News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

aladdin2007

I am letting it play out. But honestly, how many times are we going to go through this cycle again and again before we say no more and stop giving them the benefit of doubt? The most reasonable and educated assumption IS that they're going to screw this up, and many of the warning signs are already present. It's Disney's job to prove people otherwise, they have not earned any better than extreme doubt and pessimism.
The fact that they cant even put up decent concept art on the construction walls is a bad sign in itself, the best they can do is a fast food drive thru sign. Its pathetic. Meanwhile over in Disneyland...............its like they aren't even attempting to try here.

Kirby86

The fact that they cant even put up decent concept art on the construction walls is a bad sign in itself, the best they can do is a fast food drive thru sign. Its pathetic. Meanwhile over in Disneyland...............its like they aren't even attempting to try here.
I still think the rumor that this was originally a Disneyland exclusive change over has some merit to it. It just seems that from the beginning the team was focused almost exclusively on Disneyland when it came to hyping up the attraction.

Sir_Cliff

The interesting thing about the Baxter comments is that it does seem he really isn't involved with this new attraction nor does he really know what they're doing with it. I guess that puts to rest the question of whether they were just highlighting the contributions of others.

MerlinTheGoat

I still think the rumor that this was originally a Disneyland exclusive change over has some merit to it. It just seems that from the beginning the team was focused almost exclusively on Disneyland when it came to hyping up the attraction.
Prior to it being announced, I can't say. It's clear they had the placement of New Orleans Square in mind for it when they came up with the idea. But the initial concept art they released was based on the version at WDW. So around the time it was greenlit, they did intend it for both parks. And again, it was still in very early stages at the time without a settled on concept.

The interesting thing about the Baxter comments is that it does seem he really isn't involved with this new attraction nor does he really know what they're doing with it. I guess that puts to rest the question of whether they were just highlighting the contributions of others.
I believe Tony still routinely visits WDI to observe, socialize and give advice (even if his opinions are often disregarded). He's very well connected and can find out anything if he wants. Especially this project. Unless he has deliberately refused information offered to him about it, I cannot imagine that he would be in the dark about what they're doing with it. Not to mention the prevalent rumor (something my source now seems to lend credence to) is that he left the project due to not liking the plan. That would suggest that he has some degree of knowledge of it.

He again almost certainly has some sort of NDA that would prevent him from sharing obvious details or opinions on current WDI projects. His comments about Tiana itself were vague. But at the same time, he focused on interesting details when discussing what made Splash work so well. Details that we coincidentally know Tiana contradicts. He disparaged overdone storylines that treat guests as if they're stupid. He went into detail about how the big drop was enhanced by the dark and scary nature of the final lift. And how the finale scene was designed to be this huge celebration with tons of animatronic figures that was your big reward for conquering the drop.

It's interesting because these are the inversely connected to many of the more pronounced complaints we've had with Tiana. The ridiculously preachy and over the top mess of a backstory. The final lift is being changed to be bright and cheery. And if SplashArchive's claims are to be believed (they've again yet to post the renders they said they possessed), the finale is being dumbed down to only 6 or so animatronics and will heavily feature video projection instead of physical setpieces.

I'm sure Tony knows full well most if not all of the plan they went with. But that was the most he can say legally to the public.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Prior to it being announced, I can't say. It's clear they had the placement of New Orleans Square in mind for it when they came up with the idea. But the initial concept art they released was based on the version at WDW. So around the time it was greenlit, they did intend it for both parks. And again, it was still in very early stages at the time without a settled on concept.

I believe Tony still routinely visits WDI to observe, socialize and give advice (even if his opinions are often disregarded). He's very well connected and can find out anything if he wants. Especially this project. Unless he has deliberately refused information offered to him about it, I cannot imagine that he would be in the dark about what they're doing with it. Not to mention the prevalent rumor (something my source now seems to lend credence to) is that he left the project due to not liking the plan. That would suggest that he has some degree of knowledge of it.

He again almost certainly has some sort of NDA that would prevent him from sharing obvious details or opinions on current WDI projects. His comments about Tiana itself were vague. But at the same time, he focused on interesting details when discussing what made Splash work so well. Details that we coincidentally know Tiana contradicts. He disparaged overdone storylines that treat guests as if they're stupid. He went into detail about how the big drop was enhanced by the dark and scary nature of the final lift. And how the finale scene was designed to be this huge celebration with tons of animatronic figures that was your big reward for conquering the drop.

It's interesting because these are the inversely connected to many of the more pronounced complaints we've had with Tiana. The ridiculously preachy and over the top mess of a backstory. The final lift is being changed to be bright and cheery. And if SplashArchive's claims are to be believed (they've again yet to post the renders they said they possessed), the finale is being dumbed down to only 6 or so animatronics and will heavily feature video projection instead of physical setpieces.

I'm sure Tony knows full well most if not all of the plan they went with. But that was the most he can say legally to the public.
I wonder if bringing Tony on as "consultant" didn't have several goals? His rep would give the project substance but getting him into a NDA by doing that might be insurance that he doesn't throw shade on it. Win win as it were

celluloid

Absent the context of the capacity issue, there is nothing inherently wrong with re-theming a ride. Perfection is subjective, and it certainly wasn't in perfect condition; one of the bad decisions that tops the decision to re-theme would be the decision to allow it to get to the state it was in prior to this work beginning (alongside the general lack of maintenance on multiple attractions).

Really all you are left with then is the merch sells better if the tv show property does well.

Retheming attractions historically occur when an attraction is no longer popular.

That was not the case with Splash Mountain.

So it is at best, mostly a lateral move to the guest.

aladdin2007

I wonder if he left during the first initial plan, or after it got reworked with a higher budget...that would be interesting to know.

Splash4eva

Really all you are left with then is the merch sells better if the tv show property does well.

Retheming attractions historically occur when an attraction is no longer popular.

That was not the case with Splash Mountain.

So it is at best, mostly a lateral move to the guest.
And honestly i think you are being extremely optimistic because i cant see this being anywhere near a lateral move…. Splash was a classic especially with the music in the ride. Just cant duplicate that.

celluloid

Looking at the photos and trends of rethemes and construction of the last five to ten years, it would seem awfully optimistic that this thing will be opening in less than a year from now.

Kirby86

Looking at the photos and trends of rethemes and construction of the last five to ten years, it would seem awfully optimistic that this thing will be opening in less than a year from now.
We don't know what's going on in the inside of the structure so we can't really tell how slow or fast they're moving. Like it or not the exterior isnt going to show us since it looks like thats getting the least anount of work done. As for the timeline I'd hope Disney realizes that they need to open Tianas asap at least for Magic Kingdom

UNCgolf

We still have tons of people (myself included) who gripe about the loss of Mr Toad, DL's Peoplemover, Imagination v1, Horizons, World of Motion etc. The idea that Splash will be any different is absurd. Splash was also far more popular than any of those other examples too, and there's a vast crowd of younger audiences who will remember it and have access to decent quality recordings of it.

The only thing that would nullify some of this backlash is if Tiana is of similar quality to Splash. Something that has almost zero chances of happening. I don't expect it to come close either. Even IF the desire and budget is there, WDI doesn't have the talent to pull it off.

I don't think anyone is suggesting people can't/shouldn't be upset -- e.g., I personally think the EPCOT of the early 1990s was a much better overall experience in general (including a stronger attraction lineup) than anything WDW offers today.

It's just that there's no reason to repeat the same comments weekly (and I'm not suggesting you personally are doing that, either).

Last edited:

celluloid

We don't know what's going on in the inside of the structure so we can't really tell how slow or fast they're moving. Like it or not the exterior isnt going to show us since it looks like thats getting the least anount of work done. As for the timeline I'd hope Disney realizes that they need to open Tianas asap at least for Magic Kingdom

I never said know. But going by the trends...

There is also the aspect of synergy now timing too. This was designed to be opened around the time of the Disney Plus series, which is now severely delayed.

I was also just going by the exterior. That ground was just torn up and we have not in ten years seen Disney replace it so fast. (points to EPCOT)

Sir_Cliff

I don't think anyone is suggesting people can't/shouldn't be upset -- e.g., I personally think the EPCOT of the early 1990s was a much better overall experience in general (including a stronger attraction lineup) than anything WDW offers today.

It's just that there's no reason to repeat the same comments weekly (and I'm not suggesting you personally are doing that, either).
Oh dear god, yes!

Even when I agree with the general sentiment, it becomes such a drag when threads become the same comments repeated over and over again.

SamusAranX

They may need to, but they won’t. Less capacity with Genie+ = more RPU.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Yesterday was the first time I've been since construction started in earnest. I was surprised how small the water tower is IRL - it looks bigger in the pictures. Between the small size of the water tower and the removal of the stump, it really does look smaller. Just my observation.

Kirby86

I never said know. But going by the trends...

There is also the aspect of synergy now timing too. This was designed to be opened around the time of the Disney Plus series, which is now severely delayed.

I was also just going by the exterior. That ground was just torn up and we have not in ten years seen Disney replace it so fast. (points to EPCOT)
Seeing how Disney takes forever to build anything nowadays it's not unreasonable to be skeptical about the time frame they set out. I agree that what they did to EPCOT dosen't build confidence since it's still a construction zone.I'm just saying it's going to be hard from our perspective for this attraction to see the progress since since the exterior is super similar to what it was before. I also believe there is a good chance the opening gets pushed back to 2025.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Photos from today of the outdoor queue area. Scaffolding has started going up at the buildings in the back.

IMG_6046.jpeg
IMG_6048.jpeg
IMG_6036.jpeg
IMG_6038.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom