Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Professortango1

Since the concept art doesn't tell us much I'm not basing much opinion on what the land will include. So as I said we'll see, maybe he'll be featured and maybe he won't, we'll just have to wait.

As for "front and center" maybe I used the wrong term for you, to me him being included at all means they aren't hiding him away because he is "problematic" as was claimed.
But you can point to the fact he wasn't in his icornic skull make-up look that fans love as indication of the other. Its almost like grasping at straws, or a single clip in a long sequence of clips, isn't a good way to gauge anything other than the fact that he is a villain in a newer movie available on their streaming service. Its not like Disney has removed the film from their library, so nobody is saying they are Song of the Southing him, just that they are more careful of how he is used in the parks.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But you can point to the fact he wasn't in his icornic skull make-up look that fans love as indication of the other. Its almost like grasping at straws, or a single clip in a long sequence of clips, isn't a good way to gauge anything other than the fact that he is a villain in a newer movie available on their streaming service.
Can you? That feels more like grasping at straws to me. It was first that Disney is hiding Facilier away and not using him because he is "problematic", now its he's not in his Voodoo mask so they are acknowledging him but not really acknowledging him.

Either he is being hidden away because he is problematic or not. And also they don't shy away from the Voodoo aspects during any of the Halloween events, so there is that too. Cannot play it both ways.

Professortango1

Can you? That feels more like grasping at straws to me. It was first that Disney is hiding Facilier away and not using him because he is "problematic", now its he's not in his Voodoo mask so they are acknowledging him but not really acknowledging him.

Either he is being hidden away because he is problematic or not. And also they don't shy away from the Voodoo aspects during any of the Halloween events, so there is that too. Cannot play it both ways.
Both are grasping at straws, that's the point. Him being in a 2 second clip alongside Mad Madam Mim, The Horned King, and Mother Gothel is not a bold endorsement. If he had multiple clips like Scar, Ursula, Evil Queen/Hag, Maleficent, Jafar, Yzma....then maybe you'd have a point.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Both are grasping at straws, that's the point. Him being in a 2 second clip alongside Mad Madam Mim, The Horned King, and Mother Gothel is not a bold endorsement. If he had multiple clips like Scar, Ursula, Evil Queen/Hag, Maleficent, Jafar, Yzma....then maybe you'd have a point.
Well to be fair the fact he is present at all in an official Disney presentation and in the official Disney Halloween events is more indication then an assumption that Disney thinks he's "problematic".

Ghost93

It would actually make a great Tiana ride with us exploring the bayou in a darkride form. Maybe we could be looking for a band or spice for some celebration.
Maybe the rethemed Pooh ride could actually be a sequel to Tiana's Bayou Adventure? Now that Tiana has hired a new band of critters, she realizes she needs to pay them a livable wage. Not wanting to mooch off of Naveen's parents, Tiana returns to the bayou. But this time, instead of looking for special spice or critter friends, she is looking for treasure that she hopes to cash in in order to finance the salaries of her new hires!

During this journey (which will not feature Dr. Facillier or any excitement) Tiana won't find gold, but she will meet several lovable new characters (all reskinned animatronics from the Pooh attraction) and instead will learn that the real treasure is the friends she made along the way.

The ride concludes with Tiana deciding to give herself a pay cut so she can afford to pay her staff, because friendship — not money — is what really matters. :)

The ride could be called Tiana's Other Bayou Adventure or Return to the Bayou: Featuring Princess Tiana!

mickEblu

Maybe the rethemed Pooh ride could actually be a sequel to Tiana's Bayou Adventure? Now that Tiana has hired a new band of critters, she realizes she needs to pay them a livable wage. Not wanting to mooch off of Naveen's parents, Tiana returns to the bayou. But this time, instead of looking for special spice or critter friends, she is looking for treasure that she hopes to cash in in order to finance the salaries of her new hires!

During this journey (which will not feature Dr. Facillier or any excitement) Tiana won't find gold, but she will meet several lovable new characters (all reskinned animatronics from the Pooh attraction) and instead will learn that the real treasure is the friends she made along the way.

The ride concludes with Tiana deciding to give herself a pay cut so she can afford to pay her staff, because friendship — not money — is what really matters. :)

The ride could be called Tiana's Other Bayou Adventure or Return to the Bayou: Featuring Princess Tiana!

To see you slowly turn to the dark side has been a great pleasure.

Disstevefan1

I think all attractions (including HOP) should be re themed to either Moana or Tiana ;)

Ghost93

To see you slowly turn to the dark side has been a great pleasure.
Lol. I feel I've been mostly consistent in my thought process. Here are the thoughts I've generally expressed about the retheme:

1. Splash Mountain was my favorite Disney World ride and it is a crown jewel of Disney imagineering, but I also was sympathetic to wanting to retheme an attraction largely based on a movie that's been banned for racism. I think Splash Mountain did a great job of preserving the good elements of Song of the South while leaving behind the bad, but it is still fundamentally weird to have a ride advertising a movie people aren't really allowed to see.
2. If Splash Mountain had to be rethemed, the Princess and the Frog was the perfect IP to do so. The bayou elements, music and story from the movie created the POTENTIAL for a Princess and the Frog version of Splash Mountain to be even better than the OG Splash Mountain
3. Disney and the Imagineers completely squandered that potential by not really doing a Princess and the Frog ride and instead doing some strange spinoff with a convoluted Co-op back story, no thrilling elements, no iconography from the movie, and a Disney Jr esque story where Tiana nonsensically travels into the bayou to search for a critter band while reciting dialogue that would be at home on an episode of Dora the Explorer. A proper Princess and the Frog ride with Dr. Facillier could have been one of the best attractions in the park, and they opted to do something completely different and rather boring. The ride lacks the magic, the thrills, the emotions and the heart of PATF and replaces it with bland, monotonous positivity. I don't HATE Tiana's Bayou Adventure, but the ride is very easy to make fun of due to the poor creative decisions made.

In conclusion, PATF is an inherently better IP for a log flume attraction than SOTS, but the IP was wasted when the imagineers opted to not do PATF! As a result, the version of Splash Mountain based on SOTS had a much better execution and a superior story and ultimately was the better ride. They had the chance to do something special with the Princess and the Frog and they ultimately failed. The ride is a slightly above mediocre 7/10 when it should have been an easy 10/10.

Last edited:

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom