Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Consumer

Bring in the Swamp Boys!
1717978789322.png

Professortango1

I was going to post this in the WDW side of things, but seeing as I can't due to admitting I use Amazon, I'll post it here.

One thing that struck me as I was trying to armchair Imagineer this makeover with similar guidelines (sequel, no Facilier, Tiana is human, etc) was how old school the opening of this attraction was. You cannot do any immersive story in this attraction because of the opening chunk.

I was thinking, even adding stakes to something as silly as "Louis lost his trumpet and the party is in 10 minutes! Can you hop on these logs and help find his trumpet for the big party?" doesn't work because the ride takes so much time to disassociate yourself from the outside world. You ride the first lift hill, Float around the weenie of the attraction. Up a second lift hill which they tried to turn into a story moment. But then after that you still lazily float around the outside of the show building.

This worked perfectly for Splash since there was no push for immersion. The queue established the tone and vibe, but not even the plot or characters. The queue was just quaint and put us into a mindset without the need to tie it into B'rer Rabbit and his world.

Once we board the attraction this prologue is there to get us into the mood. We get to see the outside of the hill close up, get to see the park from up high, enjoy the serenity of the music mixed with the sloshing of the water in the flume. I honestly don't see a way to integrate plot into this section. They tried with Tiana and Louis and the bad ocra gag, but it doesn't work. Because this was never meant to support a backstory or any narrative in general.

Our splash down into How Do You Do was the start of the narrative, us diving into the story.

If we are looking at a passive ride experience like Pirates, the plot needs to be self-contained. It can't involve us, it must be easy to interpret from visual cues, and should tie into easily understood emotional beats. I'm not a book report ride guy typically, but Splash was built to be one. The design doesn't allow for a new plotline to be introduced since the queue and the first show scene are so far apart in terms of time and energy.

Splash never tried to explain why we are boarding logs. Or what this barn was. Or why we are venturing this way. It's simplicity was its success. Tiana instead is bogged down by the idea that modern theme park storytelling needs to be original and immersive and be full of details and plot points to discover.

Brer Oswald

The single biggest issue is the lack of any type of tension of variation of emotion. I think that's a bigger issue than the occasional dead space. Some of that could be tweaked with dialogue. But yes, a few million would need to be spent to rework the Dig A Little Deeper/Lift Hill segments to make this happen.

I also think some reworked music could help. We don't get to hear many people actually SING "Going Down the Bayou" or "Dig A Little Deeper," we predominantly hear the instrumentals.
Completely agree. Makes the entire celebration at the end feel undeserved and unsatisfying.

Brer Oswald

I was going to post this in the WDW side of things, but seeing as I can't due to admitting I use Amazon, I'll post it here.

One thing that struck me as I was trying to armchair Imagineer this makeover with similar guidelines (sequel, no Facilier, Tiana is human, etc) was how old school the opening of this attraction was. You cannot do any immersive story in this attraction because of the opening chunk.

I was thinking, even adding stakes to something as silly as "Louis lost his trumpet and the party is in 10 minutes! Can you hop on these logs and help find his trumpet for the big party?" doesn't work because the ride takes so much time to disassociate yourself from the outside world. You ride the first lift hill, Float around the weenie of the attraction. Up a second lift hill which they tried to turn into a story moment. But then after that you still lazily float around the outside of the show building.

This worked perfectly for Splash since there was no push for immersion. The queue established the tone and vibe, but not even the plot or characters. The queue was just quaint and put us into a mindset without the need to tie it into B'rer Rabbit and his world.

Once we board the attraction this prologue is there to get us into the mood. We get to see the outside of the hill close up, get to see the park from up high, enjoy the serenity of the music mixed with the sloshing of the water in the flume. I honestly don't see a way to integrate plot into this section. They tried with Tiana and Louis and the bad ocra gag, but it doesn't work. Because this was never meant to support a backstory or any narrative in general.

Our splash down into How Do You Do was the start of the narrative, us diving into the story.

If we are looking at a passive ride experience like Pirates, the plot needs to be self-contained. It can't involve us, it must be easy to interpret from visual cues, and should tie into easily understood emotional beats. I'm not a book report ride guy typically, but Splash was built to be one. The design doesn't allow for a new plotline to be introduced since the queue and the first show scene are so far apart in terms of time and energy.

Splash never tried to explain why we are boarding logs. Or what this barn was. Or why we are venturing this way. It's simplicity was its success. Tiana instead is bogged down by the idea that modern theme park storytelling needs to be original and immersive and be full of details and plot points to discover.
The pacing of Splash is one of the most under appreciated works of art I’ve ever seen in a theme park. The way it slowly but effectively transitions into the world of the critters was pure genius. There’s little touches of it in the exterior and in the queue, but you don’t get the major clues until you get past the first lift hill. And then right after that first drop, you’re immersed in this colourful, cartoony community of singing Disney animals.

I don’t think any retheme was going to match up. Every detail of Splash was designed intentionally.

TP2000

Makes the entire celebration at the end feel undeserved and unsatisfying.

Storywise, this ride is a real mess, I think most of us agree.

But after going through the spoken/sung dialogue and stagecraft of it, there's also something so vapid and pandering about it. It may be generational, but it almost feels like it was designed and built by 25 year olds who have always received a trophy just for being there. Or now, just by logging on to the Zoom call for a bit. Nothing can ever be dangerous, or villainous, or troubling.

On this ride, you can't even have a boss you like because that would imply a power structure that some might find uncomfortable; the company is employee owned and there is no strife or disagreement about anything. Tiana's Foods just keeps being more successful and investing any profits back into the local community and the Cooperative. Everything must be comfortable and fawning and full of constant adulation for simply existing. You are amazing because you exist and are here.

This is the first Disney ride that appears to have been designed and created entirely by HR management.

These little desk gifts are available on Amazon. I think we should all order one and send it to WDI for a job well done on Tiana's Bayou Adventure.

71mcRCmRpxL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Send to:
Walt Disney Imagineering
Attn: Tiana's Bayou Adventure team
1401 Flower St.
Glendale, CA 91201

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

However I can confirm that WDI is reassessing the attraction in Anaheim after seeing the reception online (Yes they are very much aware about what goes on online) an emergency meeting was held with the project team at 1401 a few days ago.
I want to believe this, but at the same time they're enclosing the Slippin' Falls drop in DL so they probably haven't learnt their lesson.

mickEblu

Lol wait. Can you elaborate on the Amazon thing?

Consumer

Closing Splash Mountain might genuinely be the biggest mistake Disney's ever made with their parks, and I have to imagine they're aware of it. The entire decision was a knee jerk response to loud mouths on Twitter during a period of race riots. For the next three years the ride went on without complaints, with guests happily enjoying it all. But because Disney didn't want to be put in a bad light, they committed to something they never should have and now they're going to suffer the consequence with this horrendous attractions. Millions of dollar wasted with nothing gained. Bob Iger must despise Chapek for every bit of mismanagement because it's all reflecting on Iger, tarnishing his legacy.

Jiggsawpuzzle35

Closing Splash Mountain might genuinely be the biggest mistake Disney's ever made with their parks, and I have to imagine they're aware of it. The entire decision was a knee jerk response to loud mouths on Twitter during a period of race riots. For the next three years the ride went on without complaints, with guests happily enjoying it all. But because Disney didn't want to be put in a bad light, they committed to something they never should have and now they're going to suffer the consequence with this horrendous attractions. Millions of dollar wasted with nothing gained. Bob Iger must despise Chapek for every bit of mismanagement because it's all reflecting on Iger, tarnishing his legacy.
False. The biggest blunder was changing it from Mulholland Madness to Goofy’s Sky School.

TP2000

I want to believe this, but at the same time they're enclosing the Slippin' Falls drop in DL so they probably haven't learnt their lesson.

That does sound odd. But I'm thinking that it's because they need to move the Louis figure up into the first scene as he is in WDW, but Disneyland's shorter/faster flume doesn't have enough space between the current show building entrance and the dip drop where Mama Odie will shrink us.

So in order to fit in the first few Louis/Tiana scenes in the bayou where they just happen to stumble across fully formed and well rehearsed animal bands with very simple animation who are happy to play Tiana's party gig that night for free, they had to push the first Louis AA as far forward in the flume progression as possible. And that required them to enclose the Slippin' Falls drop to establish mood and darkness for that first dark ride portion of the attraction, and we'll see Louis in that area right where the old Splash Mountain show building used to start.

At least that's what I assume is the reason, knowing how fast Disneyland's flume moves through its show building.

TP2000

What a great picture!

😃

-

No kidding. I don't think we knew how good we had it then, now that we can see what they gave us for Tiana's ride.

Has Mr. Baxter ever spoken about what it was like for him to get to, or perhaps be burdened with, using and re-using the Marc Davis animals from America Sings? He certainly meshed them all into Splash Mountain beautifully, and at the time back then only us Disneyland nerds knew where they came from, or could recognize which Act they performed in on America Sings.

The Swamp Boys perform "Polly Wolly Doodle" in Act II of America Sings, Presented by Del Monte

scan0077.jpg

The Swamp Boys. A riff on The Beach Boys. Get it? WED was hip back then, I tell you! :cool:

Professortango1

Lol wait. Can you elaborate on the Amazon thing?
It is funny because of how dumb it is. Someone mentioned the Co-Op merch is being made in Chinese sweatshops and sold by a company undergoing labor disputes. I then said its sometimes hard to hold yourself to the same standard as you want the world to be. For instance, I hate Amazon and what it has done to commerce and yet I still use them constantly because it is convenient. And ever since I have been banned on the other forum.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
It is funny because of how dumb it is. Someone mentioned the Co-Op merch is being made in Chinese sweatshops and sold by a company undergoing labor disputes. I then said its sometimes hard to hold yourself to the same standard as you want the world to be. For instance, I hate Amazon and what it has done to commerce and yet I still use them constantly because it is convenient. And ever since I have been banned on the other forum.
The corporate take on Progressive American culture is so hilariously cringey and hypocritical. It’s not surprising that Disney would be the same, but the Co-Op aspect of TBA is a choice😂

Consumer

No kidding. I don't think we knew how good we had it then, now that we can see what they gave us for Tiana's ride.

Has Mr. Baxter ever spoken about what it was like for him to get to, or perhaps be burdened with, using and re-using the Marc Davis animals from America Sings? He certainly meshed them all into Splash Mountain beautifully, and at the time back then only us Disneyland nerds knew where they came from, or could recognize which Act they performed in on America Sings.

The Swamp Boys perform "Polly Wolly Doodle" in Act II of America Sings, Presented by Del Monte

scan0077.jpg

The Swamp Boys. A riff on The Beach Boys. Get it? WED was hip back then, I tell you! :cool:
It is interesting how Splash Mountain was built with handcuffs on, needing to reuse these figures and adapt to what show scenes they would allow, and it turned out magnificent. Tiana’s, built with similar handcuffs, has failed spectacularly. Goes to show that it’s not limitations that are the issue but the Imagineers.

Rich T

“Guests are concerned that we turned a log flume with a 50-foot plunge into a preschool-level attraction. What should we do?”

“Let’s get rid of the drop.”
I envision magnetic brakes all the way down. Then a self-affirmation “You Did It! You're so Brave!” song in the ex-splash runoff tunnel.

And hand everyone a star sticker at the exit.

tanc

I wonder how this will pan out for DL, since it innately is missing portions that Tokyo/WDW has. Maybe the story will be retold in CA and be easier to understand? Or will it be worse due to missing scenes? I don't know, but whatever they do to the DL version intrigues me.

Rich T

Closing Splash Mountain might genuinely be the biggest mistake Disney's ever made with their parks…
The idea to retheme and close it was inevitable. A huge media corporation like Disney cannot continue to operate a major attraction based on a film as (unintentionally) offensive (so much so that the company is erasing every trace of it ) as Song of the South.

The problem isn’t the idea to change. The problem is how poorly the change was executed (IMO), especially considering the great potential for thrills and creativity contained in the chosen replacement IP. This new version of Splash could have, SHOULD have been spectacular.

What we got was Frozen Ever After again—but this time BIGGER!!! It reminds me of the Brady Bunch Movie, where Mr. Brady designs every client project to look like the same 197O suburban house because it’s all he knows how to do. 😄

I’m going to Universal to ride Hagrid’s again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom