News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

FettFan

latest construction pics

https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/tianas-bayou-adventure/gallery/28apr2023-tiana's-bayou-adventure-construction---april-28-2023.htm

Tianas-Bayou-Adventure_Full_51582.jpg

Hm…looks familiar…

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by Jurassic World

celluloid

I don't know but I would not be surprised if the production changes to the progress or lack there of on the Tiana Disney Plus series has slowed this project down. The synergy is now wonky.

yensidtlaw1969

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
The models indicate that will indeed be the case.

d23-expo-parks-panel-tiana-bayou-adventure-concept-art-35mm-1.jpg
Seeing this concept art again, I just can't get over how the drop seems so out of place. What is even supposed to be happening? Also, the mountain is still pretty clearly a mountain in places. Other parts of it have large trees meant to reverse the forced perspective (I guess) to make the mountain/salt dome/whatever seem smaller. I just don't really get what this is supposed to be.

Roger_the_pianist

There are waterfalls in bayou areas. Bayous exist around main waterways (like uhhhhhh the Mississippi River)

I don't seem to remember a waterfall coming out of Brer Fox's stump in Song of the South, or the briar patch being in water. So I think it makes more sense around the salt mine and bayou than the original Splash Mountain.

Total side note: I was at Dollywood in Tennessee with my niece this weekend. The log flume there is Daredevil Falls (I believe it rivals Splash in height and steepness) ...the ride literally goes up an actual mountain to plunge back down. I was thinking to myself how Disney has to build any mountain they want, Dollywood just literally has rides built on to actual mountains (Dollywood is basically a giant Frontierland/Critter Country with other Victorian and 1880's elements)

yensidtlaw1969

Seeing this concept art again, I just can't get over how the drop seems so out of place. What is even supposed to be happening? Also, the mountain is still pretty clearly a mountain in places. Other parts of it have large trees meant to reverse the forced perspective (I guess) to make the mountain/salt dome/whatever seem smaller. I just don't really get what this is supposed to be.
It's literally no less intuitive than it was for Splash Mountain. The drop looks exactly the same.

celluloid

It's literally no less intuitive than it was for Splash Mountain. The drop looks exactly the same.

Water flows down mountains and foothills and through broken trees creating damns. Not so much down Salt Mounds.

The reversing the forced perspective clash is indeed odd but that will benefit those not wanting to see this as intimidating for the princess audience.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Water flows down mountains and foothills and through broken trees creating damns. Not so much down Salt Mounds.
In principle, yes, but show me one real mountain that's ever had a waterfall configured like the one in Splash. There wasn't even a waterfall on Chickapin Hill in the Song of the South movie - it's always been a feature devised out of creative license.

People are ascribing to TBA issues that have always been present in Splash, and it's petty at best.

celluloid

In principle, yes, but show me one real mountain that's ever had a waterfall configured like the one in Splash. There wasn't even a waterfall on Chickapin Hill in the Song of the South movie - it's always been a feature devised out of creative license.

People are ascribing to TBA issues that have always been present in Splash, and it's petty at best.
That's it. You could stop right there .
Moving the argument. You disagreed with the other poster but now say in principle yes. So you can stop right there. No one I saw ever said realistic. Intuitive was used by you. It is fair to say that both are log flumey. But one intuitively made sense. A dam forming in Chickapin hill made sense for its story. There is possibly a weird plot devicebut again. From the visual sight of the exterior, one is more intuitive.

You saying things are petty is just tripe. No one said a log flume hides as a waterfall. It serves the story as a waterfall. Salt dome is far more a shoehorn fit at best here when compared to the previous asthetic. Which by most Imagineering standards(most because there is always some subjectivity) is objectively the better design.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

That's it.
Moving the argument. We never said realistic. Intuitive was used by you. It is fair to say that both are log flumey. But one intuitively made sense.

You saying things are petty is just tripe.

Let's refer back to the original post, shall we?

Seeing this concept art again, I just can't get over how the drop seems so out of place. What is even supposed to be happening?
Exactly the same thing that was happening before . . . a waterfall flowing out of a mound of earth. As if it's so much more wildly impossible to imagine this kind of waterfall on a salt dome as it is to imagine it on Chickapin hill. It's no more out of place than before because the physical geography of the mountain/dome is remaining fully identical, save for the tree stump and a new paint scheme.

Also, the mountain is still pretty clearly a mountain in places. Other parts of it have large trees meant to reverse the forced perspective (I guess) to make the mountain/salt dome/whatever seem smaller. I just don't really get what this is supposed to be.
This seems like double speak - the building is still "clearly a mountain", but suddenly the exact same waterfall on the exact same edifice "seems so out of place"? It's a Salt Dome . . . with a Waterfall. A stylized one, just as it was when it was a (Ckickapin) Hill with a Waterfall.

It makes basically just as much (or, rather, as little) sense as it ever has. You're both reaching.

PS: A quick Google search reveals Salt Domes can have waterfalls form just as readily as mountains and foothills, so that point is additionally moot.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
Read again and closely if you're gonna get this heated - I was the one who introduced the word "intuitive", what they said was that "the drop seems so out of place. What is even supposed to be happening?". That point is ridiculous - It's obvious what's happening because it's the same thing that has always been happening.

You really think it's valid to say "This made perfect sense when it was an imaginary hill, but now that it's an imaginary salt dome I can't even tell what's supposed to be happening"? Come on.

Their point was not about intuitiveness, mine was - as someone who was willing to concede that waterfalls are less likely on Salt Domes than on mountains and hills (until a few minutes ago when I learned better) it seemed like a decent middle ground to start on. But now that you're trying to throw it in my face and it turns out not even to be geographically true, I'm not putting up with it.

Tiana's Bayou Adventure is just as make-believe as Splash Mountain was. Silly is a nice word for what you're being.
To quote Mark Twain in The American Adventure, "Easy now." In Splash Mountain, the drop down the waterfall was a stand-in for Brer Fox throwing us into the Briar Patch. Absent them actually flinging us through the air, a waterfall is the most appropriate way to represent this. So in TBA, they're either having the drop stand in for something else, or it will literally be a waterfall we're going down.

Whether there are waterfalls in salt mines or not, will they have a good reason for going down? Given what we know of the story so far, I tend to doubt it. I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
There are waterfalls in bayou areas. Bayous exist around main waterways (like uhhhhhh the Mississippi River)

I don't seem to remember a waterfall coming out of Brer Fox's stump in Song of the South, or the briar patch being in water. So I think it makes more sense around the salt mine and bayou than the original Splash Mountain.
My point was not about geography. See above.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom