News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

MerlinTheGoat

I‘m getting the feeling this is going to end up like he Navi River ride at AK, vibrant nature sets with screened areas to extend the scene and a few very impressive animatronics.

Fortunately they are using an existing ride with a long layout because the major downside of Navi is it’s too short.

It would change the overall feeling of the ride from a thrill ride to a slow boat ride but I think that’s what Disney wants.
Navi only has one single animatronic (the shaman, the warrior at the beginning is a static face projected mannequin and the rest is purely flat projection). Tiana will at least have multiple dozen. That much we know for sure. The art has shown scenes with more animatronics than Splash had in those same spaces. That's why I'm skeptical of that Twitter claim about the finale only having 6, when even the first scene shows 11. It makes little sense to me for the finale to have fewer than the others.

LittleBuford

There aren't even any Brer characters on the boat. The point of this ride is to purge SOTS, pretty much nothing about the riverboat evokes that film or it's characters. There was never a riverboat in that film. Whereas a riverboat fits perfectly with PATF. The decapitated mountain however is always going to be associated directly with SOTS.
I’m not talking about purges or anything nearly that dramatic. I simply mean they’re trying to create a brand-new ride with its own feel. It’s no surprise to me that they’re going for an entirely different finale.

Disney Analyst

I’m not talking about purges or anything nearly that dramatic. I simply mean they’re trying to create a brand-new ride with its own feel. It’s no surprise to me that they’re going for an entirely different finale.

And you gotta figure if they left the boat, similar voices on here would be like "SEE, they cheaped out! Didn't even change out the finale".

Bocabear

You know, as much as I loved Splash Mountain, I’ve always rooted for the retheme to be a success but they’ve been so stupid and careless about this whole thing that I am now officially rooting for them to fail. Just for the 2% chance that a lesson can be learned from all this.
problem with that thinking is assuming there will be a lesson learned.... I think today's Disney is less concerned about failures as they seem to happen a lot more often... they eventually move on to something else or just leave it and stop talking about it.
The ride really can't be a failure...at the worst, people will like the old version better but it will still be mobbed...The overall structure and design of the ride system will always be great...the rest is storytelling and set dressing.
I am sure they will do a decent job... just won't be what it was....

Disstevefan1

I have said it before and I will say it again, when this reopens, it will BE MOBBED, (guaranteed a virtual queue) because its NEW and folks are starved for NEW things.

Then after the newness wares off, it will be as popular as before because it's a fun log flume ride.

If they do the ultimate in stupidity and mess with the original ride track to make it more "inclusive", all bets are off.

mickEblu

problem with that thinking is assuming there will be a lesson learned.... I think today's Disney is less concerned about failures as they seem to happen a lot more often... they eventually move on to something else or just leave it and stop talking about it.
The ride really can't be a failure...at the worst, people will like the old version better but it will still be mobbed...The overall structure and design of the ride system will always be great...the rest is storytelling and set dressing.
I am sure they will do a decent job... just won't be what it was....

Yeah I know. I’ve literally said everything you’ve said above in various posts through the last few years. Splash’s bones are so good it can’t fail per say but it has the opportunity to be showstopper or it could be a sad reminder of once was that doesn’t move the needle and perhaps becomes the last straw for many people on the fence.

Disstevefan1

Indeed. Every new piece of information occasions anger and derision, regardless of what it is.
TrollWDW.gif

Disney Analyst

I mean, that's not far off! It's a frenzy of doom and gloom here, and that's on a good day.

That's the internet in general. People live off doom. Doom scrolling. Rage farming. It seems to be manys only thrill in life.

If they do the ultimate in stupidity and mess with the original ride track to make it more "inclusive", all bets are off.

There is nothing being done to the ride track, as far any insider has stated. Ride stays the same, new interior / scenes / AAs.

MerlinTheGoat

And you gotta figure if they left the boat, similar voices on here would be like "SEE, they cheaped out! Didn't even change out the finale".
Cheapening out is decapitating the mountain and not putting anything on top to replace it. Or reducing the AA population, or substituting physical props with video screens. Or not building a new ride that can better stand on its own merits and meaningfully expands park capacity.

Once this retheme became an inevitably though, many of us entered the bargaining phase and hoped it would at least reopen as similar to Splash as possible, within reason. Removing the riverboat is out of that scope of reason, it was an element that does not and should not be removed because it fits Tiana perfectly, better than it did for SOTS. it is simply wasteful and foolish. Throwing away resources that would have been better spent elsewhere. And will probably guarantee the finale will be of lower quality.

Disney Analyst

Cheapening out is decapitating the mountain and not putting anything on top to replace it. Or reducing the AA population, or substituting physical props with video screens. Or not building a new ride that can better stand on its own merits and meaningfully expands park capacity.

Once this retheme became an inevitably though, many of us entered the bargaining phase and hoped it would at least reopen as similar to Splash as possible, within reason. Removing the riverboat is out of that scope of reason, it was an element that does not and should not be removed because it fits Tiana perfectly, better than it did for SOTS. it is simply wasteful and foolish. Throwing away resources that would have been better spent elsewhere. And will probably guarantee the finale will be of lower quality.

I didn't know you could see the future. I also didn't know keeping the old riverboat prop was the only thing spelling this re-theme from full disaster.

Well now that it's a total wash, and the world is officially ending, I guess we won't see you in the queue?

mickEblu

I have said it before and I will say it again, when this reopens, it will BE MOBBED, (guaranteed a virtual queue) because its NEW and folks are starved for NEW things.

Then after the newness wares off, it will be as popular as before because it's a fun log flume ride.

I don’t think anyone disagrees with your first two paragraphs. There is a culture war going on in this country and Disney is not immune. If they don’t knock it out of the park with Tiana, people will be reminded of how and why we lost a classic attraction. Replacing the riverboat finale (if true) with Tiana’s palace and 6 AAs is not it. It would feel so empty regardless of how good the 6 AAs are.

They are stupid enough to mess with the ride track but fortunately they re losing their @$$ right now and can’t afford it.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Do we know if the new animatronics will be like the (amazing) Beauty and the Beast ones? I was watching a video of 7 dwarfs and am praying the projected faces trend has ended, they just never look right.

Bocabear

The style of the finale riverboat is very different from the riverboat style from the P&TF movie... I can understand them changing it for that reason... I am hoping it will have a riverboat in it somewhere... If it doesn't it doesn't, I guess.
I am in the final phase of DABDA...lol now at Acceptance.
doesn't mean I am happy about it...but I can accept and be hopeful....

TheMaxRebo

Do we know if the new animatronics will be like the (amazing) Beauty and the Beast ones? I was watching a video of 7 dwarfs and am praying the projected faces trend has ended, they just never look right.

everything I have seen is they will be the higher end ones - whether that good or as good as the River Journey Shamen, not sure but they are the A1000 or whatever

obviously speculation at least some of them will be like the BatB ones given the concept art for Tiana is in a very similar pose holding a lantern to one of the Belle AAs in BatB

And seems like Disney is done with the projection faces - the Frozen Ride in Hong Kong is using regulat physical moving faces and haven't seen any of the projection ones in a while

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom