News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Basil of Baker Street

That is my issue exactly... I liked the film and characters... I don't need a whole new story into a character that (could have) evolved after story we love... Just like other classic Disney film characters...I don't need a sequel to know what happened afterwards...The idea of being in the bayou and having Dr Facilier send you over the water to the "Other Side" or escaping the "Other Side" over a waterfall sounds like an amazing attraction to me... Ending at Tiana's Palace is great too...but all this gobbledygook they have created does not make sense to me...
Same here. What was wrong with the story of the film. It was great.

Cliff

That is my issue exactly... I liked the film and characters... I don't need a whole new story into a character that (could have) evolved after story we love... Just like other classic Disney film characters...I don't need a sequel to know what happened afterwards...The idea of being in the bayou and having Dr Facilier send you over the water to the "Other Side" or escaping the "Other Side" over a waterfall sounds like an amazing attraction to me... Ending at Tiana's Palace is great too...but all this gobbledygook they have created does not make sense to me...
We know the flat regions could be a bayou, low land swamp..but does the swamp path take you into an actual flooded salt mine? We go "up/down" a salt mine dome and then back to a New Orleans swamp? Maybe there is a magic portal that takes you there and returns you back???

Kirby86

Ok...where were me? Oh....yeah, Tiana.

For those that don't know. There were two types of logs for Tony Baxter's excellent Splash Mountain ride. Disneyland used a single stack log and and WDW logs were double stacked (side by side seating)

Personally, I liked the WDW side by side seating so you could sit next to your partner. Does anybody know if Disney will take the oppertunity to change the logs in Disneyland to be double seating?

Which seating type is best for TBA?
If I was a betting man I'd say both coasts logs are staying as is. Unless they're actually rebuilding the flume for Disneylands. I belive it's too narrow for Disney Worlds style.

James Alucobond

In Splash Mountain, you had a physical dynamic trip of seeing the characters, and while the story is somewhat passive, it is physically, in the main characters footsteps of the thrill to emotions, both protagonist and antagonist. It was inspired by and had some changes and expansions to the stories known, but not verbatim.
This is both a) a stretch with regard to your “happens to you” categorization and b) probably not terribly dissimilar from what the new ride experience will be.

celluloid

This is both a) a stretch with regard to your “happens to you” categorization and b) probably not terribly dissimilar from what the new ride experience will be.

Keep reading when you stopped and decided to quote what you quoted. The difference there is the thrill dynamic happens to you. Same way Pirates does. (the original ride this quote happens to you comes from when Imagineers reference people's favorite) The physical dynamic is the storytelling. If you read my post again, you will see nothing has been marketed or in story given, leading us to believe there will be voodoo magic or other story point that explains the thrill pattern and pacing. It could, but nothing released as of yet that makes anyone believe so.

I will make it easy for you. If you read the end, you see I addressed where this could be the case, but not yet:

I have yet to hear how we are a part of this ride's story and how the dynamic of the ride matches the film or our experience. Most posters here can see and have posted the obvious ones. Drops being a result of a voodoo magic good and bad to provide the matching thrill.

So far, all that has been marketed and hyped is touring the food co-op. The richness of story does not mean anything if the ride does not tell a story well.

Drdcm

Keep reading when you stopped and decided to quote what you quoted. The difference there is the thrill dynamic happens to you. Same way Pirates does. (the original ride this quote happens to you comes from when Imagineers reference people's favorite) The physical dynamic is the storytelling. If you read my post again, you will see nothing has been marketed or in story given, leading us to believe there will be voodoo magic or other story point that explains the thrill pattern and pacing. It could, but nothing released as of yet that makes anyone believe so.

I will make it easy for you. If you read the end, you see I addressed where this could be the case, but not yet:

I have yet to hear how we are a part of this ride's story and how the dynamic of the ride matches the film or our experience. Most posters here can see and have posted the obvious ones. Drops being a result of a voodoo magic good and bad to provide the matching thrill.

So far, all that has been marketed and hyped is touring the food co-op. The richness of story does not mean anything if the ride does not tell a story well.
Really not trying to be critical here. Aren’t we supposed to help Tiana find the missing ingredient? Does that count as how we are part of the ride?

JD80

Because Dinoland USA is just a "fun" (supposed) attraction that everybody can experience, love a go home. Many older, legacy Disney atteactions are like that. They are just devoid of positive social activism. :-(

Today's Imagineering are now using attractions to promote positive social elightenment. They take the oppertunity to teach us social morality and they help us FINALLY repair the wrongs in human history. They fix our history...properly.

All early Disney was propaganda and social activism. American prominence in war, in technology, in culture etc. "The American Way" etc.

Dear Prudence

imagineering of late suffers from a lack of strong "show don't tell" abilities
I thought about this and wanted ro follow up a little bit; it's pretty normal, and perfectly healthy to not fall all over every single thing a multi-kajillion dollar conglomerate spits out-- especially with their underwhelming track record lately. It's okay to not mindlessly say YES to a brand and pledge undying loyalty to it. I think a lot of the complaints are just complaints, but I also think there's something to be said about the front loading of unnecessary details while at the same time not giving straight answers. I just don't understand conflating not pledging blind loyalty to a brand (who has clearly demonstrated they don't care) to being an unpleasable malcontent.

The previews for the animation of the new Disney ➕️ series is gorgeous and the new show looks super cute. It has great leadership, and the kind of writing team it should have had the first time around. I think that looks really promising, and I hope that I am right about the delays in the details about the attraction being related to the tie ins to the show.

celluloid

Really not trying to be critical here. Aren’t we supposed to help Tiana find the missing ingredient? Does that count as how we are part of the ride?

It could. That does not have enough detail to match the perils and dynamic of the flume falls yet. It could feature elements that give it congruence, but we have yet to see that.

Last edited:

Drdcm

It could. That does not have enough detail to match the perils and dynamic of the fluke falls yet. It could feature elements that give it congruence, but we have yet to see that.
Yeah. We’ll have to see how the story goes. It seems like the ride itself will probably be a separate “process” from the food co-op backstory, but who knows 🤷‍♂️

celluloid

Yeah. We’ll have to see how the story goes. It seems like the ride itself will probably be a separate “process” from the food co-op backstory, but who knows 🤷‍♂️

Likely. What has to happen to fit the typical best guest impact practices mentioned would be one that matches the ride's dynamic in this case since the flume is heavily designed to be that.

_caleb

I thought about this and wanted ro follow up a little bit; it's pretty normal, and perfectly healthy to not fall all over every single thing a multi-kajillion dollar conglomerate spits out-- especially with their underwhelming track record lately. It's okay to not mindlessly say YES to a brand and pledge undying loyalty to it. I think a lot of the complaints are just complaints, but I also think there's something to be said about the front loading of unnecessary details while at the same time not giving straight answers. I just don't understand conflating not pledging blind loyalty to a brand (who has clearly demonstrated they don't care) to being an unpleasable malcontent.
I think some come across as "unpleasable malcontents" when they express strong negative opinions about things with little reason.
  • "TBA has a poor story nobody cares about." We don't yet know the story of the ride. They've hinted about a Mardi Gras party and a missing ingredient. But they've also hinted about Luis' trumpet going missing, and Mama Odie making an appearance.
  • "All the promotion is about salt mines and co-ops." They've certainly talked about these things, but they've hardly been the center/main focus. There's valid criticism that this initially feels shoehorned in. But as we see how it plays out, it may very well be background setting info.
  • "The backstory stuff is unnecessary!" Of course it is for the Imagineers--just like actors in a play are given (or develop) backstories so they can find their characters' motivations for what they do/say, so too do elements in a themed attraction. It's fine if fans don't like/care about backstory details, but those things are part of the process.
  • "With TBA, Disney has an agenda!" Disney has almost always had some message/agenda with their rides and films.
  • "They're doing a poor job of marketing this ride!" There is a difference between showing behind the scenes/background work and actually marketing the finished product. We haven't seen the latter because they're still building it. There should also be some acknowledgement that WDI is in a difficult position here given the history of the attraction and social climate.
  • "That art looks like it was done by a 3-year old!" It's okay not to like the art! But it's rude and mean and ignorant to belittle the artist.
Seriously, it's totally fine if people don't like how TBA is shaping up. But I'd hope in our discussion that we might all be open to new information as it come available and discussing in good faith based on what Disney is actually doing (rather than what some are afraid they might be doing).

Tha Realest

I think some come across as "unpleasable malcontents" when they express strong negative opinions about things with little reason.
  • "TBA has a poor story nobody cares about." We don't yet know the story of the ride. They've hinted about a Mardi Gras party and a missing ingredient. But they've also hinted about Luis' trumpet going missing, and Mama Odie making an appearance.
  • "All the promotion is about salt mines and co-ops." They've certainly talked about these things, but they've hardly been the center/main focus. There's valid criticism that this initially feels shoehorned in. But as we see how it plays out, it may very well be background setting info.
  • "The backstory stuff is unnecessary!" Of course it is for the Imagineers--just like actors in a play are given (or develop) backstories so they can find their characters' motivations for what they do/say, so too do elements in a themed attraction. It's fine if fans don't like/care about backstory details, but those things are part of the process.
  • "With TBA, Disney has an agenda!" Disney has almost always had some message/agenda with their rides and films.
  • "They're doing a poor job of marketing this ride!" There is a difference between showing behind the scenes/background work and actually marketing the finished product. We haven't seen the latter because they're still building it. There should also be some acknowledgement that WDI is in a difficult position here given the history of the attraction and social climate.
  • "That art looks like it was done by a 3-year old!" It's okay not to like the art! But it's rude and mean and ignorant to belittle the artist.
Seriously, it's totally fine if people don't like how TBA is shaping up. But I'd hope in our discussion that we might all be open to new information as it come available and discussing in good faith based on what Disney is actually doing (rather than what some are afraid they might be doing).
I appreciate this. I really do. I’d add that there are things that - thus far - appear to be missing from this experience that are head scratchers. First and foremost, Dr. Facilier. “Friends on the Other Side.” Yes, we’re getting a Tiana, but it feels like it’s Tiana 2.0 (or maybe 3.0) as compared to the character we came to know from the film.

And, while comparisons are unfair, they’re using the same track and layout of Splash. Splash was a master class at building the foreboding nature of the drop. It had a growing sense of thrill and anticipation as you moved through it. What we know of the story thus far appears to have none of that conflict or sense of danger.

zipadee999

I appreciate this. I really do. I’d add that there are things that - thus far - appear to be missing from this experience that are head scratchers. First and foremost, Dr. Facilier. “Friends on the Other Side.” Yes, we’re getting a Tiana, but it feels like it’s Tiana 2.0 (or maybe 3.0) as compared to the character we came to know from the film.

And, while comparisons are unfair, they’re using the same track and layout of Splash. Splash was a master class at building the foreboding nature of the drop. It had a growing sense of thrill and anticipation as you moved through it. What we know of the story thus far appears to have none of that conflict or sense of danger.
Exactly. They’re taking splash, what many considered one of the most intimidating rides in the park, and trying to turn it into a fantasyland kiddie ride. They should be playing into the thrill factor rather than shying away from it.

bmr1591

Um, what? Almost always?

There are plenty of Disney rides out there, so if they almost always have an agenda, please name ten of them and state their message/agenda.

I'm not OP, but I can give you some.

1. Flight of Passage - Conservation
2. Living with the Land - Conservation
3. Spaceship Earth - Teach people the history of communication and it's importance to our world
4. Remy's Ratatoullie Adventure - Spark interest in French cuisine
5. Three Caballeros - Spark interest in Latino culture
6. Soarin' Across the World - Importance of exploration/Leaving your bubble
7. It's a Small World - Unity amongst people groups
8. Test Track - Spark interest in technology/stem fields
9. The Seas with Nemo and Friends - Conservation
10. Killimanjaro Safaris - Conservation and Wildlife Protection

I'm sure I could list more. A lot of rides aren't simply made for fun, even if they are fun. There's nothing wrong with having an agenda or message tied to a ride, most just get frustrated when said agenda goes against their personal views, to which I'd say then just don't ride the ride. There are plenty of views Disney corporate holds that I don't. If they made a ride promoting those views, I'd just not go on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom