News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Agreed. “The Hollywood that never was and always will be”

I still think a tiara on a water tower, in a swamp, in front of a salt mound is a strange design choice.
I wouldn't argue with anyone calling the Tiara strange.

But we've seen people try to claim the water tower itself doesn't fit. <roll eyes>

I get people are angry over reasons. But there's no need to create made-up stuff to justify the anger. Just own the anger for what it is. People can feel what they feel. Criticisms or applause for the elements we can see can happen in a calm, measured way. Anachronistically stylized posters don't require setting everything on fire.

The Tiara is a portent of what's to come: Singing animal friends of a princess who spent some time as a frog. I would expect some spill over from the fantasy inside the ride into the hyperreality outside.

There is an actual above-ground salt dome along the Louisiana Gulf Coast that's about twice as tall as this ride-building. Sure, it's not adjacent to NOLA, but this is hyperreality in which such distances are waved away because it's not actual reality that's being attempted to be re-created.

Of course, attempting hyperreality can strain credulity at times if one tries to present it as actual reality (which it isn't) or go too far into the fantastical that it looses any connection with the reality.

TrainsOfDisney

But we've seen people try to claim the water tower itself doesn't fit. <roll eyes>
That was me, I don’t think it fits in a swamp in front of a salt dome, it could potentially fit, along with the modern murals at the co-op.

I’ve googled and googled and tried to find photos of an actual salt mound in Louisiana - I see references to them but yet to see photos. One day! Haha.

“Tiana’s Salt Mound Splash” should be the new title haha

Casper Gutman

I wouldn't argue with anyone calling the Tiara strange.

I get people are angry over reasons. But there's no need to create made-up stuff to justify the anger. Just own the anger for what it is. People can feel what they feel. Criticisms or applause for the elements we can see can happen in a calm, measured way. Anachronistically stylized posters don't require setting everything on fire.

The Tiara is a portent of what's to come: Singing animal friends of a princess who spent some time as a frog. I would expect some spill over from the fantasy inside the ride into the hyperreality outside.

There is an actual above-ground salt dome along the Louisiana Gulf Coast that's about twice as tall as this ride-building. Sure, it's not adjacent to NOLA, but this is hyperreality in which such distances are waved away because it's not actual reality that's being attempted to be re-created.

Of course, attempting hyperreality can strain credulity at times if one tries to present it as actual reality (which it isn't) or go too far into the fantastical that it looses any connection with the reality.
You’re missing the point of hyperreality. Yes, there’s a salt dome in Louisiana, but no one’s idea of Louisiana involves mountains or even hills. It’s bayous, New Orleans, etc. If your response to someone saying, “This mountain doesn’t feel like New Orleans,” is “Well, TECHNICALLY…” you’ve already lost. The point is to evoke a time and place, not pick outlying elements and try to legitimize them through pedantry.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I’ve googled and googled and tried to find photos of an actual salt mound in Louisiana - I see references to them but yet to see photos. One day! Haha.
Gothya covered here:

TrainsOfDisney

Gothya covered here:

That’s a diagram of an underground salt dome that formed an island and lake. The photos of the salt mine in operation show a traditional mine shaft, which led the salt miners to the underground mine.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
You’re missing the point of hyperreality. Yes, there’s a salt dome in Louisiana, but no one’s idea of Louisiana involves mountains or even hills. It’s bayous, New Orleans, etc. If your response to someone saying, “This mountain doesn’t feel like New Orleans,” is “Well, TECHNICALLY…” you’ve already lost. The point is to evoke a time and place, not pick outlying elements and try to legitimize them through pedantry.

So, you're saying, "Well, TECHNICALLY, there's no 50 foot mounds anywhere near New Orleans."

Because the general public has toured the greater bayou area around NOLA and have concluded there couldn't possibly be a salt dome nearby?

I've visited central LA. Drove to NOLA. Did the touristy things. And if someone told me there were several 50-100 foot salt domes out there in the greater bayou, I would've said, "OK."

NOLA itself doesn't have to be known as the flattest place on earth for a hundred miles in order to make such a mound unbelievable.

Especially in the world where magic exists. Not our universe.

Maybe those thoroughly familiar with the extended bayous of NOLA would scoff at the idea of such a mound existing. As someone who grew up on the Jersey Shore, I certainly scoff that the boardwalk at BWI is an Atlantic boardwalk.

LittleBuford

I personally didn’t need the mountain to have a real-world referent. Who cares if Louisiana doesn’t have hills?

RSoxNo1

Not me, the way it ruined the skyline and theming of DCA is really bad and I don’t care for the attraction at all. It doesn’t make sense, and feels like a universal ride.

They did do a pretty good job with the que and pre show though.

While I regret the loss of maelstrom, at least it didn’t effect the overall pavilion, although for the money they spent on that meet and greet they could have built a new frozen attraction there and just refreshed maelstrom to have a little frozen nod.
Tower of Terror also stuck out like a sore thumb post Cars Land addition.

TrainsOfDisney

Read the article. It's twice as tall as Splash ""Mountain.""

Jefferson Island has a bigger and sharper drop now that the lake is gone.
Are there photos of this?
Tower of Terror also stuck out like a sore thumb post Cars Land addition.
I disagree, it fit the theme of the park and all areas quite well except maybe bugs land, can’t remember if it was visible there or not, I don’t remember it, but wouldn’t go through there a lot.

Casper Gutman

So, you're saying, "Well, TECHNICALLY, there's no 50 foot mounds anywhere near New Orleans."

Because the general public has toured the greater bayou area around NOLA and have concluded there couldn't possibly be a salt dome nearby?

I've visited central LA. Drove to NOLA. Did the touristy things. And if someone told me there were several 50-100 foot salt domes out there in the greater bayou, I would've said, "OK."

NOLA itself doesn't have to be known as the flattest place on earth for a hundred miles in order to make such a mound unbelievable.

Especially in the world where magic exists. Not our universe.

Maybe those thoroughly familiar with the extended bayous of NOLA would scoff at the idea of such a mound existing. As someone who grew up on the Jersey Shore, I certainly scoff that the boardwalk at BWI is an Atlantic boardwalk.
Reality isn’t the issue! The shared imaginary is the issue!

When you ask someone to think of Iowa, most are going to think of a certain range of images (corn will be involved). If you ask them to think of France, they’re likely to think of something that looks like the World Showcase pavilion. If you ask them to think of a typical American Main Street…

“The Hollywood that never was and always will be.”

Now, Buford’s right - in isolation the Hill isn’t a big deal. Where it becomes a problem is when every single design choice associated with the attraction fails to evoke what it’s meant to evoke. It also becomes an issue when you justify it with reality and make it fundamental to your rides story, making guests THINK about it instead of just suspending disbelief.

LittleBuford

Now, Buford’s right - in isolation the Hill isn’t a big deal. Where it becomes a problem is when every single design choice associated with the attraction fails to evoke what it’s meant to evoke. It also becomes an issue when you justify it with reality and make it fundamental to your rides story, making guests THINK about it instead of just suspending disbelief.
This is kind of where I stand. It’s the Imagineers themselves who (regrettably, in my opinion) invited us to view the retheme through the lens of “authenticity”.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom