News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Ghost93

I strongly doubt these exceptions are intentional. I'd guess that the higher ups who mandated the purge simply don't know about it. The CM's running these shops likely haven't bothered to tell them either. This is probably the same reason why the Penny Press tucked away under the Frontierland railroad was spared for a while after all other Brer merch was banned.
I always have felt that the executives at Disney (from the Michael Eisner era onward) at have been squeamish around Song of the South, while a lot of the creatives within the company have had a deep fondness for it. The creatives have been trying to sneak references to the film here and there in ways that wouldn't catch the attention of the CEO. So that is probably the explanation for the discrepancies.

Animaniac93-98

According to a couple of CMs I've talked to over the past few months, they still play the Laughin' Place song in loops and apparently the original song from the film plays in hotel gift shops.

Those gift shops are probably playing the old "Classic Disney" series of CDs that were released during the mid-late 90s.

Volume 2 has that song, and others appear in the series too.

Such is the difficulty of trying to purge a movie who's content was widely spread across so many channels for so long.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

I always have felt that the executives at Disney (from the Michael Eisner era onward) at have been squeamish around Song of the South, while a lot of the creatives within the company have had a deep fondness for it. The creatives have been trying to sneak references to the film here and there in ways that wouldn't catch the attention of the CEO. So that is probably the explanation for the discrepancies.

I can see this as well. The movie is kind of a deep cut reference and a litmus test of Disney fandom that makes it the perfect Easter Egg to place in various spots.

Regarding Eisner, he did say this about the movie. From Disney's own book The Disney Mountains: Imagineering at its Peak:

"It's a great, innovative movie with the combination of live action and animation...but we'd never release that movie on home video* because you'd have to do so much explaining, historically, about the time it was made and the attitudes people had. But that doesn't negate the strong music, or the characters other than Uncle Remus."

*Michael may have forgotten the movie was released to video outside the USA while he was CEO...plus clips on other tapes

Casper Gutman

Some of the language being used here—"purge", "ban"—is really extreme and unnecessary. We're dealing with the removal of an IP from a theme park, for goodness' sake, not a book burning.
Ehhhh… Song of the South is a truly problematic IP (and not just to some easily dismissed portion of the population) and the issues surrounding book burning are far more socially, politically, and culturally troubling and significant…

BUT…

After a modern book burning, the book is still available to be read (that does not remotely make it OK, of course). What makes the Splash situation so distressing is that, unlike a protested book or film, it’s a work of art that is now gone. It can never be experienced again. That doesn’t make the removal wrong, but I think it does make it more meaningful then the execs making the decision understand, and it does raise issues of theme park attractions as art that may not have clear, satisfying answers.

Ghost93

I can see this as well. The movie is kind of a deep cut reference and a litmus test of Disney fandom that makes it the perfect Easter Egg to place in various spots.

Regarding Eisner, he did say this about the movie. From Disney's own book The Disney Mountains: Imagineering at its Peak:

"It's a great, innovative movie with the combination of live action and animation...but we'd never release that movie on home video* because you'd have to do so much explaining, historically, about the time it was made and the attitudes people had. But that doesn't negate the strong music, or the characters other than Uncle Remus."

*Michael may have forgotten the movie was released to video outside the USA while he was CEO...plus clips on other tapes
I always got the vibe that Michael personally liked the film but was too scared to release it, while Bob Iger strongly disliked the movie AND was scared to release it.

I personally think the movie isn't appropriate for impressionable children, but I also think the children of today would largely be bored by it. It should have had a DVD release as part of Leonard Maltin's Treasures series in the early 2000s. That would have been the perfect way to release the film to film history/animation buffs without marketing it to children. But that ship has long sailed.

LittleBuford

Ehhhh… Song of the South is a truly problematic IP (and not just to some easily dismissed portion of the population) and the issues surrounding book burning are far more socially, politically, and culturally troubling and significant…

BUT…

After a modern book burning, the book is still available to be read (that does not remotely make it OK, of course). What makes the Splash situation so distressing is that, unlike a protested book or film, it’s a work of art that is now gone. It can never be experienced again. That doesn’t make the removal wrong, but I think it does make it more meaningful then the execs making the decision understand, and it does raise issues of theme park attractions as art that may not have clear, satisfying answers.
I wasn’t saying its removal isn’t impactful—I will miss it terribly—but that the language people are using to describe that removal is unnecessarily charged.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

Eisner didn't feel like releasing it with a disclaimer basically. I wonder if this was before or after WB started releasing their older stuff with content warnings and supplementary material.

MerlinTheGoat

Some of the language being used here—"purge", "ban"—is really extreme and unnecessary. We're dealing with the removal of an IP from a theme park, for goodness' sake, not a book burning.
The terms are perfectly accurate to what is going on, whether you agree with the reasons behind it or not. Just because Disney isn't setting Brer plushies on fire in a public square to make their policies more explicit, it doesn't mean that "ban" and "purge" don't still describe precisely what they're doing with the IP across the parks and company as a whole.

For the first time in decades, it's now easier to watch a decent quality copy of Song of the South than actually ride Splash Mountain. The opposite was true for so long it's not something I ever thought was going to happen, especially without an official release.
I consider that a silver lining. I'm not even a big fan of the film outside of Uncle Remus and the animated segments. But it's at least a partial victory for preservation to get ahold of old theater reels and transferring them to digital form for uploading. It can probably even continue to be cleaned up and restored over time, by amateurs at least. Not as ideal as a true master source and big budget film restoration company, but far better than nothing, and FAR FAR better than an old VHS.

seabreezept813

Some of it is admittedly that Maelstrom just made more sense in that location, so there's kind of a subconscious issue there -- I also hate that they blocked up the opening for FEA, although that's more about experiencing it from the pavilion and not the ride itself.

I think the advanced AAs in Frozen actually... detract isn't the right word, but I think in some ways they draw attention to how barren the rest of the ride is because they're very high quality (absent the terrible faces) and then everything else is just kind of there (or not there in some cases).

Expectations probably play a part too. Maelstrom didn't get 60+ minute waits, and I never expected it to be more than what it was. The first time I rode Frozen Ever After, with the long waits (I had FP+ so thankfully I didn't waste my time waiting) and the fact it was based on one of their biggest hits in a long time, my reaction was "that's it?"

All that aside, just watching the straight comparison Maelstrom feels like a more cohesive experience, even though it was random in places too.
I think they just missed some set opportunities. The foliage and waterfall in the troll scene really add. Too bad they can’t plus frozen with more scenery.

LittleBuford

The terms are perfectly accurate to what is going on, whether you agree with the reasons behind it or not. Just because Disney isn't setting Brer plushies on fire in a public square to make their policies more explicit, it doesn't mean that "ban" and "purge" don't still describe precisely what they're doing with the IP across the parks and company as a whole.
Language doesn’t exist in a vacuum. The terms you’re using carry deeply charged associations that point to contexts really far removed from the world of theme parks. It’s a very unfortunate and loaded way in which to frame the discussion.

MerlinTheGoat

Language doesn’t exist in a vacuum. The terms you’re using carry deeply charged associations that point to contexts really far removed from the world of theme parks. It’s a very unfortunate and loaded way in which to frame the discussion.
The words again are accurate descriptions to what Disney has done with the IP. What is unfortunate is the attempt to gaslight people into thinking otherwise, and attempt to police the use of said words. Or to claim that the only context they should be allowed to be used are for a very specific act such as book burning.

The word ban is defined in the dictionary as officially or legally prohibiting something. The word purge means to remove something that is unwanted. Both of these definitions are an accurate and factual description of what Disney is doing with the IP. Again, Disney does not have to set a literal bonfire of Brer Rabbit merch on fire to qualify for those definitions.

LittleBuford

The words again are accurate descriptions to what Disney has done with the IP. What is unfortunate is the attempt to gaslight people into thinking otherwise, and attempt to police the use of said words. Or to claim that the only context they should be allowed to be used are for a very specific act such as book burning.

The word ban is defined in the dictionary as officially or legally prohibiting something. The word purge means to remove something that is unwanted. Both of these definitions are an accurate and factual description of what Disney is doing with the IP. Again, Disney does not have to set a literal bonfire of Brer Rabbit merch on fire to qualify for those definitions.
I’m not policing, but rather saying I don’t think such rhetoric is productive. I don’t doubt you’ll go on using these terms, as is your right, just as it’s mine to disagree with your framing.

MerlinTheGoat

Prior to Frozen being greenlit, there were non-IP renovation concepts that at least kept more of the Norwegian legends foundation intact. It was to be more upbeat than the original, with some of the trolls being friendly from what it appears and the story taking on a musical tone. Though it still appeared to keep a few of the moodier elements intact.

1695601962038.png

1695601973464.png

Some of these scenes have a more Marc Davis like approach with their gags and character designs. The replacement for the oil rig looked pretty cool. I think I may have seen more art for this concept than this, but I can't find them at the moment.

Animaniac93-98

Prior to Frozen being greenlit, there were non-IP renovation concepts that at least kept more of the Norwegian legends foundation intact. It was to be more upbeat than the original, with some of the trolls being friendly from what it appears and the story taking on a musical tone. Though it still appeared to keep a few of the moodier elements intact.

View attachment 744779
View attachment 744780

Some of these scenes have a more Marc Davis like approach with their gags and character designs. The replacement for the oil rig looked pretty cool. I think I may have seen more art for this concept than this, but I can't find them at the moment.

Sounds similar to what was done with Sinbad in Japan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom