Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I don't think the vast majority of Americans know who Uncle Remus is. He wasn't even in the log ride at Disneyland that just closed.

Is there some college class on American lit that uses his books for a bit of the curriculum? I'm sure. But that's a very tiny minority of Americans who could even describe Uncle Remus, let alone speak about his work knowledgeably for 5 minutes.

I think you just did. 🫤 But it was not big deal, just a reminder that WDI has now included the 422 people, or 0.02% of the popultion, who were of Chinese descent who lived in Louisiana in 1930 into the story of Princess Tiana's log ride. Because apparently Tiana isn't interesting enough all on her own and her story needs a little help with some zing and some excitement. Also Filipinos and Mexicans. Tiana is kind of dull all on her own, I guess? They needed some oomph for her backstory?

https://www.census.gov/library/publications/1932/dec/1930a-vol-03-population.html
The stories still haven’t disappeared, as you’ve claimed.

GoneForGood

I may be taking credit for something I didn't actually do. But, I believe I mentioned a while back that I was one of the ones who first started bringing up the origins in the Splash retheme debacle.

It wasn't brought up to infer that "Disney is removing the stories and shame on them they should leave it be."

It wasn't some thing I sat around thinking and brewing to pull a "GOTCHA" on people. (I've been accused of this.)

Brer Fans existed before June 25 2020. I've always been interested in African and African American folklore. Not just Disney's version or just Brer Rabbit.
No we don't "need" Splash. (But some do need Disney to rep for them in different ways, understood)

My personal idea in bringing it up was that they should have rather reintroduced and rethemed the ride accordingly for education's sake. Rather than acting as if their previous and widely agreed upon mistakes ever happened.

But I see now this isn't taken seriously and has been taken way out of context, laughed out of the discussion. I am also aware that this idea has been co-opted by people who really don't have the connection or truly care about that.

The attitude and discussion as a whole over the last two years has become uncomfortable and kind of gross. Disappointing.

I'll actually be sitting out now, as my name suggests. Some may be wondering why I'm even still here, but....What can I say, I'm a hard head! :banghead:

I'm not doing back and forths, you guys can enjoy yourselves.
Here's to Tiana's Bayou Adventure!

mickEblu

Something I’m also concerned about with the retheme is potential lighting changes on the indoor show scenes. I liked that DL’s Splash felt like a dark ride, whether that was originally intended or not. It certainly was never intended to be as bright as MK’s version.

yensidtlaw1969

I think the team is simply having fun with this project. It seems they want to do right by the IP and New Orleans. None of the announcements have indicated that all of these details will be in the actual ride and are essential to the general premise. They are attraction details.

PatF is personally important to me and I’m enjoying these details that are going into the attraction.
Indeed - people act as if creating a ride that makes efforts to genuinely honor the city of New Orleans couldn't possibly be fun . . . meanwhile New Orleans is famously one of the most fun cities in the world, and only somebody who's never been could possibly think that fun comes despite the history of the city and its people rather than because of it.

Trying to capture some of the spirit of the city and its history is not somehow automatically counter to making a hugely entertaining attraction.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Indeed - people act as if creating a ride that makes efforts to genuinely honor the city of New Orleans couldn't possibly be fun . . . meanwhile New Orleans is famously one of the most fun cities in the world, and only somebody who's never been could possibly think that fun comes despite the history of the city and its people rather than because of it.

Trying to capture some of the spirit of the city and its history is not somehow automatically counter to making a hugely entertaining attraction.
Yes, agreed, especially your last sentence. I don’t see the correlation between putting in extra details and a terrible attraction here.

We’ve been praising all the details in MMRR for the last few months, mind you, details that didn’t need to be included.

Suspirian

Pooh never made sense in an American Critter Country.

I think that most of the inclusions they are mentioning will fly right past people in line or on the relatively fast moving ride. When I am in queues with backstories and details I love to examine everything but I rarely see anyone else doing it.

Perhaps those who love the flume but not the retheme can do what I do on Space when I play my preferred Dick Dale version. They can listen to the old soundtrack.
I always thought it was kinda funny how rigid people are with what Critter Country could be and take place when Adventureland and Fantasyland are an amalgamation of like 5 different countries.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member

The only good thing about any ride closure, a Martin tribute.
Capture.PNG

Interesting that originally the logs were supposed to have Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear heads on them instead of just Br'er Rabbit

Last edited:

Rich T

I always thought it was kinda funny how rigid people are with what Critter Country could be and take place when Adventureland and Fantasyland are an amalgamation of like 5 different countries.
As someone who dearly loved the perfect, quiet, relaxed feeling of Bear Country, the Critter Country transformation has always seemed gross, despite the great designs around Splash Mtn. When they destroyed both beautiful AA theaters to install a weak, clunky C-ticket dark ride, Critter Country became my least favorite pocket of merchandising on the planet. The only two things about the Pooh ride that aren’t underwhelming are the queue music loop and the details in the candy shop.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

As someone who dearly loved the perfect, quiet, relaxed feeling of Bear Country, the Critter Country transformation has always seemed gross, despite the great designs around Splash Mtn. When they destroyed both beautiful AA theaters to install a weak, clunky C-ticket dark ride, Critter Country became my least favorite pocket of merchandising on the planet. The only two things about the Pooh ride that aren’t underwhelming are the queue music loop and the details in the candy shop.
I don't think anyone likes the Pooh ride. It has some of the shortest lines in the park and even when Splash Mountain's lines were exceedingly long its still short.

BagOfGroceries

I like Pooh at WDW, even though it replaced the arguably superior Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. It does a better job of telling the story of the Blustery Day, hits all the story beats, and is finished in a nice and cohesive matter. Hunny Hunt still looks better.
Speaking of Pooh, Splash’s closure does make me wonder what the Mr. Toad movement would have been like in the age of Social Media. And even the inverse.

Kirby86

Speaking of Pooh, Splash’s closure does make me wonder what the Mr. Toad movement would have been like in the age of Social Media. And even the inverse.
It would probably be similar except you wouldn't have Mr. Toad fans being called racists like some Splash Fans were. And the term Woke wouldn't have been shouted every 5 seconds at people who would be excited for the replacement ride.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
So I am just going to drop this here, as there have been rumors and talk about this in the past.

Remember back when Disney announced this change a few years ago, Tony Baxter’s name was attached to the overlay project?
Well, that was then….this is now.

Tony is not involved in the retheme, or this project.
Officially.

😘

-
Nothing about this project or what we know about it so far smells Baxter. Disney was very quick to name drop him as being attached because they wanted to alleviate concern amongst the fans and look like they had concern over reskinning one of his classic attractions.

I would go so far to guess that he and the team didn't gel creatively and he bowed out gracefully (because that's the type of class Tony has) and they moved forward with the direction they wanted to go. They may have picked his brain at the beginning using his expertise on attractions and the mechanics and pacing behind them, but nothing more.

Tony was trained under Claude Coats. He's all about the classic Disney way of doing things and based on interviews and podcasts he was never a major fan of storyline-driven attractions.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So I am just going to drop this here, as there have been rumors and talk about this in the past.

Remember back when Disney announced this change a few years ago, Tony Baxter’s name was attached to the overlay project?
Well, that was then….this is now.

Tony is not involved in the retheme, or this project.
Officially.

😘

-
We're seeing an awful lot of and from Baxter for someone supposedly officially divorced from the project. He's certainly not publicly disavowing himself from it on social media.

Unless there's a more reliable source, this smells of someone not happy with the overlay engaging in a whisper campaign.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom