News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

mickEblu

I don't have any information about what they're doing to the scenery aside from the art they've released, so I can't comment either way on the riverboat's fate. All I can say is that it seems like a really pointless, wasteful and just outright baffling decision to get rid of it. There's literally no good reason, it fits a Tiana ride even better than a Song of the South ride (riverboats are actually prominently featured multiple times in PATF, whereas there aren't actually any in the original SOTS).

The claims about the animatronics from the finale also seem a bit dubious to me. Not based on anything I was told either, but just the sparse bit of media Disney has put out about the ride thus far. If the ride was likely going to be generally sparse of AA's, then I would be more inclined to believe the claim that the finale would receive such a drastic reduction. The thing is that there's some decently strong indication that the ride will still have plenty of AA's in the other scenes.

The most recent piece of art they released late last year for WDW's variant showed the first interior scene right after Slippin Falls. This scene has 8 animatronics in Splash. The art for Tiana shows 11 figures by comparison, an increase over Splash if accurate.

Fxi6w3naAAAHq_i

In another somewhat older piece of art for the Disneyland variant, there's what appears to be at least 5 figures that are likely to be AA's in the foreground, and 7 silhouettes of other animals in the background. Keep in mind that unlike WDW, Disneyland's version does not have walls separating the scenes. You can see a lot of the scenes and AA's through other scenes as you're floating along the flume. So personally, i'm inclined to believe that those background silhouettes are supposed to be animatronics, not just flat images painted or projected onto the walls. You can also spot the old hanging Splash possums overhead as well. The only thing is I'm not sure WHERE in the ride this art is supposed to be (if it's even supposed to be somewhere specific), possibly the scene where Brer Bear is trapped in a rope.

BI7575765675765.jpg

If any of this art is remotely accurate to the quantity of the animatronics, then it wouldn't make any sense for the finale to only have 6. Even if the riverboat is removed, it'll still be the largest room in the ride and will no doubt be festive in nature. It makes no logical sense why it would have such a piddling amount of figures if the rest of the scenes have so many.

I think the problem many of us have, including myself, is that we keep forgetting (no matter how many times they show us) that this isn’t the old Disney. We got used to and fell in love with the Disney difference throughout the decades but they’ve thrown out the rule book and it’s why many Disney parks fans are angry, sad and confused. Much of what they do these days makes no sense.

Last edited:

Homemade Imagineering

IMG_1751.jpeg
Not sure whether this image has been brought up in the conversational already, but if this is accurate beyond what I believe to be an inspirational piece rather than concrete art depicting the attraction, this could represent said finale. Minus the fact there appears to be more than 6 supposed AAs, this resembles some sort of finale scene.

Brer Panther

Remember when everybody was saying they would probably keep the riverboat? Yeah...
You can sort of compare this to the ballroom finale from Tokyo's Beauty and the Beast ride. That room seems somewhat similar in size to Splash's finale, and with much larger ride vehicles that fill most of the space. It also contains the largest quantity of figures in the ride. However, there are still only 7 figures in the scene. They're advanced A1000's, but the sparseness negatively impacts the scene (especially compared to the movie scene that has tons of guests present). Despite the overly large vehicles hogging the ballroom.

As I mentioned, Tokyo's Beauty and the Beast ride still suffers from this (though to a slightly lesser degree than usual).
Your comparisons to Tokyo's Beauty and the Beast ride are pretty spot-on. I have the feeling this will be the log flume equivalent of that - great animatronics, no substance.

solidyne

The placemaking and sets within the ride are going to be top notch. What I'm most curious about is the soundtrack. It can be the determining factor between the ride being great but just missing something, or an instant classic. I think.
This is a major point. Not only will the compositional quality of the songs and surrounding soundtrack make a difference, but also the spacial implementation in (purported) AAs may make or break the attraction.
I’m not sure why everyone is surprised that they’re ditching the riverboat. Keeping it would have been a very prominent reminder of Splash.
True, but isn't the drop itself a prominent reminder? The track, the placement, the caverns, etc., all are prominent reminders.

Bocabear

Does it really matter if they kept the best set piece in the whole ride and repopulated it with new characters? Actually to do so would probably mean building a whole new boat....which would be fine too... but the attraction should have a riverboat in it somewhere as it does feature in the film in multiple scenes.

Disstevefan1

Not to say this is correct, but Disney does indeed use rudimentary cgi ride through to help with the design process. And sometimes they're released publicly. 7DMT had one, as did Tony Baxter's canned Little Mermaid ride from the early 90s. I was told one exists for Tiana as well.

Oh boy, I hope the Tiana's CGI ride thru leaks!!! 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍

Bocabear

If WDW wants to totally reset the ride, they need to remove as much of the vestiges of SM as possible. If the riverboat remains, it will serve as an ongoing reminder of the past.

Kind of like pulling down statues. If you remove a statue, then the historical events didn't happen.
yes....but they are not trying to wipe it out of existence, just change it to fit with the current times...or so they say. everyone in the world knows that they are re-doing a very popular and well loved ride...so reusing some of the set pieces would be no surprise, nor would they bring up bad memories for anyone.... Bur...I am sure the style and art direction on the new ride is going to be radically different than the beautiful cartoon-bright and cheerful sets of Splash...

MerlinTheGoat

They can't purge everything about Splash without demolishing the entire structure. Plus there will still be intentional references. The hanging possums are staying, and I expect other elements from America Sings as well. I don't know why they'd bother demolishing the riverboat, which again is more fitting with PATF than SOTS anyway. There was no riverboat in SOTS, whereas it's a prominent part of many PATF scenes.

LittleBuford

They can't purge everything about Splash without demolishing the entire structure. Plus there will still be intentional references. The hanging possums are staying, and I expect other elements from America Sings as well. I don't know why they'd bother demolishing the riverboat, which again is more fitting with PATF than SOTS anyway.
It’s the iconic finale. Keeping individual minor characters is one thing, but leaving the ride’s sendoff essentially unchanged is quite another. Again, I don’t understand why people are surprised that the boat is going.

MerlinTheGoat

It’s the iconic finale. Keeping individual minor characters is one thing, but leaving the ride’s sendoff essentially unchanged is quite another. Again, I don’t understand why people are surprised that the boat is going.
There aren't even any Brer characters on the boat. The point of this ride is to purge SOTS, pretty much nothing about the riverboat evokes that film or it's characters. There was never a riverboat in that film. Whereas a riverboat fits perfectly with PATF. The decapitated mountain however is always going to be associated directly with SOTS.

Vegas Disney Fan

I‘m getting the feeling this is going to end up like he Navi River ride at AK, vibrant nature sets with screened areas to extend the scene and a few very impressive animatronics.

Fortunately they are using an existing ride with a long layout because the major downside of Navi is it’s too short.

It would change the overall feeling of the ride from a thrill ride to a slow boat ride but I think that’s what Disney wants.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom