Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Ghost93

You don’t have to dig back as far as the book. The movie Song of the South is offensive enough on its own, including a major animated sequence that repeatably uses a term (and a blackface image) that has become incredibly hurtful and offensive to modern audiences (this is the same sequence in which the prominently-featured-on-ride song “How Do You Do” unfortunately originated).

I don’t like the (IMO) lame, preschool-like story that Disney concocted for TBA, but let’s not pretend that Splash wasn’t based on a property Disney will never show to the public again and apparently wants to pretend does not exist.

They could have dealt with the issue another way. They didn’t.
While I think Song of the South is a racist movie for its stereotypes, downplaying the horrors of slavery and romanticizing planations, the tar baby story existed before the word became a slur. It's still incredibly awkward to hear the term used in the film because the word now has a racist meaning, but I don't count the sequence towards the movie's long list of sins as its simply accurately retelling an ancient story.

TP2000

View attachment 798006

This group of people think they've created the best thing since the invention of the wheel. This ride is not going to be changed any time soon.

Much like the creators of The Acolyte, all these people think they are God's gift to the entertainment industry and changing the world through DEI policy.

It's all Disney mandated. Nothing is going to change.

Isn't that blonde lady the Englishwoman from a Disney Parks Blog video who said in a British accent "Hey Y'all!" to a singular Tiana animatronic as her log went past it?

That's about all I needed to know to understand this project will obviously fail, and fail miserably. These are not showmen, and they are not serious people. They're frauds.

You would think a half dozen "Immersion Trips" (their term, not mine) to the New Orleans Ritz-Cartlon would have at least taught them the Southern phrase "Y'all" is a contraction of "You All" used to address more than one person. :banghead:

mickEblu

Isn't that blonde lady the Englishwoman from a Disney Parks Blog video who said in a British accent "Hey Y'all!" to a singular Tiana animatronic as her log went past it?

That's about all I needed to know to understand this project will obviously fail, and fail miserably. These are not showmen, and they are not serious people. They're frauds.

You would think a half dozen "Immersion Trips" (their term, not mine) to the New Orleans Ritz-Cartlon would have at least taught them the Southern phrase "Y'all" is a contraction of "You All" used to address more than one person. :banghead:

9EC5B8CA-77ED-4D31-A56C-D44823340ED0.jpeg

They are not showmen is a great way to put it.

Rich T

While I think Song of the South is a racist movie for its stereotypes, downplaying the horrors of slavery and romanticizing planations, the tar baby story existed before the word became a slur. It's still incredibly awkward to hear the term used in the film because the word now has a racist meaning, but I don't count the sequence towards the movie's long list of sins as its simply accurately retelling an ancient story.
I’m mainly pointing out that particular element from the film as a huge reason (possibly the #1 reason among many) Disney has locked SotS in the vault forever and now wants to erase every trace of it from the parks.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No

Maybe Tiana uses the pronouns they/them.

mickEblu

How do properly refer to a now (for no apparent reason) frumpy 40 year old woman?

Perhaps, “Mrs. Huxtable?”

She apparently needs some tips from Charlotte who hasn’t aged a day since the movie…

Charita probably thought Princess Tiana as seen in the film created unrealistic beauty standards so they made Tiana look more like an average woman.

Clearly Lottie had some work done. Her face doesn’t even move when she tries to smile.

TP2000

How does one properly refer to a now (for no apparent reason) frumpy 40 year old woman?

Perhaps, “Mrs. Huxtable?”

She apparently needs some tips from Charlotte who hasn’t aged a day since the movie…

Mrs. Huxtable is a huge fan of Splash Mountain and Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah, so I doubt she'd want her name attached with this Tiana mess.

mickEblu

Mrs. Huxtable is a huge fan of Splash Mountain and Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah, so I doubt she'd want her name attached with this Tiana mess.

I honestly think Charita was more concerned with making Tiana look more like women she knows in real life vs. the character you see in the movie. I think part of it is creating "realistic beauty standards" as well as perhaps making her more "authentic" to match what a woman her age in New Orleans would have looked like during that time period. Part of it course is also the whole 2D to 3D thing but that doesn't cause weight gain and a hair cut.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Not sure if we've noticed this yet, but Google Maps has updated to show Tiana under construction. It looks like this was a few months ago, but interesting nonetheless.

View attachment 799099
Yeah, this happened around mid-April. I think there was a mention of it in the DLF thread.

I was most excited about the update because it now shows the updated ToonTown. It also captures the Downtown Disney work and DVC tower, but it's not quite recent enough to have gotten any of the HM work.

TP2000

I honestly think Charita was more concerned with making Tiana look more like women she knows in real life vs. the character you see in the movie. I think part of it is creating "realistic beauty standards" as well as perhaps making her more "authentic" to match what a woman her age in New Orleans would have looked like during that time period. Part of it course is also the whole 2D to 3D thing but that doesn't cause weight gain and a hair cut.

I'm sure you're right, but it just reinforces my growing suspicion that these people are not showmen or good storytellers.

They're focused on making the principal actress in this show look "authentic" and "realistic", but they've got a trumpet playing alligator standing next to her and an old blind woman who can do magic spells on people. Make that make sense. The current crop of Imagineers are frauds. :banghead:

sddefault.jpg

mickEblu

I'm sure you're right, but it just reinforces my growing suspicion that these people are not showmen or good storytellers.

They're focused on making the principal actress in this show look "authentic" and "realistic", but they've got a trumpet playing alligator standing next to her and an old blind woman who can do magic spells on people. Make that make sense. The current crop of Imagineers are frauds. :banghead:

sddefault.jpg

Exactly right. Everywhere they should have been authentic they weren’t and vice versa.

Jedi14

sddefault.jpg
Or they could just be taking advantage of there being a set time period and fashion that they can use. I don’t really understand the drastic negativity this in thread specifically.

TheRealSkull

I know some people don't like Fresh Baked here. But he brought up a good point. Space Mountain and the Railroad closing might be a sign for the opening of Tiana's Bayou Adventure (and also Haunted Mansion). There is no way that Disney would be content with closing four attractions for a long period of time. This could suggest Tiana's might be ready by September if Haunted Mansion is indeed opening in time for the Halloween season in late August.

Normally I wouldn't think this hard about it, but I'm pretty sure Space Mountain is closing for a good while and the Railroad is supposed to be down for a couple months. Those are significant refurbs.

mickEblu

I know some people don't like Fresh Baked here. But he brought up a good point. Space Mountain and the Railroad closing might be a sign for the opening of Tiana's Bayou Adventure (and also Haunted Mansion). There is no way that Disney would be content with closing four attractions for a long period of time. This could suggest Tiana's might be ready by September if Haunted Mansion is indeed opening in time for the Halloween season in late August.

Normally I wouldn't think this hard about it, but I'm pretty sure Space Mountain is closing for a good while and the Railroad is supposed to be down for a couple months. Those are significant refurbs.

I like him. I’m subscribed. I just think he’s better off staying away from the rumor and conjecture department. And stop using CM’s as sources for rumors. That tweet about the critter Country sign last week was embarrassing. Lol. That means some CM saw it backstage and thought that a sign that said “Louis’ Critter Club” was the new sign for Critter Country. 🤦‍♂️ And then told Dave it was the new sign.

I don’t think it’s related. I think they are just in Operation Get Everything ready for the 70th mode. That’s why Haunted Mansion and Splash/ TBA have been closed at the same time in the first place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom