Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Midwest Elitist

There will likely never be another generation like them, I'm afraid.
Nah man, it's not the generation. The modern system is doing this on purpose. Notice how every company these days is shredding anything colorful or whimsy about their past (minimalism is a cancer)? They don't want genuinely creative people: only what sells $$$. That's an argument to be had in some other way, but there are absolutely people in my generation that have  fantastic ideas. Hell, some are here on Magic. But creative people like that will never have any power, because first and foremost, it doesn't guarantee the most amount of $$$.

Disney needs a creative, goofy, charming person at the helm. That's when they had the most success.

CaptinEO

Just to make sure I understand you, because the plethora of details in MMRR weren’t shared in blog posts, they are acceptable? The details being put into TBA aren’t acceptable because they are being shared before the attraction opens. Is that what you’re saying?

I would argue that Disney’s different approach with this attraction clearly stems from how it came to be. They are trying to prove themselves by sharing that they’re doing their homework and putting effort into the ride that is replacing the one that is based on a racist Disney movie, but was iconic and a mega fan attraction. The removal of Splash is a very big deal, and they know this. This isn’t like the removal of ToT. To me, it’s very obvious what they’re trying to accomplish and do by sharing tidbits. Instead of getting upset/worked up/angry/whatever other negative feeling, I’m going to sit back and see if they can and will prove themselves with Tiana and fix the mistake of using SotS for inspiration for its predecessor. What they’ve shared so far is not personally concerning, but I’m aware it’s different for many others.

Disneyland fans get stuck on the past waaaayyyyy too much. I used to do this myself. The past is gone. Things have changed and they will most likely never go back to the way they were. Yes, the original way Imagineers designed and went about things was arguably better. But, many of them are gone now and that way of going about creating new attractions is now gone. It hasn’t been the same for many, many years. It’s the same thing with the current conversation about Tony Baxter. I don’t understand why some fans are/were banking on him to be heavily involved in this attraction when he retired a decade ago. He’s been a consultant, but the man is no longer doing what he used to do. He is retired.

Many Disneyland fans get caught in this never-ending cycle of wishing for the way things were done before, even wishing for blog posts to contain certain information, over and over and over again, and yet will STILL buy tickets and passes and go to the parks. Fans who do this will NEVER be satisfied, but, somehow, make their way down Main Street every year, sometimes multiple times per year. If you’re still going to go to the parks regardless, let this stuff go, for the love of God. What is the point of being upset with Disney’s choices, and rightfully so (sometimes), if you’re still going to plan to walk through the gates over and over again? And we all know Disney is well aware of this behavior. This is partially why they don’t care, because they know even the biggest traditionalist will still hand over their money. Disneyland fans talk, but can’t walk.

If you’re not going to walk, then why talk so much, especially if you know things aren’t going to change? Disneyland will continue to make big changes as time passes on. You either mentally prepare for whatever changes come our way, understand that you can’t do anything about them, enjoy yourself regardless and still go, or you choose to continue wishing for something that will never be and get stuck in the same cycle of never-ending complaining…and yet, still go (that option makes no sense to me, personally).

This isn’t directed towards you, by the way.

One more thing, how can you be sure the queue music will be good if you haven’t heard it yet?
If the only goal of these blog posts and the ride in general is to undo Song of the South then I guess they are accomplishing that goal. If it is to get the general public excited about a new attraction they are failing.

I'm a themepark fan and even if this was a brand new ride not replacing Splash I would find all these details irrelevant at best and cringey at worst.

Again it could be a leftover from the Eisner era where he attended a writing workshop and mandated all rides and shops had intricate backstories.

These seem like internal design details/documents that are somehow sent out as PR statements.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
If the only goal of these blog posts and the ride in general is to undo Song of the South then I guess they are accomplishing that goal. If it is to get the general public excited about a new attraction they are failing.

I'm a themepark fan and even if this was a brand new ride not replacing Splash I would find all these details irrelevant at best and cringey at worst.

Again it could be a leftover from the Eisner era where he attended a writing workshop and mandated all rides and shops had intricate backstories.

These seem like internal design details/documents that are somehow sent out as PR statements.
That’s not the only goal of the blog posts.

They’re failing for you, personally, but they’re not failing overall because there are plenty of people who are excited and getting more and more excited with each post.
IMG_3665.jpeg

IMG_3666.jpeg

You already find them cringey and irrelevant, right?

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I'm actually more concerned that the lead Imagineer for this Tiana's Bayou Adventure project started their career as an accountant, and has apparently had no formal training in art or design. Looking at her own Linkedin page and WDI career, after earning an accounting degree and starting in accounting for other firms, she eventually moved to WDI as an accountant and evolved from WDI accounting then to WDI finance management then to WDI project management and then last year she was christened a "Executive Creative Producer" and was put in charge of re-theming a log ride?

The only college degree she holds, according to her LinkedIn, is a Bachelors in Accounting from Cal State Northridge (Go Matadors!) She has no formal training in arts or design or engineering, apparently. Or at least none she wants us to know about.

I don't get that career progression. Do you?

I suppose there could be some licensed accountant staring at financial spreadsheets all day who longs to draw and paint and create and make robot chickens sing. But it seems unlikely. How many other accountants has WDI moved into executive creative roles, I wonder?
Are you aware of exactly what her duties are in her role?

Consumer

Nah man, it's not the generation. The modern system is doing this on purpose. Notice how every company these days is shredding anything colorful or whimsy about their past (minimalism is a cancer)? They don't want genuinely creative people: only what sells $$$. That's an argument to be had in some other way, but there are absolutely people in my generation that have  fantastic ideas. Hell, some are here on Magic. But creative people like that will never have any power, because first and foremost, it doesn't guarantee the most amount of $$$.

Disney needs a creative, goofy, charming person at the helm. That's when they had the most success.
Bingo. Unique is limiting, less accessible, less inclusive. They want everything to be as inclusive as possible, not for sake of diversity, but for sake of profit. If diversity was the objective, there would be unique offerings, but instead everything is homogenous and in a way that is as simple and inoffensive as possible.

Midwest Elitist

Bingo. Unique is limiting, less accessible, less inclusive. They want everything to be as inclusive as possible, not for sake of diversity, but for sake of profit. If diversity was the objective, there would be unique offerings, but instead everything is homogenous and in a way that is as simple and inoffensive as possible.
It's not even that. They truly believe that this will end up making more money in the long run, so that's their main focus. The fastest way to split you from your money, the path they will follow. But we're starting to see through it. I mean, when their feet are to the fire, look at how corporations react when pretending to care about the current month ends up costing them money. It's a rouse.

Centauri Space Station

That doesn't line up with what I was told. The information was provided to me around late-ish 2022. And again, what Disney has since revealed about the attraction has so far lined up precisely with what I was told. I'm also quite certain that if Tony had left the project early on having been upset and in disagreement with the direction, that detail definitely would have been included in the conversation. It certainly wouldn't have been used as a point of praise for the retheme, it was used as a reason the attraction has a chance of being good (there's no faith in Charita Carter).

As I've said in the other thread, the source was extremely negative about the attraction when it was first announced (same as any of the most angry people here, they're still not happy that Splash is gone). This includes sharing the assumption most of us had that Tony wasn't actually involved and was just a PR mouthpiece. This changed when they were given a lot of first hand info about the project from people working on it. Including feedback on the new music and dialog. As well as information/photos of some of the animatronics, story and new characters.

Despite the dumb backstory they're pushing (which again i expect to be largely be contained in the queue, and subtle to absent after the first drop), the few scattered details about the actual ride do look like they have Tony's fingerprints all over.

So until Tony himself publicly confirms he left in disagreement and his ideas were thrown out (or some other person working on the retheme can confirm this), i'm erring towards believing my source for now. They've been quite accurate thus far.
From the wdw Tiana chat

PiratesMansion

I don't know that I 100% believe any one person who is giving information about what may or may not be happening. That said, my thoughts are thus:

1. A lot of those details that have people indignant about sound like queue details to me. Surely we could all picture that if Indiana Jones Adventure was being built right now, that they would spend an inordinate amount of time hyping the different artifacts we will encounter, a film appearance by Sallah, plus a visit to Doctor Jones' office, among other details from the queue, yes? I could very much picture the WWI bit being just a picture in the queue and that being the end of it.
2. The only person I would 100% believe if they mentioned Tony walking away from the project was Tony himself, and he is unlikely to ever state publically how involved he is/isn't, or if he left the project, at any point in the near future.
3. There are a lot of people here who are determined to be mad about this retheme, and would find a reason to be mad if we didn't get these details but got different ones instead, or if we didn't get any details at all.

So hearsay in either direction doesn't hold much weight to me at the moment. Disney has a motive to portray what they're doing in a certain light, but so do the people who are extremely unhappy with the decisions Disney has made regarding the retheme.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I asked because my job title is “Instructional Assistant” and I’ve never directly assisted any of the instructors and professors at my institution. Sometimes our expectations from a job title don’t match the actual job that is being done. I’m not exactly sure what she does and I’m not going to pretend like I do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I don't know that I 100% believe any one person who is giving information about what may or may not be happening. That said, my thoughts are thus:

1. A lot of those details that have people indignant about sound like queue details to me. Surely we could all picture that if Indiana Jones Adventure was being built right now, that they would spend an inordinate amount of time hyping the different artifacts we will encounter, a film appearance by Sallah, plus a visit to Doctor Jones' office, among other details from the queue, yes? I could very much picture the WWI bit being just a picture in the queue and that being the end of it.
2. The only person I would 100% believe if they mentioned Tony walking away from the project was Tony himself, and he is unlikely to ever state publically how involved he is/isn't, or if he left the project, at any point in the near future.
3. There are a lot of people here who are determined to be mad about this retheme, and would find a reason to be mad if we didn't get these details but got different ones instead, or if we didn't get any details at all.

So hearsay in either direction doesn't hold much weight to me at the moment. Disney has a motive to portray what they're doing in a certain light, but so do the people who are extremely unhappy with the decisions Disney has made regarding the retheme.
Yep. Especially number 3.

TP2000

Are you aware of exactly what her duties are in her role?

She's the "Executive Creative Producer" for this ride. Using the key word "producer", I can assume that she is much like an executive producer on a big-budget movie. She's the executive in charge of not just financing, but talent acquisition, scheduling and timing, staging and sourcing and research by the creative teams, technical management of various skilled trades, etc.

A Producer is also in charge of snacks. (Jennifer Coolidge reference, for those here with a sense of humor ;))

Almost always a producer works their way up from the creative side of the house, and WDI Producers on LinkedIn almost always have college degrees in Theater, Stage Design, Art, Music, Graphic Design, or other creative fields.

Ms. Carter only stands out because she does not have that formal art training, and instead spent the first 20 years of her career in accounting & finance after getting her Bachelors in accounting.

That's the part that's unusual here. "An Accountant Makes a Log Ride - The Imagineering Story"

Last edited by a moderator:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
She's the "Executive Creative Producer" for this ride. Using the key word "producer", I can assume that she is much like an executive producer on a big-budget movie. She's the executive in charge of not just financing, but talent acquisition, scheduling and timing, staging and sourcing and research by the creative teams, technical management of various skilled trades, etc.

A Producer is also in charge of snacks. (Jennifer Coolidge reference, for those here with a sense of humor ;))

Almost always a producer works their way up from the creative side of the house, and WDI Producers on LinkedIn almost always have college degrees in Theater, Stage Design, Art, Music, Graphic Design, or other creative fields.

Ms. Carter only stands out because she does not have that formal art training, and instead spent the first 20 years of her career in accounting & finance after getting her Bachelors in accounting.

That's the part that's unusual here. "An Accountant Makes a Log Ride - The Imagineering Story"

Oh, cheer up Mr. Grumperson. Things aren't yet that bad here on the Tiana project. :D

This log ride might turn out great and be a triumph not just for WDI, but also a triumph for the School of Accounting at Cal State Northridge. (Go Matadors!)
Lots of assumptions. Why don’t you read what @LittleBuford provided for you to get some answers, if you’re truly curious and if it really matters.

TP2000

I think the endless PR releases about details on what will only be an ignored sign in a crowded and narrow queue (or simply impossible to see because the queue is... crowded and narrow) are what has caused the consternation among folks here.

Whoever has been handling the PR Communications on this Tiana project needs to be replaced ASAP. The constant and outsized focus on minor queue signs and decorative elements that will be ignored or unnoticed by 98% of the people who couldn't afford Lightning Lane+ is weird.

And those who buy LightningLane+ will zip right past all that stuff anyway, which is the exact point of LightningLane+. ;)

That it's so obviously ladled over with a thick layer of cheese from the DEI department (WWI segregated troops, women owned businesses becoming employee-owned cooperatives instead, 0.02% of population demographics now getting a call-out for no apparent reason, etc.) makes it not just weird, but inherently cringey and vapid.

This is a project that wasn't ready for prime time when it was announced suddenly by a panicky CEO in June, 2020. I don't envy the WDI team that had to get this thing ready to go in two different facilities on separate coasts; that job must have been difficult.

But how they are handling the PR and pre-opening buzz building communications on this project is a lesson in how NOT to do it. Especially when your targeted audience for that communication is Disney fans who are highly knowledgeable about the WDI culture and know what to expect from them when it comes to E Tickets.

They'd have been much better off by just releasing some concept art of logs going past actual show scenes, with peppy slogans about jazzy and happy times ahead for adventurers of all ages (at least 40 inches tall).

Some are. My sense of the conversation here is that a lot are more like me; optimistic that the new version of the log ride will have all the fabulous music and infectious fun that the movie itself and Mark Twain show had back in 2009.

But then they just kept talking about employee-owned work cooperatives and WWI servicemen who didn't return, and it made folks who were upbeat about this a year ago start to worry what the heck was going on. 🤔

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Oh, cheer up Mr. Grumperson. Things aren't yet that bad here on the Tiana project. :D

This log ride might turn out great and be a triumph not just for WDI, but also a triumph for the School of Accounting at Cal State Northridge. (Go Matadors!)
We get it. You’re using every bit of your wit—and there’s no denying you’re witty—to pour scorn on someone you know nothing about but have nonetheless decided must be bad at designing theme-park attractions, despite her proven association with the delightful Runaway Railway. I’m not sure what more you hope to achieve by carrying on this charade of supposedly being interested in her career trajectory or abilities. It’s clear you’ve already formed a very definite opinion of her—the rest is just playacting.

TP2000

Lots of assumptions. Why don’t you read what @LittleBuford provided for you to get some answers, if you’re truly curious and if it really matters.

Again, I subscribe to Forbes. I read that article when it first came out last year. As I remember it now, it was a puff piece. Corporate communications teams send those sorts of articles out all the time on selected executives they want to tout and hold up to the press for whatever reason. It's a PR thing almost all big companies do to build buzz and good will from investors.

The Forbes article didn't say much of anything about what her actual role is on this log ride, or about the log ride itself. (Or else we would have discussed that article here, which we didn't because it didn't say much.) The article just said that she's a fun and beloved member of the WDI team and Disney's Board of Directors would love to have you feel good about that. See your investment professional for more details.

LittleBuford

Here is what the article actually says:

Meet Charita Carter, The First African-American Woman Executive Producer Of Walt Disney Imagineering​

Yolanda Baruch Oct 18, 2022,

Two years ago, the nation endured a summer of civil unrest, and out of that tumultuous time emerged rallying calls for increased efforts of diversity and inclusion in every facet of society. Walt Disney World took note and launched its Reimagining Tomorrow initiative that seeks to represent marginalized voices in the various tiers of its offerings ranging from the company's parks, merchandise, and entertainment.

Recently, Disney announced they were upgrading Splash Mountain to Tiana's Bayou Adventure, a move that Disney aficionados perceived as controversial because they opposed the change. Understanding the nostalgia its customers held for the ride, the multinational and media conglomerate remained steadfast in its decision to become more inclusive.

To bring the adventure to life the Tiana’s Bayou Adventure, the first African-American princess from the fan-favorite animated film, The Princess and the Frog, as a ride at Disneyland Park in California and Magic Kingdom Park in Florida, Disney tapped Charita Carter, an African-American woman, as lead on the project. Based on her corporate bio, Carter works as an executive producer; she is responsible for creating, collaborating, and developing Disney Parks experiences from ideation to execution.

Recently, Carter held the position of senior creative producer and development manager of Walt Disney Imagineering's Scenic Illusion team, a cohesive integration group committed to developing new applications and techniques to furnish designers efficiently with multiple storytelling capabilities. Imagineering is "the branch of the Disney company that comes up with the ideas and the execution for [its] parks, for [its] cruise ships, and for [its]shows." Under Carter's tutelage, this team was granted more than 20 patents for the Walt Disney Company and implemented attractions for Walt Disney World, Disneyland, and Tokyo Disney Resort. She also produced the critically-acclaimed Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway attraction at Disney's Hollywood Studios, the premier ride-through in the history of the parks to feature Mickey and Minnie Mouse.

Before embarking on the pathway to an Imagineering career, Carter served as a senior accountant. She has a degree in Accounting from California State University Northridge. Carter worked as the Creative Development Division's finance manager and strategic business partner. Later, she grew into the role of Blue Sky Strategic Initiatives development manager and then advanced to show producer.

Armed with a multidisciplinary background that includes creative, finance, and accounting, and over two decades of experience honing her skills on Walt Disney Imagineering teams, it's understandable why she led the Tiana’s Bayou Adventure ride efforts. Once unveiled and open to the public, the attraction will allow Disney park attendees to experience an enchanting adventure.

"I have been with Walt Disney Imagineering for 25 years, so when I worked in finance, I worked for Imagineering because Imagineering has many disciplines. I had worked as a general ledger accountant before coming to Disney, and I'd love to tell [this] story; when I came to interview, the accounting director asked me to hang out for a minute because he was running a little late. Of course, I would hang out all day because I was looking for a job. But I was able to listen to the conversation that he was trying to wrap up, and it was two individuals who had worked in finance, and they were transitioning to creative," she says. "I thought that was the most bizarre thing I had ever heard of, but little did I know, within about ten years, that would be partially my story."

Carter worked as an accountant in the Imagineering department for a couple of years before transferring to the creative division's financial analyst role. With no previous work experience as a financial analyst, a completely different discipline from accounting, Carter took a slight disadvantage and molded the position into her own. As part of her responsibilities, she managed the annual budget for the department. She had to acclimate her to their operation, ensuring they had the necessary financial resources, equipment, and staff to bring the ideas to fruition.

"It was almost like this baptism by fire because I had three or four weeks to get it all done. But when I was in accounting, I used to be an auditor, and I would have to walk into an organization and read about their business, whether it was manufacturing or service. Then I looked at the generally accepted accounting principles. I had to come in and quickly make an assessment to make recommendations to their leadership on how they could improve their margins, their inventory, or whatever they were trying to solve," Carter expounds, also describing how centrally managed the division was at the time.

During that period, a singular Vice President was supervising the creative unit, and one director focused on the ideation of Blue Sky Studios, Inc. The animation film studio eventually closed down on April 7, 2021, due to the economic downturn brought on by the pandemic.

Carter recalls that upper management noticed a glimmer within her and began giving her assignments to scout at senior art shows and look for potential interns. "I remember the VP, she went with me to one show, and I shadowed her around, and the second show, she said, 'Okay, we're going to split up, and I want you to go and select who you think would be appropriate for the group, and I'm going to do the same.' When we got back together, at the end of the day, I picked ten people, and eight of the people that I had picked, she had picked, and she's like, 'You got it.'"

The executive ushered Carter into working on the finance side with show producers and had to learn what their days entailed. Carter noticed they disliked receiving her notes as a financial analyst requesting information from them to complete her reports because it interrupted their schedule. She decided to streamline the process to expedite collecting the needed details.

"I think there was a realization from the senior producers. Wait a minute, the more information she knows, the better; she can make our lives, so that was my invitation into the room," she says, letting out a hearty laugh.

"So the next thing I know, I'm sitting in ideation sessions and project meetings where we're talking about how we will approach a particular project. Then I'm having ideas about how we can streamline and how we can focus. Being in the room and hearing that just started sparking something in me, and I realized, 'wait a minute, this is intriguing.' So I went to leadership, and I asked them, could I do a survey of the senior people? The question that I wanted to ask was if the reigns were completely ours as Imagineers, what would we be focusing on from a Blue Sky perspective? Where will we be for the next five years? I did a survey, connected the dots, put together a proposal, and presented it to management."

The executives accepted her presentation when Bob Iger was preparing for retirement and for the Disney corporation's new chairman of parks and resorts. Bob Chapek succeeded Iger as CEO, previously serving as the Chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products and as the Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.

Carter's leadership at Imagineering presented her proposal for ideation to Chapek, who was looking for an opportunity, Carter believed, to quickly put his mark on Imagineering. "He liked what he heard. He greenlit it, and he funded it," she remembers, adding that her employer invited her to manage the proposal and establish the programs. Carter immediately jumped at the opportunity and developed a roadmap and initiatives described in her plan.

Blue Sky director John George urged Carter to partner with a Disneyland director who was a well-respected creative and special effect expert. "As you can imagine, working with him every day was a masterclass, and we were able to put together some programs. We managed this group called the Scenic Illusion group, and basically, it was a bunch of people with theatrical backgrounds," she says.

"We were responsible for updating and bringing new techniques to the table so that our creative directors, as they were dreaming about the possibilities for guest experiences, we'd have more to work with; we had some success and had a number of patents that we started getting a critical mass of these techniques that were being adopted. Then it was time to get it into our pipeline to get it into our projects so we could get it in front of our guests. I stepped in and said, 'I'd be happy to do that,' part of it was ignorance was bliss."

Armed with confidence from working on the ground level with a talented group of people at Imagineering launched her from managing a creative development team to producing. The initial projects she started refining were the Disneyland classics, now fortified with new tools; Carter's mission was to revisit the stories and execute them with a fresh perspective.

For two scenes from Snow White's Scary Adventure at Disneyland, her team utilized projection mapping, an immersive technology that projects imagery on surfaces spanning from 3D animation to video.

"We were able to do that, not only for the guests but also for our operators and our maintenance crew at Disneyland to test how our new tools were going to work, and they worked out beautifully. They asked us to come back and make it permanent," Carter informs. Disney also commissioned her to update scenes in the Indiana Jones Adventure, Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow, a walk-through animated attraction at Disney Hollywood Studios.

Carter branched out and oversaw the first fully theatrical projected shows in collaboration with the live entertainment group in Tokyo and continued with the development of the first Mickey and Minnie ride attraction allowing to put Disney's guests into a cartoon.

"That ended up being an amazing experience. I worked with one of the most prolific and talented creative directors I think I've ever known [like] Kevin Rafferty, and we were able to get together and lead a team of people for this attraction, and it was just absolutely amazing. I felt the way we approached; it was a combination of the work I had been doing over the last decade in the lab," she speaks ecstatically, expressing how satisfied she was about her achievements. But she admits that she hit a brick wall with Imagineering, doubtful she could top her current work experiences. However, as an Imagineer, Carter should expect that Disney never rests on its laurels as an innovator of family entertainment.

Before the pandemic turned the world upside down, the Mickey and Minnie attraction was open for nine days. A few months later, the then President of Walt Disney Imagineering, Bob Weis, contacted Carter and told her that "we are bringing Princess Tiana to both Magic Kingdom and Disneyland, and we would like you to be the producer," she disclosed as tears flooded her face. She communicates that her creative journey as an Imagineer was only just unfolding.

The preliminary conceptualizations by Blue Sky fueled the current ideas that helped to complete Princess Tiana's Bayou Adventure attraction. Carter's team is presently solidifying the script for the ride, which is the synergistic phase, "People get together in a room, [with] a board, [and] start throwing stuff on the board, pin it up, and have a conversation, and you read people's body language."

However, the pandemic halted in-person creative interaction, and the group had to rely on Zoom calls to continue constructing the project. Carter worked with Carmen Smith, Senior Vice President, and Executive Creative Development Product/Content and Inclusive Strategies for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products; she made sure to supply the teams with connections, knowledge, and the necessary tools to work on the design. Since the employees could not travel to New Orleans, Louisiana, where Princess Tiana's story takes place, one of their colleagues who worked in New Orleans provided the team members with virtual tours of the location by using her iPhone on a gimbal.

"We're getting ready to go into our production phase where we start building stuff, then next we'll be at a point where we start installing. We will have previews for our guests, cut that ribbon, and then we get to be opened up to the world," Carter promises of the ride that will be available to the public in late 2024.

When the animated film "Princess and The Frog" premiered in 2009, it was met with jubilation. "Finally, here is something that all little girls, especially young black girls, can embrace," Cori Murray, the then entertainment director at Essence magazine, said to CNN. The first Disney-animated African American princess impacted young girls to women who finally had the chance to see themselves reflected in a cherished art form.

Carter recollects, outfitted in a green dress, going to a fundraiser at a museum in New Orleans that selected Princess Tiana as the theme with a group of Imagineers. "There was a sense of inspiration and pride in seeing that, but I remember going to this particular ball, and the majority of the African-American people there were serving. They were either in the kitchen or doing various things. I remember walking in with my dress on, and one of the waiters asked, 'Do you have a minute?' I'm going to cry when I tell the story," Carter becomes visibly emotional as her voice shakes and eyes well up with tears as she retells the poignant story.

"And I said, 'Sure.' I walked back toward the back, and they had all lined up and started clapping. They shared what Tiana meant to them and what it meant for me to be at that ball. Tiana inspires me because she represents a woman who looks like me, has a dream, works very hard, and won't take no for an answer; she overcame and then wanted to turn back and make sure that everybody else was healthy and whole in realizing their dreams. So I see myself in her, and I wasn't planning on crying," she sentimentally remarks.

She attempts to choke back her tears as she continues to speak and acknowledges how attendees at the D23 Expo have expressed their gratitude. The people of New Orleans have also thanked her for building Princess Tiana's Bayou Adventure. "It's one of those realizations that it's so much bigger than me or anybody on the team to be a part of it; it's an honor," she weeps as her voice trails off, engulfed in an overwhelmingly gentle appreciation.

Within a few moments, as she returns to a tranquil composure, she addresses the concern about how the lack of representation on television and film has affected minorities, "We've learned to self-impose ourselves on the heroes that we face. I would see Wonder Woman and be able to self-impose, but it's not the same. When you look and say they look like me it's all the difference in the world. It's just so amazing that the Disney company is, in my mind leading right now, making sure that we have representation across the board. I think the impact that will have on our society and on young people we can't even imagine at this juncture, what the impact that will have on the future," she powerfully states.

Carter embraces the responsibility and the significance of being an African-American woman Imagineer and appreciates that the opportunity is "bigger" than her. She respects the fact that she must do her very best to serve as an inspiration for others. Carter makes it a point to say that when she first came into the company, she worked with many men but observed a unique dynamic when a woman of color occupied a leadership position which she considers an advantage.

"A lot of people I worked with had never worked with an African-American woman before, and they weren't sure what that entailed. So there were no preconceived notions. Often with women, it's like you might relate to a woman at work as your wife or sister. I was kind of like an unknown entity. So I decided to lean into that and craft my own script. I was very fortunate to work with a group of people who, like a lot of the characteristics of Imagineers: are curious, want to learn, wanting to have new experiences, and I found myself surrounded by a group of very supportive people who recognized my talent, and felt as we're all just firing on all of our cylinders, we can, we can make the best product," she says, sharing that her journey was not easy and there were moments she felt invisible and misunderstood.

Nevertheless, she moved forward because she grasped the gravity of her role, "That's my inspiration, and that's why I keep going. I'm happy to say that Imagineering that I've had more positive experiences than I have had negative ones. There have been negative experiences, but the positive ones have outweighed them, and as I've worked with teams now in the creative space for 15 years, yes, I am an African-American producer. But I'm, I'm sure Charita Carter, I'm a known entity, first and foremost. I think that our organization's magic is the people we work with and the fact that we work with so many amazing, talented, passionate people. That's the reason I'm still here."

She advises young Black boys and girls who may consider pursuing a career in Disney Imagineering is available to take the time to understand what makes them excited and discover the myriad of opportunities the company offers.

"Once you determine that, lean into it, and give it everything you have. I'm one of those people who believe that your gifts and your talents will make room for you," she says, continuing, "Don't be afraid to try new things; that has been at the base of my career, every opportunity that I have gotten it was completely new to me. But I was willing to lean in and figure it out and not be afraid to fail, which is not easy, but it's the attitude that you have to have because you don't want to forgo an opportunity to find what you truly enjoy and what you were designed to do."

Unknowingly, Carter echoes revered Disney ethos of maintaining bravery in the face of opposition; she guides future Imagineers to surround themselves with a formidable support group and for creators of color to gain as much experience and knowledge as they can ascertain without deterrent.

"If the direction they want to go, and they're pulled another direction because the road is never straight, I think about auditing, working in finance and for a food company, all the things that I've done [like] working in community theater, and my photography, everything that I have done cumulatively has equipped me to be a more rounded and better producer," she reveals. "Some of it was not logical, so not to be deterred, it seems like you have to go left when you want to go straight because eventually, you'll be able to get back there with much more than [if] you had taken a straight path. So hang in there, lean into the opportunities, stay true to who you are and what you love, and you will get to where you need to be."

TP2000

We get it. You’re using every bit of your wit—and there’s no denying you’re witty—to pour scorn on someone you know nothing about but have nonetheless decided must be bad at designing theme-park attractions, despite her proven association with the delightful Runaway Railway. I’m not sure what more you hope to achieve by carrying on this charade of supposedly being interested in her career trajectory or abilities. It’s clear you’ve already formed a very definite opinion of her—the rest is just playacting.

Scorn is far too strong of a word for this conversation.

I have used scorn in the past 20 years on forums like these, but it's been relegated to only a small handful of people in power. Off the top of my head, the names we have used scornfully are; Paul Pressler, Cynthia Harris, and Bob Chapek. There was also a scornful era for Eisner around '02 to '05, but he kind of salvaged that by bowing out and now we look far more sympathetically on his tenure.

This Tiana's Bayou Adventure project seems to be messy and incoherent, judging by the communication that WDI is choosing to release for it pre-opening. That is not our fault, that is their fault. They have a blank slate and can tell us anything and everything, or nothing at all, about what this ride is going to be like. So far, they are not doing that well. And the latest batch of info they released on purpose last week made things even worse for them.

The log ride is now also about World War I's segregated troops, and local non-profit dressmaking, and the 522 people of Chinese descent living in Louisiana at the time, in addition to employee-owned work cooperatives and salt domes?

If the Executive Creative Producer for this attraction is not involved in the PR communications for the ride, she needs to get herself involved very fast and right the ship. Because it's getting weird. I've never seen anything like this in WDI history, have you?

PiratesMansion

I think the endless PR releases about details on what will only be an ignored sign in a crowded and narrow queue (or simply impossible to see because the queue is... crowded and narrow) are what has caused the consternation among folks here.

Whoever has been handling the PR Communications on this Tiana project needs to be replaced ASAP. The constant focus on minor queue signs and decorative elements that will be ignored or unnoticed by 98% of the people who couldn't afford Lightning Lane+ is weird.
Uh, no, this is literally Disney PR 101 for the past decade plus. There's nothing out of the ordinary here.

You yourself have made a habit of pointing out their weird PRspeak, so you of all people should be aware of this.

But it's more fun for people to play ignorant about the well-established and questionable habits of Disney PR because they want to be BIG MAD.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom