Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Nland316

Same. I said this earlier, but I can barely tell what it looks like now, let alone when it’s actually completed. And I’m confused about its exact placement.

I’ll wait until I see it completed, both in the queue and in the overall aesthetics before I pass too much judgement.
Same thoughts here. The scaffolding blocks too much for me to really give a full verdict. The rendering looks pretty though!

Only part I’m a little iffy on is I wish the murals were incorporated a bit more organically into the architecture, instead of a literal rectangular shape that’s cut off. They may dress it up a bit though, so I’m not really hung up on it yet.

I’m assuming DL’s version gets some variation of this artwork, which will be incorporated very differently since our queue set up is not the same as Orlando. So it’ll be interesting to see how they arrange our queue.

Suspirian

This is a very good point. To add, while I suspect there are painting like this mural in New Orleans, it's important to remember that Disneyland is not a realistic depiction of the world, but a romanticized one based on our ideals and stereotypes. Even though I don't particularly like this art style, if it were on the walls of a restaurant in Animal Kingdom, I'd be much more forgiving given that Animal Kingdom is intended to be a representation of the real world. But for Disneyland? It's out of place.
To be honest this is why i enjoy it. It not exactly representative of the period the attraction supposed to take place in but I think it could come together really well with some placemaking and foliage. It think art that is a bit kitschy still has a place in the park. Disneyland in general is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Disney fans of all people should be wary of arguing for lofty ideals of objective beauty given that the art of Disney itself is not exactly held in high regard by self-appointed aesthetes and connoisseurs.
RIGHT? That’s an excellent point. It may be held in a high regard in terms of other animation, but when we as a society think of art and artists, Disney rarely, if never, enters the conversation.

Suspirian

Disney fans of all people should be wary of arguing for lofty ideals of objective beauty given that the art of Disney itself is not exactly held in high regard by self-appointed aesthetes and connoisseurs.
I couldn’t exactly put this together but this is an excellent point and how I felt. Disneyland is considered such a lowbrow thing its odd that so many are turning their nose up at this.

LittleBuford

I couldn’t exactly put this together but this is an excellent point and how I felt. Disneyland is considered such a lowbrow thing its odd that so many are turning their nose up at this.
I myself wouldn't frame things quite in this way, because I personally hold the art of Disney in very high regard indeed. My point is that Disney fans have firsthand experience of finding beauty in things that are disparaged by others as tacky or even vulgar. We of all people should know better than to claim that there is some indisputable, universal standard of beauty.

Professortango1

It don't appreciate the art style and don't think it fits the area as currently conceived.

But then again, I don't appreciate Mary Blair and thought her Tomorrowland Murals didn't fit the area either. And I know that is an opinion that not many share.

At the end of the day, people who say the mural is ugly are right and people who say the mural is beautiful are right. I am glad that it feels like an art piece by someone who is not "refined" or "professional" and feels like some employee could have painted it rather than it being a polished lithograph of Louis slapped on a wall.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

Those murals are done in a traditional Disney animation style and are located inside their queues in a land called Fantasyland. Not outside in old West Frontierland or rustic Critter Country.
2600641317_7c3214263f_b.jpg

Not trying to argue but MK's Splash had this in it.

gerarar

Premium Member
We also do not know where Disneyland’s version will go yet.

At Magic Kingdom, if I recall, you have to go down under the rail tracks, to then enter the queue, in order to even see the barn.
You're correct. During my recent trip 2 weeks ago, I snatched this picture from the train station.

Seemed weird from the elevated platform why it was yellow, but now it's obvious it was in preparation for the mural. Once completed, it'll also be viewable from the train.
20231001_120501.jpg

mickEblu

You're correct. During my recent trip 2 weeks ago, I snatched this picture from the train station.

Seemed weird from the elevated platform why it was yellow, but now it's obvious it was in preparation for the mural. Once completed, it'll also be viewable from the train.
View attachment 748784

I feel like there is just a fundamental misunderstanding at the halls of WDI on what made Disney parks great. It’s not sticking characters/ IP in every nook you possibly can. It’s the Romanticized/ adventurous settings we get to explore. The world building/ place making and aesthetic beauty that set them apart. To modern WDI that generic backside of a barn is a waste of space but it does more for place making than that mural. The intention of the mural on a yellow barn isn’t to tell the guest that they are in 1920s New Orleans. It’s to say “look how authentic and inclusive we are and oh yea this is PatF territory now.” Never mind that it has nothing to do with 1920’s New Orleans or the look/feel of the movie.

San Fransokyo is an egregious example. They took a food court that blended in well with its surroundings and made it loud and obnoxious. With a terrible soundtrack and signs/ flags with hero’s all over the place. For myself it’s gone from a place where I would subconsciously feel I’m on a wharf somewhere to Im sure a place where I will consciously be reminded that Disney shoehorned IP with poor results. Now, how much imagineers hand are tied with all these things I don’t know but I know they have creative freedom. There is no reason the POTC auction script had to be about chickens or Mission Breakout had to look the way it does.

Professortango1

I feel like there is just a fundamental misunderstanding at the halls of WDI on what made Disney parks great. It’s not sticking characters/ IP in every nook you possibly can. It’s the Romanticized/ adventurous settings we get to explore. The world building/ place making and aesthetic beauty that set them apart. To modern WDI that generic backside of a barn is a waste of space but it does more for place making than that mural. The intention of the mural on a yellow barn isn’t to tell the guest that they are in 1920s New Orleans. It’s to say “look how authentic and inclusive we are and oh yea this is PatF territory now.” Never mind that it has nothing to do with 1920’s New Orleans or the look/feel of the movie.

San Fransokyo is an egregious example. They took a food court that blended in well with its surroundings and made it loud and obnoxious. With a terrible soundtrack and signs/ flags with hero’s all over the place. For myself it’s gone from a place where I would subconsciously feel I’m on a wharf somewhere to Im sure a place where I will consciously be reminded that Disney shoehorned IP with poor results. Now, how much imagineers hand are tied with all these things I don’t know but I know they have creative freedom. There is no reason the POTC auction script had to be about chickens or Mission Breakout had to look the way it does.
Preach Amy Poehler GIF by Sisters

TP2000

View attachment 748784

Great photo, thanks for the clarification of where this mural is going for those of us not as familiar with WDW.

But this photo also reminds me just how out of place this modern art mural will be in Frontierland. And also Critter Country. They aren't changing the architecture of the queue or facade at all on either coast, they are just applying modern art murals onto it that remind many of us of elementary school playground murals.

This project seems to get messier and less coherent with every single Parks Blog update they give us. :oops:

Tianas-Bayou-Adventure_Full_53321.jpg

Last edited:

EPCOTCenterLover

I like Mary Blair- I love IASW- but I always felt her murals were out of place and out of theme. I feel the same way about this mural that's coming to Tiana's Bayou Adventure. Its definitely out of place and not the least bit subtle or befitting the surroundings.

TomboyJanet

View attachment 748784
That color is Soo very Six Flags to me. Id expect to see m&M's posters all over.

The artwork as I've seen looks like something a kid made and really says "we didn't feel like making theming so we just put this here." I feel like the idea of Tianas office with these modern drawings kinda makes me expect a desktop computer 🖥️ inside

I think part of my issue is that Splash was my favorite ride and what I considered the ultimate Disney attraction. The vacuum it left is just not being filled to satisfaction of any kind.

Last edited:

Suspirian

I like Mary Blair- I love IASW- but I always felt her murals were out of place and out of theme. I feel the same way about this mural that's coming to Tiana's Bayou Adventure. Its definitely out of place and not the least bit subtle or befitting the surroundings.
This comparison is maybe why I like it more. I think we should encourage aspects of Disneyland to be a bit of a gallery. Im ok with murals or sculptures being a bit out of place is theres still aesthetic value. I think the mural will looks nice once completed with signage and decor.

Nirya

If at Disneyland they put the mural inside the barn as the first thing you see when you walk through the doors, that'd work really well I think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom