News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

J4546

Are the imagineers bad or are the budget constraints forcing bad imagineering?

The new coaster in Hong Kong being a great example, it has incredible theming that rivals anything previous Imagineers have given us but the length of the ride is comical. Was that an imagineering failure or a budget failure?

Hopefully TBA will be given a budget that allows imagineering to shine, time will tell.
the new coaster in HK is a junior coaster like hippogriff/gadgets/woddywoodpecker......I dont get why people thought it would be longer, it was never gonna be longer, its been known since its construction it was gonna be a short junior coaster and people are acting like thats a surprise. Its beautifuly themed and people are mad about that? If they had left it barbones themed like hippogriff or little mermaid coaster would that be better?

Bocabear

the new coaster in HK is a junior coaster like hippogriff/gadgets/woddywoodpecker......I dont get why people thought it would be longer, it was never gonna be longer. Its beautifuly themed and people are mad about that? If they had left it barbones themed like hippogriff or little mermaid coaster would that be better?
yeah but a coaster that clocks in at under a minute ride is pretty darn short...It is not like no one ever thought a new coaster in a beautifully themed new land would be that short...people would expect a side of substance with their beautiful set dressing...

Vegas Disney Fan

yeah but a coaster that clocks in at under a minute ride is pretty darn short...It is not like no one ever thought a new coaster in a beautifully themed new land would be that short...people would expect a side of substance with their beautiful set dressing...
I was at least expecting 7DMT length, which is itself too short.

This isn’t a Gadgets style coaster designed primarily for kids, it’s one of the signature attractions in one of the signature lands of the park. Everyone who goes to the park is going to ride this, just like 7DMT, making it this short was a horrible decision.

Sir_Cliff

Are the imagineers bad or are the budget constraints forcing bad imagineering?

The new coaster in Hong Kong being a great example, it has incredible theming that rivals anything previous Imagineers have given us but the length of the ride is comical. Was that an imagineering failure or a budget failure?

Hopefully TBA will be given a budget that allows imagineering to shine, time will tell.
I don't know the answer to that first question, but I will say that their budgets don't seem very constrained to the point where I'm not sure giving Imagineering even more money to play with on new attractions is the solution to anything.

yensidtlaw1969

the new coaster in HK is a junior coaster like hippogriff/gadgets/woddywoodpecker......I dont get why people thought it would be longer, it was never gonna be longer, its been known since its construction it was gonna be a short junior coaster and people are acting like thats a surprise. Its beautifuly themed and people are mad about that? If they had left it barbones themed like hippogriff or little mermaid coaster would that be better?
It's an odd circumstance - on one hand it's easy to praise that Wandering Oaken's Sliding Sleighs is themed to the nines and far outshines its peers like The Barnstormer. On the other hand, the exterior of the attraction presents on a level far more impressive than the ride experience ever intends to offer. At least The Barnstormer tells you upfront exactly what it is, so you can set your expectations accordingly.

In an ideal world you'd think an attraction would surprise only pleasantly - Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland is an incredible example of the facade underselling and the ride overdelivering. That formula is much more likely to satisfy guests than overpromising and underdelivering, which is likely closer to what will happen at Oakens. You can't tell from looking at it that the ride is gonna be shorter than a Tiktok, and if you don't know that already it's lousy to find out after you've waited for it. Mermaid has the same problem where the exterior suggests a more impressive ride than it was ever designed to contain.

I appreciate the renewed efforts at lavish theming - especially because not every ride gets that. But it's a misstep to have rides that are more impressive to look at than they are to experience. A less impressive sledding hill with twice as much ride track would no doubt make guests happier.

yensidtlaw1969

I don't know the answer to that first question, but I will say that their budgets don't seem very constrained to the point where I'm not sure giving Imagineering even more money to play with on new attractions is the solution to anything.
I'll agree with that - not every team seems to have this issue, Pandora and Galaxy's Edge both make a pretty good show of their money. They didn't spend it in *all* the right places, but you don't doubt for a second that they spent it. Meanwhile Toy Story Land and New Fantasyland both underwhelm relative to their costs and in many places look cheaper than they were.

Cosmic Rewind to me is unforgivable in this regard. The single most expensive attraction in the resort (and possibly the world??) and I could not TELL you were the money went. It was a full "Emperor Has No Clothes" moment for me. It's fun, but not $450 MILLION Dollar's worth. It's an empty warehouse with a bare track, some projections, and a spinning ride base. Nothing in, on, or around that building should logically amount to that sort of sum. If that team couldn't make that kind of money really work for them then more of it wasn't going to move the needle.

erasure fan1

Cosmic Rewind to me is unforgivable in this regard. The single most expensive attraction in the resort (and possibly the world??) and I could not TELL you were the money went. It was a full "Emperor Has No Clothes" moment for me. It's fun, but not $450 MILLION Dollar's worth. It's an empty warehouse with a bare track, some projections, and a spinning ride base. Nothing in, on, or around that building should logically amount to that sort of sum.
100% agree with this. The ride was fun for sure. But that cost is astronomical for what we got. They could have put in two E-tickets for that cost and actually added to capacity.

TP2000

He pretty clearly plays a trumpet, not sure what the confusion could be

View attachment 749311

Well, now that different image is clearly a trumpet.

I think in Ms. Favorite's stylized modern mural with far more fluidity to it, somehow my brain got "saxophone" after being imprinted by giant plywood saxophones watching the Mark Twain riverboat show several times 14 years ago. I really loved that riverboat show they did for Princess & The Frog! It was incredibly infectious fun and one of the more fabulous things to come out of the theme park entertainment department in the 21st century.

Louis is an alligator who plays a trumpet. I got it this time! :banghead:

Tha Realest

Is it really that short? That’s depressing.

Probably makes it easier for them to port and clone as a Matterhorn replacement

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Not really. Most of them are predictable cries of “A child could have painted that”, which is about the laziest form of criticism possible.
Can't I just think it's ugly without needing to say why? Not everything needs to be a graduate-level art thesis. This is mass-market entertainment and "I think it looks bad" is as deep as it needs to get.

Vegas Disney Fan

Is it really that short? That’s depressing.

Probably makes it easier for them to port and clone as a Matterhorn replacement
It’s essentially a roller skater kiddie coaster but it looks like this from the outside…

IMG_0332.jpeg

a B ticket that looks like an E ticket. The queues are spectacular too, it’s just the ride itself that is disappointing.

yensidtlaw1969

No. She wants to open a restaurant. Those are two different things. Tiana is Remy, not Skinner.

View attachment 749409
A restaurant . . . is a business . . . that she wants to open . . .

This is a hair that doesn't need splitting. It's plenty reasonable that Tiana, who starts the movie as a little girl cooking gumbo she shares with her whole community, would open her restaurant and expand its success into a larger enterprise that also both includes and benefits her community.

J4546

cool so we are complaining the theming is too nice for the ride gotcha.

of course the ride could be longer but we knew from the start it was a kiddie coaster we knew the layout and everything so i dont get why the surprise in ride length when we knew what it was gonna be from the beginning. the theming is amazing and makes the land much more immersive and encompasing on both sides of the harbour but i guess if they had left the coaster more bare bones like hippogriff or barnstormer some of you would prefer that...not me.

LittleBuford

No. She wants to open a restaurant. Those are two different things. Tiana is Remy, not Skinner.

View attachment 749409
The claim was that the version of Tiana being presented in the ride has nothing to do with the character we met in the movie. Sure, there’s no reason they needed to develop her story this way, but the idea that they’re doing something wildly unexpected with her is more than a little farfetched. She’s going from running one food-related business to another, which is hardly that big a leap.

_caleb

I, for one, enjoy geeking out over the details WDI is providing about their inspiration, research, and intention behind TBA. I think it's great that they're pushing for the same (or greater) degree of authenticity in the ride that went into the film. NOS at Disneyland is one of my favorite lands to spend time in, and POFQ/POR are my favorite resorts at WDW. I'm really hoping they capture the feeling of those with TBA.

I love that Charita Carter (the first African-American Woman Executive Producer of WDI) is leading the project, and that they're bringing in artists from New Orleans to contribute the art and music. I expect the intentional involvement of creative Black people will have impact on the development process, the messaging, and the final product, and I'm really looking forward to experiencing TBA.

I'm wondering how they intend to manage guest comparisons to Splash. Most of us view former attractions through lenses of nostalgia, and I can just imagine the flood of memories many will experience as we wind through the redesigned queue or take our seats in the logs. They're going to have to do a lot to drown out the Splash music loops in our minds if they want us to experience TBA on its own merits. (I think they understand this.)

Incomudro

A restaurant . . . is a business . . . that she wants to open . . .

This is a hair that doesn't need splitting. It's plenty reasonable that Tiana, who starts the movie as a little girl cooking gumbo she shares with her whole community, would open her restaurant and expand its success into a larger enterprise that also both includes and benefits her community.
It's not that reasonable. How many restaurant owners go on to start their own food companies?
More importantly than that:
It Wasn't Needed.
At the end of the film, she got her dream.
Isn't that enough?
Isn't that the happily ever after portion of the film?
But now, that's not good enough.
I can imagine thousands of people who have seen that film, and thousands of little girls as well - who will know little about this rides backstory when they ride it who will then wonder - "What is this?"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom