Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

TP2000

Good god on the employee owned thing. It's just so funny having Disney of all companies pretend they are advocates for employee owned businesses.

So the future Tiana CMs making a few bucks over min wage have to roleplay now that they are working for a great employee owned business?

Disney: "Did you know this fictional ride takes place in an employee owned business! Wow!"

Guest: "What about your employees manning the ride, are they partial owners of Disney? What benefits do they have in profit sharing!"

Disney: ...

Isn't that weird?!? It's one of the oddest things I've ever seen Disney do with a backstory for a ride.

And they're leaning heavily into it, which makes it kind of creepy. "Employee Owned". Unless you are the CM's who actually work there.

And because every woman entrepreneur who dreams of owning a business and works hard at it for years would just then turn over her business to the employees as a cooperative? Just so... weird. And now even a tad creepy.

CaptinEO

Isn't that weird?!? It's one of the oddest things I've ever seen Disney do with a backstory for a ride.

And they're leaning heavily into it, which makes it kind of creepy. "Employee Owned". Unless you are the CM's who actually work there.

And because every woman entrepreneur who dreams of owning a business and works hard at it for years would just then turn over her business to the employees as a cooperative? Just so... weird. And now even a tad creepy.
At first I thought it was just a badly written backstory for Disney Parks Blog that no one would ever see. But its the first thing we see in construction for the new ride "Employee Owned".

She saved up her money and worked hard to give away her business to her employees?

Maybe the ride is a lesson in economics and TWDC's way of showing us how badly things can go in employee owned businesses. Possibly an anti-union ride.

SuddenStorm

That's what happens when the attraction is developed by a DEI thinktank. Capitalism is corrupt because it creates wealth inequality, and since Tiana is being written to be the perfect role model, of course she would have an employee owned food cooperative. It's formulaic and it's forced.

So now we lose Splash, and the French Market- a location going back to the '60s- to Tiana. Who is going from little to no park presence because the film was a financial failure- to a Tiana store, restaurant, and E ticket attraction within 4ish years.

This new Disney+ Tiana show is gonna have to be better than all of Disney's other Disney+ exclusive stuff, and a huge hit with fans to make this work.

Figments Friend

Been reminiscing about my experiences enjoying ‘Splash Mountain’ over the years…..

Thought I would share this piece of artwork I drew some years ago featuring Tony and his purple pal, seems fitting.

Guess it’s ‘outdated’ now….

)
C01836DE-F40C-4070-A006-87FA22000962.jpeg

Last edited:

BagOfGroceries

…I just thought of something. Don’t salt mounds form because of an excess of oil… no wonder she gave the business itself to the employees, she’s gonna be an Oil tycoon!

zipadee999

I don't see them reusing much of anything. I'd imagine the new ride has a different aesthetic. Modern Disney is too cool for 2D cutouts in their sets. It's not immersive enough for them. Unless its something like MMRR where the goal was to make a pseudo 2D/3D ride.

I always loved the Splash Mountain's sets looked like an elementary school project in a way. Adds to the classic story theme.
I find it interesting that DL wasn’t afraid to use 2D cutouts in their sets like the flowers and grass but the later two versions went with a far more detailed approach. Compare the flowers in the HDYD scenes in Cali and Florida. Cali had some cardboard cutouts that were left over from america sings and Florida got 3D modeled fiberglass flowers and grass. Like you said, this gave the DL version a more charming, cartoony vibe while WDW felt more immersive.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

I find it interesting that DL wasn’t afraid to use 2D cutouts in their sets like the flowers and grass but the later two versions went with a far more detailed approach. Compare the flowers in the HDYD scenes in Cali and Florida. Cali had some cardboard cutouts that were left over from america sings and Florida got 3D modeled fiberglass flowers and grass. Like you said, this gave the DL version a more charming, cartoony vibe while WDW felt more immersive.
I never understood why the lighting was so dark in DL's (and Tokyo's to an extent), it makes viewing the show scenes extremely difficult so I wasn't able to take everything in and look at all the props.

DL's has the weird mushrooms in the Laughin' Place/Burrow's Lament scene and I don't think those are present in either version that came afterwards.

BasiltheBatLord

I never understood why the lighting was so dark in DL's (and Tokyo's to an extent), it makes viewing the show scenes extremely difficult so I wasn't able to take everything in and look at all the props.

DL's has the weird mushrooms in the Laughin' Place/Burrow's Lament scene and I don't think those are present in either version that came afterwards.
The mushrooms are in Tokyo, mostly in the beehive room before the small drop down to the main Laughin' Place room.

Tokyo is also pretty on-par with WDW as far as lighting goes in my opinion. DL was definitely the darkest of the three, although how much of that was intentional and how much was maintenance can be hard to tell.

Vegas Disney Fan

We got our last ride in yesterday afternoon and 2 things crossed my mind. One, they are crazy to close this ride because it really is one of the best rides Disneys ever created, and two, it will be nearly impossible to screw this up, the bones are that good, as long as they give us Tiana, some characters, and the music from the movie I don’t see any way it doesn’t remain one of the best rides Disneys ever created.

The only way they can possibly screw this up is to make it overbearingly political, and I can’t see Iger making that mistake.

I actually feel better about Tiana after my ride yesterday, Baxter gave us such a good ride I don’t think even modern imagineers can mess it up.

Rich T

That's what happens when the attraction is developed by a DEI thinktank. Capitalism is corrupt because it creates wealth inequality, and since Tiana is being written to be the perfect role model, of course she would have an employee owned food cooperative. It's formulaic and it's forced.

So now we lose Splash, and the French Market- a location going back to the '60s- to Tiana. Who is going from little to no park presence because the film was a financial failure- to a Tiana store, restaurant, and E ticket attraction within 4ish years.

This new Disney+ Tiana show is gonna have to be better than all of Disney's other Disney+ exclusive stuff, and a huge hit with fans to make this work.
Let’s see: We’re going from a successful ride based on a film few have seen and even fewer have actually enjoyed…

To a ride based on a much more familiar property. I’m not saying that in itself guarantees a great retheme, but you brought up this comparison, so let’s be fair:

The film Princess and the Frog has become a much-loved animated classic among the under-30 crowd and is generally very well-liked by most viewers of any age. It’s a terrific, fun movie with beautiful animation, appealing characters and catchy songs.

Splash had to change. PatF is a pretty good match for a southern-U.S. based musical water ride.

I dislike the silly and unnecessary food-co-op backstory, and think the idea of a huge money-sucking entertainment corporation trying to present ANY kind of anti-capitalist theme is laughable beyond belief, but… at the end of the day…

It’s a thrilling log flume ride at one of the most popular places on Earth. The rethemed ride is going to continue being hugely popular, whether or not die-hard park fans think it “works.” It could be based on Sharknado and it would still be a smash hit. Fortunately, they went with a more pleasant cast of characters. The fate of the Disney+ Tiana show will most likely have no perceivable effect on the ride’s inevitable huge popularity. Most guests riding Splash 1.0 couldn’t even name the ride’s singing bunny if their lives depended on it.

TrainsOfDisney

I actually feel better about Tiana after my ride yesterday, Baxter gave us such a good ride I don’t think even modern imagineers can mess it up.
I had similar thoughts today…. Unless they tear out the sets and expose the ceilings and walls it will still be an immersive attraction.

I still think they over-thought this whole thing… swap out the rabbit, fox, and bear and add in a trumpet playing gator, some frogs and a firefly and change the soundtrack and you’re done.

And KEEP THE NAME - Splash Mountain is Disney parks 101!!! Don’t rebrand one of your biggest icons!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom