Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
You do realize that Frosen and Toy Story are
Multi multi billion dollar franchises right? These billions came from paying consumers who voted with their wallets , not the other drivers of content that seem to influence modern disneys decisions. That’s what i believe people object to.
Tiana has been popular in merchandise since she debuted.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
Tiana has never been oversaturated in the parks. Honestly, I was amazed they didn't add her to the Fantasmic barges when they redid it back in the 2010s.

I think this storyline (what we know so far) is convoluted and not as much fun as other possibilities. But none of that has anything to do with how much Tiana has been in the parks. What they're doing now seems fine in that regard. Not overdoing it.

Of course, I've made it clear that I wish Tiana were getting her own ride on another plot of land, but I don't want to get muted in this thread so I'll leave it at that.

PiratesMansion

Tiana has never been oversaturated in the parks. Honestly, I was amazed they didn't add her to the Fantasmic barges when they redid it back in the 2010s.

I think this storyline (what we know so far) is convoluted and not as much fun as other possibilities. But none of that has anything to do with how much Tiana has been in the parks. What they're doing now seems fine in that regard. Not overdoing it.

Of course, I've made it clear that I wish Tiana were getting her own ride on another plot of land, but I don't want to get muted in this thread so I'll leave it at that.
Precisely. It's one thing to wish they'd gone in a different direction with the ride, but I really don't think there's any evidence that there's this huge promotional push for Tiana or PATF-beyond that which would exist for any ride-in or outside of the parks.

I guess there's also a series that's coming to D+, but there's also series for characters from Up, Monsters Inc, etc. Nothing that points to Tiana getting disproportionate coverage by comparison.

mlayton144

Of course they're pushing her more since 2020, she's the character on the most high profile ride project has been working on. Any character in that situation would be pushed.

I don't know that it actually matters where she appears in that short; it just feels like you're looking for a reason to be mad.

Oh really? I had no idea :rolleyes:
Do you deny that they are all over the parks to levels of annoyance? Do you also deny that they are also far more present than Tiana has been in ANY capacity?

PiratesMansion sees consistency and points it out, @mickEblu gets big mad, PiratesMansion shrugs shoulders. Just another day on the forums.

Yes I agree they are over saturated, I cringe every time I hear “let it go”. And yes way more present than tiana - do you want to compare the box office of the franchises to maybe understand the business rationale for why this was?

_caleb

Do you really believe millions of fans are interested in Tiana’s post PatF story? Disney has pushed Tiana in a major way since 2020 to appear more inclusive. In the new Once Upon a Studio short she is the 4th character we see. Do you really believe she’s up there with Mickey, Minnie and Tinkerbell or that Disney has an obvious agenda they re pushing? I like Tiana and PatF. But let’s call it what it is.
You may be right that Disney is working to "appear more inclusive." (I think they're making an effort to actually be more inclusive). Don't you think there can be multiple reasons behind the decision to greenlight TBA and expand Tiana stories with the D+ series?
So that’s what you took from my post? That “nobody” cared about her prior to 2020. So it’s either or right? Black and white? I’m sorry, I don’t have the energy for conversations that aren’t being had in good faith.
Yeah, like this! Tiana/PaTF is good/popular character/story that Disney could do a lot more with. The property also helps Disney engage with different audiences and helps diversify their IP lineup. It also helps them sell merch, add content to D+, address some PR missteps, address thematic inconsistencies in the parks, add a cheap/fast, high-margin snacks to the parks, etc.
So both can’t be true? Tiana can’t be the character that changed my favorite ride and Disney is pushing her hard since 2020 to be more inclusive?

Let me ask you - do you think Tiana appears fourth in the new short because she is as popular or in the same echelon as Mickey, Minnie and Tinkerbell or perhaps am i right?
It's not either "Tiana is in the same echelon as Mickey" OR "Tiana is Disney pushing an agenda."

PiratesMansion

Yes I agree they are over saturated, I cringe every time I hear “let it go”. And yes way more present than tiana - do you want to compare the box office of the franchises to maybe understand the business rationale for why this was?
Not necessary. There's already been enough hand wringing over PATF's box office success and we need not add to it further. It wouldn't add anything at this point that people don't already know: that yes, PATF's box office was disappointing, but that box office alone is not the only metric by which these decisions are made (otherwise "We Don't Talk About Bruno" wouldn't be playing on IASW in the evenings), and the film has managed to find an audience over time-an audience that probably doesn't include many of the mostly childless (or people whose children have grown up long ago) millenials-and-up crowd that posts here.

Clarifying not because I doubt your personal knowledge of this, but because someone or other inevitably feels the need to bring it up every few months.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I can give you that. Good point. :) The premise is a poor one, IMHO, though.
PS- I thought I had shown you a photo of me and my granddaughter at WDW. Must be mistaken. Sorry.
No need to apologize at all. It's possible you did that and I just don't remember. To be clear, I don't refer to everyone as "them." I only do it when I'm unsure of their sex or 100% know someone wants to be referred to as "they/them."

PiratesMansion

Honest question for you as I don’t read every single post in this thread , what metrics do you think Disney took into account when they decided to close splash and replace it with tiana ?
I think it just comes down to:
1. Whether or not others agree, Disney decided it didn't want anything tied to SOTS in its parks, and for that reason, Splash Mountain had to go.
2. Tiana was a logical replacement, given the setting of the film and the setting of Splash within the park, a growing fan base for the original film, and a property that sends an inclusive message-something SOTS pointedly has not had according to many people over the years, including at the film's original premiere.

As much as some people have clearly enjoyed going into Conspiracyland when it comes to this project, I really think this is it. Occam's Razor very much applies here IMO.

Vegas Disney Fan

One could easily argue she’s been underrepresented in the parks, aside from an occasional meet and greet and an occasional parade appearance she’s been MIA for years... but that’s part of why it feels like Tiana overload now, we went from rarely ever seeing her to she’s now the focus of a new store, new restaurant, new ride, new tv show… shes everywhere.

This wasn’t unique to her, characters are often ignored, Rapunzel is wildly popular and all she has is a bathroom, Merida has nothing, etc. If they suddenly rethemed a restaurant around Merida, rethemed a store around Merida, started transforming an old ride into a Merida ride, and announced a Merida TV series people would probably be equally curious why she’s suddenly getting so much attention.

mlayton144

I think it just comes down to:
1. Whether or not others agree, Disney decided it didn't want anything tied to SOTS in its parks, and for that reason, Splash Mountain had to go.
2. Tiana was a logical replacement, given the setting of the film and the setting of Splash within the park, a growing fan base for the original film, and a property that sends an inclusive message-something SOTS pointedly has not had according to many people over the years, including at the film's original premiere.

As much as some people have clearly enjoyed going into Conspiracyland when it comes to this project, I really think this is it. Occam's Razor very much applies here IMO.

With due respect, these aren’t metrics

PiratesMansion

With due respect, these aren’t metrics
I'm telling you the reasons. People like to do cartwheels around those facts, instead of acknowledging that those are the reasons, but they are nonetheless true.

If you're looking for hard data, I imagine you know that neither you nor I nor anyone else posting publicly on this board has that information at their fingertips.

mlayton144

I'm telling you the reasons. People like to do cartwheels around those facts, instead of acknowledging that those are the reasons, but they are nonetheless true.

If you're looking for hard data, I imagine you know that neither you nor I nor anyone else posting publicly on this board has that information at their fingertips.

You had mentioned metrics earlier, was just asking what those metrics were. Can’t imagine aggravating a huge part of your fan base was justified based on any real metrics

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom