News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Cliff

I feel like when the bulk of your marketing has to do with co ops, salt mines, and the 'cultural importance' of what you're doing, you've missed the mark.
The salt mine and employee oened co-op elements are features of the attraction. The salt mine portion is there to explain why there is a "mountain" (supposedly) in a New Orleans swamp. It NEEDS to be there to explain the structure of the ride. It's the "ONLY" geographical element that they could use to shoe-horn in to make any sense whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMaxRebo

What is it? A trumpet? If so, it looks really weird for a trumpet.

Why did I think he played the sax? Maybe because they gave some of the Mark Twain passengers plywood saxophones to play for the big finale' of the riverboat show in 2009?

images

So what is this instrument? It doesn't look like a trumpet, or upon closer inspection even a saxophone in Ms. Favorite's mural. Is that a miniature French Horn?

4iu8t2ohu4goyh2igbh9h1p3irbh9pujio13a.jpg

He pretty clearly plays a trumpet, not sure what the confusion could be

1ffd9fe6fd2cb1d8d515d7061644aa40.jpg

JoeCamel

What is it? A trumpet? If so, it looks really weird for a trumpet.

Why did I think he played the sax? Maybe because they gave some of the Mark Twain passengers plywood saxophones to play for the big finale' of the riverboat show in 2009?

images

So what is this instrument? It doesn't look like a trumpet, or upon closer inspection even a saxophone in Ms. Favorite's mural. Is that a miniature French Horn?

4iu8t2ohu4goyh2igbh9h1p3irbh9pujio13a.jpg

He pretty clearly plays a trumpet, not sure what the confusion could be

View attachment 749311
Its Louis Armstrong, it is a trumpet

aladdin2007

They just showed sections of this mural on the local news, it looks like it belongs at a daycare. 0% belongs in Frontierland....they have thrown all placemaking out the door. This project is starting to look and feel more ill-fitting than I ever thought it would, I dont know what they think they are doing.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

It isn't just the salt mines or co-op aspect (though those have been covered/promot s) but just all the articles and videos about research trips to New Orleans and the art and artists from the area and that provided inspiration, etc .... So much talk about everything but the actual ride experience

I am still very optimistic that the final product will be well done and a very fun experience - but so far they have been covering all the background and backstory and inspiration way more than what that fun experience will actually be
I'm actually pretty ok with the videos focussing on their research in New Orleans, work with local artists, use of zydeco music, Dooky Chase, etc. That seems a little along the lines of all the stuff Joe Rhode used to do for Pandora and Expedition Everest.

The problem is more when they shift to describing the ride, the details suddenly seem so strangely pedestrian regarding an employee-owned food company and a salt mine. I feel like they haven't done a good job of communicating how they will bring the art, music, and culture they've been researching into the ride itself. They have begun to give us more about audioanimatronics and a glimpse of Mama Odie and, like you, I remain hopeful about the ride experience. I do think they should look at this and the Starcruiser and re-think how they tease rides and experiences in the future.

Cliff

They just showed sections of this mural on the local news, it looks like it belongs at a daycare. 0% belongs in Frontierland....they have thrown all placemaking out the door. This project is starting to look and feel more ill-fitting than I ever thought it would, I dont know what they think they are doing.
I think you are looking more into the theming than Disney want's you to. I think your expectations are too high. (I can tell that you are an old school Imagineering fan)

Just dont look to deep into this attraction details or concept coheisiveness. It's made by a new group of people that are less concerned with the actual theming details than you might be???

I think it WILL have good attention to the moral aspects of the attraction though.

Last edited:

Incomudro

I really hope that the mural will only be visible from down in the queue.
Hoping it's obscured by foliage or something blocking its view from up on the pathways.

Tha Realest

They haven't marketed this ride yet. It's all just Parks blog stuff for us park nerds.
Yes and no. They had big events at Essence Fest, which is not a theme park specific audience like IAPPA, TEA, or D23. It’s not just inside baseball stuff, there’s been an effort to get this information out (market) to other audiences.

JD80

Yes and no. They had big events at Essence Fest, which is not a theme park specific audience like IAPPA, TEA, or D23. It’s not just inside baseball stuff, there’s been an effort to get this information out (market) to other audiences.

When I think "marketing" for TBA I'm picturing commercials on ABC, email campaigns, website overlays and offers. Maybe a mention on ESPN during a football game before a commercial break not to mention any merch promotions or magicbands.

All this stuff that we've seen/read is just fun stories they have posted but it's not really a "marketing" effort. I guess it depends on what you mean by marketing. Sure mentioning the ride on tiktok with some behind the scenes is marketing if you look at it from a certain point of view. I'm more thinking mass market stuff.

Cliff

To be honest...I have sort of given up on this newest generation of Imagineers. My expectations for this Tiana attraction are extremely low today. I was just at Journey of Water at Epcot and it seemed "ok" but not one thing "wow'd" me at all. There was NO reason why it took Imagineering all those years and years to build a walk through water and rock attraction with pumps and pipes. Joe Rode would have had that thing built in 12 to 18 months?

Yeah...I have learned not to expect much anymore from todays Imagineering.

Last edited:

michmousefan

When I think "marketing" for TBA I'm picturing commercials on ABC, email campaigns, website overlays and offers. Maybe a mention on ESPN during a football game before a commercial break not to mention any merch promotions or magicbands.

All this stuff that we've seen/read is just fun stories they have posted but it's not really a "marketing" effort. I guess it depends on what you mean by marketing. Sure mentioning the ride on tiktok with some behind the scenes is marketing if you look at it from a certain point of view. I'm more thinking mass market stuff.
There's "niche marketing," aimed at a smaller, distinct audience — which is mostly what they have been doing to date, and "mass marketing," which really hasn't started in earnest yet.

Bocabear

Well, let's face it, everything posted about the upcoming ride from Disney is marketing...
Every promo, every mention of the artists they have hired etc...It is all marketing I am sure there are a lot of smaller posts etc on forums such as this one that are also an arm of marketing...

Vegas Disney Fan

To be honest...I have sort of given up on this newest generation of Imagineers. My expectations for this Tiana attraction are extremely low today. I was just at Journey of Water at Epcot and it seemed "ok" but not one thing "wow'd" me at all. There was NO reason why it took Imagineering all those years and years to build a walk through water and rock attraction with pumps and pipes. Joe Rode would have had that thing built in 12 to 18 months?

Yeah...I have learned not to expect much anymore from today’s Imagineering.

Are the imagineers bad or are the budget constraints forcing bad imagineering?

The new coaster in Hong Kong being a great example, it has incredible theming that rivals anything previous Imagineers have given us but the length of the ride is comical. Was that an imagineering failure or a budget failure?

Hopefully TBA will be given a budget that allows imagineering to shine, time will tell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom