News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

The Mom

Premium Member
I think the point is that this thread is supposed to be solely about the construction progress of Tiana. There are other threads where it can be compared to Splash Mountain.

Obviously this thread has gone off in other directions multiple times, but I think they're doing their best to keep it specifically about the new attraction and construction updates.
Exactly.
Okay, two things...

1) Do you think they'll replace the weathervane with a new one? Or just leave the spot empty?

And 2) Why was my most recent post in this thread removed? All I did was bring up somebody else's claim as to why the retheme was greenlit. I didn't say anything bad about the retheme or in defense of Splash Mountain.
10. If you have a problem with or question about a moderator’s decision, contact the moderator privately or submit a message through the contact system. Posts or topics discussing moderator actions will be removed.

The Mom

Premium Member
The mods are very trigger-happy in this thread (who knows if this post will stay). It's not defense of Splash Mountain...it's any mention of Splash Mountain! But it's impossible to separate the two, as demonstrated by The Unofficial Guide, so I wish the mods would stop trying to.

Tiana will forever be compared to Splash because it is Splash!
10. If you have a problem with or question about a moderator’s decision, contact the moderator privately or submit a message through the contact system. Posts or topics discussing moderator actions will be removed.

Kirby86

Okay, two things...

1) Do you think they'll replace the weathervane with a new one? Or just leave the spot empty?
It could go either way imo. I could see a Tiana and Naveen as Frog's for the weather vane. I could also see Disney going no one cares about a weather vane and leave it empty.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
Friend is at MK right now, Br'er Rabbit is still up on top of the barn.
IMG_6076.jpg

mickEblu

Tony does seem just a tad bitter to lose his ride.
About the 35 minute mark they get to Splash.

Finally hearing this. I’m about an hour in. Man, what a great interview! But all his interviews seem to do is rile me up! Just a reminder we re not crazy and that one of the most important people in Disneyland history agrees with us and was pushed out by the company.

Somehow these new imagineers have Splash’s great layout and are still going to mess it up. I’m paraphrasing but Tony points out the groundwork/ track layout/ drops are still there for them to take us on an emotional journey and yet everything we’ve heard or seen points to there not being any drama or suspense. Meaning the lift hill will have the same happy tone as the rest of the ride not only lowering the suspense of the drop but giving us less of a payoff and change of emotion in the finale. In other words much more of a montone experience. Even if the imagineers hands are tied when it comes to the shadow man there has to be another way to introduce some suspense. Right now everything points to the retheme being one long ride through Happy Town. If they’re somehow keeping it a secret I would be very surprised. And if somehow Dr Facilier, his shadow or ghouls from the other side do end up making appearance I’ll always wonder if it was because they saw all of the negative feedback and changed course.

SuddenStorm

He disparaged overdone storylines that treat guests as if they're stupid.

It's amazing to me that today's crop of attraction designers don't understand that rides are not a medium for linear storytelling, even if a semblance of a linear story is important to guide the design of the attraction. That's what movies are for. Yet each new ride is a point A to point B linear story.

The best examples use the basic principles of a linear story- the initial setting, rising action, climax, then finale- but instead of focusing those around linear events they're more focused around emotional/experiential storytelling- like Pirates in Anaheim. The caves set the mood, the pirates in the village are the rising action, the burning town is the climax.

Some rides are 100% experiential- like Space Mountain. Some rides are 100% linear- like Rise of the Resistance (and the ride suffers for it). But the bona fide winners are blends of both.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
The best examples use the basic principles of a linear story- the initial setting, rising action, climax, then finale- but instead of focusing those around linear events they're more focused around emotional/experiential storytelling- like Pirates in Anaheim. The caves set the mood, the pirates in the village are the rising action, the burning town is the climax.

Some rides are 100% experiential- like Space Mountain. Some rides are 100% linear- like Rise of the Resistance (and the ride suffers for it). But the bona fide winners are blends of both.
You could turn off the audio, freeze the animatronics, send a log through, and you'd still be able to tell what's happening on Splash. Something I highly doubt you could do with Bayou

Figments Friend

The interesting thing about the Baxter comments is that it does seem he really isn't involved with this new attraction nor does he really know what they're doing with it. I guess that puts to rest the question of whether they were just highlighting the contributions of others.

His name was attached to the original announcement to soften the blow to fans of the Attraction.

-

Figments Friend

Somehow, I don’t think Tony will be at the ribbon cutting when Tiana finally opens…I don’t think he’ll be invited, and I don’t think he’d show up.

Tony is usually there for every opening and reopening of anything at Disneyland.
He and the Park are ‘one’, and that has not changed.
I am sure he will be in the crowd on opening day just to witness it all…and yes, he will ride the Attraction to gage the experience.
Would love to be there to see his face when he exits….
😉

-

LittleBuford

You could turn off the audio, freeze the animatronics, send a log through, and you'd still be able to tell what's happening on Splash. Something I highly doubt you could do with Bayou
I created a poll about this if you’re interested. To summarise the results, it’s far from the case that everyone who rode Splash Mountain was able to follow the narrative. That isn’t a criticism: the ride was great regardless of how much of the plot one understood.

Smiley/OCD

Tony is usually there for every opening and reopening of anything at Disneyland.
He and the Park are ‘one’, and that has not changed.
I am sure he will be in the crowd on opening day just to witness it all…and yes, he will ride the Attraction to gage the experience.
Would love to be there to see his face when he exits….
😉

-
Yes, he will ride Tiana just to experience it…he won’t ride it as a Disney Invitee…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom