made that clear. I was simply responding to your post as you wrote it.

It was clear. You just decided to like pretend half of my post didn’t exist so your response would make sense.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

It did indeed, but unfortunately they won't be present in the ride. I actually do think there was a way to make a Tiana ride into a thrilling one story wise. And I believe it was a mistake not to. But the point is that they didn't do that for whatever reason. The big drop seems like it lacks any purpose in the concept they went with. Which is a concern Tony Baxter brought up in that recent interview.
Which is a different point from the one I was responding to.

I too would have welcomed a thrill element tied to Facilier, but I’m willing to see what they’re going to give us before judging it one way or the other.

yensidtlaw1969

The previous version of the ride had a very intimidating final lift sequence in terms of tone. The briar patch itself also made the drop even more intimidating. And on some level, even the silliness of Brer Fox following Brer Rabbit throughout the ride attempting to capture and eat him is both funny but also morbid. It serves as a buildup to that final lift and drop sequence. The ride was not all sunshine and roses, a tension existed in the back of your mind even during the scenes that were literal sunshine and roses.
So what you're saying is that sunshine and roses don't automatically preclude the riders feeling tense in anticipation of the thrilling 50 foot drop they know is coming?

Sounds like that could just as easily apply to Tiana's Bayou Adventure, which was my point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom