Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
It’s a mural on the exterior that leads into the queue related to the characters and story. So?

Congratulations to this artist for getting hired by Disney. If some of you are displeased with her art and think it could be better, you could take some classes, hone in on your craft for a few years, then try and get hired by Disney.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suspirian

I love it actually
It’s a mural on the exterior that leads into the queue related to the characters and story. So?

Congratulations to this artist for getting hired by Disney. If some of you are displeased with her art and think it could be better, you could take some classes, hone in on your craft for a few years, then try and get hired by Disney.
A comment with some sense finally

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I love it actually

A comment with some sense finally
I can barely see it in the photos and videos. It’s not even completed yet, but like clockwork, here we go again. And then folks questioning what a PatF mural has to do with a PatF-themed ride… LOL.

No one has complained about the Fantasyland dark ride murals and/or questioned why they’re in their respective queues.

mickEblu

I can barely see it in the photos and videos. It’s not even completed yet, but like clockwork, here we go again. And then folks questioning what a PatF mural has to do with a PatF-themed ride… LOL.

No one has complained about the Fantasyland dark ride murals and/or questioned why they’re in their respective queues.

Those murals are done in a traditional Disney animation style and are located inside their queues in a land called Fantasyland. Not outside in old West Frontierland or rustic Critter Country.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Art is subjective.

The mural hasn’t even been completed yet. But it’s clearly Louie in the painting. So as long as the painted characters look exactly like their film counterparts, it’s fine?
Those murals are done in a traditional Disney animation style and are located inside their queues in a land called Fantasyland. Not outside in old West Frontierland or rustic Critter Country.
So outdoor murals in a rustic setting are no-gos? Why is that? What’s confusing about that?

LittleBuford

The Disney parks are full of things that are chronologically and stylistically off. People generally don't notice them because they aren't familiar enough with art and architectural history to spot such "mistakes". The bazaar area of Adventureland in Disneyland Paris, for example, is supposed to represent the Middle East but includes murals in a style that has nothing to do with Middle Eastern tradition. When it comes to the aesthetics of rural or rustic America, however, people (well, Americans at least) have a much clearer set of expectations, and the Tiana murals for many don't match those expectations. The ensuing reactions have been unfortunate, because while I think it's fine to question the thematic suitability of the murals, there's no reason to insult the artist herself.

mickEblu

I'm torn. I like the mural itself but am not convinced it evokes the time and place it should. At any rate, I look forward to seeing the final product.

Liking the mural as a piece of art doesn’t mean it belongs where it’s placed. I think the mural is fine in and of itself but I’d be much more ok with it in some inconspicuous spot inside a restaurant or shop even if that wouldn’t necessarily be a perfect fit either. But on the barn in Critter Country or Frontierland? Nah.

LittleBuford

Liking the mural as a piece of art doesn’t mean it belongs where it’s placed. I think the mural is fine in and of itself but I’d be much more ok with it in some inconspicuous spot inside a restaurant or shop even if that wouldn’t necessarily be a perfect fit either. But on the barn in Critter Country or Frontierland? Nah.
I don't think it will look all that conspicuous in context. The barn isn't front and centre of the attraction.

Consumer

The Disney parks are full of things that are chronologically and stylistically off. People generally don't notice them because they aren't familiar enough with art and architectural history to spot such "mistakes". The bazaar area of Adventureland in Disneyland Paris, for example, is supposed to represent the Middle East but includes murals in a style that has nothing to do with Middle Eastern tradition. When it comes to the aesthetics of rural or rustic America, however, people (well, Americans at least) have a much clearer set of expectations, and the Tiana murals for many don't match those expectations. The ensuing reactions have been unfortunate, because while I think it's fine to question the thematic suitability of the murals, there's no reason to insult the artist herself.
This is a very good point. To add, while I suspect there are painting like this mural in New Orleans, it's important to remember that Disneyland is not a realistic depiction of the world, but a romanticized one based on our ideals and stereotypes. Even though I don't particularly like this art style, if it were on the walls of a restaurant in Animal Kingdom, I'd be much more forgiving given that Animal Kingdom is intended to be a representation of the real world. But for Disneyland? It's out of place.

Disney Analyst

I don’t know the set up at MK but at DL it’s in the heart of Critter Country facing the Hundred Acre Woods in a very rustic setting with tons of Pine trees.

We also do not know where Disneyland’s version will go yet.

At Magic Kingdom, if I recall, you have to go down under the rail tracks, to then enter the queue, in order to even see the barn.

mickEblu

We also do not know where Disneyland’s version will go yet.

At Magic Kingdom, if I recall, you have to go down under the rail tracks, to then enter the queue, in order to even see the barn.

Yea, hopefully it isn’t on Disneylands at all. WDW really seems to be getting the shorter end of the stick at least in terms of fit.

Roger_the_pianist

Art wise it DOES fit the time period. This has a very Regionalist look, like Thomas Hart Benton, which was a big part of pre and post WW2 art, and often took on agrarian or industrial themes.

I'm excited about this attraction continuing a story for Tiana and her world. If it was a book report ride, everybody would be complaining about that, too...

Disney Analyst

We don’t even know if we’re getting the mural at all.

I believe they confirmed we are.

At the end of the blog post re: the mural and collaborating with Malaika Favorite:

“Guests can experience this remarkable collaboration between Walt Disney Imagineering and Malaika Favorite in full when Tiana’s Bayou Adventure opens at Disneyland park in California and Magic Kingdom Park in Florida in 2024."

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Just gonna eat some kettle corn and wait to see the finished product.
Same. I said this earlier, but I can barely tell what it looks like now, let alone when it’s actually completed. And I’m confused about its exact placement.

I’ll wait until I see it completed, both in the queue and in the overall aesthetics before I pass too much judgement.

Vegas Disney Fan

Just gonna eat some kettle corn and wait to see the finished product.

Probably the best approach, I’ve been guilty of being upset by previous unfinished products (I really disliked the yellow) and now we know that was just a base color for this mural… no reason to get upset since we have no idea how it’ll look in the end. They could still age this or add greenery that will tie it in somehow.

I’m struggling to see how this will ultimately fit into Critter Country or Frontierland but maybe with further additions it’ll fit in the end. If it doesn’t it’ll earn the criticism, it’s just too early to tell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom