News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

yensidtlaw1969

30 people already have. You’re not missing it, you’re not recognizing it because you don’t agree with it.
Considering you won't even be clear about what point it is you think I'm missing, I'm starting to think you maybe don't even have one. Except to be dismissive.

People are choosing to make a big deal out of little bits of information that are very obviously just going to be small things scattered throughout the ride. Maybe somewhere in the background we'll see a shadowbox with a Purple Heart that James was awarded. But if we both agree it's obvious that stuff won't be any sort of bigger deal in the greater scope of the ride then I'm not sure what you're confused about.

You seem to think this stuff is either getting outsided attention upfront in the announcements or will be getting outsized attention in the finished ride . . . I can almost get feeling the former, but it washes away pretty easily when you realize the latter is just not likely at all.

But if that's not the case then yeah, feel free to clarify.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

Yep. Don’t like that either.
There's a porcupine drummer in Splash Mountain. His drumsticks are different depending on the version. At Disneyland, there were nubs on the end. But at WDW, they were changed to tree branches with no nub at the end.
2862266560_8cfe7f0fc7_b.jpg

4050092715_987a6177b4_z.jpg

It doesn't seem like those drumsticks are unheard of in real life. Looking at a list of pictures of famous jazz drummers, they were used fairly often.

roy-haynes.jpg

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
There's a porcupine drummer in Splash Mountain. His drumsticks are different depending on the version. At Disneyland, there were nubs on the end. But at WDW, they were changed to tree branches with no nub at the end.

It doesn't seem like those drumsticks are unheard of in real life. Looking at a list of pictures of famous jazz drummers, they were used fairly often.

roy-haynes.jpg
Guess we know which animatronic is being reskinned to Ralphie

Buried20KLeague

roy-haynes.jpg

Oh I had no problem with those.

Sticks with huge tips aren’t even remotely played on set. Rarely they’re used on tympani. But 95% of the time those have felt ends.

The only tune that sticks out that I used solid ball tip sticks on tympani was Mars.

Buried20KLeague

Considering you won't even be clear about what point it is you think I'm missing, I'm starting to think you maybe don't even have one. Except to be dismissive.

People are choosing to make a big deal out of little bits of information that are very obviously just going to be small things scattered throughout the ride. Maybe somewhere in the background we'll see a shadowbox with a Purple Heart that James was awarded. But if we both agree it's obvious that stuff won't be any sort of bigger deal in the greater scope of the ride then I'm not sure what you're confused about.

You seem to think this stuff is either getting outsided attention upfront in the announcements or will be getting outsized attention in the finished ride . . . I can almost get feeling the former, but it washes away pretty easily when you realize the latter is just not likely at all.

But if that's not the case then yeah, feel free to clarify.

My point is no different than any of the other numerous posts on the same topic. Feel free to refer to those or one of them can chime in. It doesn’t matter what I tell you…. You disagree so there’s no point.

MerlinTheGoat

So I am just going to drop this here, to clear the air as their have been rumors.

Disney Legend, and living legend Tony Baxter is not involved in this forthcoming overlay.

Officially.

😘

-
Did you ask him? I was told otherwise by someone who I know not to be a Disney PR shill. And thus far pretty much everything else they've claimed about the ride has ended up being accurate. Bob Weis was another person I was told was involved in the early planning phases.

Figments Friend

Did you ask him? I was told otherwise by someone who I know not to be a Disney PR shill. And thus far pretty much everything else they've claimed about the ride has ended up being accurate. Bob Weis was another person I was told was involved in the early planning phases.

When I have talked with him in the past, we don’t talk about ‘work’.
But I was told by a mutual friend who would have direct knowledge of the situation.

He may have been involved originally, and there was talk earlier this year of him departing the project due to differences in opinion regarding the direction it was going in.
From what I was told, that seems to be the case.

-

JoeCamel

But I was told by a mutual friend who would have direct knowledge of the situation.

He may have been involved originally, and there was talk earlier this year of him departing the project due to differences in opinion regarding the direction it was going in.

-
So nothing new?

yensidtlaw1969

My point is no different than any of the other numerous posts on the same topic. Feel free to refer to those or one of them can chime in. It doesn’t matter what I tell you…. You disagree so there’s no point.
Of the two of us, I'm the one who's posting genuine, considered breakdowns of their thoughts and contributing to the discourse instead of writing terse, thought-terminating cliches.

If you just don't want to engage then don't, but it's plenty clear that I'm here in good faith. Are you?

MerlinTheGoat

-
That doesn't line up with what I was told. The information was provided to me around late-ish 2022. And again, what Disney has since revealed about the attraction has so far lined up precisely with what I was told. I'm also quite certain that if Tony had left the project early on having been upset and in disagreement with the direction, that detail definitely would have been included in the conversation. It certainly wouldn't have been used as a point of praise for the retheme, it was used as a reason the attraction has a chance of being good (there's no faith in Charita Carter).

As I've said in the other thread, the source was extremely negative about the attraction when it was first announced (same as any of the most angry people here, they're still not happy that Splash is gone). This includes sharing the assumption most of us had that Tony wasn't actually involved and was just a PR mouthpiece. This changed when they were given a lot of first hand info about the project from people working on it. Including feedback on the new music and dialog. As well as information/photos of some of the animatronics, story and new characters.

Despite the dumb backstory they're pushing (which again i expect to be largely be contained in the queue, and subtle to absent after the first drop), the few scattered details about the actual ride do look like they have Tony's fingerprints all over.

So until Tony himself publicly confirms he left in disagreement and his ideas were thrown out (or some other person working on the retheme can confirm this), i'm erring towards believing my source for now. They've been quite accurate thus far.

Buried20KLeague

Of the two of us, I'm the one who's posting genuine, considered breakdowns of their thoughts and contributing to the discourse instead of writing terse, thought-terminating cliches.

If you just don't want to engage then don't, but it's plenty clear that I'm here in good faith. Are you?

I joined this board in 2004. That would be an awfully long game to play, no?

Let me spell it out for you. They’re going out of their way to show how inclusive the backstory is. On a log flume ride. And it’s coming off very disingenuous to a good number of people on this board. Me included. The wrong people seem to be in charge. And it’s not about politics. I have people very close to me that are celebrating this month, and I love them very much.

But the fact that they’re pointing to these sorts of ridiculous plot points in the ride isn’t just unnecessary, it’s worrying. There’s no reason for it. It seems obvious they’re going over the top to justify why this whole change is happening, and it’s eye rolling. I don’t recall, before splash opened, their need to tell us about the brer frog projection in the que to tell us about how great this attraction was going to be. They’re trying far too hard.

Don’t question me because you don’t recognize my name. I’ve been here for a very long time. There’s not much point in trying to talk you into seeing the other side, so I’m not wasting my time. What would be the point? That’s rhetorical.

yensidtlaw1969

I joined this board in 2004. That would be an awfully long game to play, no?

Let me spell it out for you. They’re going out of their way to show how inclusive the backstory is. On a log flume ride. And it’s coming off very disingenuous to a good number of people on this board. Me included. The wrong people seem to be in charge. And it’s not about politics. I have people very close to me that are celebrating this month, and I love them very much.

But the fact that they’re pointing to these sorts of ridiculous plot points in the ride isn’t just unnecessary, it’s worrying. There’s no reason for it. It seems obvious they’re going over the top to justify why this whole change is happening, and it’s eye rolling. I don’t recall, before splash opened, their need to tell us about the brer frog projection in the que to tell us about how great this attraction was going to be. They’re trying far too hard.

Don’t question me because you don’t recognize my name. I’ve been here for a very long time. There’s not much point in trying to talk you into seeing the other side, so I’m not wasting my time. What would be the point? That’s rhetorical.
I felt like it was pretty clear that I was referring to our interaction in the past several hours, and not your entire 20 year posting history . . . I've also been here since 2004, and while I think my post history in aggregate does somewhat speak for itself I also don't expect everybody to be familiar with it. I recognize your name, but I don't know you, and I certainly haven't kept track of your thoughts over 2 decades. There's value in stating the opinion you're standing by in the pertinent thread rather than expecting people to piece it together from across scattered posts if for no other reason than allowing outside parties to know what on earth any of us are talking about, but especially when the inside parties like us have shared only a handful of posts with each other. Add that this thread in particular grows pages by the day and it's even harder to keep up. That to say, I appreciate you taking the time to get clear, though I don't love your tone.

The "ridiculous" things you're referring to aren't plot points, which is basically what most of my point is - reading back the Q&A where World War 1 was brought up it was expressly stated that they're questioning how they can hint at that history in the Queue. If you think it's ridiculous for that subject to even to be on the table at that level then that's fine, though I wouldn't say I quite agree personally. These characters are inspired by real people in a real city and I don't mind them touching on the real history they could have been intertwined with. I think there *could* be room for this sort of thing, but like most things it'll come down to execution, which we simply haven't seen yet.

But yes, some other posters here have absolutely taken that piece of information out of context and suggested that show scenes might be built around it. The specific post I first responded to precisely said "The part about WW1 feels like satire. How could that possibly be conveyed on a 10 minute log ride?". Another later said "So maybe one of the show scenes is Tiana and her mother discussing her father's experience as a WWI vet? While a random person plays the saxophone in their living room?" So I definitely wasn't referring to you at all when I suggested that kind of misinterpretation was silly, but I also wasn't making things up. There are people getting their knickers in a twist over something that's not even happening, which at this point is very nearly the hallmark of the Tiana's Bayou Adventure threads.

I got several comments on my response suggesting this would probably be a newspaper clipping that could be summed up as "Why even bring that up in your press event?" To which I'd remind everybody that this was a Q&A. In context, the WW1 bit came up in response to a question about the ride time - to paraphrase (for brevity - heh), the question was essentially "How long will TBA be?" and the answer was "The same length as Splash, but we're really expanding on these character's stories in the queue to make the 'journey' last longer". And then they dropped some tidbits about what would be in the queue. So it's not like they flew directly to the Disney Parks Blog crowing about their genius "plot point" completely uninitiated, they just answered somebody's question in real time. It wasn't a prefab Press Release, it was much more off the cuff than that.

Here's the link to the Q&A so no one need dig for it: https://www.laughingplace.com/w/articles/2023/06/01/q-and-a-tianas-bayou-adventure-imagineers/

Again, YMMV about whether the involvement of a minor protagonist in WW1 should even be in the conversation for this attraction at all, and that's your right. But the context in which the topic was raised is being misrepresented to create an impression that the Imagineers are pouring tons of energy into this at the expense of the actual ride, which just isn't actually realistic or accurate to how this info came to light. I feel the need to speak up about that because that's so, so habitual in these threads about TBA, where every new piece of info comes with 8 free pages of fanfiction. It's fully possible to hang some expository newspaper articles or similar in the ride's queue and still build a great log flume - something Splash Mountain literally did.

We'll have to see if TBA does it without going overboard - and listen, I'll be mad if they don't! I want this to be great and won't pretend if they screw it up. But the histronics around every factoid both drown out the incoming info and create misinformation about what's actually being done, which leads to people sharing votes of no confidence in the creators of a ride that won't even be open for another year. It's nearly impossible to get clear on what's actually happening if only because so many people (not saying you, just people) are refusing to engage with what's actually being said. The level of bias is off the charts, and unsurprisingly it damages the discourse.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom