News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Disney Analyst

I actually love this comment, because when I watch that video, I think it's pretty obvious that Maelstrom was better (not that I think Maelstrom was anything special).

Just shows how subjective it all is.

The way I see it:

1. Opening of Frozen is better. Extended ride experience, beautiful new show scenes right off the bat.
  2. Lift hill is the same, doesn’t make a difference.
  3. First part of upstairs feels similar? Both seemed empty. Frozen may get a slightly lower score as it looks cold, making it feel more barren.
  4. Elsa segment is cool, but backwards section is a downgrade. Barren.
  5. Track switch section is a toss up for me.
  6. End of the ride better on frozen.

UNCgolf

The way I see it:

1. Opening of Frozen is better. Extended ride experience, beautiful new show scenes right off the bat.
  2. Lift hill is the same, doesn’t make a difference.
  3. First part of upstairs feels similar? Both seemed empty. Frozen may get a slightly lower score as it looks cold, making it feel more barren.
  4. Elsa segment is cool, but backwards section is a downgrade. Barren.
  5. Track switch section is a toss up for me.
  6. End of the ride better on frozen.

Some of it is admittedly that Maelstrom just made more sense in that location, so there's kind of a subconscious issue there -- I also hate that they blocked up the opening for FEA, although that's more about experiencing it from the pavilion and not the ride itself.

I think the advanced AAs in Frozen actually... detract isn't the right word, but I think in some ways they draw attention to how barren the rest of the ride is because they're very high quality (absent the terrible faces) and then everything else is just kind of there (or not there in some cases).

Expectations probably play a part too. Maelstrom didn't get 60+ minute waits, and I never expected it to be more than what it was. The first time I rode Frozen Ever After, with the long waits (I had FP+ so thankfully I didn't waste my time waiting) and the fact it was based on one of their biggest hits in a long time, my reaction was "that's it?"

All that aside, just watching the straight comparison Maelstrom feels like a more cohesive experience, even though it was random in places too.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

Some of it is admittedly that Maelstrom just made more sense in that location, so there's kind of a subconscious issue there -- I also hate that they blocked up the opening for FEA, although that's more about experiencing it from the pavilion and not the ride itself.

I think the advanced AAs in Frozen actually... detract isn't the right word, but I think in some ways they draw attention to how barren the rest of the ride is because they're very high quality (absent the terrible faces) and then everything else is just kind of there (or not there in some cases).

Expectations probably play a part too. Maelstrom didn't get 60+ minute waits, and I never expected it to be more than what it was. The first time I rode Frozen Ever After, with the long waits (I had FP+ so thankfully I didn't waste my time waiting) and the fact it was based on one of their biggest hits in a long time, my reaction was "that's it?"

All that aside, just watching the straight comparison Maelstrom feels like a more cohesive experience, even though it was random in places too.
Interesting discussion.

Watching the side-by-side video, I think I would say that Maelstrom is a lot more atmospheric but that Frozen feels like a more cohesive experience. I think the music helps a lot in this respect as the ride doesn't exactly tell a clear, linear story (which I think is a good thing), but the score and songs from Frozen help carry you through the ride along with the characters. Maelstrom does feel a lot more like a random series of Norwegian vignettes.

Another thing watching the video after having been to Norway quite a lot over the past few years, I have to be honest and say that Maelstrom doesn't really evoke the country for me. I always liked it and it has its charms, but must say that the ride doesn't really remind me of anywhere I've been.

UNCgolf

Interesting discussion.

Watching the side-by-side video, I think I would say that Maelstrom is a lot more atmospheric but that Frozen feels like a more cohesive experience. I think the music helps a lot in this respect as the ride doesn't exactly tell a clear, linear story (which I think is a good thing), but the score and songs from Frozen help carry you through the ride along with the characters. Maelstrom does feel a lot more like a random series of Norwegian vignettes.

Another thing watching the video after having been to Norway quite a lot over the past few years, I have to be honest and say that Maelstrom doesn't really evoke the country for me. I always liked it and it has its charms, but must say that the ride doesn't really remind me of anywhere I've been.

A series of random vignettes is how I'd describe Frozen Ever After! It's just a collection of characters and songs from the movie -- you could shuffle the order and it wouldn't really be noticeable or make any difference.

I agree that Maelstrom is basically a collection of vignettes too, but I just think it works better in Maelstrom. Being more atmospheric is probably part of it.

Sir_Cliff

A series of random vignettes is how I'd describe Frozen Ever After! It's just a collection of characters and songs from the movie -- you could shuffle the order and it wouldn't really be noticeable or make any difference.

I agree that Maelstrom is basically a collection of vignettes too, but I just think it works better in Maelstrom. Being more atmospheric is probably part of it.
I do get that and think I like FEA more than most on here. This is where I wonder if the music plays a role in making it seem a lot more like a connected journey through the world of the film than it would be otherwise. Certainly wish the placement was different and we had a new Norwegian-themed attraction in the pavilion, but that's all history at this point. I'm sure it will be a hit at WDSP as in that context it fills a need for a family friendly dark ride attraction mostly lacking from the park.

Bringing it back to the construction of Tiana, I will say the mountain is beginning to look rather green!

TheMaxRebo

It’ll end up in some executive’s office who campaigned for the removal of Splash. It’ll be right next to the “You May Get Wet” sign on their wall.

maybe they could add it to Laughing Place Ranch they are building at that Cotino, Storyliving by Disney

1695564928549.png

Kirby86

I'm willing to bet that there are people so disconnected from a movie's cartoon segments that they didn't even know where the phrase came from.
Since it seems for this storybook living thing they are really leaning heavy into the Walt Disney of it. He used the term laughing place a lot so they figured sure why not use the name. It's odd they did this after getting rid of Splash, however I agree with you they thought of the name because of Walt not because someone really likes Song of the South

TheMaxRebo

Since it seems for this storybook living thing they are really leaning heavy into the Walt Disney of it. He used the term laughing place a lot so they figured sure why not use the name. It's odd they did this after getting rid of Splash, however I agree with you they thought of the name because of Walt not because someone really likes Song of the South

Oh definitely - just optics of the timing aren't great

UNCgolf

I do get that and think I like FEA more than most on here. This is where I wonder if the music plays a role in making it seem a lot more like a connected journey through the world of the film than it would be otherwise. Certainly wish the placement was different and we had a new Norwegian-themed attraction in the pavilion, but that's all history at this point. I'm sure it will be a hit at WDSP as in that context it fills a need for a family friendly dark ride attraction mostly lacking from the park.

Bringing it back to the construction of Tiana, I will say the mountain is beginning to look rather green!

I still can't believe they're just cloning it at WDSP. I don't think anyone -- including people who really like FEA -- think that's what Disney would have built for Frozen if they didn't have to shoehorn it into the existing Maelstrom location.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

I'm willing to bet that there are people so disconnected from a movie's cartoon segments that they didn't even know where the phrase came from.
According to a couple of CMs I've talked to over the past few months, they still play the Laughin' Place song in loops and apparently the original song from the film plays in hotel gift shops.

It's so weird seeing what they'll pick and choose from a property they've considered "problematic" enough to lock away forever. They've been doing it for over 4 decades now and I think it's more glaring now that Splash itself is gone.

MerlinTheGoat

According to a couple of CMs I've talked to over the past few months, they still play the Laughin' Place song in loops and apparently the original song from the film plays in hotel gift shops.

It's so weird seeing what they'll pick and choose from a property they've considered "problematic" enough to lock away forever. They've been doing it for over 4 decades now and I think it's more glaring now that Splash itself is gone.
I strongly doubt these exceptions are intentional. I'd guess that the higher ups who mandated the purge simply don't know about it. The CM's running these shops likely haven't bothered to tell them either. This is probably the same reason why the Penny Press tucked away under the Frontierland railroad was spared for a while after all other Brer merch was banned.

Incomudro

The idea that a song can't be played because it's tied to a film a portion of the population has issues with is ridiculous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom