News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Cliff

A restaurant . . . is a business . . . that she wants to open . . .

This is a hair that doesn't need splitting. It's plenty reasonable that Tiana, who starts the movie as a little girl cooking gumbo she shares with her whole community, would open her restaurant and expand its success into a larger enterprise that also both includes and benefits her community.
I think Disney could make her business a co-op that is a true non-profit entity. This way she could charge only a very low amount to offer an AFFORDABLE food menu to the community. The other employee owners would take a salary that only meets their needs and donate the rest of their time to their community. My kids would LOVE this.

An attraction like that would really make it a social teaching moment for the next generation!. This would be an example of Disney doing some great positive social activism.

Do it Disney...this is a great oppertunity for you shine and make a difference with this attraction.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

cool so we are complaining the theming is too nice for the ride gotcha.

of course the ride could be longer but we knew from the start it was a kiddie coaster we knew the layout and everything so i dont get why the surprise in ride length when we knew what it was gonna be from the beginning. the theming is amazing and makes the land much more immersive and encompasing on both sides of the harbour but i guess if they had left the coaster more bare bones like hippogriff or barnstormer some of you would prefer that...not me.
Is that what we're doing? I thought we were having a thoughtful discussion.

Maybe we knew the ride wouldn't be longer - but will the average rider know that? Like I said, this wouldn't be the first time Disney built a ride that looks more impressive than the experience is intended to be.

Guest satisfaction is one of the major intended goals of themed entertainment. I can and do appreciate a pretty building and great theming, but to complete the hat trick there needs to be follow-through. A ride that is not as good as it looks is liable to disappoint. That's less a complaint and more an observation.

Vegas Disney Fan

Is that what we're doing? I thought we were having a thoughtful discussion.

Maybe we knew the ride wouldn't be longer - but will the average rider know that? Like I said, this wouldn't be the first time Disney built a ride that looks more impressive than the experience is intended to be.

Guest satisfaction is one of the major intended goals of themed entertainment. I can and do appreciate a pretty building and great theming, but to complete the hat trick there needs to be follow-through. A ride that is not as good as it looks is liable to disappoint. That's less a complaint and more an observation.

I follow Disney very closely and had no idea it would be this short, I’ve looked at the renderings dozens of times over the years and given the exterior similarities thought it was going to be a clone of 7DMT track with a different theme. (To be honest I’m shocked it’s not a clone because Disney loves doing that to save money, guess they saved more by making it so short.)

I also find it odd J came to the conclusion we’re upset about the amazing theming, giving the choice of: we’re upset about the short ride or we’re upset about the amazing theming I’m not sure why anyone would think we’re upset about the theming. The outside and queue is spectacular, it’s a shame the ride doesn’t live up to it.

Dear Prudence

I don't mind a lot of details or elaborate backstory. When Indiana Jones Adventure opened, thet even gave out little cards for you to translate the different inscriptions throughout the queue. Had Galaxy's Edge been less of a giant themed shopping mall it had a lot of great lore potential.

I do mind being piled with a lot of details that don't add up. It's like they couldn't say no to one person's idea so said yes to all of them. It all sounds....messy.

splah

imagineering of late suffers from a lack of strong "show don't tell" abilities

wouldn't a stronger narrative for a ride be that we're in the bayou ourselves then just happen upon tiana who THEN invites us along on her adventure in progress to help her find the missing ingredient

vs

we're touring a factory then tianna demands we get in a log to travel the bayou, not even a boat.

with the former, you could just have a nice bayou/swamp outdoor setting and drop all salt domes, water towers, and factories that are (supposedly) necessary backstory. tiana could still have all that, and be queen of the vertically integrated conglomerate, with details hinted at in the queue or after the ride, but it's not fundamental motivation of the ride. it also frees you up to explore the more magical aspects of the PatF world. by starting the riding at a water tower you are firmly setting the experience in the "real world" which will be thematically at odds with the magic we're surely going to witness.

heck the rides events could even end up outside her headquarters (gift shop), but don't start the ride there

Last edited:

Dear Prudence

I wonder if a lot of these holds are riding on the TV show. Maybe there's going to be a bunch of plot tie ins and since that's still in production, they can't talk about certain things.

Buried20KLeague

Guys in my opinion will open the attraction for the beginning of summer 2024, I will go in mid-late July and hope to find it open. It seems to me that the works are well under way, in my opinion it would be illogical to open it after the summer which is the season with the most turnout at the parks. What do you think?

That would mean Disney is way AHEAD of schedule on a new attraction.

I’m guessing you will have more of a chance to meet Walt himself walking down Main Street. :)

_caleb

imagineering of late suffers from a lack of strong "show don't tell" abilities

wouldn't a stronger narrative for a ride be that we're in the bayou ourselves then just happen upon tiana who THEN invites us along on her adventure in progress to help her find the missing ingredient
What makes you think this isn’t the narrative for the ride?
vs

we're touring a factory then tianna demands we get in a log to travel the bayou, not even a boat.
What makes you think this is the narrative of the ride?

with the former, you could just have a nice bayou/swamp outdoor setting and drop all salt domes, water towers, and factories that are (supposedly) necessary backstory. tiana could still have all that, and be queen of the vertically integrated conglomerate, with details hinted at in the queue or after the ride, but it's not fundamental motivation of the ride. it also frees you up to explore the more magical aspects of the PatF world. by starting the riding at a water tower you are firmly setting the experience in the "real world" which will be thematically at odds with the magic we're surely going to witness.
What makes you think they’re not doing this?

neo999955

In the Parks
No
I do think some people really need to take a breath and wait for more info.

Obviously, everyone here wants way more detail on the actual ride itself, but all we've had is light marketing highlighting culture and what Tiana has been up to since the end of the movie.

As has been repeated, it's important to remember backstories are essential for building amazing rides so imagineers aren't aimless, but the ride itself we know very little about. We know it's going to be a Bayou Adventure starring animals and whimsical fun. Most people never know the backstory heading into a ride, and there's truly no reason to assume they need to here. I'm sure it'll be featured in the queue.

I personally am very happy to see rich culture and inclusive imagineering take the forefront. Splash is gone, that's done. Taking the time and care to try and create an experience that is rich in the black culture of New Orleans is a very commendable action and it will have an impact on tons of kids and adults who end up riding TBA.

Actual ride details will come and it may disappoint, but we genuinely don't know. The effort shown, the hints from insiders and the promise of dozens of animatronics leaves me quite optimistic though.

Last edited by a moderator:

_caleb

Seems like we should be able to have a conversation without all the snark.

I'm really intrigued by the external changes to the mountain (I know, we're not supposed to call it that anymore). Obviously they've put a new, treeless top on it, but there have been a few spots along the outside portion of the flume where they've cut into the rock work. I'm sure most of this is so they could get in and check/repair the structure of the building itself, but I'm wondering if they're going to make any additions to the outside.

splah

What makes you think this isn’t the narrative for the ride?

What makes you think this is the narrative of the ride?

What makes you think they’re not doing this?
answer to all - because we start our journey at the water tower that says tiana's foods. and have this gobbledygook of a sign saying we're at their corporate location

Cliff

One would hope so.
Ok...where were me? Oh....yeah, Tiana.

For those that don't know. There were two types of logs for Tony Baxter's excellent Splash Mountain ride. Disneyland used a single stack log and and WDW logs were double stacked (side by side seating)

Personally, I liked the WDW side by side seating so you could sit next to your partner. Does anybody know if Disney will take the oppertunity to change the logs in Disneyland to be double seating?

Which seating type is best for TBA?

Bocabear

My issue is the creation of a new backstory that has nothing to do with an already excellent film, characters, and song selection.
That is my issue exactly... I liked the film and characters... I don't need a whole new story into a character that (could have) evolved after story we love... Just like other classic Disney film characters...I don't need a sequel to know what happened afterwards...The idea of being in the bayou and having Dr Facilier send you over the water to the "Other Side" or escaping the "Other Side" over a waterfall sounds like an amazing attraction to me... Ending at Tiana's Palace is great too...but all this gobbledygook they have created does not make sense to me...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom