News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Dear Prudence

I think that's likely. On one hand, it needs to look "fake" (or let's say "stylized") so that the blur between real and animation can work. I hope it, in person, dances that line well. Splash did well (especially at WDW) because it was a giant, fully realized cartoon set. This is a different approach. That doesn't make it bad at all. It just takes different skills and goals to accomplish.
Disneyland did a very good job at creating a world that felt organic. It was less cartoonish (despite feeling closer to the original animation), and the colour palettes were more muted and less garish. I'm truly hoping the colors we saw in those preview images are just over saturated or weirdly filtered to make filming easier, because it just looks cheap.

I don't mind things that are stylized. The stage version of LION KING and the wolves in Frozen are really good examples of stylized choices that just *work*. A lot of the materials used for the LION KING costumes and puppets are things like foam and turkey feathers. The difference is that they don't look cheap.

_caleb

Because I like polls. And we've seen some previews, heard from some people in the know (and not in the know), so I'm curious what the general feeling is around here. You don't have to vote in it, but don't begrudge me my hobby.
Not begrudging, just curious!

Asking people why they think what they think and do what they do is my hobby!

Epcot82Guy

Disneyland did a very good job at creating a world that felt organic. It was less cartoonish (despite feeling closer to the original animation), and the colour palettes were more muted and less garish. I'm truly hoping the colors we saw in those preview images are just over saturated or weirdly filtered to make filming easier, because it just looks cheap.

Very true. It wasn't my personal taste, but there's no doubt it worked in the way you describe at DL. This whole project looks like it was designed for DL to me (and then ported to MK). So, there is some decent chance of your hope coming true. I guess we'll know eventually.

GoneForGood

I did some sleuthing. This scene with the shack comes right after where Brer Frog used to sit on Brer Gator. The tree with the knothole is where his tail used to hang/hid speaker (I think). I put together some...kind of shabby side-by-side images. I will do my best to explain.

You can see the hole and shape of the larger tree on the left is the same. The line in the tree us also a match.
frog scene 1.png

I found this by watching videos and looking at blueprints of the OG. This one is self explanatory.
frog scene 2.png

This one is a little harder to tell. But the chimney of the tree house was removed, making the indent on the tree. The shape of the tree is also similar.
frog scene 3.png

MerlinTheGoat

If that is the same location and tree, it's interesting because it looks like the background space is much larger than before. In Splash, the wall there was really close to the flume. To the extent where they only had critter homes in the foreground and a small bird AA. It was a pretty compact space. But in Tiana, that space appears like it's larger and the wall is much farther back. Like they knocked a wall out and expanded it or something (though I don't know if they had the means to do so as i'm unaware of what is on the other side of the wall).

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
If that is the same location and tree, it's interesting because it looks like the background space is much larger than before. In Splash, the wall there was really close to the flume. To the extent where they only had critter homes in the foreground and a small bird AA. It was a pretty compact space. But in Tiana, that space appears like it's larger and the wall is much farther back. Like they knocked a wall out and expanded it or something (though I don't know if they had the means to do so as i'm unaware of what is on the other side of the wall).
It's the same wall from Splash, albiet repainted. Also I assume the person filming is standing on the bank and not actually in the flume so it'll look a little different.

Dear Prudence

Very true. It wasn't my personal taste, but there's no doubt it worked in the way you describe at DL. This whole project looks like it was designed for DL to me (and then ported to MK). So, there is some decent chance of your hope coming true. I guess we'll know eventually.
I'll be honest, I actually never liked the aesthetic of the WDW or Tokyo Splash compared to DLR. ๐Ÿ™ˆ for the same reasons, it just looked...TOO cartoony for my tastes.

Interestingly enough, I feel like what you're saying kind of confirms the rumor that it was originally only supposed to be Disneyland and not WDW.

MerlinTheGoat

It's the same wall from Splash, albiet repainted. Also I assume the person filming is standing on the bank and not actually in the flume so it'll look a little different.
I know the wall itself looks different with different paint. My question is why it also appears like it's physically farther away now. Forced perspective only goes so far in these situations. This was always an extremely short space in Splash. Just a few feet between the wall and the flume. But here, the wall looks significantly further away, it looks like there's more space on the grassy shoreline and the shack also looks like it's a considerable distance from the flume. Again even with forced perspective trickery.

Which is why I wondered if this was either a different location, or if they tore the old wall out and moved it further back. If it wasn't for the tree matching up, I would have assumed this was from an earlier scene that had more space (like one of the spaces with Brer Rabbit's house on the right side).

mickEblu

I know the wall itself looks different with different paint. My question is why it also appears like it's physically farther away now. Forced perspective only goes so far in these situations. This was always an extremely short space in Splash. Just a few feet between the wall and the flume. But here, the wall looks significantly further away, it looks like there's more space on the grassy shoreline and the shack also looks like it's a considerable distance from the flume. Again even with forced perspective trickery.

Which is why I wondered if this was either a different location, or if they tore the old wall out and moved it further back. If it wasn't for the tree matching up, I would have assumed this was from an earlier scene that had more space (like one of the spaces with Brer Rabbit's house on the right side).

Maybe becasue with Splash there is much more going on in the foreground with everything getting taller towards the back of the room. As opposed to one tree in the foreground, grass and then the one shack in the back with PatF. The dark paint/ lighting also could make the room seem bigger

Brer Oswald

If you look at it close enough and compare everything relative to the tree, it doesnโ€™t look to be any deeper of a set than what was there previously. The photo is being taken from a different perspective than what the guests see from a log; itโ€™s take from eye level of a person standing up, either on the other bank of the River, or the (likely) boarded up trough.

Based on this image, it appears to be what a lot of us expected. Existing backdrops and trees painted over. Rockwork and props plastered over/built up over the existing concrete formations.

Given that the core cast of animatronics have been rumoured to be โ€œstate of the artโ€ A1000s, we can assume that is where a solid percentage of the budget was allocated. Theyโ€™ve also allegedly been producing those figures before Splash even closed. With all of this said, I would not be shocked to see this ready by summer of 2024. They probably want it ready by then, and it certainly seems achievable. The Disneyland version is the one that has the late 2024 opening, and based on progress there, I canโ€™t imagine it will open any sooner.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
Also, if you look closely at the rockwork behind the Imagineers, the shape lines up pretty much exactly with the clump of houses/rockwork that Br'er Roadrunner used to stand on:
Screenshot 2023-12-18 143119.png
Screenshot 2023-12-18 143142.png

Also, if you look closely at the rockwork behind the Imagineers, the shape lines up pretty much exactly with the clump of houses/rockwork that Br'er Roadrunner used to stand on:
View attachment 759358View attachment 759359
Can we get an enhance on that tablet screen? It almost looks like he's looking at a map of Epcot and pointing to the Wonders of Life pavilion.

yensidtlaw1969

Yeah so great that even Tony Baxter, lending his name as a symbolic participant in the design, gave up on it.

There were even credible reports that some of the imagineers working on this took glee in destruction of set pieces from Splash, so I wonโ€™t share the same optimism that you have about the creatives on this.
Choosing to believe a report doesn't make it credible.

Dan Deesnee

Gasp! The plants on the outside of Splash were fake???

My point was that the new plants look piled on top of each other and very fake. Overall the exterior, as of now, looks terrible.

Might get better in the end, though, I have my doubts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom