Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

SuddenStorm

Just had this thought- with Splash's closure it feels like a whole era of Disneyland has come to an end.

We had Eo, Star Tours ,Splash Mountain, and Fantasmic back to back. Eo and Splash are gone, and Star Tours and Fantasmic have been completely reworked and are like their original iterations in name only.

mickEblu

We got our last ride in yesterday afternoon and 2 things crossed my mind. One, they are crazy to close this ride because it really is one of the best rides Disneys ever created, and two, it will be nearly impossible to screw this up, the bones are that good, as long as they give us Tiana, some characters, and the music from the movie I don’t see any way it doesn’t remain one of the best rides Disneys ever created.

The only way they can possibly screw this up is to make it overbearingly political, and I can’t see Iger making that mistake.

I actually feel better about Tiana after my ride yesterday, Baxter gave us such a good ride I don’t think even modern imagineers can mess it up.

I don’t think there is anyway it’ll too Splash obviously but I agree with this. Even though they seem to be trying their best to screw it up.

TP2000

We got our last ride in yesterday afternoon and 2 things crossed my mind. One, they are crazy to close this ride because it really is one of the best rides Disneys ever created, and two, it will be nearly impossible to screw this up, the bones are that good, as long as they give us Tiana, some characters, and the music from the movie I don’t see any way it doesn’t remain one of the best rides Disneys ever created.

The only way they can possibly screw this up is to make it overbearingly political, and I can’t see Iger making that mistake.

I actually feel better about Tiana after my ride yesterday, Baxter gave us such a good ride I don’t think even modern imagineers can mess it up.

I'm of the more optimistic sort on this remake, although I'm happy to laugh at them as the idiots they are when they do stupid virtue-signaling stuff like "Employee Owned" for a log ride. 🤣

But I'm optimistic because the Tiana movie had some really good music, and that riverboat show they did for Tiana on the Mark Twain during the summer of 2009 was one of the neatest things I'd seen Disneyland do in the 21st century. It was unbearably cute and happy!

As you say, they'll have to work really hard to screw this up because the bones of the ride itself is so good. That said, I somehow won't be surprised if they do screw it up. Their track record the last few years has not been good, and the stuff they've released so far ranges from iffy to formulaic to just downright cringey. Employee Owned!

If they screw this up, they're truly lost.

TP2000

Why did it feel wrong? People really spoke with those dialects.

Before the 1980's I'd lived exclusively on the West Coast and my only knowledge of Southern dialects was from watching an occasional episode of Hee-Haw.

Then I got moved to the Deep South and was travelling for work, and.... MY GAWD! There were some folks who really did talk like the people on Hee-Haw! That wasn't a gag or an exaggeration, they really did talk like that. Especially in smaller cities like Spartanburg or Knoxville or Durham. Wow. Lovely people, almost to a fault. But you kind of had to work at understanding them.

I did a lot of smiling and nodding, especially in the Carolinas, which seemed to help.

TP2000

LOL. so why do we have to pretend like dialects don't exist?

I have no idea. It's funny you mention dialects. As I was watching the live stream last night and on my third glass of champagne I unmuted and started listening to the youngsters doing their schtick for their viewers, I was reminded that there's now a very distinct SoCal dialect for folks of increasingly distant Hispanic heritage. Becky and Eli, who were just absolute charms to watch (champagne helped at first) had a very distinct dialect and accent, and sometimes slipped into fluent Spanish like when Eli called Brer Fox "my burrito".

I remember there being a theory in the late 20th century that regional dialects and accents in the US were going away, and we'd all end up talking like TV newscasters shortly. But in reality, dialects and accents continue to evolve and become even more distinct in the 21st century. SoCal in particular is evolving its own unique dialect and accent that is different than it was a few decades ago.

Dialects and accents aren't a bad thing. I think they're fun and novel! I have no idea why anyone would be upset at an actor or actress using a regional dialect, unless of course the subject material was such that they were being made fun of instead of being respected for who they simply were. No one likes to be made fun of, but to respect regional differences is quite nice.

TP2000

" One time B'er Deer an' B'er Cooter (Terrapin) was courtin', and de lady did bin lub B'er Deer mo' so dan B'er Cooter. She did bin lub B'er Cooter, but she lub B'er Deer de morest."

Ok Im good lol. Would a kid even understand what hell you're saying? Still don't know if it's exaggerated but I can understand why someone wouldn't want to read this to their kids as a bedtime story.

No kidding. After about one page of that a smart child would probably say "Dad, can you just do Goldilocks and the Three Bears instead?"

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
" One time B'er Deer an' B'er Cooter (Terrapin) was courtin', and de lady did bin lub B'er Deer mo' so dan B'er Cooter. She did bin lub B'er Cooter, but she lub B'er Deer de morest."

Ok Im good lol. Would a kid even understand what hell you're saying? Still don't know if it's exaggerated but I can understand why someone wouldn't want to read this to their kids as a bedtime story.
What is “COOTER?” I know what it is in another context, but I have no idea what it means here. And I agree, I’d never read this to anyone, let alone a child. I don’t even want to read it to myself.

TP2000

What is “COOTER?” I know what it is in another context, but I have no idea what it means here. And I agree, I’d never read this to anyone, let alone a child. I don’t even want to read it to myself.

A "Cooter" is a turtle. The terrapin in parentheses is the clue there, but it's also just an old name for a turtle.

I don't think that's a regional thing. Even my old West Coast brain knew a Cooter was a slang term for a turtle.

Have the kids now created a new meaning for turtle? Do I even want to know? 🤣

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

This actually hurts my head reading it lol. If I was a kid having this read to me I'd just ask for another story, one that my tiny little brain can actually comprehend.

BasiltheBatLord

I was glad to see in the last POVs that the three gators all made it to the end together. Often one or more of them would be gone but all three were there on the last day.

The storks in the Laughing Place were a different story though, it was down to just one of them for at least the last year if not longer.

Figments Friend

The final plunge…..

Tony Baxter, Tom Morris, and assorted fellow cohorts ….on their final ride of the evening.

I love how my boy Tony is prepared for the soaking!
He never did like getting wet….

Tom’s expression is perfect!
😆

2960B87B-3B94-40D0-86AA-759453EC7037.jpeg

Photo from Tom Morris

-

BagOfGroceries

This is somehow backhanded optimism. I didn’t even think that was possible.

DCBaker

Premium Member
New Tiana’s Bayou Adventure details were announced at a recent media event - here are some highlights from the Laughing Place.
  • The ride itself will be the same length as Splash Mountain — approximately 9 minutes at Disneyland and approximately 10 minutes at the Magic Kingdom
  • There will be original animation created by Walt Disney Animation Studios that will be used on screens within the attraction.
  • Songwriter and producer PJ Morton, a native of New Orleans, is creating an original song that will be heard in Tiana’s Bayou Adventure. He is also doing new arrangements of the classic songs within the attraction.
  • Jazz trumpeter Terence Blanchard, also a native of New Orleans, who can be heard playing all of Louis’ trumpet parts in the The Princess and the Frog. He is working to select songs from the film as well as iconic themes from New Orleans for use in the queue.
  • The flora, the wildlife, the sounds are all authentic to New Orleans and of the period. The Imagineers made a point of validating their creative decisions via visits to New Orleans and the bayou and research at The Historic New Orleans Collection.
  • There will be a radio show playing in the queue that talks about the celebration we’re about to visit and informs us that Tiana needs assistance. The radio playing it is based on c. 1930 Avrin radio and record player combination
  • Naveen’s little brother Ralphie will be a part of the attraction as an Audio Animatronic playing the drums. The drum set he uses is based on a children’s set that includes a c. 1900 Chinese tom tom and a c. 1920 Zildjian and Chinese cymbals. The actual set is in the office of the New Orleans Jazz Museum director Greg Lambousy.
  • The attraction will have 17 new characters, all represented by Audio Animatronics. This includes the critter band playing zydeco music.
  • The attractions overall story will touch on some new themes
    • Tiana’s father being a WWI veteran and what’s it like for an African American man to fight for his country back then
    • Tiana’s mom made dresses not only for Charlotte but for other clients in the community which served as an inspiration for Tiana’s entrepreneurship
    • New representation of the other nationalities that make up New Orleans including Philippines, Mexico, Caribbean, nations of Africa and China
  • Tiana will have more new costumes and hairstyles beyond the Adventure Tiana we’ve seen
  • Prince Naveen will play humorous role in the story
  • Look for a sneak peek of new consumer products at the next ESSENCE Fest, which runs from June 29th through July 3rd, 2023
  • While the attraction won’t necessarily be tied to the Disney+ series, they are working with Disney+ for continuity
  • A chair designed by current and former YAYA students for Imagineering will be put into Disneyland’s Eudora’s Chic Boutique. YAYA is a place we visited where people aged 13 to 25 can learn to become artists. While there, each student paints a chair that is sold and the student shares in the profits.
Full article below.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom