News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

SpectroMan93

Hopefully they won't go with the queue wall they have planned. It looks like it was done for a YMCA and has nothing to do with Princess and the Frog.

Plus 4 years old could have fingerpainted a better mural. Where'd they dig up this no talent? What??? No 4 year olds were available???
There’s voicing discontent and then there’s just complete disrespect and ignorance. The artist’s name is Malaika Favorite. She has her work displayed in several art galleries throughout the country and this specific style is widely seen throughout New Orleans.

Disliking the mural is your prerogative, but calling her a no talent is absolutely classless.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is kind of where I stand. It’s the Imagineers themselves who (regrettably, in my opinion) invited us to view the retheme through the lens of “authenticity”.
I agree.

After their fact-finding missions and reports, they should have added, "...and we're blending many of these real-world details into the magical world that was presented to us in Princess and the Frog."

LittleBuford

I agree.

After their fact-finding missions and reports, they should have added, "...and we're blending many of these real-world details into the magical world that was presented to us in Princess and the Frog."
Visiting New Orleans was one thing, but why they felt compelled to find an actual Louisianan hill to justify the ride’s height is beyond me.

ToTBellHop

Really like how the exterior is coming along.

Perhaps that July/August 2024 aspirational goal I mentioned will actually come to pass? In any event, I would expect them to announce summer or fall soon after the New Year. It would be really nice to have this open for some of the summer heat.

MerlinTheGoat

Really like how the exterior is coming along.

Perhaps that July/August 2024 aspirational goal I mentioned will actually come to pass? In any event, I would expect them to announce summer or fall soon after the New Year. It would be really nice to have this open for some of the summer heat.
Seems like we were both told similar information. The most aggressive and aspirational target I was told was also in the July/August ballpark. Though this was quite some while ago now and getting approval to expedite the timeline also seemed contingent on other things. Specifically approval for projects the had for Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom. Approval that I have to assume did not go through given what we saw at D23. There were still earlier but less extreme dates as well, like September-October. Either way, given that they took out the "late" portion of the 2024 date, that may be evidence that SOME sort of abbreviated construction period was approved.

If they can get the ride open much earlier without compromising quality, then they should do so. Capacity is desperately needed at the park and it's also just stupid to target an end of year opening for a wet ride. Even Florida still gets quite cold in December. Cold enough that a lot of people wouldn't want to subject themselves (or their kids) to being potentially soaked.

Don't take this as being close to an actual opening date, but I expect they will probably be cycling the water and boats sooner than expected while it's still in a very incomplete state. I don't know how much of the interior they have done at the moment, if they've even begun. But I do know they already have a lot of the animatronics already done and much of the greenery purchased (with some very amusing info about the greenery in particular).

ToTBellHop

Seems like we were both told similar information. The most aggressive and aspirational target I was told was also in the July/August ballpark. Though this was quite some while ago now and getting approval to expedite the timeline also seemed contingent on other things. Specifically approval for projects the had for Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom. Approval that I have to assume did not go through given what we saw at D23. There were still earlier but less extreme dates as well, like September-October. Either way, given that they took out the "late" portion of the 2024 date, that may be evidence that SOME sort of abbreviated construction period was approved.

If they can get the ride open much earlier without compromising quality, then they should do so. Capacity is desperately needed at the park and it's also just stupid to target an end of year opening for a wet ride. Even Florida still gets quite cold in December. Cold enough that a lot of people wouldn't want to subject themselves (or their kids) to being potentially soaked.

Don't take this as being close to an actual opening date, but I expect they will probably be cycling the water and boats sooner than expected while it's still in a very incomplete state. I don't know how much of the interior they have done at the moment, if they've even begun. But I do know they already have a lot of the animatronics already done and much of the greenery purchased (with some very amusing info about the greenery in particular).
Work has certainly begun on the interior but I don’t know how far along it is, either. They’ve been pretty tight-lipped on this. I also don’t understand how DL’s closed 4 months later and will still finish before next Christmas, but I haven’t really followed the conversion there. Maybe it needs less ride-system work.

I was obviously surprised at the lack of progress on DAK/MK headed into Destination D23 but it sounds like Bob has pushed everything back significantly. What will they talk about at D23 next year? More “ideas”?

MerlinTheGoat

Work has certainly begun on the interior but I don’t know how far along it is, either. They’ve been pretty tight-lipped on this. I also don’t understand how DL’s closed 4 months later and will still finish before next Christmas, but I haven’t really followed the conversion there. Maybe it needs less ride-system work.

I was obviously surprised at the lack of progress on DAK/MK headed into Destination D23 but it sounds like Bob has pushed everything back significantly. What will they talk about at D23 next year? More “ideas”?
I don't know much about the state of Disneyland's version, but it may indeed be the case that it needs less work. Prior to its closure, they actually did some maintenance on DL's. At least the animatronics and lighting. Ride system wise i'm less sure about. The MK attraction was in much worse shape when it closed, and the ride system is completely different and a lot more complex (though it did receive a substantial rehab back in 2013). I think MK's is actually classified as something closer to a roller coaster, whereas DL's is more of a traditional log flume.

I do know that DL's version of this Tiana ride is the original vision. MK is a very different layout and had to be adapted after the fact. And perhaps some of those adaptations were a reason why it needed to be closed earlier and perhaps require some additional time. DL's also already takes place in a swampy environment, so perhaps some scenery elements will remain. No clue.

I don't know what Disney was thinking with that wishy washy D23 presentation. The thing is that they ARE allegedly very worried about Epic Universe and are aware that they need to stop behaving like deer in headlights and actually push ambitious new projects. And yet they still don't have any plans for dealing with it. With the DAK/MK plans being just as non-committal as ever, it's clear nothing has been approved and will probably continue to change several more times for several more years before they decide on anything. Or just cancel everything outright. Either way, at this rate Epic will be open long before Disney even breaks ground on anything and is very much expected to substantially tear into at least the non-castle parks...

splah

There must be some kind of portal/threshold to the magical world of talking animals. do we think the scenery will also change to take us from the stark reality outside into a world where animals talk and play instruments. As the ride become more fantasy will the surrounding become more stylized/hand-drawn (highly stylized flowers in splash) look to contrast with the "reality" outside. it seems like if you keep an intense reality next to animals with cartoon characteristics that could be jarring.

yensidtlaw1969

Exactly. I find it extremely insulting to the early imagineers to act like details and realism don’t matter at the DL / MK parks.
Who's doing that here though?

Weren't you the one who insisted Water Towers in swampy areas made no sense, only to be shown there's actually a widespread historical precedent for them?

Installing a Water Tower in front of what is meant to be a Salt Mine doesn't even crack the top 10 most egregious assaults on "details and realism" in the western half of MK alone. Placing The Magic Carpets of Aladdin in the Adventureland Plaza is high treason compared to this.

yensidtlaw1969

There must be some kind of portal/threshold to the magical world of talking animals. do we think the scenery will also change to take us from the stark reality outside into a world where animals talk and play instruments. As the ride become more fantasy will the surrounding become more stylized/hand-drawn (highly stylized flowers in splash) look to contrast with the "reality" outside. it seems like if you keep an intense reality next to animals with cartoon characteristics that could be jarring.
I can't think of any reason why this ride would need any more of a portal or threshold than Splash Mountain had.

Epcot81Fan

You have already spent more time thinking about the logic of this attraction than the entire team working on it.

Now, please take your co-op made beignet out of the salt mine crate as you exit.

bmr1591

They may also just be pushing more money into the work at DL to speed up the process. I’m certain WDW would have loved to close Splash at the close of the 50th, but construction contracts and dates have to work out. It was probably cheapest and best for their team to start in January instead of September 2022 or April 2023. For DL, May 2023 put them in their best price and construction efficiency. Just a guess.

Vegas Disney Fan

I also don’t understand how DL’s closed 4 months later and will still finish before next Christmas, but I haven’t really followed the conversion there. Maybe it needs less ride-system work.
From the outside DLs ride looks several months behind still, they’re still enclosing the tree area, no water tower, no paint, no moss, no mural… I’m not sure if the Christmas date meant both rides because we’re way behind MKs progress on the outside still.

Your easier interior theory may be correct but from the outside I’m doubtful.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
From the outside DLs ride looks several months behind still, they’re still enclosing the tree area, no water tower, no paint, no moss, no mural… I’m not sure if the Christmas date meant both rides because we’re way behind MKs progress on the outside still.

Your easier interior theory may be correct but from the outside I’m doubtful.
773282-featured.jpg

It seems, at least off the model at D23, that they won't be repainting/rebuilding as much of the rockwork on the mountain as they had to at WDW, since Splash was a redder shade to match Big Thunder next door

mickEblu

I don't know much about the state of Disneyland's version, but it may indeed be the case that it needs less work. Prior to its closure, they actually did some maintenance on DL's. At least the animatronics and lighting. Ride system wise i'm less sure about. The MK attraction was in much worse shape when it closed, and the ride system is completely different and a lot more complex (though it did receive a substantial rehab back in 2013). I think MK's is actually classified as something closer to a roller coaster, whereas DL's is more of a traditional log flume.

I do know that DL's version of this Tiana ride is the original vision. MK is a very different layout and had to be adapted after the fact. And perhaps some of those adaptations were a reason why it needed to be closed earlier and perhaps require some additional time. DL's also already takes place in a swampy environment, so perhaps some scenery elements will remain. No clue.

I don't know what Disney was thinking with that wishy washy D23 presentation. The thing is that they ARE allegedly very worried about Epic Universe and are aware that they need to stop behaving like deer in headlights and actually push ambitious new projects. And yet they still don't have any plans for dealing with it. With the DAK/MK plans being just as non-committal as ever, it's clear nothing has been approved and will probably continue to change several more times for several more years before they decide on anything. Or just cancel everything outright. Either way, at this rate Epic will be open long before Disney even breaks ground on anything and is very much expected to substantially tear into at least the non-castle parks...

Will Epic Universe’s impact on WDW be as big a deal as people as making it or will it at worst take one extra day away from the mouse from people who are already on Disney World trips? I suspect that Disneys contingency plan is to just make WDW trips more affordable after Epic Universe opens up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom