Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

mickEblu

Theming wise they try to block it from the rest of the park but you can still see it from BTM and the futuristic buildings on the Mark Twain while you can see the matterhorn from falcon queue. The land is off scale with the rest of DL, too much space with not enough to see unlike the other lands.

If GE is what saved/ saves the ROA from getting bulldozed then I’ll be forever grateful to that out of scale land and will consider Big Thunder BBQ and Hungry Bear not being on the water anymore a small price to pay. With that said, the scale differences don’t really matter. They clearly didn’t want you to feel like you were in Disneyland anymore and personally I’m happy with that decision as a 14 acre single IP land doesn’t really belong in Disneyland or any castle park IMO. Conceptually I think GE fits DHS more but the execution and placement I think is better at DL with the long meandering paths/ tunnels taking guests from the natural surroundings of Frontierland and Critter Country to GE. The latter is what matters in real life and what is appreciated by guests. The conceptual stuff just bothers people like us talking about this on a Saturday night 5 years after the land opened haha.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
If GE is what saved/ saves the ROA from getting bulldozed then I’ll be forever grateful to that out of scale land and will consider Big Thunder BBQ and Hungry Bear not being on the water anymore a small price to pay. With that said, the scale differences don’t really matter. They clearly didn’t want you to feel like you were in Disneyland anymore and personally I’m happy with that decision as a 14 acre single IP land doesn’t really belong in Disneyland or any castle park IMO. Conceptually I think GE fits DHS more but the execution and placement I think is better at DL with the long meandering paths/ tunnels taking guests from the natural surroundings of Frontierland and Critter Country to GE. The latter is what matters in real life and what is appreciated by guests. The conceptual stuff just bothers people like us talking about this on a Saturday night 5 years after the land opened haha.
Expanding GE may be what kills your ROA. Unlikely, but still, clearly they don't care.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Expanding GE may be what kills your ROA. Unlikely, but still, clearly they don't care.
While Disneyland isn't completely untouchable as we've seen over recent years, I think there are more things there that are untouchable given that it is Walt's park......the ROA being one of those things.

DL's ROA serves as the waterfront for NOS, is the stage for Fantasmic! and the north end was already recently redone due to GE. It's a centerpiece to that whole area with various eating establishments that give you an unobstructed view of the rivercraft going by.

While there is no certainty for anything in this world, I believe DL's ROA will be around for a very long time. I can understand though how a lot of people try to cope with the loss by holding on to hope that DL will suffer the same fate.

TP2000

I'm confused now. What year is this ride supposed to take place in? 1924 or 2024? Why does the mural use modern imagery (like the wheelchair) and children wearing modern clothing?

This seems rather messy and sloppy from a storytelling perspective...

2024 Kindergarten Mural.jpg
What Year Is It.jpg

disneylandcm

Is it just me are all the newer CM costumes around the resort starting to look like they belong in Toontown? I Guess it makes sense. All the parks are slowly becoming castle parks/ variations of Fantasyland.
It’s not just you. When Paradise Pier became Pixar Pier I was disappointed in the costume downgrade from lovely (IMHO) turn of the last century attire to cheap primary color clothes. I understand it, but I don’t care for it.

mickEblu

I agree… but I think both would look better with a blank wall.

I think DLs ride looks a lot better overall than WDWs, the only thing I don’t like about it is the mural, I haven’t seen it in person though so I’m curious to see if I’ll like it better in person.

Well, at least the Disneyland murals seem small by comparison and are not on the Barn facade itself. The blown up shots shared on this thread don’t help at all.

Centauri Space Station

ROA was saved only for Fantasmic. I went on the boat and thought it was far too short with the new version to be worthy of riding though. SWGE fits DHS naturally and doesn’t need to be hidden like at DL, even though it’s visible from the locations i said.

TP2000

Leaving aside aesthetic preference (I like the WDW one more), I can't understand why the imagery is so anachronistic in the Disneyland mural. It's very jarring.

It's really dumb. Today's Imagineers are people who constantly brag and boast about what great "storytellers" they are, and yet they make glaring mistakes like this mural.

1924? This mural wouldn't exist then as it is displayed. 2024? This mural looks like something on any grade school playground in America, with a big shout out to the favorite Lunchroom Ladies. Why?

Who the heck was in charge of this project and its appearance in the park as it attempts to tell a fictional story of the 1920's? And just how big was their room service tab from the New Orleans Ritz-Carlton to produce this level of work? 🧐

2024 Kindergarten Mural.jpg

PiratesMansion

ROA was saved only for Fantasmic. I went on the boat and thought it was far too short with the new version to be worthy of riding though. SWGE fits DHS naturally and doesn’t need to be hidden like at DL, even though it’s visible from the locations i said.
I agree that DL's river was saved more for Fantasmic than because of GE, and I'd bet money that if MK did Fantasmic on their river, it wouldn't be going anywhere.

That said, I'd still take DL's river over the also-shorter-than-the-others Paris river. Yes, it's cool in Paris that you go around Big Thunder, but there's really almost nothing else to see or look at on their river route other than the geysers and train tracks (maybe you can see Mark Twain rotting in plain sight if they've misplaced a tarp or two, but that's hardly positive scenery), and it started that short. DL at least has improved back-end scenery, even if the ride back on the right side of TSI has always been sort of a nothing area as far as scenery is concerned.

It does make me wonder if the river was starting to be considered wasted space even pre-Pressler, given how much shorter the river is in Paris and Big Thunder's placement, despite how large the rest of Paris' Frontierland is. Perhaps putting Big Thunder on the island was more about just giving it a centered, prominent placement in the land but also as a covert way to save the river in some way.

CaptinEO

It's really dumb. Today's Imagineers are people who constantly brag and boast about what great "storytellers" they are, and yet they make glaring mistakes like this mural.

1924? This mural wouldn't exist then as it is displayed. 2024? This mural looks like something on any grade school playground in America, with a big shout out to the favorite Lunchroom Ladies. Why?

Who the heck was in charge of this project and its appearance in the park as it attempts to tell a fictional story of the 1920's? And just how big was their room service tab from the New Orleans Ritz-Carlton to produce this level of work? 🧐

View attachment 820544
WDI is awful. The clothing and art style here is not the 1920s. This looks like a 1980s mural in Los Angeles and reminds me of a few elementary school textbooks I had growing up.

Is this supposed to be atmospheric? Is it supposed to get people excited to go on a log ride? This is PBS levels of lame. I feel like I'm about to watch a VHS documentary of how farms work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom