News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

yensidtlaw1969

Now that’s tacky. I’m glad it’s relatively inconspicuous.

Related - it seems like the quote is meant to be visble to guests as the logs float around the corner on the upper level of the flume.

PREMiERdrum

Notice also the Lily Pads and Lotuses throughout the architectural elements - even in the wrought iron railings. A lotus-shaped wrought iron Tiara to jazz up an existing piece of infrastructure seems pretty consistent with how the character would do things.
Tiana has a pretty obvious affinity for Art Nouveau style, which affords some some fun interplay with more traditional New Orleans wrought iron work. Plenty won't like the implementation, but from an art direction perspective it's quite appropriate.

matt9112

In fairness, it's not exactly out of character for the woman who redecorated an old sugar mill to look like a Riverboat. A Tiara on the water tower fits pretty squarely in Tiana's known sensibilities, whether we like how it looks or not:

View attachment 726762

Nothing about this project needs to be realistic even in the sense of a realistic decision she may or may not make. We know that there is a lot of liberty taken with things. It’s impossible to drill down and make something super realistic. We need fantasy and make believe. The parks are an escape from reality. Not an expensive place to see reality with rides.

In this case although I agree with you that she probably would be okay being this flamboyant with the decor of the water tower. Creative liberty for maintaining thematic cohesion within this area of the park should have taken precedence. Cherry picking plausibility and reality is something imagineering does and HAS to do to an extent. This was a poor spend of that capital.

LittleBuford

I have no problem with the words or sentiment; it's the look of the inscription I object to. It has the same stencil-generated-from-a-Word-printout aesthetic as the spice-cart inscriptions at the Morocco pavilion.

harrisonm

More decor being added to the rocks, looks like the water tower came pre-installed with some already
Fzoh2KvX0AEAQQR.jpg

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member

Related - it seems like the quote is meant to be visble to guests as the logs float around the corner on the upper level of the flume.
My theory is it's supposed to draw riders eyes away from the drop as you make the first two loops around the mountain

matt9112

Tiana has a pretty obvious affinity for Art Nouveau style, which affords some some fun interplay with more traditional New Orleans wrought iron work. Plenty won't like the implementation, but from an art direction perspective it's quite appropriate.

If the surrounding area was New Orleans I would agree. If the tiara did not seem to wreck forced prospective. Granted I guess this is any easy way to make the mountain small and accessible. But that doesn’t really justify the decision. The surrounding area is not New Orleans and even if they did redo the general area (from pico bills to big thunder) than big thunder would be a massive incoherence. Granted you might argue that big thunder isn’t long for this world. I would say that’s a possibility with the beyond thunder mountain talk HOWEVER Disney's track record of redoing things and retrheming them isn’t great in my opinion.

There’s a lush Polynesian water/trail thing in the center of Epcot center for example.

Incomudro

The whole thing is terrible...especially the "Tiana's Foods" logo. Whoever dreamed up this backstory for the ride should have been sacked.
It sounds unimaginative and joyless. No one wants to visit an "Employee Owned Foods Factory" ride. Visiting her beautiful dream restaurant after the ride would have been a must-do, but this corporatization twist in the storyline for the ride makes no sense and really ruins the simple sweetness of the story and characters. Maybe it will be like Tokyo Disney Sea's Sinbad attraction...and after a year, they will go back and make it a sweet magical adventure without the contorted food factory storyline.
I can't wait for Cinderella's Employee Owned Shoe Factory & Sweatshop ride!
"Foods" is just awful.
It sounds bad.
It would have been better had they skipped the food conglomerate thing and stuck with the restaurant.
"Tiana's Place" would have been nice.

Last edited:

matt9112

My theory is it's supposed to draw riders eyes away from the drop as you make the first two loops around the mountain

Possible however I don’t buy the demographic shift in the rides appeal that has been talked about…. A ride filled with cute cartoon like animals and a catchy song doesn’t seem to be any less for kids than a princess is. The height requirement already is low enough and is unlikely to change. The drop will still be there. In fact splash mountain made a point of having signs and such indicating the large drop from a transparency as well as marketing prospective. Not sure if guests being utterly surprised and upset the drop exists is a better option. IF you somehow made the drop ignorable when approaching and waiting for the attraction.

Maybe they can hide the screams too?

Incomudro

Really like it!

Out front, away from the hill a bit more than I was expecting - as mentioned I think it helps reduce the size of the mountain

Nice to see progress and this didn't sit backstage for a month or anything
Reducing the visual size perspective of the mountain is a terrible route.
Part of the fun of Splash - and it should be the fun of Tiana's - is the slight sense of intimidation, and big sense of fun that the structure implies.
Just like space Mountain, just like Big Thunder, just like Expedition Everest.

Sir_Cliff

I have no problem with the words or sentiment; it's the look of the inscription I object to. It has the same stencil-generated-from-a-Word-printout aesthetic as the spice-cart inscriptions at the Morocco pavilion.
Just for comparison, I'm kind of interested to look at how they handled painted text in the original Splash. Interesting to know whether they look more authentic and, if so, why that is:

1687876555320.png

1687876646197.png

PREMiERdrum

If the surrounding area was New Orleans I would agree. If the tiara did not seem to wreck forced prospective. Granted I guess this is any easy way to make the mountain small and accessible. But that doesn’t really justify the decision. The surrounding area is not New Orleans and even if they did redo the general area (from pico bills to big thunder) than big thunder would be a massive incoherence. Granted you might argue that big thunder isn’t long for this world. I would say that’s a possibility with the beyond thunder mountain talk HOWEVER Disney's track record of redoing things and retrheming them isn’t great in my opinion.

There’s a lush Polynesian water/trail thing in the center of Epcot center for example.
This is correct.

However, the same issue existed with Splash as well - the deep south is a far cry from the old west. We just didn't care because we grew up with it that way. If all goes as I think it will, the ride will fit its surroundings much better in the near future.

TheMaxRebo

Reducing the visual size perspective of the mountain is a terrible route.
Part of the fun of Splash - and it should be the fun of Tiana's - is the slight sense of intimidation, and big sense of fun that the structure implies.
Just like space Mountain, just like Big Thunder, just like Expedition Everest.
I get that and agree from a ride experience perspective.... But also seen a lot of chatter about how no mountains in Louisiana so then making the hill look lower makes sense thematically

retr0gate

I like the Tiara more than I thought I would. Initially I was disappointed that we didn't get the one depicted in the WDW render, as I think it would've added some distinction between this one + the Disneyland one, but ultimately, I think the simplicity of this design works. Forgetting it's a tiara entirely, the lotus design is a nice embellishment and compliments the whimsy of the Splash structure nicely. I'd imagine it'll look even better once more "natural" elements are added to the facade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom