News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

James Alucobond

They removed arguably one of if not their best attraction for what?!? The ride was perfect…
Absent the context of the capacity issue, there is nothing inherently wrong with re-theming a ride. Perfection is subjective, and it certainly wasn't in perfect condition; one of the bad decisions that tops the decision to re-theme would be the decision to allow it to get to the state it was in prior to this work beginning (alongside the general lack of maintenance on multiple attractions).

Do you think the ride will be less popular after the change? Do you think related gift shops will be pushing less merchandise? You might not like it as much from an artistic, thematic, or animatronic perspective, but making an old ride into something shiny and new is a sight better than allowing spaces to sit empty—like Stitch's Great Escape, Wonders of Life, Cranium Command, Body Wars, Primeval Whirl, and Voyage of the Little Mermaid—or watching as things slide steadily into decay or obsolescence with no update in sight—like Imagination, Speedway, Carousel of Progress, or Spaceship Earth. Oh look! That's 10.

Trauma

Absent the context of the capacity issue, there is nothing inherently wrong with re-theming a ride. Perfection is subjective, and it certainly wasn't in perfect condition; one of the bad decisions that tops the decision to re-theme would be the decision to allow it to get to the state it was in prior to this work beginning (alongside the general lack of maintenance on multiple attractions).

Do you think the ride will be less popular after the change? Do you think related gift shops will be pushing less merchandise? You might not like it as much from an artistic, thematic, or animatronic perspective, but making an old ride into something shiny and new is a sight better than allowing spaces to sit empty—like Stitch's Great Escape, Wonders of Life, Cranium Command, Body Wars, Primeval Whirl, and Voyage of the Little Mermaid—or watching as things slide steadily into decay or obsolescence with no update in sight—like Imagination, Speedway, Carousel of Progress, or Spaceship Earth. Oh look! That's 10.
I’m tired of this argument.

What in the name of modern day Disney suggests they are going to maintain this ride after the first year?

So we should replace a ride because it didn’t receive proper maintenance with another ride that won’t receive proper maintenance.

Pixie dust logic.

MerlinTheGoat

Hard to say at the moment. So far what they've shown still looks more promising than Imagination v2 and v3 at least. But I still don't believe it will come close to matching what it's replacing. Which again was/is one of their best attractions ever. And with a basic refurb, could have continued to be fantastic. Look at how insanely popular and beloved it still was in spite of its poor condition near the end.

And yeah, I don't expect Tiana to remain in decent condition past the first year or two either.

James Alucobond

What in the name of modern day Disney suggests they are going to maintain this ride after the first year?

So we should replace a ride because it didn’t receive proper maintenance with another ride that won’t receive proper maintenance.

Pixie dust logic.
I didn't say they would maintain it. I said there is nothing inherently wrong with re-theming a ride, and that I would quite simply not place most re-theming decisions among the "top ten worst decisions" in Disney World history when we instead have plenty of examples of legitimate negligence and failure to re-develop prime, attraction-ready real estate.

Trauma

I didn't say they would maintain it. I said there is nothing inherently wrong with re-theming a ride, and that I would quite simply not place most re-theming decisions among the "top ten worst decisions" in Disney World history when we instead have plenty of examples of legitimate negligence and failure to re-develop prime, attraction-ready real estate.
So you wouldn’t place most re-theming decisions into top 10 worst.

That’s fair.

I’ll make an exception for splash.

This is easy top 10 worst.

EASY.

Splash4eva

They are replacing a ride that was a classic & wasting money that could have been spent elsewhere…

James Alucobond

They are replacing a ride that was a classic & wasting money that could have been spent elsewhere…
As if they don't "waste" hundreds of millions everywhere on even worse wholly unnecessary changes. Again, I am not saying that people can't be upset about it, just that it's a bit dramatic to rank this among the worst decisions ever, though I should probably just leave it at that given the fact that people obviously feel very strongly about the ride.

Smiley/OCD

As if they don't "waste" hundreds of millions everywhere on even worse wholly unnecessary changes. Again, I am not saying that people can't be upset about it, just that it's a bit dramatic to rank this among the worst decisions ever, though I should probably just leave it at that given the fact that people obviously feel very strongly about the ride.
I think you may be right…the worst is about to close right outside HWD…

MerlinTheGoat

We still have tons of people (myself included) who gripe about the loss of Mr Toad, DL's Peoplemover, Imagination v1, Horizons, World of Motion etc. The idea that Splash will be any different is absurd. Splash was also far more popular than any of those other examples too, and there's a vast crowd of younger audiences who will remember it and have access to decent quality recordings of it.

The only thing that would nullify some of this backlash is if Tiana is of similar quality to Splash. Something that has almost zero chances of happening. I don't expect it to come close either. Even IF the desire and budget is there, WDI doesn't have the talent to pull it off.

James Alucobond

We still have tons of people (myself included) who gripe about the loss of Mr Toad, DL's Peoplemover, Imagination v1, Horizons, World of Motion etc. The idea that Splash will be any different is absurd. Splash was also far more popular than any of those other examples too, and there's a vast crowd of younger audiences who will remember it and have access to decent quality recordings of it.
Everything lost is missed, even moreso if it doesn't get replaced or what replaces it is especially disappointing. But maybe let this one play out first? Not directed at you in particular as I know you are letting it play out.

Disstevefan1

Pixie dust logic.

As for the real reason of cost savings, while yes, its a costly re theme, but consider that all the technology in Splash was very old, maybe they had no more spare parts, many replacement parts perhaps needed to be custom made, very costly, perhaps they lost all institutional knowledge needed to maintain the very old Splash technology etc. Who knows, maybe there are accounting tricks because this is entire project is cost reduction maintenance.

I am guessing Splash did not get maintained because it was simply TOO EXPENSIVE to fix and or maintain.

I am guessing Tiana's new systems and hardware will be easier to maintain, therefore will get maintained.

Last edited by a moderator:

MerlinTheGoat

Everything lost is missed, even moreso if it doesn't get replaced or what replaces it is especially disappointing. But maybe let this one play out first? Not directed at you in particular as I know you are letting it play out.
I am letting it play out. But honestly, how many times are we going to go through this cycle again and again before we say no more and stop giving them the benefit of doubt? The most reasonable and educated assumption IS that they're going to screw this up, and many of the warning signs are already present. It's Disney's job to prove people otherwise, they have not earned any better than extreme doubt and pessimism.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
As for the real reason of cost savings, while yes, its a costly re theme, but consider that all the technology in Splash was very old, maybe they had no more spare parts, many replacement parts perhaps needed to be custom made, very costly, perhaps they lost all institutional knowledge needed to maintain the very old Splash technology etc. Who knows, maybe there are accounting tricks because this is entire project is cost reduction maintenance.

I am guessing Splash did not get maintained because it was simply TOO EXPENSIVE to fix and or maintain.

I am guessing Tiana's new systems and hardware will be easier to maintain, therefore will get maintained.
Here's what happened, according to some insiders on this thread:
  1. Tiana retheme had been "Blue Sky" for a long time with no real details.
  2. 2020 happens and a very cheap (with lots of screens) retheme is announced ahead of it actually being ready. "Killing two birds with one stone." Cheapness is probably why it was approved, because Cheapek. The cultural moment is the other reason.
  3. Backlash to the announcement takes management by surprise, so the budget is gradually increased with money taken from cancelled Epcot projects.
  4. Now, they're promising the moon. Will it actually be less money to operate? Maybe. But if it's as good as some people believe it will be, it ought to cost more!

Last edited by a moderator:

Splash4eva

This is where ill disagree…. Who cares how it plays out. We removed an attraction that needed tlc not removal. Even if this overly is good. It could have gone elsewhere. Prime example. I loved the GMR and i think MMRR is an excellent ride. But that doesnt mean it should have replaced it. Especially with all the capacity issues they have

MerlinTheGoat

Here was my thinking from the moment they announced the re theme of Splash.

I thought real reason in the inside was COST SAVINGS. And t to the outside world it was social justice.

The can kill two birds with one stone; cost savings and social justice.

Saving money on maintenance costs was certainly the intent early on when the project was announced. It was going to see a mass removal of animatronics and be almost purely video based outside of maybe a few new ones in the quantity of single digits or teens at most (probably face projected). The price tag was in the ballpark of $30-$40 million. However, they definitely gave up on that idea. The budget is much higher now. By how much, I don't know, but I know it's substantially more than it was. Demolition alone has ended up costing them the same amount as that originally proposed budget.

I still doubt it will have nearly as many AA's as Splash, but it still seems like it'll have a much larger number than anything they've built in the past few decades. Unless the art that they've released thus far is extremely deceptive even for Disney standards (something I won't discount as a possibility, despite what I was told).

Several of the figures are also going to be a lot more pricey than Splash's, both costly to build and also to maintain in the long term. While age can be a factor with older figures, their relative simplicity may also be a blessing. It can be easier to procure parts for them and also get them fixed in a more timely and cheaper manner. Potentially anyway. Despite there only being a relatively small number of figures in rides like Navi River or Rise of the Resistance, the figures are very advanced and frequently break down. Sometimes for extensive periods of time. Splash's old AA's break down as well, but it's commonly a case where they'll only lose partial movement and can still operate in some capacity (not that they should be neglected like that of course). And considering their sheer quantity, they seem somewhat more reliable at times than their small handful of state of the art figures.

They're not changing the existing track, so maintenance/parts on thost mechanical aspects are still going to cost the same as ever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom