Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

mickEblu

I see your point, but disagree on it being a fail in that scenario. If it was shown that this is accurate to the time period that would sway many that felt it wasn't reflective of the time period.

However since art is basically about evoking a feeling I think its irrelevant on if its actually accurate to the time period or not. So far most of the dislike comments I've seen was about "it looks like kindergartners did it", which is exactly the feeling WDI appears to have been going for, so in the regard they appear to have succeed in my opinion even if some others think its a fail.

I disagree that some rando showing one or more pieces of art that prove this style to be accurate to the time period would change people’s visceral reaction to the art. If it doesn’t feel right to someone, some random post on the internet is most likely not going to change that. Anyway agree to disagree.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Theming wise they try to block it from the rest of the park but you can still see it from BTM and the futuristic buildings on the Mark Twain while you can see the matterhorn from falcon queue. The land is off scale with the rest of DL, too much space with not enough to see unlike the other lands.
ROA was saved only for Fantasmic. I went on the boat and thought it was far too short with the new version to be worthy of riding though. SWGE fits DHS naturally and doesn’t need to be hidden like at DL, even though it’s visible from the locations i said.
Out of curiosity, when was the last time you visited Disneyland? The trees between GE and the ROA have grown quite a bit in the past 5 years and will continue to grow. As of now, the building in GE are barely visible and eventually won't be anymore.

Regarding BTMR, yes, you can see GE for a few seconds, but most people don't even notice it because they are looking at the goat.

Where can you see the Matterhorn from the Falcon queue? I took this photo when it first opened and the cantina blocks the view. Do you maybe mean you can see BTMR from the queue? It fits just fine.

1728937042194.png

Regardless, I would trade those minor things any day of the week than to literally be standing in GE and seeing Buzz Lightyear staring at me:

1728937156241.png

All of the DL entrances flow wonderfully from Frontierland or Critter Country with long transitions. If sudden transitions from Toy Story or Grand Avenue are what makes something "fit" better, then we are on completely different wavelengths when it comes to theming and transitions. It's one thing to get "blink and you miss it" or "you gotta be looking for it" views, it's another to see complete other lands from within an existing one.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I disagree that some rando showing one or more pieces of art that prove this style to be accurate to the time period would change people’s visceral reaction to the art. If it doesn’t feel right to someone, some random post on the internet is most likely not going to change that. Anyway agree to disagree.
Well art is subjective, and maybe you're right that no one here will care that its from the time period when shown evidence that it is. Or maybe they will. Won't know until it happens.

As I said I personally feel its fine and fits based on what I know WDI was trying to go for with the story. And my gut reaction is that most won't care when passing by it in the queue. They'll just think it looks like kids art with the alligator from Princess and the Frog, and won't give it a second thought that it may not be from the 1920s.

So yeah agree to disagree. :)

mickEblu

I like those stone tiles on the ground outside the entrance. Got a closer look at that fence and fortunately the wood looks more natural. In those images shared earlier it had that white faux wood modern farm to table restaurant look. The murals look better than those at WDW just due to the fact they are much smaller and not on the barn facade itself with the awkward gap between the edges.

I’m really curious though why they tried extra hard to appeal to the young ins on this ride. Between the queue, the story, no Villan and the juvenile dialogue. It’s like they forgot about that drop at the end or the 40 inch height requirement.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’m really curious though why they tried extra hard to appeal to the young ins on this ride. Between the queue, the story, no Villan and the juvenile dialogue. It’s like they forgot about that drop at the end or the 40 inch height requirement.
Can't say, but could it be more of an overall stance by Disney on all attractions rather than specifically for this attraction? Has there been a recent attraction new or retheme that was more of what you feel wasn't considered "juvenile"?

DarkMetroid567

Different kinds of thrill. It doesn’t take a lot to make a kid cry, and I imagine with a shift to a princess IP they wanted it to make it more broadly accessible. I wish that wasn’t the decision made, but I get it.

mickEblu

Can't say, but could it be more of an overall stance by Disney on all attractions rather than specifically for this attraction? Has there been a recent attraction new or retheme that was more of what you feel wasn't considered "juvenile"?

There has definitely been a shift but I think this is the first example on a thrill ride. Would have been nice for them to draw the line at a ride with a 50 foot drop but if I’m going to sit here and continue to believe that they have any common sense or nuance when they continue proving otherwise than I guess I’m the fool.

NobodyElse

View attachment 820372

Further poof imagineering doesn't know what they're doing anymore. Giving the CM a chef's apron while people walk through the salt dome via the co-op mural and kitchen to board logs to find animal musicians in the bayou will complete the immersive experience for sure.
For some reason (to me) that CM on the left looks like he might be trying out for a Monty Python sketch.
1728947420781.png

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There has definitely been a shift but I think this is the first example on a thrill ride. Would have been nice for them to draw the line at a ride with a 50 foot drop but if I’m going to sit here and continue to believe that they have any common sense or nuance when they continue proving otherwise than I guess I’m the fool.
There is a lot that can be said about society as a whole, and the dumbing down of it over the last couple generations. I just think that unfortunately while its not something we wish as theme park fans, Disney has to cater to an audience that is largely not into the nuance or wanting to "work" for the experience that OG WDI used to build for.

So as much as we want to blame WDI, blame the average guest more in my opinion.

mickEblu

Different kinds of thrill. It doesn’t take a lot to make a kid cry, and I imagine with a shift to a princess IP they wanted it to make it more broadly accessible. I wish that wasn’t the decision made, but I get it.

If it’s kid friendly enough for the movie it should be kid friendly enough for the ride. Kids love weird scary stuff to an extent. The first thing my son asked when he found out they were making a PatF ride was “is Dr Facilier going to be at the top.” And he’s a chicken when it comes to real life (non Disney) scary stuff.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If it’s kid friendly enough for the movie it should be kid friendly enough for the ride. Kids love weird scary stuff to an extent. The first thing my son asked when he found out they were making a PatF ride was “is Dr Facilier going to be at the top.” And he’s a chicken when it comes to real life (non Disney) scary stuff.
Well he is your son after all, so not surprised he asked about Facilier. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom